We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Need Advice to be a good Hunter

So like the title said i need help i have a level 4 hunter and i dont want to have this WEAK hunter soooooo please any advice will be very appreciated i want to know what Stats i need, Traits, you know that kind of stuff soooo i wont be a WEAK hunter again Advice will be greatly appreciated and the answers i get from you if i get any may help other Newcoming Hunters too

Also

I'm on the server Crickhollow and im on pretty often if you want to hang out my char names are Arwensia, Thorthor, Roxygingerz, Buckstin, Roxor, and Arrowdon come and hang out with me sometime

Seeing all the complains from my fellow hunters, may I suggest you to play another class?

But if you keep thinking hunter is your class, please read carefully the ton of threads about hunter class we already have, stack agility, critical and some fate, and don't do PvP solo.

With this little advice you will be a happy hunter.

(If you want to do group content better roll a captain)
    [IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/254/6rpe.jpg[/IMG][FONT=Verdana]
    Tindalas is Laurelin's negative nancy. ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Felathurin aka Brunt)[/FONT]

Explore all 3 class trait lines so you can discover the full range of capabilities of the hunter. Pay attention to effectiveness of each shot (hit focus generation is key to big damage). Don't just randomly spam skills but think about how induction based attacks and focus attacks work together.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b4e77/signature.png]Wayolen[/charsig]

You are asking the wrong questions. Seeking the wrong goals. Being a weak hunter is better than being a strong hunter, in groups, when you don't know what you are doing, because it is more forgiving. You are less likely to steal the aggro and the stats which aren't maximising your killing speed are almost certainly going somewhere else. Most likely on helping you stay alive.

As the earlier poster has said, there are already plenty of formulae ready-posted for killing stuff ASAP. Knock yourself out with those, if you must. You would do better changing your goal to something more like : I want to be a pleasant hunter.

When in groups, let the tank (guard, warden, or occasionally captain) go first and start fighting the bad guys. Don't start shooting first!
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

when you are in an group instance, never do your AOE unless you are suposed to (which is usually never). You can single handedly cause the entire group to wipe. pay attention to the enemy's status, don't be the one breaking the stun/root/daze/fear on the enemy.. (for that reason the "skill auto-target nearest enemy" option in the settings is something you should disable immediately) don't pull threat from the tanks, let the tanks build sufficient threat before you build your own DPS. usually hunters are the one with most awareness in the group (due to them usually playing zoomed out at almost max range) so they may be expected to call out when there are additional adds, and to pull adds away from the casters.

when you solo... time your attacks on enemy patrols so you can avoid pulling more enemies than you need to. know when to run away when you do a bad pull. our crowd control skills are quite weak, but they are there to keep us alive when needed. so don't forget to use them as the situation demands it. never allow yourself to be swamped by mobs, or you will find yourself back in the resurrection circle very quickly.

Your traits depends a lot on your play style, hunters in fellowships don't need as much mitigations as hunters playing solo, so it will be hard to advice you there. but as i am usually a solo hunter, i usually run with Determination (for the agility), Innocence (for the mitigation), Tolerance (for the tactical mitigation, + agility) Patience for the power regen (to be changed after the next update), and Empathy (for the mitigation). I usually run in precision stance, with a situational switch to endurance stance when i am grouping...

Hunters will always be my favourite class. We are great in solo landscape quests, and I find that i can level a hunter a lot faster than i can with the other classes. hope you enjoy your hunter as much as i enjoyed mine
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001da17c/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I found that access to gear that helped me survive (armour, mainly, although some jewelry can be of great help) is the key, especially in mid-levels.

Invest your money and time in your bow. Have a good blade, but if the mob closes to melee range, you have half-lost. Keep them at a distance if possible. You excel at Range, but never will out-hack a real melee class.

Power. Put energy into maximizing and maintaining Power. Will for base Power, Fate for In Combat Power Regeneration, also direct adds to Power and ICPR. Mid-level (again, kind of a rough spot for Hunters) it gets very hard to keep enough Power to keep shooting in group situations and long fights. Practice those skills that reduce Power consumption or restore Power.

Read, lots. Inspect other Hunters you see, and don't be afraid to send a tell asking why they did something or traited something or equipped something if it doesn't make sense to you. Most Hunters, I've found, are more than happy to discuss it in Tells, and point out things you might have missed. (Sure, there are some that will be rude and tell you to do bad things, but those are likely Champions playing an Alt Hunter. ) (Just kidding, Lurking Champions!)

You've taken a good first step in asking here.

Good Hunting!
    [SIZE=2][B][I]Concerts, Crafting, Cosmetics, Horse Races, Chicken Runs, Role Play, Exploration, Screenshots, Video Capture, ... Oh, yeah, and some fighting the forces of evil bent on world domination and tyranny. [/I][/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by TiNdA-LoS View Post
    Seeing all the complains from my fellow hunters, may I suggest you to play another class?

