We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 95
  1. #1

    Thumbs down Random world drops? Really?!?

    Dear Turbine,

    please rethink implementing random world drops for high-end gear into the game. The result is constant treadmill-like farming of the daily instances which is certainly not what you intended. But how else are you supposed to get the gear? Why not include it as loot in CM chests or something like that? The current system is definitely destroying the fun for a lot of players.

    A concerned player.
    Last edited by Framir; Feb 02 2013 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    13,421
    This was already in game at one point and the drop rate was low enough that it didn't warrant farming. I don't foresee any major issues related to random, rare world drops. I think it's a good thing.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior


  3. #3
    I agree... random world drops for loot is a good thing. I like the fact that when I am out questing or just killing mobs that I have a small chance to get a very nice piece of gear, or a sturdy key, or a lootbox, and when it actually does happen, it's very exciting for me. So where is the uber gear drops? Only in instances....?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,797
    Agreed, with BobbyK45238 and Jeffor.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Framir View Post
    ... Why not include it as loot in CM chests or something like that? ...

    The community would surely appreciate changes for that system :-)
    That system was put in place precisely to prevent epic stuff to be hidden in T2C chests.

    There are lots of people out there that never set foot into instances, much less do (or can) complete T2C instances. Dont forget: the Horse-lords stuff is just a tad stronger than your normal loot. The real shinies (Exemplary and Malledhrim gear, as well as any future U10 drops) are instance exclusives.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    100
    I fondly remember the days when slaying mobs in Nan Gurth could produce Helegrod armour set pieces. I'm all for rare world drops, this is something the game has been lacking for too long.

  7. #7
    Rare world drops for me as well. I don't do instances as my RL job means I can be called away at any moment (Emergency Controller) and it wouldn't be fair on the other people with me. Perhaps this could be tied in with Rare world elites. They would have a slightly larger chance of dropping a rare item to make them more interesting.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001e3232/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Framir View Post
    Why not include it as loot in CM chests or something like that?
    Because there's already too much stuff exclusively available to dungeon lovers, not all of us find endlessly running instances 'fun'.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    Because there's already too much stuff exclusively available to dungeon lovers, not all of us find endlessly running instances 'fun'.
    And why shouldn't the scroll cases drop both, as world drops of level 85 and from instance chests?
    Last edited by Ela89; Feb 01 2013 at 04:52 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2621a00000013b4a9/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  10. #10
    i disagree with the orignal poster. I like the rare crafted items. This adds variety and interest to the game in ways that keep sthing intersting.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,224
    These bracelets are currently the best items in the game: therefore they should not be achievable on the basis of luck. I understand non-raiders want fancy gear without actually putting the effort in, but to be honest, the only reason you need decent gear is to help with the high-end content, not with soloing. For that reason making these scrolls drop entirely based on luck is a bad idea.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ela89 View Post
    And why shouldn't the scroll cases drop both, as world drops of level 85 and from instance chests?
    And that is the best and most obvious answer.
    Anyway, I suppose we may have that scroll cases dropping from the new raid chests.
    .

    Warden(85), Minstrel(85), Rune-Keeper(85), Burglar(85), Captain(85), Hunter(85)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    555
    i play about 4 to 5 hours per day. Over the past week i think ive seen 1 riddermark loot box. Last time i saw a ancient scroll was 1st day of RoR release. Anymore, id say people want to run the instances because that gear is now actually easier to get if you compare it to world loot drop rates.

    besides, the who reason everyone was farming for ancient scrolls in the hybolt instances was because they drop of any lvl 85 mobs. which means current only level non instanced mob is Bugud.

    So in order for the world loot be able to drop the level 85 goodies. First turbine would need to add some lvl 85 mobs, well more than just bugud. the orcs just outside snowbourn are lvl 83 and 84.
    ***Public Safety Reminder: When Driving, Please do not use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over to the side of the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as an additional reminder, please do not drink and drive when out celebrating.***

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    These bracelets are currently the best items in the game: therefore they should not be achievable on the basis of luck. I understand non-raiders want fancy gear without actually putting the effort in, but to be honest, the only reason you need decent gear is to help with the high-end content, not with soloing. For that reason making these scrolls drop entirely based on luck is a bad idea.
    Why make an exception for these bracelets? Everything in this game is based on luck.

    You think that raiding requires more effort then solo-play? Keep dreaming. Soloing the Draigoch Set back then would have meant to play 300 skirmishes. What's your definition of effort if that's not effort?

    For these 2 bracelets raiders have just the same chances as solo players. Same effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ela89 View Post
    And why shouldn't the scroll cases drop both, as world drops of level 85 and from instance chests?
    If the instance chests offer the same chances as world mobs, why not? After all we don't want to make it all too easy for rider, do we? Raiding should not be the easy way out of real work.
    Last edited by Neumi; Feb 01 2013 at 06:44 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    i play about 4 to 5 hours per day. Over the past week i think ive seen 1 riddermark loot box. Last time i saw a ancient scroll was 1st day of RoR release. Anymore, id say people want to run the instances because that gear is now actually easier to get if you compare it to world loot drop rates.

    besides, the who reason everyone was farming for ancient scrolls in the hybolt instances was because they drop of any lvl 85 mobs. which means current only level non instanced mob is Bugud.

    So in order for the world loot be able to drop the level 85 goodies. First turbine would need to add some lvl 85 mobs, well more than just bugud. the orcs just outside snowbourn are lvl 83 and 84.
    Don't forget Kramp. And I DO think Bugud is level 86

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Don't forget Kramp. And I DO think Bugud is level 86

    oops, yep yer right. so that gives 2 lvl 85 + mobs that arent instanced to be able to drop ancient scrolls :-)

    Wahoooo!!!!!
    ***Public Safety Reminder: When Driving, Please do not use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over to the side of the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as an additional reminder, please do not drink and drive when out celebrating.***

  17. #17
    On my server theres already raids going on for daily instance to farm for bracelets. One kills, the rest use /follow and go afk for 3-4 hours

    Whats really bad with world loot drops is that you can farm for hours without getti´ng anything, then theres som random noob that kills 1 mob in the whole day and gets the best item.

    You need a system where you know youll get the tiem you want after a surtain amount of time, like bartering items you get from killing world monsters
    Last edited by Selo; Feb 01 2013 at 07:04 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    These bracelets are currently the best items in the game: therefore they should not be achievable on the basis of luck. I understand non-raiders want fancy gear without actually putting the effort in, but to be honest, the only reason you need decent gear is to help with the high-end content, not with soloing. For that reason making these scrolls drop entirely based on luck is a bad idea.
    This!
    It's ok that there are interesting world drops but look at the farm trains in the cliving daily instance... it's disgusting really. A rare drop when you don't expect it is fun but people here are deliberately farming this instance to get the drop so it has nothing to do with an occasional rare drop.

    World drops should stay even though this means the silly farming will happen but HM chests should also have a high chance of dropping e.g. a bracelet recipe. Current loot system can be quite insulting to kins that like to raid. Reward for effort?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000062171/signature.png]Schavuit[/charsig]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under Bridge
    Posts
    1,024
    The way i get it , the OP wouldn't be against random world drops if there was another way to get them.

    If that's indeed his thoughts , then i simply can't agree more.

    I ain't against random world drops either , it is indeed an exciting aspect of the game , especially if you don't group.
    But what about the people who gear and prepare for the upcoming raids ?
    Why do they have to grind and griiiiiiiiiiiind 5k/10k mobs for countless hours to acquire the best bracelets in the game ?

    You do realise they need the best loot in the game more than solo people.
    On the one hand , we have non-challenging solo content where the hardest thing to do is climbing up the beacon tower
    and on the other hand we have upcoming raids with U10 ,
    which no matter what their difficulty might be , they will CERTAINLY be harder than doing hytbold quests.

    Now , this is the part where someone pops up and says : '' WHAT ? Raiding content is harder that SOLO ???
    NOOOOOOOOO , i solo iorbar's peak , this is far harder than doing BG , i am a cool guy and i do harder stuff than raiders do ''.

    Well , it all depends on how you describe a 'soloer'... It has plenty of meanings nowadays
    My version of soloer is the one that does solo content.

    So ... yeah , imo keep the random world drops as they are , but add the recipes in challenge chests of the upcoming raids.

    Everyone should be happy.
    Last edited by BotLike; Feb 01 2013 at 07:17 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    These bracelets are currently the best items in the game: therefore they should not be achievable on the basis of luck. I understand non-raiders want fancy gear without actually putting the effort in, but to be honest, the only reason you need decent gear is to help with the high-end content, not with soloing. For that reason making these scrolls drop entirely based on luck is a bad idea.
    How many people in real life "need" a Ferrari or a Bugatti or "need" a huge 4x4 truck blinged to the nines? Truth is not many but a lot of people aspire to them. A very few lucky people win the lottery and might buy one but the majority of luxury item owners will have very high powered high paying jobs or be close to those who do. The % of Ferrari owners who lucked in and won the lottery will be tiny compared to those who have worked their way to vast salaries. Your reward for doing raids is a much much higher chance of a Ferrari meanwhile everyone else loves a fairytale don't they? People who farm for scrolls really must lead a boring existance in game and if they want to do it that way well literally good luck to them but its not why I play or my idea of fun.
    Must remember to engage brain before using keyboard

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Why make an exception for these bracelets? Everything in this game is based on luck.

    You think that raiding requires more effort then solo-play? Keep dreaming. Soloing the Draigoch Set back then would have meant to play 300 skirmishes. What's your definition of effort if that's not effort?

    For these 2 bracelets raiders have just the same chances as solo players. Same effort.


    If the instance chests offer the same chances as world mobs, why not? After all we don't want to make it all too easy for rider, do we? Raiding should not be the easy way out of real work.

    So which do you think is harder? Doing 3000 pages of primary level arithmetic, or doing a single calculus problem?


    Don't even compare solo content and skirms to raids. They are worlds apart.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Catburg View Post
    How many people in real life "need" a Ferrari or a Bugatti or "need" a huge 4x4 truck blinged to the nines? Truth is not many but a lot of people aspire to them. A very few lucky people win the lottery and might buy one but the majority of luxury item owners will have very high powered high paying jobs or be close to those who do. The % of Ferrari owners who lucked in and won the lottery will be tiny compared to those who have worked their way to vast salaries. Your reward for doing raids is a much much higher chance of a Ferrari meanwhile everyone else loves a fairytale don't they? People who farm for scrolls really must lead a boring existance in game and if they want to do it that way well literally good luck to them but its not why I play or my idea of fun.
    I believe that people that worked hard to earn the money to buy a ferrari deserve it more than someone that won the lottery.
    One is based on effort and one is based on luck. Currently only lottery winners get the good bracelets and people that put effort in (as far as that's possible with current content) get bounties. Maybe if I sell all my bounties I can one day afford myself a bracelet recipe.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000062171/signature.png]Schavuit[/charsig]

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    241
    I was doing my Lothlorien dailies 3 days back and got the pauldrons (shoulders) from the Seven Fathers set from a normal mob kill. A level 61 purple piece. I was amazed and totally excited when it dropped. I am 100% for rare world drops. It is about time they implemented this since it is the norm in all other MMOs that I have played. This will allow the casual player to get something so awesome, they may eventually get a great setup, too!

    Thankyou Turbine, you guys keep doing what you are doing, its awesome!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    13,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Selo View Post
    Whats really bad with world loot drops is that you can farm for hours without getti´ng anything, then theres som random noob that kills 1 mob in the whole day and gets the best item.

    You need a system where you know youll get the tiem you want after a surtain amount of time, like bartering items you get from killing world monsters
    Why not have both? I think more is better in this case. So what if a random noob gets something shiny? On average the raiders (like me) will still have easier access to a higher volume of said shinies.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,101
    Critters in raids have the same chance of dropping the new recipes as world/solo instances beasties, and yet people aren't repeatedly running raids for the chance - even with the added possibilities of extra rewards. And why? Yes, you probably kill slightly less enemies an hour and have to restart raids, but also because it would take effort. People want something for nothing.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload