We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game of Thrones in Middle-earth~ Bear with me

So, I'm a huge fan of the Game of Thrones books and TV series and as a Heavy RPer on the Landroval server its always been a fancy of mine to try and get a group of fellow role-players to establish and RP through various story lines as a group of noble houses centered around the town of Bree. My method of thinking was thus...

Bree=City-state

Governed by the people who elect the mayor and who mostly live under the influence of the town Bank and watchmen. However, the outlying estates, large farmsteads and lucrative business' have to be owned by somebody, right? Noble-houses.

These noble houses would be noble simply because of wealth, history or influence within the region, they bare no allegiance to any one "King" but instead bear their loyalty and their investments into the town of Bree and all its amenities such as loaning and financing the bank who in turn keeps the economy in check. They also serve the defense of Bree by volunteering their second born's and various other family members to the Bree-town watch. It is common for a member of a noble house to hold public office or the position of mayor, though currently no house claims that title. Most of the farms and ranches of Bree-land are owned and financed by these noble-houses, so are facilities such as the lumber mill and the crafters guild and the auction-house.

These houses would almost surely be of the Race of man, however what region they came from and how recently ago is much more debatable.
    As long as they had the power or the coin to make a name for themselves in the region they would be right in the middle of the game.

Sounds lovely, ehh? thing is, trouble is brewing. There is a war about the lands, the Free-peoples call for soldiers and the houses grow weak, or strong as the case may be. Not to mention that each house is constantly trying to gain more power over the other in terms of business, influence and control over the town of Bree itself through political or martial means.

So, sounds like a huge storyline in waiting, aye? Well, on the Landroval server in the EST timezone I'm ready to get started.

Please contact me here and further the discussion or let me know if your interested in Roleplaying on the Landroval server in this setting.
    Last edited by rallan15936; Jan 24 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Oh Turk, you goofy goober.
    Did you really think this signature would be worth reading?

Quote Originally Posted by rallan15936 View Post
    So, I'm a huge fan of the Game of Thrones books and TV series and as a Heavy RPer on the Landroval server its always been a fancy of mine to try and get a group of fellow role-players to establish and RP through various story lines as a group of noble houses centered around the town of Bree. My method of thinking was thus...

Bree=City-state
    Doesn't sound very lore-friendly.

Cool Noble houses or Renown Houses aka families

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Doesn't sound very lore-friendly.
    But it is, my dear.

That things work on Laurelin now..years. Only man race, with established busines of sort behind each family. Old family tree, children and all little drama. II think this is quite better then Bree Elfs and more lore friendly then many things in game that people do.

Firstly:

- Housed dont pretend they are masters and guvernors of Bree or any free (non kin) player
    - They can have at most one hood that is under their protection.
    - They are made from family, guard (or knights), and villagers ((common folk ))
    - It is more medival immersion into lotro that is completly lore friendly. It truly depends on people who lead it. I am sure lords of gondor and such *high breed* is totaly unbleivable or to claim house is decedant of Arangorns line. But if you form it humble and belivable.. yes it words really well.

- as long they dont claim they are posted from king or such nonsence..it works
    - best is to say.. OLD FAMILY
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001d05b2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wilwaryn View Post
    But it is, my dear.
    It might be friendly to some place's lore, but not Middle-earth's. But I know that's not gonna stop anyone. Laurelin and to a lesser extent Landroval are full of non-lore-friendly player-created story lines. Doesn't affect me most of the time. I did find it immersion-breaking when I was playing on Laurelin and was greeted by the sight of several players in that Kin which pretends the Old Forest is some southern Elf jungle. Another example is players who play Dourhands. That's my main complaint about player-made story lines. But most of the time it is not evident since most of these things happen in town and not out amongst the jungly tendrils (Weatherstock is another example of an immersion-breaking allegedly RP-oriented event).

I always hate how threads get shut down by people unwilling to give explanations to their statements. If you disagree then tell us why, or don't post at all. Anyway, I can't stop that but I have found some minor details to be upsetting to even myself, firstly the actual titles "Noble" "Lord" and such even the term "House" could easily be abandoned while the idea remains the same. Call them what you wish, Merchant families, Landlords, Upperclass, ect.

I think by simply doing away with the actual titles people begin to open their mind to the idea, but then again I could be wrong.

I wish you the best luck with this concept. Certainly, as seen, household-based kins/guilds/younameit lure dozens, or even hundreds of people. That in mind, I'm sure you'll succeed as long as you keep it realistic - I don't know if it's plausible to pretend to be a noble of sort in Bree but as you put it, you can just say you're a landlord. And most importantly, if you (and others) enjoy it, it's most likely worth a try. So, best wishes to you.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by rallan15936 View Post
    I always hate how threads get shut down by people unwilling to give explanations to their statements. If you disagree then tell us why, or don't post at all. Anyway, I can't stop that but I have found some minor details to be upsetting to even myself, firstly the actual titles "Noble" "Lord" and such even the term "House" could easily be abandoned while the idea remains the same. Call them what you wish, Merchant families, Landlords, Upperclass, ect.

I think by simply doing away with the actual titles people begin to open their mind to the idea, but then again I could be wrong.
    The problem with this whole thing is that it seems you've got the wrong idea about Bree. There were no nobles, no upper class or anything of that sort. Why? Because it was just a big village, really, and a rather sleepy one at that when left to itself. That's why it has a hedge round it rather than a proper wall. Now okay, Turbine have tarted it up a bit but still, it's only a small town at most and certainly no city. There hadn't been a city anywhere round there since Fornost fell.

The reason there were no nobles in the Bree-land was that back in the day it had been the Dunedain who'd been the local nobles, and you know what happened to them: after the final war with Angmar, the survivors gave up on the idea of having a kingdom but still felt a duty towards their former subjects and so they became the Rangers, instead. They didn't lord it over anyone any more. And because the Bree-folk were being defended by the the Rangers (without knowing it), they wouldn't have developed any warrior elite of their own and hence, no nobles.

+rep to the poster above me, because it wonderfully illustrates most of my problems with Turbine's new design of Bree. Whenever I would read about Bree, I would picture this small, peaceful village, almost devoid of crime and class superiority. It sounded like a place for simple Men and Hobbits to live a simple life. Now it's got walls on all sides, a slum full of homeless people, and some 70 guardsmen just patrolling the streets. There's nothing to be done for it now, but it's taking me a long while to get used to the new design.

Now, as to the topic at hand. Certainly, whether Bree was intended to be this utopian village or not, RP in our game has taken a far turn from it. This is another thing that cannot be helped. Like it or not, most RP I notice in lotro often has a darker, grittier feel to it than anything Tolkien likely intended. Unfortunately for the OP, the biggest mistake in this post was to use the title "Game of Thrones." That's going to draw in a lot of unnecessary criticism right off the bat.

Instead of an outright rip of the noble houses from Westeros or where ever, try to go for something a little more subtle. The posts from Lashmore and Malrex, in the thread you made on the Landroval forum, are a good place to start. You may be surprised to hear that some RP, at least on Landroval, has had no shortage of house related conflict throughout its storied history - it just hasn't been labeled as such, and was likely buried under beneath several more layers of complex interaction.

So while people may shoot down any idea of a GoT-themed family/house RP, the very essence of such drama and conflict has existed in our RP here for many, many years.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

what about reenacting scenes from LOTR itself? has this ever been done, could or would it? large scale battles and such wouldnt be possible but simple scenes, like with Gandalf and Theoden, or Galadriel and Frodo? i've never heard of it being done but i'd certainly watch.
    "I bid you come out before your doors and look abroad, too long have you sat in shadows trusting to twisted tales and crooked promptings."---Gandalf the White

GOT

Winter is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfstorm View Post
    Winter is coming.
    It is also mentioned in the following quest: Fortress of the North - from Orchalwë in Tinnudir, Evendim

NPC Kesley West says, "They said that they would help? This is marvellous news to me. But words are not of much value. The winter is coming, and the winds from Forochel are cold this year."

It made me smile inside
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

WP blog: Tsuhelm

This concept could become a possibility if you changed a few things, instead of nobles, make them rich merchants who are trying to secure Bree for their own interests and I think that it could be done in such a way that would keep it from breaking lore. Its not like there would have to be giant battles in the streets, it would make things rather interesting for whoever got involved with these characters to have to navigate the politics. I've seen quite a few brigand type of rpr's in the Pony who would probably be interested in a plot that would spice up their RP experience. Like I said, keep it toned down, nothing that would force other players into it if they step into the Tavern, but something that one could overhear and step into if they wanted. Make it more a battle between merchants in an effort to monopolize the Bree area for the sale of their particular goods.

Why Bree?!

Almost everything centres on Bree. Wouldn't you have more fun having some Noble Houses across Middle Earth? Combe, Archet, Esteldin, Trestlebridge, Tinnidiur comes to mind. And if you have a lot of high levels, why not use Rohan villages, so many of them, so many banners, so many ways to interact.

Yes Bree is suitable for low levels but kinda overdone. Just my 2 cent

Quote Originally Posted by duvelmoortgat View Post
    Why Bree?!

Almost everything centres on Bree. Wouldn't you have more fun having some Noble Houses across Middle Earth? Combe, Archet, Esteldin, Trestlebridge, Tinnidiur comes to mind. And if you have a lot of high levels, why not use Rohan villages, so many of them, so many banners, so many ways to interact.

Yes Bree is suitable for low levels but kinda overdone. Just my 2 cent
    Spreading the story across middle earth would be cool, the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a huge RP crowd and what people we do have prefer to RP in the Bree area. If LOTRO had a huge RP crowd that was spread all over the place then that would be a really cool concept.

Interesting ideas. I'll add my two cents with the obvious caveat that I believe RP is a very personal thing and I'd never tell anyone that they couldn't do something. If someone wants to RP that their elf is a time-traveling Vulcan, I would not flat out tell them *no*, however, I would ignore them, because that's my RP prerogative.

I think the first "turn off" (for lack of a better term) is bringing up Game of Thrones. I guess I'm a GoT hipster, because I enjoyed the series and read all the books years before the HBO show came out. While GoT instantly conjures the image of what you are trying to do, it likewise conjures an image that is massively different than Tolkien's lore. GoT is shades of grey, everyone vs. everyone, with the winner take all. LotR is, in the word's of Elrond, "unite or you will fall". It's very black and white, good vs. evil by the Third Age. Another issue is what is going on in the world at large. Now not everyone in Middle Earth was caught up in the War of the Ring. People in Eriador would probably hear rumors of the battles in the East, but Sauron and even Saruman (for the most part) would mean little to the Bree-folk. They were, however, brought together in the face of "ruffians" that actually attacked Bree near the end of the War of the Ring. Depending on how your storyline progresses, this would probably need to be addressed, because everyone knows that war (when you're being attacked) is bad for business. In the face of an invasion, would people still fight among themselves? In RL, maybe. In GoT, definitely. In Tolkien, very doubtful.

Some thoughts and suggestions that I have; feel to free to pick and choose or ignore

1) As Radhruin_EU stated, nobility doesn't really work in Bree. Even small towns and neighbors can have their drama (Hatfields and McCoys?). I would suggest looking at a more Montague and Capulet style interaction, rather than noble houses (ala GoT). To expand briefly, nobility in Tolkien is a much more pure notion than our modern anti-noble sentiment. There was power in the blood and a nobility that passed down through generations. Even Denethor, the only noble cast in a negative light, has the ability, through his heritage and blood, to go face to face with Sauron for years via the Palantir before being driven mad. "Lesser men" would not have been able to do this. A caste system is alive and well in Tolkien's world.

2) I might suggest an "if you build it, they will come" approach to where you RP. Everyone RP's in Bree. What was supposed to be a quiet hamlet nestled beneath a hill has become the new King's Landing (if you will). Rather than trying to shout over the people that are already in Prancing Pony, I would recommend finding a spot somewhat further afield. Enedwaith and Dunland could be perfect spots for what you want to do. Rival merchants or whatnot setting up in undeveloped lands, using clans to fight proxy wars to expand their influence. Tyrion Lannister did something similar and Dunland clans fighting it out is much more lore appropriate than duels in the streets of Bree.

3) You'll need to consider how your story fits into the larger whole. We know what will happen in Bree. If you set up there, you'll need to consider what is important enough to have rich folk backstabbing each other even as the "ruffians" are at the gates. Dunland and Enedwaith, however, have much less lore "roadblocks" (lack of a better word, again) for you to have to maneuver around.

Long story short, I wish you the best. With some planning you could do something quite fun, lore appropriate, and as close to Martin as Tolkien would allow.

PS Just realized that this was necro'd up from ten months ago! I'll leave up the post in case anyone cares to read it, but next time I'll need to check the dates closer
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

I agree dermax, that's why I suggested that it be more between merchants because there are no powerful merchants in the Bree area, a power struggle between merchants could go unnoticed to other rp's unless they decided to get involved. Such a struggle wouldn't involve large armies and I doubt that it would shatter the great alliances of middle earth. I do not believe that it should or could be a battle of nobles. While as, you said, all rp's have the right to do what they want, a battle of noble would probably be ignored by the rp community as highly inaccurate. A merchant struggle on the other hand would be on a much small scale and would, like GoT, involve more under the table politics that wouldn't effect anyone else outside of the involved parties.