We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    183

    Maedhros and Maglor forgiven?

    Okay so in the Silmarillion after the battle with Morgoth, Eonwe summons Maedhros and Maglor to return to Valinor to sit in judgment. Maglor wanted to go. "The oath says not that we may not bide our time, and it may be that in Valinor all shall be forgiven and forgot, and we shall come into our own in peace."

    But Maedhros did not want to go. "Who can tell to what dreadful doom we shall come, if we disobey the Powers in their own land, or purpose ever to bring war again into their holy realm?"

    They ended up continuing to seek the Silmarils and basically coming to pretty bad ends.

    But what do you think? If they had returned to Valinor to face judgment, do you think there was a chance that they would have been forgiven? Or do you think it was beyond that?

    Even Morgoth was shown mercy the first time around. I like to think that they would have been forgiven and finally had peace.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    5,985
    I think they'd have been locked up in the Halls of Mandos with their old man Feanor and left to ponder the error of their ways for a good long while at least. They'd been party to heinous crimes, after all, I can't imagine they'd have got off altogether even if they'd rendered themselves up for judgement, just been shown a degree of mercy for having shown contrition.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    606
    Could they have been forgiven? Quite possibly. Maglor was sure sick of everything, and felt even if they were punished it would be just. It was only Maedhros's constant nagging that finally made Maglor go with it.

    Though I could see all of Feanor's sons being in Mandos for a very long time. Maybe not as long as Feanor though, I don't know.

    On a quick note, has anyone ever wondered why Eonwe simply let the brothers go, instead of just capturing them and taking the Silmaril's back? I mean in the grand scheme of things it makes sense, just sounds odd that he'd let them go.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/Annatar_2007/signature_prayer_zpse71bebfe.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR=#0000cd][B]Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon[/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#ff0000]Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers[/COLOR][/B]

    [/CENTER]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    On a quick note, has anyone ever wondered why Eonwe simply let the brothers go, instead of just capturing them and taking the Silmaril's back? I mean in the grand scheme of things it makes sense, just sounds odd that he'd let them go.
    You'd also wonder why Osse did not destroy Feanor's ships when he set sail after slaying the Teleri. The Ainur were forbidden to hinder the Sons of Feanor when they went to exile; one might think that the Ainur were forbidden from hindering the brothers' doings in the War of Wrath as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    I think they'd have been locked up in the Halls of Mandos with their old man Feanor and left to ponder the error of their ways for a good long while at least. They'd been party to heinous crimes, after all, I can't imagine they'd have got off altogether even if they'd rendered themselves up for judgement, just been shown a degree of mercy for having shown contrition.
    This would very likely have been (and actually in the long haul probably was, as they would have returned to Mandos upon physical death anyway) the result. Both Morgoth and Sauron were afforded opportunities to change their ways after a time of imprisonment, but Morgoth had no desire to, and Sauron eventually forsook his efforts to reform and went all Morgothy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cookie Land
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    This would very likely have been (and actually in the long haul probably was, as they would have returned to Mandos upon physical death anyway) the result. Both Morgoth and Sauron were afforded opportunities to change their ways after a time of imprisonment, but Morgoth had no desire to, and Sauron eventually forsook his efforts to reform and went all Morgothy.
    Went all Morgothy. I like it; another new phrase/word has entered the lexicon.

    I agree, I think even after they did 'all' that they did, they would have had forgiveness (from some anyway) and a chance at redemption.
    Last edited by RKL; Feb 01 2013 at 07:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    On a quick note, has anyone ever wondered why Eonwe simply let the brothers go, instead of just capturing them and taking the Silmaril's back? I mean in the grand scheme of things it makes sense, just sounds odd that he'd let them go.
    I can think of two reasons - as Children of Iluvatar it would be unthinkable for one of the Ainur to knowingly cause them harm. The oath would cause the brothers to resist.

    Reason two - no more kinslaying, enough was enough.

    Another possibility - perhaps Eonwe also suspected that possession of the remaining Silmarils would not bring them peace but it would at least put the Oath to rest.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81


    [/FONT]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload