We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Finally got to login -> Can't open data files

So I've been trying to start the game for 2 days... I'm on OS X 10.8.2, and I downloaded through Steam.

First time through the installation, the game kept getting stuck at the "patch dat files..." and I looked through the forum, tried the solutions... then the problem was the "update error," which I got around by removing the "tm" sign from the file names as specified in the solution threads. Then I had a problem with the getting stuck again, where the launcher is not frozen or anything, but it just stops at random times and stops downloading the patch files. Then I rebooted, and after 2 more tries, I finally was finished with the updating @$% and FINALLY saw my login screen!

But of course, after alllll this ordeal, I try to open the game (rather than through Steam, I opened it with the direct LOTRO file (with the ring icon)), but I get: Game Error [34342524] Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write them. The program will now exit. [PlatformStringID_DatFile_Error]

And the error number seems to change, always starting with 3 though.

Then I tried opening through Steam, and no luck: "MISSING EXECUTABLE." Whatever the hell this means... I thought it might be because I changed the file names, but even after adding the "TM"s back, same thing.

I just wasted a lot of time, effort and internet usage for all this...

Can anyone please help me?

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...single_machine

That should take care of any permissions problem, which seems to be frequent for some reason.

The other one is slightly further down that page... if you are trying to log in using a language OTHER than English.

launch the client, in the upper right, use the pull-down (arrow) to select English before you enter your Username and Password. Then click login. the EULA and TOS will appear -- answer them both, then quit the client and re-launch, selecting your favorite language.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaVanDerWoodsen View Post
    I try to open the game (rather than through Steam, I opened it with the direct LOTRO file (with the ring icon)), but I get: Game Error [34342524] Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write them. The program will now exit. [PlatformStringID_DatFile_Error]
    The question is -- where did you find that "ring icon"?

You cannot use "Recent Items" because LOTRO requires a "launcher" to obtain an authorization token (from myaccount.turbine.com) which it passes along to the actual Game Client... which will show up in Recent Items.

The actual app file is a nested pair of .apps -- the launcher and the game client.

The Steam Client can be launched directly using two techniques -- the easiest -- use steam to launch the client.
    Before you enter your Userid and Password, in the Dock, right-click on the ring-icon, and select "options, keep in dock"

The second is to navigate to:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings Online/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app

and launch from there.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Same Problem

--------EDIT UPDATE: this error came from me trying to find the LOTRO app and opening it, renaming the tm so it opens and gets around patching etc. etc.
    Don't do that! download from Steam and let steam work everything. Problem fixed thx. fun game ------------

I am still having trouble with this.

Can someone help?

I also have the issue of steam missing executable.
    my steps I have tried:

Miles-Koblins-MacBook-Pro:~ mileskoblin$ chmod -R ug+rwX /Users/mileskoblin/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online™.app

Miles-Koblins-MacBook-Pro:~ mileskoblin$ ls -al /Users/mileskoblin/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online™.app/Contents/Resources/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/lotroclient
    -rwxrwx--- 1 mileskoblin staff 57063712 Feb 18 09:48 /Users/mileskoblin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings Online/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app/Contents/Resources/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/lotroclient
    Miles-Koblins-MacBook-Pro:~ mileskoblin$

I have 1 The Lord of the Rings Online™ and 1 The Lord of the Rings Online in: /Users/mileskoblin/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online™.app/Contents/Resources

Is that normal? which one should I use to do step two of permissions edit?

thanks for newbie help :d
    Last edited by Domminust; Feb 20 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaVanDerWoodsen View Post
    ... which I got around by removing the "tm" sign from the file names as specified in the solution threads.

Then I tried opening through Steam, and no luck: "MISSING EXECUTABLE." Whatever the hell this means... I thought it might be because I changed the file names, but even after adding the "TM"s back, same thing.
    Steam is looking for the "tm" you removed.

The instructions about removing the tm in the file name is not compatible with using Steam to launch the game.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Not letting you open data files? Methinks me has an awnser.. are you a Managed Account? ( Parental controls just being ACTIVATED, will prevent you from viewing the .data files, thus preventing you from launching the game..)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

I have the same problem as the main poster wonder how or if you have fixed the problem?