We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best way to test DPS?

Hi,
    A few days ago I ran a pug Draig, had a couple of kin mates in it. Anyway the burg we had was nervous about being able to pull all the CJ's so the leader had the non-CJ group do no damage when Draig fell to the floor (yeah, boring run). The interesting thing (to me) is that a Champ kin mate shared his Combat Analysis (CA) after the run (he was in the CJ group) and I can't recall the exact numbers I was a bit surprised at how high it was, he even got a hit for 12k I think.

So I thought it would be interesting to throw CA on and see what I did. Tested against the Snowbourne dummies (level 75 and the other one) and also a few land scape orcs near Snowbourne. I was very sad when I looked at the results, sorry I don't recall the numbers as it was a few days ago. So I am wondering how you all measure your DPS (I've seen GLFF messages from other hunters stating they are around 2.2k dps - in my test I was not there). What is your rotation, buffs etc...

So presuming that my DPS is low, what can I do to bring it up? I am referring to u9.1 not with the changes coming with u10. Do I need to get some stats up, or use a different rotation?

Might: 74
    Vitality: 612
    Will: 100
    Fate: 160
    Agility: 2674
    Crit hit: 9013
    Finesse: 7884

Thanks

Bring your crit up a little. You could give up either a little morale or a little bit of phys mastery to do so. A hunter's biggest hits are in the focus shots, and the more you crit the more focus you build, which means more focus shots fired off. When fully raid buffed, you're going to want to be over 12k. (Captain crit buff gives ~1800 crit and you can always count on that buff in a raid. Other buffs you may or may not get are a captain's war banner for 148 crit now/85 crit post U10, captain's IDOME for 296 crit both now and post U10, and a minstrel's Tale of Heroism for 178 crit now/255 crit post-U10. It's usually safe to assume captain crit buff and at least one of those other three, so making sure your crit is over 10k standing should bring you over 12k raid buffed.)

Start out the battle with Improved Focus whenever possible. You get a huge boost from it. Make sure you're using Needful Haste whenever it's up as well (and make sure you have the legacy and trait for it) as it'll significantly speed up your attacks. Also make sure you hit Burn Hot whenever you can, and have Focus pots on you at all times (in addition to giving you focus, they'll up the damage on your devastates).

Do not use Heartseeker. Heartseeker is nice if you want to see a big single hit, but it'll lower your DPS because of its long induction time an incredibly low damage when not critting (and honestly, it's not that great even when it crits).

My attacks can't really be considered a 'rotation'. I start with Swift Bow, and then I spam Penetrating Shot (using Blood Arrow if it's up instead of Penetrating Shot) until I run out of Focus. Quick Shot brings me back up again, then more Pen Shot spam. I throw in all the other self buffs (Focus pots, Intent Concentration, Burn Hot, Needful Haste) whenever I can. It's probably not the most efficient method, especially if you're traited red (I'm 4 blue), but it works for me and I can usually parse pretty well.

Draigoch has more and more incoming damage debuffs as the fight goes on ...

You could get huge numbers there with heartseeker too.

Rotation: Swift Bow, Blood Arrow, Barbed Arrow (this bleed is nice, even more so when traited and legacied), Penetrating Shot, Quick Shot, PS, QS, PS, repeat.

Blood A's cooldown is your marker for Barbed A's bleed ending.

Alternating focus builders and focus spenders (all Fast skills) in this way cuts off the post-attack delay of the induction builders.

You should have plenty of focus if you have the right traits and are in Precision. If you ever run out, throw in another QS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    Rotation: Swift Bow, Blood Arrow, Barbed Arrow (this bleed is nice, even more so when traited and legacied), Penetrating Shot, Quick Shot, PS, QS, PS, repeat.

Blood A's cooldown is your marker for Barbed A's bleed ending.
    I was going to mention Barbed Arrow and decided against it for some reason. I do like this skill, but I usually don't have either the legacy or trait and so I don't feel it's as nice for me personally. If you've got either the trait or the legacy I'd say it's definitely worth using full time. I tend to use it when my Needful Haste is up, but because I don't use the trait or have the legacy, I don't tend to use it when it's not.