We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    On a different note, how about a cosmetic outfit fashion show/competition? There could be prizes for different categories- Prettiest, Ugliest, Most Disturbing, Dwarfiest, Shire-Chic, Oddest Couple, etc...

(And yes, I'm watching Project Runway on my DVR. Project Runway: Middle Earth style!)
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    On a different note, how about a cosmetic outfit fashion show/competition? There could be prizes for different categories- Prettiest, Ugliest, Most Disturbing, Dwarfiest, Shire-Chic, Oddest Couple, etc...

(And yes, I'm watching Project Runway on my DVR. Project Runway: Middle Earth style!)
    Now that, that's an idea I like. My kinship did an outfit contest at one of our parties once, however as a server wide event, I think it would be even more entertaining.

+1,800 Kaelalas Reputation Points

Quote Originally Posted by iorviel View Post
    It's quite simple to set up a chat channel for a social event. Just /joinchannel #eventname. Communicating the channel's name to the people who want to come is slightly trickier; when we did our scavenger hunt we posted it here and regional chat. It seemed to work.

I should mention that Casual Stroll to Mordor has been extremely helpful in shouting out our events when we have sent them a write-up in advance. They post it to their FB page and will also put a post on the website if you give them enough time.
    That's a great idea to get the word out there, and if/when we nail down what to do, I'll definitely post something on our kin's forums and FB page. But we're not the biggest kin, so the social even channel sounds like a good option as well.

A cosmetic contests sounds entertaining. I think I saw one advertised in Bree's regional channel once during a Festival but never checked it out. :/

Woot! Loving​ these suggestions
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

Cool

​​
    I had a somewhat crazy idea for low-level characters once: Travel from Bree south gate to the Ford of Bruinen (or to The Last Bridge, considering the trolls of the 'shaws) on foot Details can be shaped if you like the basic challenge idea

Other than that, I'm sure I'm not the only musician or dance emote collector in the whole Imladris. Why don't we throw a party?
    Last edited by Urwendil; Feb 11 2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typo :p
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom)...
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

On that note, SERVERWIDE CHICKENPLAY.
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

What I would not give for a Moors Chicken Run....

Thumbs up

Brilliant!
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom)...

Well I'm not sure that this would be good for an entire server, but one thing some people from my kin did last night was play Hide and Seek! Regions are obviously too big. Even cities like Bree would probably take too long. But we all went to our Kinship neighborhood, and that was really fun! We agreed that no one should be able to hide inside homes (it would just take too long to check ALL of them), but to stay outside. You'd be surprised how many decent places there are to hide!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    Well I'm not sure that this would be good for an entire server, but one thing some people from my kin did last night was play Hide and Seek! Regions are obviously too big. Even cities like Bree would probably take too long. But we all went to our Kinship neighborhood, and that was really fun! We agreed that no one should be able to hide inside homes (it would just take too long to check ALL of them), but to stay outside. You'd be surprised how many decent places there are to hide!
    Interesting.... I like the idea of Hide and Seek! I think my Kin would love that

Quote Originally Posted by davidrspiers View Post
    Interesting.... I like the idea of Hide and Seek! I think my Kin would love that
    That, my friends, is an amazing idea. My kin's house is in the elven homesteads, which now that I think about it, has quite a few areas to hide, including the roof of our kin home haha.

You and me too.

Or a Bree warg run... <giggles>

Anyhooo...

I will naked no weapon spar you anytime. Call for appointment. <giggles>

Don't forget the Free Peoples Press, LOTRO's Facebook and Twitter feeds. Many people see these.

Smile

We played hide n seek with kin last year in Bree town and Ost Guruth with no indoors hiding allowed, it was fun

i love these ideas, especially the marathon race. to include the most people make sure it stays in areas that a 30-40ish level can get to without great risk. In each region pick 3-5 landmarks/monuments as checkpoints. Start at thorin's gate, then in order ered luin, shire, evendim, north downs, bree land, lone lands, trollshaws and end in rivendell. that's my suggestion.

now if i could just get a black horse with a 3 on it's side
    Slageth Slagalf Slagendil Slagildur Slagolfin

Speaking of social events, my kinship, Hunters of Moonshadow, does run a Dance Night every Thursday night at the Prancing Pony, usually starting between 10-11pm EST. Usually it's just a bunch of the female members on stage dancing to music with the crowd watching, but sometimes groups dance on the side themselves, and if we're lucky the boys join in too.

+1000 to this thread.

As a returning player, I'm sad to see the Saturday Night Social end but I agree with everyone who has contributed to this thread. Turbine has made a wonderful game that is uniquely flexible enough to deal with social events whether you are an RPer or not (and there are plenty of RP kins here so you don't have to jump over to Laurelin or Landroval either!).

That being said, I think the main hurdle is organization. Perhaps if we had a dedicated sticky thread in the forums where groups could announce their event or a lotrowiki page that lists them or something, people would be able to participate more. IMHO that can answer the questions of "how can I attend an event that I knew nothing about because I'm not in a kin" or "it's Saturday afternoon and I'm bored with questing, what events can I check out on my downtime". Perhaps that could encourage more participation and give this server a more social feel.

