We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Little advice/help

Hey there. I am a returning player (took about a year and half off) and have an issue. When I tried to return my account was locked. When i got that fixed i discovered all my characters were stripped of equipment, crafting supplies and cash (yay!). I submitted a ticket for that too (as directed) and have received a reply. I was given cash for my gear since it had been so long they couldnt replace my lost equipment.

Ok, now the issue. I have NO clue what I should do to get gear. I am feeling very flustered and a little overwhelmed. My brother is revisiting this game and I wanted to join him ( i will be paying the subscription, no need for f2p imo) but this is a lot for me to process. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because as it stands now im not feeling as motivated to return

I had five characters effected but there are only three im interested in playing.
    Level 41 Captain; given 13 gold and 100 token of some kind
    level 32 Warder; given 9 gold and 100 tokens
    level 29 Rune Keeper; given 8 gold and the 100 tokens.

I dont know what the tokens are and what they are for, sorry.

Also, im on this account (F2P) because for some reason i couldnt log into the forums with my actual account lol.

Thanks in advance.

Edit; had Lore Master not Rune Keeper, sorry
    Last edited by HippiekillerVX9; Feb 06 2013 at 03:18 PM.

Talk to friends that have crafters. Have them make you a full set of armor, weapons, jewelery, shields, bows for your characters. No friends - you will have to make some. If necessary you have silver and gold to pay someone to build the equipment.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Wow, that's tough. It looks like you were hacked... Turbine probably locked your account because of that. It's really a lot to process. It has to be disorienting, like your house had been burglarized!

One thing you could think about is starting a new character along with your brother. This sidesteps the whole issue of figuring out what to get for your existing characters, and gives you time to learn how the game is working nowadays. Once you feel confident in the game, it will probably be easier to figure out what you want for your old characters.

Gearing out your existing characters really does kind of depend on what tokens they gave you, as well as what you have in terms of skirmish currency. It's possible that you've been given valuable barter tokens for a faction in each character's level range (like Elgain tokens for the 30's or what they use in Evendim at the Ranger camp for your 40's) and you can trade those for very nice gear.

Another thing you might do is let folks in-game or on your server's forum know what happened. Crafters there might be willing to make you good gear, possibly crit-crafted which is very nice at all the levels your characters are at. I know I have some gear lying around in my storage alt's packs that's waiting for a good home and I'm probably not alone in this type of behavior. That will certainly get you rolling while you figure things out, and you'll eventually outlevel anything you have anyway.

If you don't want to ask for help, you can use the gold to see what's available in the Auction House. That will be much, MUCH better than buying gear from NPCs. At your character's level, people are still grinding their crafting and you might find decent gear for well under 100 silver a piece. You'll be depending on who is trying to get rid of what at the time you look, so there are no guarantees.

I hope this helps, and you get back into the swing of things soon!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I hope this helps, and you get back into the swing of things soon!
    Thank you, that did help some. It also gave me some hope for the community and my future here. I asked support what the tokens were and was told this:
    The items that we mailed you can be bartered for skirmish marks at skirmish camps across Middle Earth. These marks can then be bartered for level-appropriate gear for your class from NPCs in the same camp
    Im not a big fan of asking for help so i will have to make it work somehow lol. Now my concern is I dont really know what I SHOULD get for my characters. Any reference guides you (or anyone else) suggest?

PS; I am not looking forward to the idea of making new characters. Mostly because I already have the classes i am interested in. But it might be the easiest option lol.

Which server are you on?

If you don't feel comfortable asking for help, especially if you don't have friends online anymore, do you have any crafters? If so, you might be able to craft appropriate weapons/armour/jewellery for yourself.

If you don't have any crafters and you don't want to try to level any up (because it'd be slightly hard with no gear to start with!), you can try searching the auction house. There are very often people selling gear there that they were crafting just to level up their crafting skills. You can put a limit by level when searching the auction house. (If you don't know where an AH is, look in Bree, Michel Delving, or Thorin's Hall).

If you can't find things on the AH, try asking in /trade while in Bree for someone to craft you what you need in exchange for silver. There are usually plenty of people there, and someone might be willing to trade with you. Alternatively, you could join your global looking for fellowship channel (usually glff on most servers) and try to trade there. To join a channel, you type /joinchannel glff in the chat box, and can then talk to others in the channel by typing /1 (assuming it's the first channel you've joined - if you've joined other ones before, you might need to use /2, /3, or /4).

As for what to get - just get the armour/weapon type for the class that's closest to your level. If you have options when it comes to stats, focus on might for captain, vit or might for warden (though this is changing in the next update to be agility instead of might - but there will be a grace period, so if you play at all, the might will last you until you're in the next set of gear) and will for LM. Make sure you also have some vit on your gear for all three classes.

The tokens you got were marks, which can be traded at a skirmish camp. However, I don't think that many marks would get you enough gear for all your characters. Try going to a skirmish camp (there's one just outside Bree and one just outside Thorin's Hall) and looking at the appropriate gear trader for your class (heavy for captain, medium for warden, and light for LM). Also check out the 'Classic' trader, they might have something good, too, depending on the level.

Do not give into any temptation to buy gear from the Lotro Store - it's not worth it, and you'll need the TP for other stuff down the road.

Good luck - being hacked *sucks*, and when they can't restore your gear and instead give you gold, it sucks even more. I've helped a couple kinnies out in the past, and it's always depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiena View Post
    Which server are you on?
    Doh! I should have included that, duh. Im on Elendilmir.

As for crafting my own gear, that was all sold also. All of my bank space was cleared out too. I couldnt even begin to know what exactly I had stored there but i do remember I had some fairly pricey crafting drops I had been hoarding.

Anyway, i appreciate the responses. I will get on tonight and see what I can figure out. Maybe i will get lucky and this will go easier then I fear. Doubtful but who knows lol.
    Last edited by HippiekillerVX9; Feb 06 2013 at 07:07 PM.

I believe they changed the required forum password length during the time you were away. I know I had to go and request a reset email or some such thing, possibly from the account site. So if you had a shorter password, which also might have helped the thieves :/, you might need to change it to a longer one. Also might be prudent to take a screenie of your vault contents every so often just for reference.
    ED: Also remember that your password to access the game and your password for here are now the same.
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Feb 06 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HippiekillerVX9 View Post
    Doh! I should have included that, duh. Im on Elendilmir.

As for crafting my own gear, that was all sold also. All of my bank space was cleared out too. I couldnt even begin to know what exactly I had stored there but i do remember I had some fairly pricey crafting drops I had been hoarding.

Anyway, i appreciate the responses. I will get on tonight and see what I can figure out. Maybe i will get lucky and this will go easier then I fear. Doubtful but who knows lol.
    Drat, if you'd been on Vilya or Firefoot, I could have helped, I have crafters on both servers.

Though you might be missing the supplies, if you already have crafting skills, you could buy the raw ingredients on the AH (if there are any, sometimes there aren't) and craft your own gear. Otherwise, yeah, see if you can get the gear otherwise. Good luck!

Yea, it might be something like that. However, one of the first things i did was change my password and it most definitely is not short lol. I wonder if the issue is because my account is so old without being updated when this new system began. I should probably contact support about it but I feel like I have already used up enough of their time lol.

Now my concern is I dont really know what I SHOULD get for my characters. Any reference guides you (or anyone else) suggest?
    It's not as tough as you'd think. Go to a skirmish camp and trade in your tokens. Then go to various NPCs at the skirmish camps and see what armor there is for your level. There shouldn't be more than 3 choices appropriate for your class and level (and probably only 1) and you can compare them right there by hovering over each item to see its stats.

Just remember that skirmish marks are shared between all your characters, so don't spend it all on one character!

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post

Just remember that skirmish marks are shared between all your characters, so don't spend it all on one character!
    Now THAT is good info to have. I suspected as much but wasnt sure. Thank you.

Now THAT is good info to have. I suspected as much but wasnt sure. Thank you.
    When you look in your wallet (premium or not), some currency is in white text and some is in green. Green-text items are shared between all the characters on that server. (You can also hover over the line and the tooltip will say "shared", for those of you with trouble seeing the color green.)

If the louts who raided your account left any tokens or other random currency in your vault, try placing it into your inventory. It may go into your wallet and save you space... not that vault space is a problem for you at this time.