We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Game of Thrones in Middle-earth~ Bear with me

So, I'm a huge fan of the Game of Thrones books and TV series and as a Heavy RPer on the Landroval server its always been a fancy of mine to try and get a group of fellow role-players to establish and RP through various story lines as a group of noble houses centered around the town of Bree. My method of thinking was thus...

Bree=City-state

Governed by the people who elect the mayor and who mostly live under the influence of the town Bank and watchmen. However, the outlying estates, large farmsteads and lucrative business' have to be owned by somebody, right? Noble-houses.

These noble houses would be noble simply because of wealth, history or influence within the region, they bare no allegiance to any one "King" but instead bear their loyalty and their investments into the town of Bree and all its amenities such as loaning and financing the bank who in turn keeps the economy in check. They also serve the defense of Bree by volunteering their second born's and various other family members to the Bree-town watch. It is common for a member of a noble house to hold public office or the position of mayor, though currently no house claims that title. Most of the farms and ranches of Bree-land are owned and financed by these noble-houses, so are facilities such as the lumber mill and the crafters guild and the auction-house.

These houses would almost surely be of the Race of man, however what region they came from and how recently ago is much more debatable.
    As long as they had the power or the coin to make a name for themselves in the region they would be right in the middle of the game.

Sounds lovely, ehh? thing is, trouble is brewing. There is a war about the lands, the Free-peoples call for soldiers and the houses grow weak, or strong as the case may be. Not to mention that each house is constantly trying to gain more power over the other in terms of business, influence and control over the town of Bree itself through political or martial means.

So, sounds like a huge storyline in waiting, aye? Well, on the Landroval server in the EST timezone I'm ready to get started.

Please contact me here and further the discussion or let me know if your interested in Roleplaying on the Landroval server in this setting.
    Last edited by rallan15936; Jan 24 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Oh Turk, you goofy goober.
    Did you really think this signature would be worth reading?

Quote Originally Posted by rallan15936 View Post
    So, I'm a huge fan of the Game of Thrones books and TV series and as a Heavy RPer on the Landroval server its always been a fancy of mine to try and get a group of fellow role-players to establish and RP through various story lines as a group of noble houses centered around the town of Bree. My method of thinking was thus...

Bree=City-state
    Doesn't sound very lore-friendly.

Cool Noble houses or Renown Houses aka families

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Doesn't sound very lore-friendly.
    But it is, my dear.

That things work on Laurelin now..years. Only man race, with established busines of sort behind each family. Old family tree, children and all little drama. II think this is quite better then Bree Elfs and more lore friendly then many things in game that people do.

Firstly:

- Housed dont pretend they are masters and guvernors of Bree or any free (non kin) player
    - They can have at most one hood that is under their protection.
    - They are made from family, guard (or knights), and villagers ((common folk ))
    - It is more medival immersion into lotro that is completly lore friendly. It truly depends on people who lead it. I am sure lords of gondor and such *high breed* is totaly unbleivable or to claim house is decedant of Arangorns line. But if you form it humble and belivable.. yes it words really well.

- as long they dont claim they are posted from king or such nonsence..it works
    - best is to say.. OLD FAMILY
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001d05b2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wilwaryn View Post
    But it is, my dear.
    It might be friendly to some place's lore, but not Middle-earth's. But I know that's not gonna stop anyone. Laurelin and to a lesser extent Landroval are full of non-lore-friendly player-created story lines. Doesn't affect me most of the time. I did find it immersion-breaking when I was playing on Laurelin and was greeted by the sight of several players in that Kin which pretends the Old Forest is some southern Elf jungle. Another example is players who play Dourhands. That's my main complaint about player-made story lines. But most of the time it is not evident since most of these things happen in town and not out amongst the jungly tendrils (Weatherstock is another example of an immersion-breaking allegedly RP-oriented event).

I always hate how threads get shut down by people unwilling to give explanations to their statements. If you disagree then tell us why, or don't post at all. Anyway, I can't stop that but I have found some minor details to be upsetting to even myself, firstly the actual titles "Noble" "Lord" and such even the term "House" could easily be abandoned while the idea remains the same. Call them what you wish, Merchant families, Landlords, Upperclass, ect.

I think by simply doing away with the actual titles people begin to open their mind to the idea, but then again I could be wrong.

I wish you the best luck with this concept. Certainly, as seen, household-based kins/guilds/younameit lure dozens, or even hundreds of people. That in mind, I'm sure you'll succeed as long as you keep it realistic - I don't know if it's plausible to pretend to be a noble of sort in Bree but as you put it, you can just say you're a landlord. And most importantly, if you (and others) enjoy it, it's most likely worth a try. So, best wishes to you.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by rallan15936 View Post
    I always hate how threads get shut down by people unwilling to give explanations to their statements. If you disagree then tell us why, or don't post at all. Anyway, I can't stop that but I have found some minor details to be upsetting to even myself, firstly the actual titles "Noble" "Lord" and such even the term "House" could easily be abandoned while the idea remains the same. Call them what you wish, Merchant families, Landlords, Upperclass, ect.

I think by simply doing away with the actual titles people begin to open their mind to the idea, but then again I could be wrong.
    The problem with this whole thing is that it seems you've got the wrong idea about Bree. There were no nobles, no upper class or anything of that sort. Why? Because it was just a big village, really, and a rather sleepy one at that when left to itself. That's why it has a hedge round it rather than a proper wall. Now okay, Turbine have tarted it up a bit but still, it's only a small town at most and certainly no city. There hadn't been a city anywhere round there since Fornost fell.

The reason there were no nobles in the Bree-land was that back in the day it had been the Dunedain who'd been the local nobles, and you know what happened to them: after the final war with Angmar, the survivors gave up on the idea of having a kingdom but still felt a duty towards their former subjects and so they became the Rangers, instead. They didn't lord it over anyone any more. And because the Bree-folk were being defended by the the Rangers (without knowing it), they wouldn't have developed any warrior elite of their own and hence, no nobles.