We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Proof that Boromir's a Guardian!

I've spent a good 30 minutes creating this just to show that Boromir was a Guardian.

Shown here is Boromir using the "Shield-swipe" skill. His horn? Probably a heroic bound version of the "Simple Rally Horn" found in the LOTRO store.

Boromir died when he even Overpower due to a 30% reduction in his in his armour rating and mitigations.

"The shield is like the arm of the Guardian - they must never be apart."

Bump.

LOL

Damn those mits reductions!

Haaahahahaha - I've been saying forever that Boromir was a guardian (He's the only person with a shield! And he holds aggro on all those Uruk-hai until he dies! Darn ranged adds...), but the mit reduction totally seals the argument! lol +rep
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

he should have stayed in block stance instead of trying to show his 'Quality' in overpower!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/29221000000064734/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Redamir-Guardian/Anothred-Captain/Ezekred-Champion/Redsmini-Minstrel/Redorlan-Hunter/Lorered-LRM

haha... I can see where they are coming from saying the guardian is based on Samwise in this game, but seriously, Boromir seems like the much more logical choice!

I much prefer to have talked to him about my legendary skills then take lessons from the wee little lad.

(or maybe Boromir couldn't read and that's why Elrond gave those books to Sam to study for us... he was all brawn and no brains, a VERY typical characteristic of a certain person with lots of strength, power, is tough... ahem. That makes even more of a case he is a guardian! :-p)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000167482/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hey, that was nice.

All things considered, I'd figure Boromir to be a better figure to base the Guardian on than Samwise. I actually laughed the first time I saw that the Guard was based on Sam, after I'd played my Guardian a while. Boromir had his faults (like not having his shield on his back when out looking for Frodo, thus overpower ), but I like the thought of following in his rather studly footsteps. Sam did put himself in between harm and Frodo, but with light/no armour, and a sword, with no shield, I never thought of Sam as a Guardian type. More of a bodyguard, burglar, cook type.

Thanks for the nice thread. It's enjoyable to give thought to things like this, in my downtime...

Regards... Blunte Foamfollower, Order of the Ebon Hawk

only one shield block reaction on all movie?

It also means that finess was already implemented that time.
    Btw .. he was overpower becouse shield block are rare after finess and reactive block only does 65 dmg on creep
    Btw2 he held no agroo Couse it does not work even to change target on pvp.. the hobbits have hided...

Quote Originally Posted by Malidan View Post
    haha... I can see where they are coming from saying the guardian is based on Samwise in this game, but seriously, Boromir seems like the much more logical choice!

I much prefer to have talked to him about my legendary skills then take lessons from the wee little lad.

(or maybe Boromir couldn't read and that's why Elrond gave those books to Sam to study for us... he was all brawn and no brains, a VERY typical characteristic of a certain person with lots of strength, power, is tough... ahem. That makes even more of a case he is a guardian! :-p)
    I know this is tongue in cheek, but Boromir was the heir of the Steward of Gondor, for cripes sake, I'm sure he was extremely well educated! And although Tolkien suggests that he wasn't as dedicated a scholar as Faramir, that doesn't mean he was uneducated or stupid.

But I do agree that Boromir would make a much better Guardian exemplar than Sam. How could you possibly be more guardian-like than the way he protected Merry and Pippin at Amon Hen?

Quote Originally Posted by Finduilas88 View Post

But I do agree that Boromir would make a much better Guardian exemplar than Sam. How could you possibly be more guardian-like than the way he protected Merry and Pippin at Amon Hen?
    Totally agreed! Hail Boromir!

Boromir as the model Guard. Not even close.

Boromir was fail. He failed Galadriel's test, he failed the challenge of the ring, he failed to protect the hobbits, just failed.

He was arrogant and cocky and he was FAIL.

Guardians are EXACTLY like Sam. He was the perfect Guardian. He did not seek the glory, but quietly protected his charge and went all the way to Mt Doom and in the end carried the group to where they needed to be. In the one case where he was needed most, he single handedly charged into an orc fortress and rescued his party from certain doom.

If you think Guardians are the ones who seek fame and the admiration of others, you don't understand what it is to be a Guardian. Guardians are the quiet hero. You don't see huge dps numbers next to our names. We are the first to die. Our pain is other's gain. At the end of the day our repair bills are highest, our success is measured not by how much or how far, but by how little and how few.

Guardians are those that step to the front when the battle is to begin, and step back when it is over. A Guardian wont be with all the others celebrating the victory, but will have gone out to stand watch relieving someone more tired so they can go inside out of the cold.

He will eat and sleep last. He will do without. He will take the heaviest burden with the least protest. He will be the one you hope to see on your left and right in ANY fight.

That is a Guardian and those traits are what SAM defines. I am proud to have Sam as our model.

Djasi,

A Guardian

Jeff,

That was absolutely poetry.

/swordsalute, my guardian brother!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffF611 View Post
    Boromir as the model Guard. Not even close.

Boromir was fail. He failed Galadriel's test, he failed the challenge of the ring, he failed to protect the hobbits, just failed.

He was arrogant and cocky and he was FAIL.

Guardians are EXACTLY like Sam. He was the perfect Guardian. He did not seek the glory, but quietly protected his charge and went all the way to Mt Doom and in the end carried the group to where they needed to be. In the one case where he was needed most, he single handedly charged into an orc fortress and rescued his party from certain doom.

