We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestion: Hunter Pet - Hound

Hey Guys

Before I begin, I'd like to explain why I would even bother suggesting a pet.

Reason: While the CC can be strong, there are hundreds of fights I could have won with the use of a pet. The pet just needs to be able to hold aggro and survive. The pet should not only hold aggro, but also benefit YOU.

Why a hound? It just seems to fit both lore-wise and well. Plus it's mans best friend

Much like the Lore-Master pets, you will be able to craft items that will make different color and pattern Hounds available for the Hunter to use. Factions might even give you unique Hounds that better fit their land. There might even be a few on the LOTRO Store as well.

Skills:

Ankle Bite - Your hound holds your target in position for a short time allowing you to take careful aim.
    10 second root. +25% ranged damage for 10 seconds.
    30 Second Cooldown

Flank - Your hound will rush your enemy from the side or rear, causing your enemy to panic from the ambush.
    3s fear. +10% Run speed to the hunter for 5s.
    40 Second Cooldown

Rapid Bites - Your hound tears through your enemy, causing the enemy to stagger and have a harder time hitting you.
    -10% run speed for 10s. +25% Evade and Parry to the hunter for 10s.
    1 Minute Cooldown

PASSIVE: Shadow - Your hound is able to stealth whenever you use Cammo. Like you, it is broken upon its movement or if it takes up any damage.

PASSIVE: Challenge - Every 5 seconds your pet will challenge your target, greatly increasing its threat. IF you trait for pet aggro, the pet will use AoE threat instead of single target.

PASSIVE: Auto-attack - Hound does small or moderate damage every couple seconds.

PASSIVE: Nose of a Dog - Your hound will bark and point its nose in the direction of any stealthy creature sneaking nearby.

============================== ============================== ===

Food:

Like all pets, they need to be fed. This will give COOKS something extra to craft.

Leg Bone - You reward your hound a bone to chew on. This makes him happy.
    +25% Pet damage. +10% increased threat.
    Duration: 5 Minutes

Meaty dish - You feed your hound a hearty dish of meat and fats.
    +20% Max Health. -50% Incoming Melee/Ranged Damage.
    Duration: 5 Minutes

(2) SKILLS ACQUIRED to the Hunter:

Hound - You whistle loudly to call your Hound to your side. He stays at your side until either dismissed or defeated.
    5 Second Cooldown

Command - You instruct your Hound to attack the target with more fury.
    Resets ALL pet skill cooldowns.
    5 Minute Cooldown

(Pet Menu Skills: Attack, Passive, Stay, Come To You, Attack Your Target, Attack Everything, Protect You/Itself)

(3) TRAITS-LINE BENEFITS to the Hunter:

The Bowmaster - 5 Bowmaster Traits - Your Hound now increases threat AoE instead of single target.

The Huntsman - 5 Huntsman Traits - Your hound has +15% Run Speed. Your Hound also attacks 30% Faster.

The Trapper of Foes - 5 Trapper of Foes Traits - You can now summon two Hounds at one time instead of one. Two pet menus will be displayed.

Basically the function of a pet would compliment our caster class a lot. Least in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Suggestions to improve this idea?

All comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Graycient; Feb 10 2013 at 02:29 PM.

countdown reset.

Update

- Pet trait-line benefits added
    - Skill to reset pet cooldowns added

Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Graycient; Feb 10 2013 at 02:31 PM.

/clap for the effort, but it's not going to happen.

Can someone find the dev statement about hunters never having pets?
    [center]RIP Character signature generator, June 2013.[/center]
    [center]Theiol, Fervar, Turthonn, and Vanka, [i]retired LOTRO[/i]|Croue, Folter, [i]Rift - Shatterbone shard[/i][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    Update

- Pet trait-line benefits added
    - Skill to reset pet cooldowns added

Thanks for your reply.
    (faceplam)

countdown to last "Pets for Hunters thread.....

this will never happen because

1: it buffs hunters.
    2: it buffs hunters.
    3: Its been shot down by hunters before.

If we cant even get something that all hunters support (like inductionless press onward) though, then this isn't even going to get a millimeter off the ground.

I personally am not 100% against the idea, but Its kind of an iffy thing that i've seen be shot down by Hunters in the past, so while it WOULD alleviate some pain in the Hunter class, I don't think its the best option forward right now.

I like the idea of it just being a hound, but as said before in many other hunter pet threads.................

IT'S NOT GOING TO PASS.
    1. HUNTERS WELL NEED A FULL REVAMP BECAUSE OF DPS CROSS WITH PETS.
    2. ALREADY HAVE A PET CLASS.
    3. KINDA A RIP-OFF IDEA OF WoW HUNTERS.

See, Lendas, this is why you shouldn't post extremely vague replies in topics...

I personally am not 100% against the idea
    I like the idea of it just being a hound
    That's some progress.

On the negative replies:

World of Warcraft actually copied their pet with Hunter idea from an old RPG game with a Ranger class. I believe that game is available at DosGames.com. It's really old.

While LOTRO has an official Pet class (Lore-Master), you have to admit it also has branch pet class capabilities. The Captain is a great example. Like the Captain, I want it to stay limited.

I don't believe any DPS needs revamping because of a pet. This pet (as explained in the original post)'s only use of DPS is through auto-attacks. It has NO attack skills.
    Last edited by Graycient; Feb 10 2013 at 03:03 PM.

See, Lendas, this is why you shouldn't post extremely vague replies in topics. They can easily be wrongly interrupted.
    no, no, lionheart got it right.

I'm not interested in having a pet for my hunter. I prefer to rely on my own prowess.

Half the fun is taking the time to thoroughly analyze a situation before I begin. With well-planned crowd control, there are no solo situations I can't handle. When I have to tackle an encounter designed for a group, I can pull out a skirmish soldier if things get too hairy.

Cool idea but not something I would want to see. Hunters are not a pet class and this isn, t wow. The devs would never implement something like this without nurfing us in some other way. I would be satisfied if they fix the yellow line and demystify the threat system and make it more equitable for hunters.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b4e77/signature.png]Wayolen[/charsig]

Ah okay cool.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't believe any DPS needs revamping because of a pet. This pet (as explained in the original post)'s only use of DPS is through auto-attacks. It has NO attack skills.
    Forgot to point this out: the idea is just basically an advance version of the lm bear and that having a massive dps class combo with a passive auto-challenge will just make it far too easy for PvE and raiding hunters.

Also, the pet well be useless in the moors unless you go yellow for 2 dogs to keep up those buffs. One dog is near useless because challenge doesn't work on players since there is no aggro in it.

Basically its just turning on the easy button for Raiding/PvE hunters if the hunter dps isn't changed.

And also, I was pointing out to hunter dps not the pet dps. Large dps + auto challenge pet = easy PvE/Raids.
    Last edited by lioheart; Feb 10 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lioheart View Post
    Forgot to point this out: the idea is just basically an advance version of the lm bear and that having a massive dps class combo with a passive auto-challenge will just make it far too easy for PvE and raiding hunters.

Also, the pet well be useless in the moors unless you go yellow for 2 dogs to keep up those buffs. One dog is near useless because challenge doesn't work on players since there is no aggro in it.

Basically its just turning on the easy button for Raiding/PvE hunters if the hunter dps isn't changed.

And also, I was pointing out to hunter dps not the pet dps. Large dps + auto challenge pet = easy PvE/Raids.
    Ah good point, good point.

The idea sounds cool, and that's some nice effort you put into it making all the traits and stuff, but honestly i'd rather see some other changes done to the class before we try to get a pet.
    I'm only lvl 40 so I don't know everything there is to know about this class, but for now i'd just say wait a bit before we could IF the devs actually care about this thread.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060100002af60b/signature.png]Skoraban[/charsig]

Please no more pet classes

Oh no, I played guild wars 2 as a ranger and pets are a pita. They nerf the rangers dps giving a lot to the pet but it doesn't work right and the ranger ends up being one of the worse classes in that game.
    Im sure turbine would make a better job of it but they are just a nuscience tbh.

Well, I not totally disagree this idea, but of course we're not a pet class, and we got lots of stuff broken enough to first want a fix before thinking about other things. First of all, you made a pet class (with all traits, skills...) and that is not right. I would find interesting, for example having it tied to full yellow line bonus and pet only detect stealth and root or slow enemies, for example, would be something not really lore- breaking and not unbalancing anything. What you were saying was just making hunters ridiculously overpowered (just like champs are right now), because not even LMs pet traited would have that good pet. Anyway I like the idea of having a pet for yellow line (only with it and with a really secondary role like stealth breaking or even increasing tracking range.

If you really want a pet to tank for you while you quest you can outfit your skirmish soldier to be a protector and summon him to landscape.
    Melliot - Hobbit Hunter and many alts :)

-I don't need a pet
    -I don't want a pet

I'm playing a Mirkwood master archer and a stealthy one. The last thing I want is some embarrassing animal following me and revealing my position thank to its odor.

-It has been done in WoW indeed, but the association pet-hunter is not a given, nor a standard.
    Why do we constantly get those hunter pets threads? Why don't we do the same suggestions to other classes? Why people don't go bother champions, burglars, minstrels, etc with pets? They are as much entitled as us to be bothered by those threads.

And if unfortunately devs decide to implement pets for the hunter, make it optional, not mandatory.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2821700000017ce96/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Lvl 85 Hunter - Lvl 85 Champion - L 65 Captain

I play a Hunter, and whilst I don't need a pet, I'd like to comment.

Hunters having pets is not a rip off of WOW, it's a reflection on life.
    Hunters have always had pets in every culture throughout history. Gun dogs and Falconry are just two examples.
    If any class was to have a pet then the most obvious class to have one would be a Hunter.

Besides why have a hound for a pet when you can adopt a minstrel or rk as a pet? You don't have to catch it. You don't have to feed it.....Of course insane minstrels can be difficult to control......

Think like many hunters I would rather have an inductionless press onward and maybe have it scaled better.
    A cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about- The Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    I play a Hunter, and whilst I don't need a pet, I'd like to comment.

Hunters having pets is not a rip off of WOW, it's a reflection on life.
    Hunters have always had pets in every culture throughout history. Gun dogs and Falconry are just two examples.
    If any class was to have a pet then the most obvious class to have one would be a Hunter.
    Conversely, throughout history there were many hunters who were doing just fine without pets, relying on their own tracking skills, and many regular armies had animals dressed for combat, not mainly for hunting.
    So let's agree to disagree.
    I just feel that the association hunter-pet is not as natural that some may think. Applied to lotro, a champion-pet, or guardian-pet, or burglar-pet, etc are as obvious as the hunter-pet association.
    So the other classes deserve to be bothered/blessed by the same suggestions the hunter undergoes.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2821700000017ce96/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Lvl 85 Hunter - Lvl 85 Champion - L 65 Captain

I've played Ranger/Hunter archetypes in RPGs (tabletop and various MMOs) for more than 30 years. Some have had pets; others have not. I see the allure of this proposed hound as a means to avoid aggro, but LOTRO Hunters have other CC options currently available, which I do not need to list.

I would not cry out were Turbine to give us war-puppies, but I fear what Rumplestilskin-esque trade the programmers would exact. What would they take away in the holy name of "balance"? Our first-borns? I truly shudder at the possibilities. I've taken three Hunters to 85 without having to stop in the middle of a quest to pick up digital doggie doo-doo. Hunter works for me. I may be old fashioned ... or just old ... but if it works, please don't ask Turbine to fix it.

That said, in the recent survey Turbine sent me, they asked me to rank possible additions/revisions to the game that I thought would be nice. I rated "cosmetic pets" very high. Yes, "cosmetic pets" was an item on Turbines' list of possible revisions. I would love the option for one of my Hunters to have a pet hound ... or falcon ... or ferret ... or wildebeest. And, if the pet gives no true benefit, there is nothing to ... /shudder ... "balance."

Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Cool. Ty for feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast