We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How on earth do you hunt on your warsteed in a dense area?

I'm at 75, and I got my default medium steed (since there was no option to choose), and spec'd it in the light steed spec.... It's only L4, but I can maneuver pretty well since I use a mouse to move. All the quests around Harwick are in mob-dense areas, but I want to maximize the steed XP, so going on foot is counter-productive. I'm pretty good at killing stuff at max speed, but in areas like this, I end up with a train of mobs that takes forever to kill.... Do you just walk the horse slowly and hunt, or is there a strategy I'm just failing to grasp?

Any suggestions for what to put the first few training points into?

How do you get the actual Light steed instead of the default medium? Does that make a difference?

I searched the forum, but it leaves much to be desired with results....

TIA!!

You should be able to select a different trait spec. Shift+M>Traits and then it should be on the right, similar to the character cosmetic panel. I'm a Premium player and I had two, I don't know if its different for F2p, though I've got a feeling that only the default medium is availible.

The Wold is a weird place to start out with mounted combat. Warsteeds aren't exceptionally maneuverable yet, and they pack all the mobs tightly in, more in an on-foot combat style like the rest of Middle-Earth. I think I did just give up and trot through mobs picking them off that way. Once you get into different areas like the Norcrofts and spend some points in the yellow tree on your steed, mounted combat gets a bit easier.

I don't remember having that much trouble pulling 'large' trains; but I do remember running around rather slow a lot of the time.

I think I'll try just a slow trot and see what that does....the quests are to kill 10 things which are all right around me. I'd hoped to stay mounted for the XP bonus. I have no problem maneuvering at full speed (I think it's because I always use a mouse to move), but that's obviously not conducive to dense areas.

Maybe it is just this zone.

I don't get huge trains, but 3-4 of something takes awhile to kill if you don't have many AOE type damage skills

Quote Originally Posted by Machael View Post
    I'm at 75, and I got my default medium steed (since there was no option to choose), and spec'd it in the light steed spec.... It's only L4, but I can maneuver pretty well since I use a mouse to move. All the quests around Harwick are in mob-dense areas, but I want to maximize the steed XP, so going on foot is counter-productive. I'm pretty good at killing stuff at max speed, but in areas like this, I end up with a train of mobs that takes forever to kill.... Do you just walk the horse slowly and hunt, or is there a strategy I'm just failing to grasp?

How do you get the actual Light steed instead of the default medium? Does that make a difference?

TIA!!
    As you level your horse you will be able to add traits to give it more speed and agility. I also took the medium horse, but later realized that it wasn't a good fit for my hunter. I need a horse that can maneuver and keep me out of melee range but within bow range of the foes, so I switched to a light war horse. Make sure that whatever you choose suits your class. If you're a guardian or find yourself tanking you'll probably want a heavy, other melee classes will want a medium most likely.

From Lotro-wiki: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/War-steed

"To change the type of horse, at any time, you must use the Refund Points button (on the Mounted Combat panel, Traits tab) to recover all the points you have spent on traits. On the horse type selection panel, click Enter under the type of horse you want to ride, allocate the available points between your traits, and press Apply. If you are mounted, you will be dismounted, and the available mount skill will change to the new type."
    Make sure to hit "Apply" when you're done. I forgot to do that and it reverted to an untraited medium steed for me, which made me think that the light really sucked because it was no better than the medium. Most importantly though, keep in mind that your steed will get much better as it levels. Mine is only level 27, but it's night and day compared to when I first started.

I think part of the confusion on War Steeds comes from the use of the same words as other aspects of the game. A lot like the word "level". BOY, do i hate that word. "I am level 75, and have a level 70 LI that is level 34..." I have spent a lot of time with some non-native-English-speaking Kinmates trying to explain the difference between the "level"s.

Same here with the "Light, Medium, Heavy" terminology. Okay, I don't know what else you would call it... except maybe "Courser, Rouncey, Destrier".The way they are called now is way too similar to Armour types. The natural assumption is that as a Hunter, medium armour, medium War Steed. In truth, I know a Champion who learned that he preferred a Light mount, just for the speed and turning. Completely counter-intuitive.

Next on my "terms I despise" list: "Tier".
    [SIZE=2][B][I]Concerts, Crafting, Cosmetics, Horse Races, Chicken Runs, Role Play, Exploration, Screenshots, Video Capture, ... Oh, yeah, and some fighting the forces of evil bent on world domination and tyranny. [/I][/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    As you level your horse you will be able to add traits to give it more speed and agility. I also took the medium horse, but later realized that it wasn't a good fit for my hunter. I need a horse that can maneuver and keep me out of melee range but within bow range of the foes, so I switched to a light war horse. Make sure that whatever you choose suits your class. If you're a guardian or find yourself tanking you'll probably want a heavy, other melee classes will want a medium most likely.

From Lotro-wiki: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/War-steed

Make sure to hit "Apply" when you're done. I forgot to do that and it reverted to an untraited medium steed for me, which made me think that the light really sucked because it was no better than the medium. Most importantly though, keep in mind that your steed will get much better as it levels. Mine is only level 27, but it's night and day compared to when I first started.
    LMAO...the last part was it. I hadn't hit apply because I hadn't spent any points in the tree yet. I did try just standing still and killing mobs, in the default medium mode. It worked just fine on the medium mount, and even OK after I officially switched to light. Not perfect, but it get the mount better XP.

Light steeds sure look small

I'm pretty happy with my medium steed and don't even think about changing to light one.
    What about Harwick zone...I can't really remember but I'm fairly certain that I didn't have those long mob queues trotting after me. Only in that salamander area maybe, that was seriously packed with them.
    Always been a sneaky burglar-hunter type, maybe that helped

I tend to be the sneaky hunter type when the situation demands it. It's a bit harder to do on a steed, but still doable.

After playing up through the Floodwen (sp) zone, The only time I needed to dismount was in the big easterling camp. Other than that, I used my mount from a stationary position if I had to clear small camps. It takes about the same time whether I am on foot or mounted.

I may use one trait profile for a medium mount, more geared to dense camps, if I have trouble down the road.

Do you all max all the 5 horse stats at the top of the trait panel? Right now I have the agility, power and endurance maxed.

Thanks for the replies!

Send your first few trait points to the glue factory with the War-steed.
    Megabob

If you do set up one trait set for Light and one for Medium, don't forget to level up two bridles, one of each type. You can use a Light bridle with a Medium steed, and Medium with a Light, but you won't benefit from the ... is it Major or Minor legacies? arrrgh, now, pre-second-cup-of-coffee, I can't remember. I think it's the Minors that work regardless of the matching, but the Majors only work with the same "weight" steed.

I thought about doing just that at first... could be my laziness, but it got to be a pain, so now I just maintain the Light. I suppose having a Medium in my bag would help with the times that Dal or Urgai and his buddies pop my horse so I eat grass at speed, but most of the time I can manage and the Light seems to handle more like a sports car rather than a SUV.
    [SIZE=2][B][I]Concerts, Crafting, Cosmetics, Horse Races, Chicken Runs, Role Play, Exploration, Screenshots, Video Capture, ... Oh, yeah, and some fighting the forces of evil bent on world domination and tyranny. [/I][/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Machael View Post

TIA!!
    I like to Roll in on the target at full tilt boogie, then mash the first volley as I start a tight turn around the target...They spin with me, then it turns into a spiral dog fight until the other guy is dead....Works good for me. Keep turning, Rushing headlong at a target tends to get you killed imho
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001ee3e9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

hunting in dense area

Myself I liked using a heavy bridle, change to rohirrim stance and become a ranged turret with self heal when i am hunting in a dense area.. (even inside enemy camps if warsteed abilities are not disabled.. )... the flay open is really good for self healing and as long as i am not swamped by more than 5 enemies, i can keep that up almost forever.

Light steed and moving all the time, I dont care how many adds I pull I can outrun them when I am done killing whatever I intended to. On hunter its easy, on champion a bit more tricky because I need melee range to hit.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]