We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Combatting Hunters?

So in the server that i pvmp on, Gladden, there seem to be a lot of hunters online. Which creep classes are effective against them 1v1 or when surprised? Also, tips for fighting against/escaping from them with my reaver and weaver would be nice

Thanks in advance!

Don't run from a hunter. You won't escape. Best thing to do is hit them head-on. If you do that, then a bad hunter will die, a cowardly hunter will flee to the nearest keep, and a good hunter will kill you but you will at least have put up a worthy fight.

I would probably say that a reaver or a warg are the best against a hunter since you're right up in their face so it's hard for them to hit you and you're messing with their inductions.

How to beat them? Sneeze on them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000011a1c9/signature.png]Feelmybite[/charsig]

Personally I find giving them a dirty look does the trick. They seem to just fall over.
    [URL="http://theartofwarg.com/"]@theartofwarg[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer4eva View Post
    So in the server that i pvmp on, Gladden, there seem to be a lot of hunters online. Which creep classes are effective against them 1v1 or when surprised?
    All creep classes.

dont let them get their initial burst off, and they pretty much just kinda fall over after that.

as a reaver ive had 10k taken off before i even get to the hunter(this is with me charging too...) then things can become a little troubling if they have very good movement and are just a good hunter in general. but if not..well, ive beaten a hunter down from 5k with me at 9 morale before..i won

If you're a filer, you survive the first five seconds of attacks, and this is a terrible, undergeared hunter - which is most of them - , then just roll the heals over yourself and laugh as the hunter burns through their power pool and slowly gets burned down by reflects, flies, and autoattacks. If this is a good hunter with stacked buffs, light oil(this causes dazes on crit, which interrupts), red-traited, and full pvp-geared, with good movement, then you're in for a tough fight, and will possibly die if you've been ambushed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoogleKeithBoadwee View Post
    If this is a good hunter with stacked buffs, light oil(this causes dazes on crit, which interrupts), red-traited, and full pvp-geared, with good movement, then you're in for a tough fight, and will possibly die if you've been ambushed.
    First of all, light oils don't daze on crit (unless this is something entirely new that I haven't been made aware of yet on my hunter or warden), they add a +% miss chance to target on critical (fire oils add a fire DoT effect on critical). Secondly, red or blue traited hunter can blow a creep out of the water - it's the difference between potentially larger hits (and I say potentially because of Audacity, creep mits, etc) and faster hits.

All that said, I pretty much agree with those above me. Never run from a hunter (unless you can break their LOS on the way) and always get in their face, most hunters will panic and explode.

If you're a Warleader remember to drop Banner of Terror on them ASAP. It slices away 10% of their damage and does a number on their power regen which will give you a good boost.

Remember to carry the red potions from the Quartermaster and use them to remove the slow from Barbed arrow so they cannot kite you.

If you are close to a tree, use it to LOS them (for melee classes) and force them to come closer to you or let you re-start the engagement. Heal up if you're a Warleader or Deffie while they don't have LOS.

And above all be aggressive, commit fully when you attack, and keep moving.

Tactic 1: Suprise hunter, kill hunter.

Tactic 2: get suprised by hunter, say ow, close on hunter, pray he's rubbish and kill hunter. If he's good, try to keep near him, slow him and move around him as much as possbile, use line of sight if possible.

Tactic 3: Find hunter, pause, look around knowing that meeting a hunter without 23 other freeps is unusual, get zerged to death.

Tactic 4: Spot hunter at a distance, wait until he's used the track animation and then close on him from a sneaky direction and put him in combat. Kill hunter.

Note red pots might remove the slow but he's going to spam it and low cut, so slow is your biggest priority. He will also stun early to try and make a distance so a fury pot will mess with their head. Disarming inexperienced hunters makes them panic. If he store brands and you dont use them yourself as they suck, he will probably get ooc and df.

Reavers eat hunters alive as long as you charge first. Otherwise you will probably win unless they are good, where it could be close.

If you are a healing class, why worry anyway as healing is badly broken on the moors and he can't heal.

If you are a warg, be lazy kill the hunter if you have suprise, lose the hunter if he has suprise. You can just sprint at him and nuke him, but this will be a bit of a gamble depending on his quality and store use.

If you are a spider let him get a headstart or its unsporting, popping out of burrow in front of them and using the fidget emote is a good way to do this.

If you are a BA skirmisher stance rocks.
    Last edited by Oldwiley; Feb 04 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Step 1: place face on keyboard

Step 2: Roll face from side to side

Step 3: Enjoy your commendations

Quote Originally Posted by Lendas View Post

Try that on a *competent* Hunter, let me know how it works out.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    Try that on a *competent* Hunter, let me know how it works out.
    You mean the one's that have a 24/7 raid around them? yea I guess you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by lendas View Post
    step 1: Place face on keyboard

step 2: Roll face from side to side

step 3: Enjoy your commendations
    lololololol

When a self-professed pro-hunter activist has this to say, you can be sure the truth is one of the following:

1. they have a legitimate gripe; or

2. they're bad, or ignorant.

That is all.

You get them in melee, not really complex. Your issue is going to be at what time did they range you? as someone said earlier are you running at them getting nuked?

Once you get there Im going to low cut and attempt to slow you and run. Because I have 5 blue im going to get good focus pips so ill run stop fire, you keep coming. Then a stun, you'll probably pot which is fine but essentially if I can create distance im going to attempt to do that. Otherwise Ill have to mouse turn which isnt horrible but by the time we are in melee if Im not being brought down quickly its really you thats the fail.

As long as when we engage I have you at range Im happy, once melee starts if I can time the turns well im okay with the odds but im an average hunter maybe slightly above but you shouldnt have trouble kill hunters in the moors with any class really. Its not an infamy node like some want you to believe but it should be at a minimum a 50/50 proposition.

Of course those odds improve with advanced skills, are we talking a P2w r4 creep? A r4 creep? or a R10 creep? Skills available matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CirdalvalSilnuviel View Post
    When a self-professed pro-hunter activist has this to say, you can be sure the truth is one of the following:

1. they have a legitimate gripe; or

2. they're bad, or ignorant.

That is all.
    call be bad, call me ignorant.

start calling 90% of Hunters bad an ignorant... then you have very interesting social phenomenon...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    Of course those odds improve with advanced skills, are we talking a P2w r4 creep? A r4 creep? or a R10 creep? Skills available matter.
    Probably a r7 or 8 previous VIP creep

call be bad, call me ignorant.

start calling 90% of Hunters bad an ignorant... then you have very interesting social phenomenon...
    I'm frankly quite sorry, but the fact is that I consider the hunter class to have a steeper learning curve than most, and a pretty ridiculous number of hunters fall near the bottom of that curve.

I have nothing but respect for good hunters.

Disclaimer: My opinions are based on my experiences as a pre-RoR BA because of limited playing time after the expansion, although I gather they generally apply even now. Also, I'm talking about only solo hunters, because imo it's so much easier to sit in the exact geometrical center of a huddle of fellow players/friendly NPC's and spew turret-fire opponents on any ranged class, let alone the one with probably the highest burst and sustainable DPS in the game.