If you think Guardians are the ones who seek fame and the admiration of others, you don't understand what it is to be a Guardian. Guardians are the quiet hero. You don't see huge dps numbers next to our names. We are the first to die. Our pain is other's gain. At the end of the day our repair bills are highest, our success is measured not by how much or how far, but by how little and how few.

Guardians are those that step to the front when the battle is to begin, and step back when it is over. A Guardian wont be with all the others celebrating the victory, but will have gone out to stand watch relieving someone more tired so they can go inside out of the cold.

He will eat and sleep last. He will do without. He will take the heaviest burden with the least protest. He will be the one you hope to see on your left and right in ANY fight.

That is a Guardian and those traits are what SAM defines. I am proud to have Sam as our model.

Djasi,

A Guardian
    BY that definition there are NO Guardians. Everyone in the story bar one failed the challenge of the ring, that one was Bilbo and even he needed help. Frodo failed the challenge, refused to destroy the ring and would have used it for personal power if Gollum and not intervened. Every member of the party failed to protect the Hobbits. In fact a better Guardian than Sam would be Gimli (Overpower Guardian).
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Jun 01 2013 at 04:35 PM.

oh Podgie.

Wrong on so many counts.

Galadriel was offered the ring and withstood it's call. Gandalf also was offered the ring and refused. Bilbo wore it and had to be convinced to remove it.

Sam wore it and gave it back easily and willingly. He was up to a test only 2 others in history had truly passed, Gandalf the Grey and Galadriel. What man, dwarf or hobbit of any age would not be proud to be a member of such a group?

Gandalf the grey, wielder of the flame of Anor, Galadriel wielder of Nenya, the Ring of Adament and Sam Gamgee-Guardian!

Now again I say I am proud to have Sam as our model.

Djasi,

A Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by JeffF611 View Post
    Wrong on so many counts.

He was up to a test only 2 others in history had truly passed
    something doesn't exactly add up here :/

oaceen guardian | oacion rune-keeper | oacao warden
    Guardian War-Steed Guide

Long live the real Guardian Boromir, Son of Denethor, Lord of Gondor!

Last edited by rambokc; Jun 07 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Bump!

Poor Boromir

Maybe he needed to level more to be in the Uruk area.

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    BY that definition there are NO Guardians. Everyone in the story bar one failed the challenge of the ring, that one was Bilbo and even he needed help. Frodo failed the challenge, refused to destroy the ring and would have used it for personal power if Gollum and not intervened. Every member of the party failed to protect the Hobbits. In fact a better Guardian than Sam would be Gimli (Overpower Guardian).
    I can see where you say Gimli would be a better guardian, but actually, he'd be the champion bro. Legolas is the hunter, Aragorn is the Cappy, Galdalf was the LM. And so on and so forth. But SAM was the guardian. BY DEFINITION! (Straight from the new player guide!)
    You may be wondering, "Why should Guardians bother with Shield-blow in solo play? Threat generation has no inherent advantage for a solo Guardian." This is true, but even with access to heavy armor making mobs fairly simple for solo Guardians the lower DPS output means that solo life as a Guardian is also slower-going. This is when fellowships come in handy, and the demand for a good Guardian is always high.

For Guardians in LOTRO fellowship play means assuming the role of "tank". A tank is the common game term for defining a member of the fellowship responsible for distracting and absorbing damage from mobs. In doing this, the less sturdy players can survive particularly tough combat encounters while performing their respective roles in the group, whether that be dealing out damage or supporting allies via healing and buffing skills.

A good mantra to live by for new Guardians is "Join fellowships early and often." Not only is LOTRO even more fun with other players, but at higher levels some of the most exciting content is designed around fellowships. Plus, with LOTRO free to play it's always easy for a friend or family member to join in during those early levels.

So by definition: A guardian attacks to take damage. Not to do damage. Gimli is a champion.

Don't know how I missed that post about only Bilbo passing the "challenge of the ring." Au contraire: Sam did indeed pass the challenge, rejected the Ring's promise of power and willingly gave it back to Frodo. Tolkien himself referred to Sam as the "chief hero" of the story (in the Letters of Tolkien, pg 161 in the Houghton Mifflin edition, from his letter to Milton Waldman, for those of you who don't believe me :P).

So yeah--I agree that Boromir is definitely a Guardian.

But so is Sam.
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

Boromir a guardian? Hmm I tend to think it could as well be a captain. They use shield and one handers as well. Boromir's also refered as a *captain* of gondor. And don't forget he used last stand when he was being shot by the uruk at the end of the first movie. Thats just what I'm thinking, but he might be a little mix of both.
    Strakvar R7 Rune-Keeper, officer Eternal Destiny
    Tambor r6 Lore-Master, officer Eternal Destiny

Lukguz r8 Blackarrow, member of the Blood Hand

These threads are always fun. However, I think we need to consider the NOVELIZED versions of the characters.

Some are obvious, some are not...

Gandalf = Wizard (Loremaster (Staff/Sword, "magic," etc.)
    Aragorn = Captain (Healing Hands, one two handed weapon, inspirational, etc.)
    Legolas = Hunter (Bow, etc...)
    Gimli = Guardian (traditional stubborn dwarf), but an argument can be made for Champion
    Merry/Pippin = Burglars (hard to say, but they're stealthy and pilfery)
    Sam = Minstrel (keeps Frodo's spirits up through the trip, but NOT a warrior)
    Frodo = ??? (I don't know which class includes epic whining as a power, he'd be that)

Boromir = Champion (Strong in combat when supported, but hard to survive alone)
    Skjald of Rohan, Minstrel, Captain of Rohan

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)