We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Future directions for power restore, per beta notes

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Lore-master
    • Reduced power drain effect on Power of Knowledge
    • Slightly reduced power restore effect on Power of Knowledge
    Full text is here.

I'm not particularly interested in evaluating this as a nerf, but rather, curious what is really the driving motivation for the changes. With RoR, our power return skills were increased considerably, and now there's a strong reversal.

If you look at the rest of the classes, there is a general trend towards reducing the power-restore skills. What this seems to suggest is a movement towards having classes be more self-sufficient with power, especially by loading up on fate.

This raises questions about one of our main functions in a raid. I am nearly certain that the developers have discussed this issue among themselves. Assuming that this change to power restore was made fully aware of the LM role, what would be the underlying reason for these changes?

In the background is a further question about what are the upcoming "major" changes to all the classes.

It sounds to me, that PoK will be with time removed.

With great amount of power from share the power plus high icpr plus small power pools, maybe PoK will be not really needed.

I am not really happy of this, but I will wait until u10 and let see, if there power-management will be still needed.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my first language, sorry for mistakes

It feels like a bit of betrayal.... imp Power of Knowledge was one of our new skills. (And I didn't liked it to be a new skill. The (traited) standardversion should have been that way a long time ago.)
    Now with this "nerf" we just got 2 new skills in Rohan.

With the resizing of power pools the raw amount of power we needed to drain to fill up may be substantially less and not require as much time as it does presently, the reduced effectiveness may be compensating for this. I would like to see some testing of power of knowledge on bullroarer that isn't done on dummies. Some of the extremely low figures cited for power draining were done on dummies and might not be accurate compared to real mobs.

*On more careful reading of patch notes* The quantity of power drained is not really that relevant except for perhaps ettenmoors? What is significant is the amount of power restored from the skill. Power pools will be greatly reduced yet the power restored will only be slightly reduced. My interpretation is the amount of time needed to channel power of knowledge will be reduced from live. Perhaps considerably?
    Last edited by Idiotvillage; Feb 13 2013 at 09:13 PM.

I don't see to many people posting nerfed threads on this....so I am thinking and hoping it was a fair and balanced change.....sounds like there are a lot of variables.

I will wait to use it post update.

inB3:
    duration:17s
    every 1second:target gains 28 power,attacker gains 85 power

Quote Originally Posted by Across View Post
    inB3:
    duration:17s
    every 1second:target gains 28 power,attacker gains 85 power
    Ok sorry if I am being dense but for one.....

What is inB3?

Secondly......

you mean target is drained right....it would make no sense to give them back power....only the attacker should be gaining it.

Or did I miss it entirely and you are talking about Share the Knowledge and not Power of Knowledge........the description you are stating looks very close to the latter not the prior.
    Last edited by vVAnjilaVv; Feb 14 2013 at 10:17 AM.

beta 3 on bullroarer. Probably means target loses 28 and 85 power is restored to lm. Are those figures tested on actual mobs or dummies?

The traited version is 57/128. Testing on a mob indicates that it actually does restore power to the target (combat log messages indicate a heal, and the mob's power was restored to full). Presumably, the power restore to target is a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by anteku View Post
    This raises questions about one of our main functions in a raid. I am nearly certain that the developers have discussed this issue among themselves. Assuming that this change to power restore was made fully aware of the LM role, what would be the underlying reason for these changes?
    Update 10 will force players to rebuild, and it will take a while for optimal builds to shake out. Until we see how other players build their characters, how they maintain power in long fights, how well our own power holds up, and how efficient Power of Knowledge ends up, I see no reasonable way to evaluate this. If I get a chance, I will do some raids on Bullroarer.

Historically, Lore-masters have mostly avoided class simplification, but I fear the day of reckoning approaches.

I am not really worried about it honestly. I have played an LM since 2007 as my main. Power drain today as-is has most of its use in really as an offense in moors. Most players can manage their own power. I do help out healers today, but the group as a whole or DPS just don't need it.

There are many more effective things that I can do in the time it takes to draw power.

I think it is a set back to have just gotten a new skill that will not be used as well as a redo of previous ones and the improved traiting, but in producer later there will be a full restructure it sounds like of classes. These could very likely be on the block.

I dont need to be a battery to be useful or effective in a raid. Between my healing, dps, and debuffs as well as CC, the LM has a lot to offer in that package.
    TheInklingsKin.com

So it looks like the power restore changes in build 3 were in error. Build 4 lm changes

Reduced the power cost of Burning Embers/Improved Burning Embers and Staff-strike/Improved Staff-strike
    Increased the power restore on Power of Knowledge
    Channeling time has been reduced for Power of Knowledge from 17s to 8s (Untraited) and 25s to 16s (Traited), allowing for similar power returns over a short period of time
    Power of Knowledge should now drain power from enemies, rather than return it

greatly reduced channeling times is very positive change would like to see numbers from anyone participating in beta

They halved the channel duration and doubled the power restore, and then didn't change the +channel duration on the trait, so traited power drain is now hilariously (and probably unintendedly) buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    greatly reduced channeling times is very positive change would like to see numbers from anyone participating in beta
    Here you can find discussion about it in beta forum.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my first language, sorry for mistakes