/endwallotext
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000009a4b/signature.png]Jonaethan[/charsig]

almost forgot, as a big fan of Spartacus (Andy Whitfield RIP), I think an organized sparring tournament would be fun. Instead of "nude fighting" perhaps participants could agree on using a certain low level of gear and weapons and going from there. Instead of weight classes, perhaps combatants could be restricted to only fighting people within a certain range of their level to keep it fair? Could be fun for pvpers, rpers and spectators alike. If you agree, break words and let thoughts be known

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000009a4b/signature.png]Jonaethan[/charsig]

The problem I've found when I start to really advertise events is that it tends to bring out the hecklers and troublemakers that just enjoy causing mischief. I've even seen entire kins come by to an event just to try and ruin everyone else's fun. Not saying to not organize events, just saying that if you send out the open call for an event expect to have party crashers try to mess things up.

While that is a shame, I don't believe we should let that stop us. There's always the option to ignore or report players. Its not perfect but I think if a GM gets bombarded with multiple complaints about a person "crashing the party", especially if there are a bunch of people there, they would deal with that player. No need to get into a shouting match with the idiots, just ignore, report and pretend they dont exist. I've used that tactic with great success in past events I've attended

But even if the GMs don't do squat, we can't be afraid of enjoying this game to its fullest just because we are worried about griefers. So again, I encourage people to keep this thread going or come up with some ideas! I am stuck in the trollshaws doing these godforsaken awfully designed quests and I need diversion unitl I make it to Moria!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalelmaethor View Post
    +1000 to this thread.

As a returning player, I'm sad to see the Saturday Night Social end but I agree with everyone who has contributed to this thread. Turbine has made a wonderful game that is uniquely flexible enough to deal with social events whether you are an RPer or not (and there are plenty of RP kins here so you don't have to jump over to Laurelin or Landroval either!).

That being said, I think the main hurdle is organization. Perhaps if we had a dedicated sticky thread in the forums where groups could announce their event or a lotrowiki page that lists them or something, people would be able to participate more. IMHO that can answer the questions of "how can I attend an event that I knew nothing about because I'm not in a kin" or "it's Saturday afternoon and I'm bored with questing, what events can I check out on my downtime". Perhaps that could encourage more participation and give this server a more social feel.

/endwallotext
    I definately agree with what is being said here. I believe that once we have a few ideas thrown out here onto this topic, we should put together an official thread recording to the events and event details.
    As for your second post, I do not fully agree. My idea is, that instead of doing one or the other, we should do both. Seeing as the nude/drunk sparring event was created by my kinship, and for comical purposes, we wouldn't mind hosing that along side any other events. I recently met in-game with a member of Cuthalion's Warrior's, and we will be trying out the event, sort of a test run, to see how it would work with more than one kinship.

I love the idea of a sticky thread; almost an Imladris Calendar of Events, that everyone can check out if they wish.

Maybe one good thing to do at first is to arrange a server-wide "Gathering of Kins" or something like that, in Bree or the Shire or Ered Luin somewhere. It might be nice to start off with a basic social meet-n-greet where people can get together, chat, and maybe dance, or play music, or spar, or whatever. Then we can gauge the level of interest in various different activities and plan accordingly? Just throwing out ideas here (and please bear in mind it's early and I haven't had coffee yet )

Quote Originally Posted by Calillas View Post
    The problem I've found when I start to really advertise events is that it tends to bring out the hecklers and troublemakers that just enjoy causing mischief. I've even seen entire kins come by to an event just to try and ruin everyone else's fun. Not saying to not organize events, just saying that if you send out the open call for an event expect to have party crashers try to mess things up.
    Very true. I've read a lot of forum threads about this sort of thing too. Maybe the "Serious Business" areas which will be implemented with U10 will help make this less of an unpleasant risk?
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    I love the idea of a sticky thread; almost an Imladris Calendar of Events, that everyone can check out if they wish.

Maybe one good thing to do at first is to arrange a server-wide "Gathering of Kins" or something like that, in Bree or the Shire or Ered Luin somewhere. It might be nice to start off with a basic social meet-n-greet where people can get together, chat, and maybe dance, or play music, or spar, or whatever. Then we can gauge the level of interest in various different activities and plan accordingly? Just throwing out ideas here (and please bear in mind it's early and I haven't had coffee yet )

Very true. I've read a lot of forum threads about this sort of thing too. Maybe the "Serious Business" areas which will be implemented with U10 will help make this less of an unpleasant risk?
    Personally, I agree with your idea. It would be a great way for kinships to actually "get to know each other" before rushing into any event.

I'm for a meet and greet between kins, but if we're organizing something like this it might be better to have it with the leaders and officers of the kins. My reasoning is that if you throw entire kins into an area like Bree the system will layer it, and if it's layered everyone might not be able to meet everyone else. Perhaps there are ways around it, like say having music and dancing at the stage in Bree, set up sparring outside the city, and such to spread it out some.

Also, if it is just kin leaders and officers, we might want to pick a higher level place to meet like say Rivendell since early places like Bree have a lot of regular traffic. Just some thoughts.

A meet and greet sounds fun to me, whether it be with the whole kin or just leaders/officers. If it were everyone in the kins, how about setting up a channel? As far as trolls ruining everyone's fun, well, all I can say is it's kind of up to you whether or not you allow them to ruin it. Ignore and/or distract them with private tells. Or kill them in a spar! Anyway, as others have said, that's not something that should prevent us from setting events up; though being aware that it might be an issue is always good.

Have I suggested swimming races in Forochel yet? They're always fun as well, though you do have to avoid the perma-death spots of the lake...But it's win or die, so what's not to love about that?

Welcome back Jonaethan! You've been missed.

We can use group invites to combat layering. I like the idea of a standing thread for the people reading here to keep an eye on and spread the word among their kinships. Being able to subscribe to a standing thread for events would make it easier than keeping up with the whole forum.
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast