We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Farming to Cooking, best way?

Just started playing and crafting as yeoman. Focused on leveling up farming now, then cooking will be next.

Maybe this is off base, but are there crops to focus on? I mean in terms of the having a nice stock of ingredients that can be used in the cooking level up to come.

On a similar note, does it much matter HOW I level up farming? IOW, does my XP for farming drop off if I keep making the same things over and over?

Final bonus question... Any recommended plugins for crafting?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-in-Middle-Earth View Post
    Just started playing and crafting as yeoman. Focused on leveling up farming now, then cooking will be next.

Maybe this is off base, but are there crops to focus on? I mean in terms of the having a nice stock of ingredients that can be used in the cooking level up to come.

On a similar note, does it much matter HOW I level up farming? IOW, does my XP for farming drop off if I keep making the same things over and over?

Final bonus question... Any recommended plugins for crafting?
    The best thing to do is just look at the cooking recipes and craft stock piles of the fruits and veggies and grains (to make flour) for whatever you want to either use yourself or try to sell. I usually focus on one of the restorative food items per level and just make a ton of that. I don't even bother using the trail food until I'm a much higher level. Later on when you join the Cook's Guild, you'll still need things like Yellow and Green onions and Spring Barley from the earlier levels, so keep a stockpile of those.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Off the top of my head, the following will be the most useful in terms of craft xp as well as usefulness in later tiers of crating, sorted by tier of farming:

-Spring Barley
    -Blueberries
    -Green Onions
    -Winter Barley
    -Blackberries
    -Mint leaves (or Royal taters, doesn't really matter iirc)
    -Black Barley
    -Either of: Turnips, rye berries or cherries (all are useful for level cap crafting).

These might not be the most efficient items to farm (and cook), but it's what I usually do to level farming and cooking. In terms of craft exp, you'll get the same amount of exp for every independent craft. The same goes for character exp, but later tiers will give you significantly more exp than earlier ones.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000215855/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

One thing to remember if you plan to store the goods until you need them for yourself (as opposed to selling at AH or /trade), is that fair crops you make while farming take up less space than when they are processed into actual cooking ingredients (say, Yellow Onions) because the stack cap for both is 100. So 100 fair yellow onion crops = 400 (or more, depending on crit rate) yellow onions. That's 1 vs. 4 (or more) storage slots being taken up.

To give you an idea of where my advice is coming from, I personally craft heavily a few times a week with multiple cooks (due to Guild recipe cool downs--weekly for tiers 5-8). I cook so much because it helps out all of my characters, my hubby's, and folks in two kins, so keep in mind I'm feeding lots of folks. I make one cooked (the highest in-combat moral regen version unless asked otherwise) per tier, all trail (even fish when I have them) and all fortifying per tier the most. Specialty things like class consumables or decorations I maybe make once a week or as needed. To store a stack (100) of each craftable cooking ingredient (whether farm or cook crafted) takes up roughly 100ish slots, but that includes fish and crit mats as well. That's a bit under four housing chests, to give you a sense of scale. (I have a kin house just for this purpose so I don't eat up 90% my maxed shared storage since I have multiple cooks.)

My advice if you want to focus only on one crop per tier for the ingredient you'll most likely use as a cook over time is as follows per tier:
    1- spring barley
    2- taters
    3- green onions
    4- winter barley
    5- golden shire taters if you plan to make soups/trail, otherwise blackberries
    6- royal taters if you plan to make soups/trail, otherwise mint
    7- black barley
    8- rye

Spring and Winter Barleys as well as carrots, mushrooms and yellow onions will be needed constantly for soups tiers 1-6. At tier 7, leeks replace barley, and at 8, the usual pattern of soup ingredients gets thrown out the window. Some farmable ingredients hardly ever get used (cauliflower, for instance). Some things like tea and coffee only matter a whole lot when you have LIs and want the LI xp boost which are cooking Guild recipes, and coffee will usually replace tea as the characters using them level. (Coffee without Guild access is only good for rping having the beans as far as I know.) Overall you will use these the most per tier:
    1- spring barley, carrots, mushrooms, yellow onions
    2- blueberries, taters
    3- green onions
    4- winter barley, shire-apples
    5- golden shire taters, blackberries
    6- mint, royal taters, green peas
    7- black barley, bilberries, leaks
    8- rye, turnips

Because some things are available in world nodes, keep your crop tracking skill on as often as possible. This will help you keep costs down on rhubarb which cannot be grown & honeys since they can only be world node found or NPC bought. Rhubarb is only for Guild until Eastenment, but the honeys you'll use often.

Oh, and plugins...there happened to be one on the newposts page today that I didn't even know existed: Crafting Companion. Since I haven't tried it yet, I can't say anything other than it exists. There may be others I also don't know about.

If you can spare the 150 TP, and don't mind using the store, the Universal Toolkit is worth the purchase if only because of how much it cuts down farming action time. It can also be shared amongst other characters if you have shared storage. You can't get near the same rate with any crafted tool at lower levels. If you don't want to spend real world cash, there's a bunch of guides around about how to grind TP on this forum and elsewhere.

Hope this helps! And welcome to the wondrous world of crafting.
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 20 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August is our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

Wow, thanks so very much, all. Great community, and I appreciate the time you took to respond.