But if you keep thinking hunter is your class, please read carefully the ton of threads about hunter class we already have, stack agility, critical and some fate, and don't do PvP solo.

With this little advice you will be a happy hunter.

(If you want to do group content better roll a captain)
    Were you listening to what he said?! He said ADVICE not 'this is how to play the hunter'! LEARN TO READ BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a bit more OP:

1) learn your non DPS abilities
    Practice using your traps on a regular basis. watch how mobs will respond, and make sure you are pulling them in a way so you trap the one you want. pick up some level appropriate traps as well...traps are great.
    ocne you get bards arrow, use it off CD...you want it ready on a whim.

2) practice group stuff. aside from captains, hunters are one of the best group assist classes out there. if the tank misses a mob thats pounding on a healer, pull the mob back to the tank (you will be able to get threat from the healer easily). Or pull a mob aside with a well placed heavy hit, and trap it (this is where the mechanical traps come into play). Learn what "Assist target" is, and make sure you are assisting the tank (FYI....its an option you can toggle in your combat options menu).

Ask the tank if he wants you to be the main assist. If he doesn't (or has no clue what it is), then just use him as the main assist. If he does (sign of an experienced tank!) then tell the group that they should focus on your target. Either way, your helping to get the party to focus on one target at a time (yours or the tanks). it's easier to focus on your target because one, you will often pull aggro on your target anyways (at early levels and in randoms), and two, a good tank will be switching targets ALLOT. makes it tough for a group to focus on his target.

but the hunters target is an easy one. using target assist is an ADVANCED strategy, but a very effective one. So if your nervous about trying it, just default to using the tank as an assist. But it helps to know how to set up assist early on, and setting a hotkey for it is huge benefit. learn its basics early on...being able to work with target assist will really make you stand out as a skilled DPS. I kid you not...targeting in a group is 80% of the reason why hunters get a bad rep (AOE is the other 20% hehe). Learn to target effecively.

3) Learn how to kite. For a hunter, a basic kiting principle is easy.
    STEP ONE: attack bad guy.
    STEP TWO: use Low Cut (make sure it hits....running away with them right behind you doesn't help allot)
    STEP THREE: run straight THROUGH the mob...they have to turn around and follow you...this can help reduce the amount of attacks to your behind as you run away.
    STEP FOUR: run a safe distance away....watch out for other mobs!
    STEP FIVE: turn fast, and unload on him as he slowly feably tries to get to you.

....repeat ad nauseum until perp is ded. This is a very basic approach...im sure other have their own ways of doing it, but this one is straightforward and easy to do. it allows you to kite back and forth in a linear pattern, which works well in tight spots (caves, or places with too many extra mobs around). once you get high enough, you can get a legacy weapon buff that adds a bleed to your low cut...it's totally amazing with this strat!. Kiting is a good control factor...you are not a tank. you get too many mobs on you and your health will start to whittle fast.

Last Note: coming from the perspective of a player whos been here a loong time, and tanks and heals as much (if not more) then he does DPS, I can tell you that the DPS players that stand out and make it on my friends list are the ones that understand target assist, know when using AoE is good and bad, know when and what to shoot in a group, and know how to protect my healer when I simply can't get to them in time. those 4 things make a DPS player someone I thoroughly enjoy playing with. Hunters are a great support class, and I wish more hunters understood how they play into a group. their role is simpler in design then most, but tougher in exocution (for that reason). learn your hunter in and out, and you will be wanted.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001e4fcd/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Have fun.

Since you're only level 4, don't stress about optimizing gear and stats. Until about level 40 you'll be outgrowing gear and gaining new skills so fast it's not worth the hassle. Enjoy the game and storyline. Have fun. Make friends. Make good decisions on gear and skills and obviously pick the best you can find, but don't stress it for now. Settle with something and just play.

Play smart. Keep critters at range. Always prep for a fight (focus at least, maybe lay a trap or eat, etc). When soloing, ambush targets at max range. When in a group, let the melee guys get aggro before engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by elyxthaxzus View Post
    Practice using your traps on a regular basis. watch how mobs will respond, and make sure you are pulling them in a way so you trap the one you want. pick up some level appropriate traps as well...traps are great.
    This. ^^^

Notice that in many areas mobs come in pairs, often one melee and one ranged. Using a trap on a ranged mob is pointless as they can still shoot at you while the melee mob runs into you.
    Lay a trap and target the ranged mob. The melee mob will run at you triggering the trap. The trap should then hold him in place long enough (providing you don't accidentally hit him) for you to take out the ranged, then turn your attention on the (hopefully) still held melee mob.