We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which Hytbold armour for my Minstrel?

My Minstrel just made level 85. She can now wear Hytbold armour, and my LM has been doing the quests long enough that she has accumulated enough tokens to buy it for her.

There are, as you've probably noticed, three categories of armour available for each class, corresponding to the three trait lines.

Dhuoda has four blue, three yellow class traits. So does anyone have opinions on what kind of armour I should buy her? Gear of the Hytbold Watcher or Gear of the Hytbold Song-protector, or a mixture?
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

For healing I'm using 5 pieces of Hytbold Watcher set, mainly for the 5 set piece bonus (+10% healing) and my sixth piece is Song-protectors leggings.

For PvE DPS I'm using 3 pieces Song-Protector and 3 pieces Skjald.

But that's soon to change cause with u10 set bonuses will be 2 & 4.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001ac2d4/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It's really, really up to you - neither set is better than the other, it just comes down to what you want to focus on. I've mainly seen people do one of four things (ignoring a mini who mostly plays solo and got a DPS set):

Usually traits 4y/3b, got Watcher to make heals more powerful and closer to 4b
    Usually traits 4y/3b, got Song-Protector to make anthems even better
    Usually traits 4b/3y, got Song-Protector to make anthems last longer, closer to 4y
    Usually traits 4b/3y, got Watcher to make healing even better.

Pick whichever one sounds best to you. As long as you aren't wearing Skald, you're golden.

With the update coming, you'll be able to get a 4-set bonus (the current 5-set bonus) and also get a 2-set bonus (the current 3-set bonus). So that'll be nice, though we'll be losing the stat bonuses.

watcher
    Master Blaster, Up-and-Comer, Explorer of the Brown Lands

Resolve for Healing, 4/2 for dps

I use the full Resolve set for healing.

I use 4/2 Skald/Watcher for dps for the double stat set bonus, 76 will, 1176 finesse, 388 crit.
    After the update ill still use 4/2 for the Skald/Watcher for the +10% wizard/valar dmg (-5 sec cd for piercing cry) and the +5% ballads and coda dmg. This gives almost all skills some dmg increase like what I aim for with the current stat bonuses.
    Last edited by Of_Ironbeard; Feb 14 2013 at 12:57 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000017d8b9/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Croni 85 Champ. Cronii 85 Mini. Navien 85 Warden. Cronodir 85 LM. Cronobo 85 Burglar.

If I remember correctly, you are mostly playing solo or duo, not full fellowship or raid content. In that case, I'd make sure to get a least a few pieces with finesse on them to have a decent chance of hitting enemies. The healer set (watcher of resolve) unfortunately does not have any finesse at all, which is really noticable (and negatively so) in any kind of content where you actually try to hit enemies.

Personally, I've got five pieces of the watcher set for fellowship/raid healing, but switch around equipment to include 2 pieces of the song-protector set (both with finesse on them, plus extra finesse from the 2-set bonus the song-protector armour offers) when I'm playing in a small fellowship or solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramor View Post
    If I remember correctly, you are mostly playing solo or duo, not full fellowship or raid content. In that case, I'd make sure to get a least a few pieces with finesse on them to have a decent chance of hitting enemies. The healer set (watcher of resolve) unfortunately does not have any finesse at all, which is really noticable (and negatively so) in any kind of content where you actually try to hit enemies.
    Honestly, I never noticed any kind of difference how much finesse I carry around. Not in landscape solo content. Yes, during the rare occasions I can run instances in ws, I see the necessity.

@OP: Considering that you're mainly a soloer/duoer, I really don't see why you're traited blue and yellow at all. No matter what armour you wear, isn't it extremely tedious to kill anything without a single red trait, even in warspeech?

Personally, I go 5r/2b in dps mode and 4b/3y in healing mode, and I wear the watcher set all the time. No need to optimise gear for questing (apart from legendaries), but as you don't heal groups anyway, you can take the skald set just as well.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

I personally wear the watcher set 100% of the time whether or not I'm DPS'ing, or healing. Works fine for me. Currently I'm actually not using the full set though since I get a horselords circlet that offers better tact mit / will / morale. I would recommend just using whatever works best for you but Watcher works best for me since I'm running between 5b2y or 4b3r (depending on if I'm in the moors or not.)