We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306

    Post We Need More Social Events!! Give Us Your Ideas Here!

    Hi all!

    I have noticed, after having played on a total of 3 different servers, that while Imladris contains the kindest and most helpful players I have ever met, (in any MMO) we do not hold that many social events!

    What I mean by this, is that I have personally been used to some sort of fun, social event every week, (involving more than 100 players). While hanging around in Imladris on the weekends, I just don't see the kind of invitations I used to see in Regional Chat anymore!

    I understand that Saturday nights are in majority Raid and PvMP nights, however I feel we higher level players often forget about the lower level players that make up a HUGE majority of our new server. These players often spend their nights playing the game having trouble finding quality fellowships for grouping or Kins for Family, bored out of their mind. (We've all been there, plenty of times).

    I know of a couple recurring events, but I am not sure if they still occur (Saturday Night Social, Ale Drinking Games Club)

    My request to the players of Imladris, is to start some sort of Social Event that involves a lot of players, and occurs weekly!

    Let me know some ideas, and we can get them implemented!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    As an idea, how about this-

    How about a horse race throughout The Sutcrofts! I know Snowbourn does this and they love it!

    We would use War-Steeds and the prize would be maybe gold? Or matts?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brazil!
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrspiers View Post
    As an idea, how about this-

    How about a horse race throughout The Sutcrofts! I know Snowbourn does this and they love it!

    We would use War-Steeds and the prize would be maybe gold? Or matts?
    Nice suggestion, could be nice.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000d9e9a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"[/I]

  4. #4

    Server Events.

    I think the concept is great (events idea).

    As you mentioned, there are many under Lvl-85-players. For the Horse-Race, I would recommend something not so far out that only high-level people can compete.

    A thought: Race through Bree, literally through.


    Last year, a couple Kinships got together with the idea of Angry Mob (sadly, I think it only happened once). Basically, as many players possible meet up at one spot, wearing farmer/commoner/serf couture, wielding knives/pitchforks/farm equipment, and promptly raid the countryside, cutting down everything in their path.


    A couple of times, a few unscrupulous folk started summoning monsters in town. Although many were angered over this, I thought it was a blast (well, until the spawned them at player respawn points and inside the Auction House).

    Just some ideas.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000009ee7f/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    I think the concept is great (events idea).

    As you mentioned, there are many under Lvl-85-players. For the Horse-Race, I would recommend something not so far out that only high-level people can compete.

    A thought: Race through Bree, literally through.


    Last year, a couple Kinships got together with the idea of Angry Mob (sadly, I think it only happened once). Basically, as many players possible meet up at one spot, wearing farmer/commoner/serf couture, wielding knives/pitchforks/farm equipment, and promptly raid the countryside, cutting down everything in their path.


    A couple of times, a few unscrupulous folk started summoning monsters in town. Although many were angered over this, I thought it was a blast (well, until the spawned them at player respawn points and inside the Auction House).

    Just some ideas.
    Oh that is just brilliant!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19
    I'd love to do another large-scale Angry mob raid. It was a blast last time with over 50 participants cleaning house in Goblin-town. With support I will set one up again in March. I have a feeling Lag-spike will be performing again soon with a new batch of toons!
    I agree with you Vlad, more community events would be great. I'd love to see some groups step out has host some fun stuff, I'll be there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000018beb/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    Why there are never social events is something I've always wondered, ever since I joined. In fact, outside of a 12-man raid, I've never done anything with players from other kinships. The Frostbluff Theatre and snowfighting is the closest it's ever come. I think the Angry Mob things sounds really fun! I'd also be up for a race in the Sutcrofts, but agree that a region more accessible to lower levels would make for a bigger turnout.

    I personally think The Lonelands would be a good region for such a race. A drunken one would be even better though. You could get everyone to agree to drink a certain draught a number of times before beginning. Plus, it'd be good practice for those Inn League quests. :P

    Or, to make it a bit more complicated, have kinship races? So get, say, 3-5 players from each kinship that wants to participate and do a pass-the-baton-type race where players are set up at different locations around the map. Ooo and each team could like where the same thing, to differentiate between players during the race.

    Hmm, I'm going to have to think of some more...
    Last edited by Sabetha; Feb 07 2013 at 03:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by jeswin View Post
    I'd love to do another large-scale Angry mob raid. It was a blast last time with over 50 participants cleaning house in Goblin-town. With support I will set one up again in March. I have a feeling Lag-spike will be performing again soon with a new batch of toons!
    I agree with you Vlad, more community events would be great. I'd love to see some groups step out has host some fun stuff, I'll be there.
    If I can get enough people to help out, then I'm sure it can be arranged

    Personally, my kin I'm sure would be thrilled to do it!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    I think the Angry Mob things sounds really fun! I'd also be up for a race in the Sutcrofts, but agree that a region more accessible to lower levels would make for a bigger turnout.
    Absolutely! I remember when the higher levels spent time with me as a young champ, I loved it!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    Why there are never social events is something I've always wondered, ever since I joined. In fact, outside of a 12-man raid, I've never done anything with players from other kinships. The Frostbluff Theatre and snowfighting is the closest it's ever come. I think the Angry Mob things sounds really fun! I'd also be up for a race in the Sutcrofts, but agree that a region more accessible to lower levels would make for a bigger turnout.

    I personally think The Lonelands would be a good region for such a race. A drunken one would be even better though. You could get everyone to agree to drink a certain draught a number of times before beginning. Plus, it'd be good practice for those Inn League quests. :P

    Or, to make it a bit more complicated, have kinship races? So get, say, 3-5 players from each kinship that wants to participate and do a pass-the-baton-type race where players are set up at different locations around the map. Ooo and each team could like where the same thing, to differentiate between players during the race.

    Hmm, I'm going to have to think of some more...
    I like your kinship race idea, I think if we pulled it off, it would turn out to be quite a bit of fun.

    An idea I had was to take all events mentioned here, and combine them into one major event across the server. It would be like a party of sorts, with different hosts for each event. I have quite a few ideas already that could go towards this event, however I will need to think a bit on a few.
    If you all approve of this idea, then my kinship and I wouldn't mind bringing everyone together to put it in action.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    Kaelalas, I definitely like the idea of a server-wide event, and think we should shoot for that eventually. But in the meantime, why don't we try a few smaller events with a few different kins just to see how smoothly they run, how long they last, how many show up, etc?

    And what do y'all think would be the best way to get the word out about these events? I don't know how many people actually read this forum, and I don't think glff would bring in many; I didn't even know about the channel until I was level 70-something. :/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    216
    The only thing I can think of right now, as far as getting people aware of each of these events, would be to have participating officers and kinsmen of different kinships bring word to their kinships ahead of time. If I come up with anything else, I will post here. Also, another idea for an event (would be a rather small event) would be housing contests. Almost everyone would have an equal chance as far as participation goes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    Kaelalas, I definitely like the idea of a server-wide event, and think we should shoot for that eventually. But in the meantime, why don't we try a few smaller events with a few different kins just to see how smoothly they run, how long they last, how many show up, etc?

    And what do y'all think would be the best way to get the word out about these events? I don't know how many people actually read this forum, and I don't think glff would bring in many; I didn't even know about the channel until I was level 70-something. :/
    Personally, I think the best way to do this would be to simply put it in regional chat in all of the major areas. Assign one person to advertise per chat channel, and do that every day 3 times a day for a week, and people will remember.

    (just a thought)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  14. #14
    Aliana hosted a horse-race with riddles for us that I thought was a blast. I'd also be up for doing another scavenger hunt, though not immediately in the next month (toooo busy). And of course Lag Spike.
    .
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wandering Middle -earth.
    Posts
    58

    Communication

    As far as communicating social events go I think the following is probably a good idea:

    1) Broad cast it first to Kin Leaders. Use the method already suggested by others of putting it in regional chat - asking Kin Leaders that can make it to meet in a specific place at a specific time if possible. Maybe have a couple of different options. Like 7pm Eastern and 7pm western or something.

