We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    Gold item drop rates are still pathetic!!

    cmon guys we asked for better loot, you guys said oh ya well make it better, and yet gold items are still stupid rare. i could care less about some teir 5 relics, i would rather like a REALISTIC chance of getting my gold gear though.... cmon put your heads together, and get it right

  2. #2
    I understand your frustration, but despite the many qualms I have about some of Turbine's approaches to itemization, this is the one that I think they got right. Gold items are and never were supposed to be easy to obtain by any means, and when I inspect someone who happens to have even one of these, I think "wow, lucky fellow." Basically, epic items were never intended to be standard fair that every other players runs around with. I personally wouldn't mind if I never get either of my items; there are plenty of other swords and boots that are only marginally "worse."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000171025/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Over the Top
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgullad View Post
    Gold items are and never were supposed to be easy to obtain by any means, and when I inspect someone who happens to have even one of these, I think "wow, lucky fellow.""
    I agree with you but when i see a gold item i'd like to say : Wow what a strong guy/girl he was able to kill..... atm seems that the only things that matter are luck and farming addiction
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/nzknxz.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    327
    Seems to be the theme lately, cover up a lack of content and challenge with needlessly long random luck based grinds when it comes to items. Gold class uniques, gold recipes etc are all just a massive time sink to keep people playing. Doesn't seem to be working well since a lot of people including myself are just taking breaks and logging in less.
    Last edited by Lynchpin13; Jan 27 2013 at 01:30 AM.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    I agree with you but when i see a gold item i'd like to say : Wow what a strong guy/girl he was able to kill..... atm seems that the only things that matter are luck and farming addiction
    Exactly! .........

    And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    I agree with you but when i see a gold item i'd like to say : Wow what a strong guy/girl he was able to kill..... atm seems that the only things that matter are luck and farming addiction
    Yep. Even the paultry crafted recipes from Draigoch and ToO still required us to at least finish a wing before getting them, now we have to get extremely lucky on a landscape mob or farm hundreds of them to show off a gold item. Why aren't these recipes gated by BG clears and instead by who can kill the most level 85 mobs first?

    At least the gold class items aren't landscape mobs, but still some strange logic overall for these items.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    171
    ok i can see where people are coming from in wanting the drop rates increased again but really there proberly to high now being honest ive ran 100 dungeon runs what do i have to show for it ...... 3 golden hunter boots ( yes ive had it drop 3 times ) 30 or so teal ring ( that sell on ah for 90g a go ) you put the time in they will drop seams like a 25% chance to drop from the amount of runs ive done
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000025e6a2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Over the Top
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdaedalus View Post
    ok i can see where people are coming from in wanting the drop rates increased again but really there proberly to high now being honest ive ran 100 dungeon runs what do i have to show for it ...... 3 golden hunter boots ( yes ive had it drop 3 times ) 30 or so teal ring ( that sell on ah for 90g a go ) you put the time in they will drop seams like a 25% chance to drop from the amount of runs ive done
    Well ,lucky you Sir .... i've been running around 100 dodg 75 IP more than 100 SH 30/40 SG and all the other 3 man (40 50 times each minimun) and i still have to looot : all the golden pieces , the pocket from dodg etc .... so if you want to log in my character and do 5 different instances with your magic touch fell free to ask me account details hahahah
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/nzknxz.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    131
    turbines new design system for loot is SIMPLE:

    LUCK > ALL

    thats it. they are no longer giving away good items to players that accomplisch a challenge or play well together. they are rewarding the luckiest players.

    good design? decide for yourself and tell turbine. then it will change or it will stay.

    i for myself say : BAD design. atleast give optional method of getting it (deed skrimish etc i dont care just another mean were effort = reward)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    I agree with you but when i see a gold item i'd like to say : Wow what a strong guy/girl he was able to kill..... atm seems that the only things that matter are luck and farming addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    Well ,lucky you Sir .... i've been running around 100 dodg 75 IP more than 100 SH 30/40 SG and all the other 3 man (40 50 times each minimun) and i still have to looot : all the golden pieces , the pocket from dodg etc .... so if you want to log in my character and do 5 different instances with your magic touch fell free to ask me account details hahahah
    That's just it, its been all about luck if you really think about it. Actually the "random-generator-for-uber-loot monster" is the real "enemy". I know I been there, back in the day when I was running rift non stop to get a "wig-feld". I never did get one and I can honestly say I ran that raid to the ground trying to get one. Sometimes it drop and someone else won the roll and other times it would not drop. However, the pt is this, its a gold item. It is not meant to be a given that you will get a gold for running an instance X number of times. The good news, one can run the instances every day and try to get something. Can always go back to having "locks" on instances and having to wait 3 / 7 days to get a shot at something. I would of loved it if that where the case back in the Rift Days. I still never got that Wig-Feld. =(

    Quote Originally Posted by Windklinge View Post
    turbines new design system for loot is SIMPLE:

    LUCK > ALL

    thats it. they are no longer giving away good items to players that accomplisch a challenge or play well together. they are rewarding the luckiest players.

    good design? decide for yourself and tell turbine. then it will change or it will stay.

    i for myself say : BAD design. atleast give optional method of getting it (deed skrimish etc i dont care just another mean were effort = reward)
    The design has always been there. You pop a chest and hope something is good in it. Even when running Tower raids, the first Ages where not 100% guaranteed when the raid first came out. So you can have done a complete T2 run and still have not gotten a FA. Its just that, Random! It always has been, most (not all mind you) MMOs have that element. Now I will say this, Challenge chest should give a little more of the "extra-special" good stuff. However, it should not be guaranteed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgullad View Post
    Gold items are and never were supposed to be easy to obtain by any means, and when I inspect someone who happens to have even one of these, I think "wow, lucky fellow." Basically, epic items were never intended to be standard fair that every other players runs around with. I personally wouldn't mind if I never get either of my items; there are plenty of other swords and boots that are only marginally "worse."
    That's just it, the Gold items are just that, rare. Its like hitting the power ball in the lottery. Everyone plays the Lottery but not many win. ;-)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    104
    That's not correct - it's much worse than ever.

    If you look at the post of Anolus, he did roughly 400 instances without a single gold item. Did you run Rift several hundred times? Or did you have to run the endboss of FD several hundred times to get that gold sword (forgot the name)?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgullad View Post
    Gold items are and never were supposed to be easy to obtain by any means, and when I inspect someone who happens to have even one of these, I think "wow, lucky fellow."
    True words.

    I was hoping the raids would have a higher chance of dropping these gold items. Guess we'll find out next week.

    Side note: I don't recall any other expansion having this number of gold items.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by FinrodMacBeorn View Post
    That's not correct - it's much worse than ever.

    If you look at the post of Anolus, he did roughly 400 instances without a single gold item. Did you run Rift several hundred times? Or did you have to run the endboss of FD several hundred times to get that gold sword (forgot the name)?
    100% disagree! Try over 2 years trying to get a wig-field much more than 100 runs because of the locks that are involved with rift. As for the gold sword from Gore, that's another one. To this day, we have kin mates running that instance to obtain that rare sword. The lock outs is the key there. Trust me, if I could chain it, I would! As I said before, gold is rare, so I am not expecting a gold to drop (even the old school drops, wig-field, sword from gore, etc) to come because I am running an instance 200, 300, 400 times. Now, do I get frustrated? Sure. However, as I said, most MMOs have this random element. Its what keeps some players running intances over and over again. Hoping to get the uber-special item. Look at it this way, the player ran the instance 400 times, would that player be running any instance if the "gold item" was not there or he/she obtained it in 20 tries?

  14. #14
    The itemization in Lotro is currently the worst it's ever been. It's all been casual-fied to the point of absurdity. Items shouldn't be guaranteed...I guess...but merit should be part of the equation. As is...the end game armor is gotten from a few days of solo questing, the best jewellery is gotten through faceroll 3 mans (we're literally running Iobar's with 3 casters everytime to capitalize on the Bangles...even after they've made it harder the instance is laughable) and not raids, and the actual raids aren't worth doing in the slightest --the drop rate of symbols on T2 CM BG atm is awful, if you haven't run it yet-- and there is no other redeeming loot there. All I see in glff is people running Dungeons getting caught intentionally and using the jail to do it because even that is apparently too hard. And these are the people, more persistent in their faceroll, with the gold items. The endgame loot system is a complete joke atm.

    Here's to hoping there's some worthwhile content in a few weeks. I certainly can't stomach many more Iobar runs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmogaming View Post
    100% disagree! Try over 2 years trying to get a wig-field much more than 100 runs because of the locks that are involved with rift. As for the gold sword from Gore, that's another one. To this day, we have kin mates running that instance to obtain that rare sword. The lock outs is the key there. Trust me, if I could chain it, I would! As I said before, gold is rare, so I am not expecting a gold to drop (even the old school drops, wig-field, sword from gore, etc) to come because I am running an instance 200, 300, 400 times. Now, do I get frustrated? Sure. However, as I said, most MMOs have this random element. Its what keeps some players running intances over and over again. Hoping to get the uber-special item. Look at it this way, the player ran the instance 400 times, would that player be running any instance if the "gold item" was not there or he/she obtained it in 20 tries?
    You've a point but there's something to be said for the reverse. What player is going to run an instance for an item that can't be gotten in 400 runs? Better to offer more difficult instances with superior loot/odds.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,405
    Quote Originally Posted by mmogaming View Post
    100% disagree! Try over 2 years trying to get a wig-field much more than 100 runs because of the locks that are involved with rift. As for the gold sword from Gore, that's another one. To this day, we have kin mates running that instance to obtain that rare sword. The lock outs is the key there. Trust me, if I could chain it, I would! As I said before, gold is rare, so I am not expecting a gold to drop (even the old school drops, wig-field, sword from gore, etc) to come because I am running an instance 200, 300, 400 times. Now, do I get frustrated? Sure. However, as I said, most MMOs have this random element. Its what keeps some players running intances over and over again. Hoping to get the uber-special item. Look at it this way, the player ran the instance 400 times, would that player be running any instance if the "gold item" was not there or he/she obtained it in 20 tries?
    In OD and Orthanc, a gold item was a guaranteed drop from the final boss' challenge chest. In the case of OD, maybe it wasn't the particular gold item that you wanted (apparently Baingrist, in your case), but at least one of the three dropped every time.

    Hopefully the U10 raids will employ a similar mechanic rather than the current "you may get a gold item just for farming the easiest 3-man on T1" system.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by mmogaming View Post
    However, as I said, most MMOs have this random element. Its what keeps some players running intances over and over again. Hoping to get the uber-special item.
    Au contraire. A high enough drop rate makes it exciting to see what drops, that's the psychology of it.

    An extremely low drop rate means nothing drops, consistently, even if it's just a dozen times, people stop running it, because they have no hope, and it's not exciting seeing the same disappointment every time. It's depressing. Depression is not what makes people want to log in an play a game, dopamine is. Dopamine is triggered by random results, not no results.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Au contraire. A high enough drop rate makes it exciting to see what drops, that's the psychology of it.

    An extremely low drop rate means nothing drops, consistently, even if it's just a dozen times, people stop running it, because they have no hope, and it's not exciting seeing the same disappointment every time. It's depressing. Depression is not what makes people want to log in an play a game, dopamine is. Dopamine is triggered by random results, not no results.
    Agreed. Wig-Feld drop rates were nowhere near as rare as the stuff today. 20%, and you knew exactly where and how to get it. Besides that, it was sought-after because of the cosmetic. So while it wasn't the best cloak for any class except maybe Captain, everyone rolled on it. That's why it seemed more rare than it is. If it took you 100 runs on one character (which is highly unlikely) you had extraordinarily bad luck.

    A 2% chance for gold loot is *not* going to get me to grind old content. Bump it up to 20%, you may see me in there more than once a week running with my group. Hopefully, they'll let that stuff drop in the *new* content as well, because to let huge bonuses like that be rewards for mindlessly farming old content for low drop rates is sick and twisted.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

  18. #18

    Losing your players

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgullad View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind if I never get either of my items; there are plenty of other swords and boots that are only marginally "worse."
    There is no way they nailed the drop ratios with the latest update. No way. The attitude you're carrying around that, I have something good but not the best is exactly the attitude and reason why you're not the best.

    Grinding for a "chance" of a class item drop is a ridiculous notion that, quite frankly, has many people besides myself playing less.

    Epic loot should NEVER... NEVER EVER be per chance drops. You just reset everyones seals to 0. I don't care if they cost a ridiculous amount of seals to purchase, a currency like this would've been the way to go. That way people can look at the gold items you've spent time, energy and devotion to getting. The way things are right now you can't tell. I see more scrubs running around with class golds because they were in a filler position with a group of people who actually deserve said loot and they're the ones who got lucky that run. Its absolutely ludacris.

    If this isn't figured out and remedied soon people will migrate to a game where you're rewarded for being a good player and items are not just luck-of-the-draw.

    I think I should point out that I am only concerned about class gold items. you can keep the teals and purple loots as is.

  19. #19
    No, drop rates are not pathetic at all.
    See the other thread, where I say my friend captain got twice the gold breastplate in 4-5 School runs, while I did it > 130 times and got nothing.
    Some people (even casual...) are already nearly fully equipped in gold items, as they find 1 every 10 runs, but others can do them 10000 times, they'll never find anything.
    Last edited by Castorix; Mar 24 2013 at 07:43 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdaedalus View Post
    ok i can see where people are coming from in wanting the drop rates increased again but really there proberly to high now being honest ive ran 100 dungeon runs what do i have to show for it ...... 3 golden hunter boots ( yes ive had it drop 3 times ) 30 or so teal ring ( that sell on ah for 90g a go ) you put the time in they will drop seams like a 25% chance to drop from the amount of runs ive done
    Something changed after the update that fixed dungeons. I've run mirkwood 150+ times and never seen a gold drop for anyone.

    I see gold in battle for erebor and smaug a lot, it seems to be mini items and champ items, disproportionate to the other classes and instance clusters.

    Don't know what they did, but the chance is .5% or worse now, unless i'm cursed, and that option isn't off the table for me.
    Last edited by Armitas; Mar 24 2013 at 08:33 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    27
    I would also like to know where the drops are off the boss' in the crafting instances. I thought they were supposed to add the rare crafting recipes to the bosses. I have run them all every day with 6 lvl 85's and not had ONE drop. This is also the case for my Kin. Did this not get added?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgullad View Post
    I understand your frustration, but despite the many qualms I have about some of Turbine's approaches to itemization, this is the one that I think they got right. Gold items are and never were supposed to be easy to obtain by any means, and when I inspect someone who happens to have even one of these, I think "wow, lucky fellow." Basically, epic items were never intended to be standard fair that every other players runs around with. I personally wouldn't mind if I never get either of my items; there are plenty of other swords and boots that are only marginally "worse."
    This, wise words. People should care less for what they have not got.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Local cluster
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Frathir3 View Post
    This, wise words. People should care less for what they have not got.
    I am afraid that zen monks would not feel motivated to play this game anyway.. Loot is there to motivate players to run something multiple times, why then suggest that they are wrong to feel motivated? Stop rationalizing, the current loot mechanics are just bad..
    Last edited by rannion; Mar 25 2013 at 04:03 AM.

  24. #24
    Guys, you are all right, I feel the same way, but no developer will read what you write here. It's just a waste of time. (The same time i'm wasting to write this).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000192099/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [b]We are Pata Negra, we never forgive, we never forget, we never regret.[/b]

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    I am afraid that zen monks would not feel motivated to play this game anyway.. Loot is there to motivate players to run something multiple times, why then suggest that they are wrong to feel motivated? Stop rationalizing, the current loot mechanics are just bad..
    What? :P I am farming all sorts of instances now, to get marks first and foremost because I am realistic, but also to get gold items. I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I really wanted to say was, that people shouldnt &&&&& because they havent got any gold. (they should then just run some instances untill they get lucky).

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload