We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Warden Stories

Warden Stories

So I just started playing a warden with a friend of mine. I'd been hearing about the great things wardens had done and to be honest hadn't believed all of them. I was very used to Guardians being called the tanks and some of the things seemed very far fetched.
    Then my friend and I, both level 23 wardens, went through The Maze of the Great Barrows in Bree-land. By ourselves. And beat it. My other characters are a Lore master, Minstrel and Hunter for which this run would be impossible.
    Anyone else have fun warden stories and seriously...this class...wow. Definitely for the solo player.

The area in the Lone Lands last night on my level 29 Warden. I am doing the part of the Second Epic book where you have to kill Gaunt men and get their sigils. They are signatures, so soloing them isn't a major feat on any character, but I pulled one last night, that was too near some other mobs, so I got a signature and two on level normal mobs. Then, the signature gaunt man summons another on level mob, and a pathing patrol happened to aggro me. I am fighting this signature and 4 on level normal mobs, pulling out all the leeches and heals I have at the moment.

I survived the fight, which would have been impossible on any of the other characters I have played, but not only did I live, I had damn near full health. I had no power left at all though lol. Loved every second of it.

I had some funny things happens to me while doing those quests at Aughaire in Angmar.

I had that quest to kill like 12 or 14 elite dragons, i don't recall, and after i did this i was back in town turning in a lot of quests. Then the chieftain gave me a challenge quest to kill a signature guy just a few steps of him. uh oh tough guy ! ah ah

In front of the guy to beat i was like "Man, you have NO idea how wtfbbqpwned you'll be" ! Challenge ? Give me a melee physical dmg elite master and we'll talk ! (and it will just be a slow fight, not even a true challenge lol)

And then back to killing normal mobs after these elites, it was like a hot knife in butter, so soft, so stupid...

Warden for life!

I remember my Warden in his late 30s before Update 6. Fighting an elite was rather like it was with any other character - deep breath, prepare yourself, dive into the fray. It was always a challenge, though it was considerably easier with the Warden. I'd lose a fair amount of health during the fight, but it wasn't exactly a faceroll. And then U6 arrived.

Questing out of Aughaire in my early 40s. I bumped into an elite Angmarim by accident. Then I aggroed another. And another. I thought I was going to die, with three elite mobs pounding on me. You can imagine I was kinda shocked after killing all three of them single-handedly without ever dropping below 75% morale :V

It gets crazier as you get higher, too. I mean, soloing Filikul (3.5k bleed every 5 seconds plus bleed reapplications, 700 damage attacks and 500 damage AoE bleed) and 6-man instances 10 levels below (Foundry T2 is easy. Just can't do the last boss).
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/0/9/9/6/9/109969SqXeA.png[/img][/url]

Re: Warden Stories

Wardens are great, and as most people know, truly capable of unbelievable feats of durability. I and my friend both have high level wardens. Before RoR came out, we essentially two-manned the both the turtle and the two Isengard gate trolls (we brought along a hunter to speed things up a bit ;D). The various elite trolls, trees, and spiders in the Limlight Gorge are easily soloable by wardens, just a little slow obviously. I've also personally soloed the Lightning wing boss for about 30 secs after my entire raid wiped. I've generated so much aggro at a Saruman raid that the LM had to put a massive aggro buff on the guard to keep his mobs from coming over to me. With EoB, it is easy to take on elite mobs, and aggro 10+ regular mobs at once and come out with full hp. Lots of fun stuff with wardens. ^_^

My favorite Warden stories in recent times was soloing Turtle (50 minutes, 1.2 mil damage and 1.4 mil heals) and defeating 4 v 1 (me) in ettenmoors where they had a healer and defeating all 4 while staying alive. Wardens, when gambits are learned well, are basically indestructible =). Next goal: Saruman solo!

my favorite moment was on sammuth gul first boss. Everyone is dead but me and a guardian. I simply healed the guardian and myself with conviction and we finished him off.
    Welleg , Kelleg, and Gelleg - Crickhollow
    WARNING: leveling a warden may cause you to neglect your other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by the_smudge View Post
    My favorite Warden stories in recent times was soloing Turtle (50 minutes, 1.2 mil damage and 1.4 mil heals) and defeating 4 v 1 (me) in ettenmoors where they had a healer and defeating all 4 while staying alive. Wardens, when gambits are learned well, are basically indestructible =). Next goal: Saruman solo!
    Learned well? Just hit the heals, interrupts, and corruption removal and we can outlast anything
    --- Dornne - 95 Warden --- --- Aldohn - 45ish Minstrel --- --- Morkar - 45ish Captain ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ballaorf View Post
    Learned well? Just hit the heals, interrupts, and corruption removal and we can outlast anything
    Honestly, to pull off the truly amazing solo feats you have to know all your gambits. sometimes you'll be able to use things other than those.

A few of the most fun moments I've ever had on my warden are times when I'd go and solo parts of CD (tower, mainly, sometimes helchgam) when the cap was 65. Another, was at 85, soloing DN boss one. I lose interest in soloing things like that quickly due to the amount of time it takes, and the somewhat useless rewards that come out of it for max level characters.

These days the most fun I have is doing t2c content with less-than-likely group make ups, or taking off armour while tanking for the hell of it.

Recently, 2 LM/1 Wdn t2c goblin seat was one of the more fun instances I've ran.
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5885254mErZw.png[/img][/url]

Where has your Wadening taken you?

Quote Originally Posted by Khallan View Post
    Honestly, to pull off the truly amazing solo feats you have to know all your gambits. sometimes you'll be able to use things other than those.

A few of the most fun moments I've ever had on my warden are times when I'd go and solo parts of CD (tower, mainly, sometimes helchgam) when the cap was 65. Another, was at 85, soloing DN boss one. I lose interest in soloing things like that quickly due to the amount of time it takes, and the somewhat useless rewards that come out of it for max level characters.

These days the most fun I have is doing t2c content with less-than-likely group make ups, or taking off armour while tanking for the hell of it.

Recently, 2 LM/1 Wdn t2c goblin seat was one of the more fun instances I've ran.
    I never thought about it before but having 1 Warden and 2 LM's would be like having 5 players in the instance if both LM's are using pets. Ha ha. That'd be cool to try... may have to give it a whirl!

On another note... I just had a vision in my head of a 12-player Skirmish Raid. All 12 LM's. Plus 12 pets. Plus 12 soldiers. Boy of boy! lol.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Elrendos View Post
    I never thought about it before but having 1 Warden and 2 LM's would be like having 5 players in the instance if both LM's are using pets. Ha ha. That'd be cool to try... may have to give it a whirl!

On another note... I just had a vision in my head of a 12-player Skirmish Raid. All 12 LM's. Plus 12 pets. Plus 12 soldiers. Boy of boy! lol.
    Haha, as I read the last line, I thought "12 Captains with bannerguards and heralds would be so much more epic..."
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5885254mErZw.png[/img][/url]

Where has your Wadening taken you?

I am greatly looking forward to getting to the higher levels, but I'm also just enjoying the game as I go. So far, the hardest thing for me is being able to remember the gambits, so I tend to just use a favorite 4 and otherwise it's hit random buttons and hope it comes out right.
    Anyone got any suggestions for good gambits for lvl 30 or below? If you'd kindly include the buttons required and the name of the gambit so I can look it up and find my playing style that would be amazing!
    Thank you to everyone who has included wonderful warden stories and keep 'em coming.
    Also: a 12 person skirmish with LMs, pets and their soldiers would be amazing. So far the best skirmish I've been through has been 2 wardens and their soldiers on a skirmish tier 3 lvl 30. We were both lvl 25 wardens at the time. Seems like a new surprise and a new story around every corner with a warden.

Quote Originally Posted by kittie20020 View Post
    Also: a 12 person skirmish with LMs, pets and their soldiers would be amazing. So far the best skirmish I've been through has been 2 wardens and their soldiers on a skirmish tier 3 lvl 30. We were both lvl 25 wardens at the time. Seems like a new surprise and a new story around every corner with a warden.
    Haha that does sound fun. I did a level 72 t3 3-man skirm at 65 with a hunter. Took a while, but we had a blast Also at 65 I used to farm Helch in CD for the slime and sell it. Would make 7-10g for half an hour or so of my time. It was so worth it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000023e661/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Ignore the user name... I'm a girl! ~~~ Also Lohla - Warden

Warden and two LM is a VERY good combo

One traits MoNF and the other heals or CC depending on wardens gear and skill and tier.

Run the new 3 mans with that grouping and it works very well.
    100 Warden / RK / LM / Captain / Guardian / Hunter / Burg / Champ / Minstrel
    Brandywine

when i was 64 i soloed mordirith. he had big dps, 147,000 morale, he is 52. i got him down to 35k morale then he healed up to 147k again. so then i eventualy got him down to 0. it took almost an hour. and that was the first time i had ever seen him. and the whole time i was having a side conversation with a kinnie. oh and btw i have around a dozen of the boss class quest items. how much should i sell each for?
    Lightinthedarkness - 105 warden, Crickhollow

I am greatly looking forward to getting to the higher levels, but I'm also just enjoying the game as I go. So far, the hardest thing for me is being able to remember the gambits, so I tend to just use a favorite 4 and otherwise it's hit random buttons and hope it comes out right.
    Anyone got any suggestions for good gambits for lvl 30 or below? If you'd kindly include the buttons required and the name of the gambit so I can look it up and find my playing style that would be amazing!
    Thank you to everyone who has included wonderful warden stories and keep 'em coming.
    There are plenty of gambit charts floating around, but this is the one that always made the most sense to me:
    http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/lotro/
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Landroval/Hammund/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001ca88b/01008/signature.png]Hammund of Landroval[/charsig][/url]

Playing a warden a warden for three years now, I know full well what wardens are capable off. Soloing Urugarth at level 60, sweeping through Carn Dum at level 65, been there done that, guess what.... I didn't get a t-shirt.

In my kinship I tend to organise events that involve instances and preferably those that are tied to quests. The first time I organised a week of instances tied to the quest chain "In Their Absence". It was a week long of running the 3 and 6 person instances, some more then once an evening, culminating in the Ost Dunhoth raid.

Having done that, I organised a week of instances of the "A Thorn in the Hand" questline. And to make it worse, I decided to start off with Dargnakh Unleashed. I knew this bugger was bugged, as his pounding skill seemed (or seems, not sure if it is fixed yet) to do massive amounts of damage. We begin the instance on T1 as I knew it was bugged and there was one in the group that had never done it before. We sweep through the instance and sure enough, we wipe at the end. We keep trying and each time, I'm the last one standing. We complete the instance but without the help of my defeated kinnies I could not make it. We figured out that Dargnakh does his pounding every 60 seconds. They called out when I needed to run and I used the 60 seconds between the pounding to build selfheals and selfbuffs.

Another time was with the "new" instance "Seat of the Great Goblin". This was also unknown to us so we decided to take it easy to get to know the instance and went in on T1. All went well, until the first boss; that big troll. Little did we know he pounds as well and drops stuff from the ceiling. I quickly learned to not stand in the circles. No problem after that. Then we come up to the final fight. In this I loose my partners in crime rather fast, so I had to fight the last two-and-a-half bosses myself. Having relied on the healer in the group, I had half health. Focussing on selfheals and buffs with odd celebrant and athelas pot here and there I was able to vanquish them and save the day. Only to bad I couldn't revive my groupmembers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shariva View Post
    Having done that, I organised a week of instances of the "A Thorn in the Hand" questline. And to make it worse, I decided to start off with Dargnakh Unleashed. I knew this bugger was bugged, as his pounding skill seemed (or seems, not sure if it is fixed yet) to do massive amounts of damage. We begin the instance on T1 as I knew it was bugged and there was one in the group that had never done it before. We sweep through the instance and sure enough, we wipe at the end. We keep trying and each time, I'm the last one standing. We complete the instance but without the help of my defeated kinnies I could not make it. We figured out that Dargnakh does his pounding every 60 seconds. They called out when I needed to run and I used the 60 seconds between the pounding to build selfheals and selfbuffs.
    This wasnt bug.. u must jus stand out of his pounding btw it was soloable on lvl

Mx faourite is atm the sword hall challenge mode i know its not solo but really hard to keep alive the dps peeeps when the morroval boss begins to summon lots of bats

I admit Im a terrible Warden. I forget gambits easily, I often mis-key and then get confused and frustrated... but I still manage to kick &&&& even so. I do wonder how much badder I will be when I get good at the class. =)

My happiest moment was soloing in Evendim. I was on the quest where you have to kill the Giant King on the north side of the lake... that same location where you put the happy-mushrooms into the cooking pot. I worked my way to where he was located, and saw he was surrounded by bears. Shrugging my shoulders, I dived in, focusing on trying to burn him down, spamming heals and dancing between stances. I was surprised to find I was able to kill him before the 4 bear adds could take me out. I then took off, as my power was low, giggling as I ran. Unfortunately I agroed a couple more Giants that lobbed some rocks at me, stunned me, and then killed me... but I almost escaped!! I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm 42 atm and still trying to figure out what my mainstay gambits are. Ive finally gotten halfway good at using the mastery shortcuts. As for gambits at your level, obviously War-Cry and Fierce Resolve are critical for healing, Defensive Strike, Shield Up and Safegard are good buff/HoT gambits. Im still trying to figure out what the most effective (biggest bang for the buck) spear gambits are at the lower levels, Power Attack is pretty nice, I also like Onslaught. For the actual icon lists, heres a linear listing if you dont like the flowcharts: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Warden_Skills

Again Im a noob Warden still learning, so any more experienced Wardens PLEASE feel free to offer a different opinion, Im definitely open to getting better. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Leri927 View Post
    This wasnt bug.. u must jus stand out of his pounding btw it was soloable on lvl

Mx faourite is atm the sword hall challenge mode i know its not solo but really hard to keep alive the dps peeeps when the morroval boss begins to summon lots of bats
    Actually, Dargnakh did a bit to much damage with that pounding skill. Doing like 10K damage makes 20K morale dissapear really fast. The bug was not that he pounds, but the 10K damage from it. And for a level 75 mob it's a bit to much.
    Last edited by Shariva; Feb 15 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shariva View Post
    Actually, Dargnakh did a bit to much damage with that pounding skill. Doing like 10K damage makes 20K morale dissapear really fast. The bug was not that he pounds, but the 10K damage from it. And for a level 75 mob it's a bit to much.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1e0WAw-IC8

i still not see why it was bugged... it could be tanked with fervour champ or soloed by warden... i tought its kinda weaksauce coz this... (at least it shouldnt be soloed by anyone)

my favorite warden story is i was in Minas Eriol, and i was attacked by 3 signatures and one normal, i ended the fight with full health, (lvl 25 at the time and lvl 26 now)

My Warden is really the only character I have past 30, and at level 80 he has to be the most fun ever

In a 6 man raid after waiting for a couple secs figuring out what to do, pulling the threat off of the best Guard in our kin in about 30 seconds is so much fun >
    No matter when you do it it's fun > (Sorry Guards, but it's true )

Wardens, FTW!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000018aee5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "If you think about it, Lotro is the story of a crafting quest gone wrong..."