    2) With these kin leaders, banter around a few more suggestions, get them on board.

    3) Then broadcast to regional the dates and times of what was decided, and have the kin leaders that have agreed put it as their kin message.

    4) I am not familiar with chat channels - is it possible to set up a special channel for a social event?

    Just my thoughts.

    Finmicthalion

    [Edit - I also think it's best to do smaller events and build up to the big - whichever events we do should be in a lower level area such as the Shire or Bree. Would it be cool to have sparring events at some point? Maybe someone can offer a certain amount for prize money or a special hat/item of clothing etc. Split by classes and levels and then a freestyle - any class any level goes]
    Last edited by Mikalus; Feb 08 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000026875/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by iorviel View Post
    Aliana hosted a horse-race with riddles for us that I thought was a blast. I'd also be up for doing another scavenger hunt, though not immediately in the next month (toooo busy). And of course Lag Spike.
    I agree

    I would love to see things like this implemented!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000dd679/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    R7 Champion- Vladimar| R6 Blackarrow- Truebow
    "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    A sparring competition sounds good (even though I'm terrible at it myself, they're fun to watch), and freestyle ones are pretty easy to set up. Snowbourn is the only place I know of where people make a practice of it though. I don't think you can spar in Bree. What if we tried to set up a weekly time and place one? Say, every Monday at Thorin's Hall starting at 12 PM and lasting throughout the day? That way it's early enough for most people in England and late enough for a many Americans.


    A Scavenger hunt sounds fun - how are those set up?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    216
    A sparring contest does sound excellent in my opinion. In fact, a few months ago my kinship tried out a "nude" sparring contest, with no weapons or armor. It can be quite entertaining :P

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    A sparring contest does sound excellent in my opinion. In fact, a few months ago my kinship tried out a "nude" sparring contest, with no weapons or armor. It can be quite entertaining :P
    Haha, a nude sparring contest, that actually sounds really fun. I'm definitely going to have to try that tonight with someone in my kin.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    Haha, a nude sparring contest, that actually sounds really fun. I'm definitely going to have to try that tonight with someone in my kin.
    It can get intense, we introduced it to our kinship through one of our last parties haha. Tell me how it turns out with your kinship.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    It can get intense, we introduced it to our kinship through one of our last parties haha. Tell me how it turns out with your kinship.
    Well it was interesting. One thing we found out was...you can't really spar without ANY weapons. On the plus side, I got to kill a guy I always lose to when he took off all his armour.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    Well it was interesting. One thing we found out was...you can't really spar without ANY weapons. On the plus side, I got to kill a guy I always lose to when he took off all his armour.
    True, but imagine doing it while drunk haha.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lond-en-Aur, Falathlorn, Landroval
    Posts
    604
    I'd love to participate in more server-wide social events. The horse-race idea sounds great, drunken or otherwise. Maybe even some sort of marathon race; who can get from Suri-Kyla to Snowbourn the fastest, no ports or swift travel allowed? (Or shorter distances for a more reasonable time frame )

    At any rate, feel free to find me in-game if I can help anybody plan anything or put something together. Happy to pitch in!
    Last edited by Galadhloth; Feb 09 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    True, but imagine doing it while drunk haha.
    Why didn't I think of that? :O I assume you mean toon drunk, though now that I think about it, sparring on LOTRO RL drunk might be pretty entertaining.


    Marathon races...hmm. That sounds like a good thing to just do with some people from your kin as well. Maybe create a group and voice so it doesn't get too boring.
    Last edited by Sabetha; Feb 09 2013 at 04:49 PM.

  25. #25
    It's quite simple to set up a chat channel for a social event. Just /joinchannel #eventname. Communicating the channel's name to the people who want to come is slightly trickier; when we did our scavenger hunt we posted it here and regional chat. It seemed to work.

    I should mention that Casual Stroll to Mordor has been extremely helpful in shouting out our events when we have sent them a write-up in advance. They post it to their FB page and will also put a post on the website if you give them enough time.
    .
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload