We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Rohirric Language?

JRRT wrote an entire language for the elves. He wrote a language for the dwarves but not as extensive as for the elves as far as I understand. My question is: Did he write a language for the Rohirrim? In PJ's movies Eowen sings at Theodred's funeral. Was that made up by PJ and his writers? In the Sucrofts there are lyrics in the soundtrack, where those lyrics written by LOTRO's creative team?

Durrga R13 Hunter *Highguard of Numenor /Medwulf (semi-retired) R10 Champ / Vei the Burg R9

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by medwulf View Post
    JRRT wrote an entire language for the elves. He wrote a language for the dwarves but not as extensive as for the elves as far as I understand. My question is: Did he write a language for the Rohirrim? ...snip
    Yes and no.
    JRRT based the speech od the Rohirrim on Old English with some borrowing from Scandinavian.

This sight has some interesting info along those lines: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Rohan_language
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Lightbulb

The lingua franca of the NW of Middle-earth, in which the events told in the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings took place, was called Adûni (translated as Westron), and in virtually all cases it was represented by English. The native language of the Rohirrim was related yet distinct. We know hardly anything about it apart from a few words (such as Kud-dûkan, translated as Holbytla). It was represented by Old English, aka Anglo-Saxon. Thus, an analogy is also formed about its relation with Westron.

Details are to be found in the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings.

For my Warden and Champion (both Rohirric nationality) I used Anglo-Saxon style names for them and their LI items so my Warden's spear became Fyrdracabre for Dragon's Sting for instance
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000014b2f1/01005/signature.png]Goshawk[/charsig]

The Anglo-Saxon Germans who ruled much of Britain for several centuries had their own distinct language, and given that the Rohirrim are so patently based on these vikings-turned-conquerors, it seems only rational to figure a Rohirric language being based in some vein on their language.

To add to the responses above, Tolkien specifically used the Mercian dialect for the Rohirrim.