We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Instances and skirmishes to gain better armour. Any advice appreciated.

I am a level 68 guardian and my adventuring friend is a level 68 Hunter. Due to time constraints when we can log on, we have only adventured together as a 2 man fellowship. We really can't group together with others due to this problem of when we can adventure.

We both want to improve our armour, and having looked at the various options we think bartering with vendors is the answer.

However, the skirmish vendors (we have done many 2 man skirmishes) seem to need a lot of marks/medallions to get a set of armour (the West Tower set is 3976 marks and 960 medallions).

So we are thinking of instances where we can get tokens for bartering.

Are any instances suitable for just the 2 of us to achieve our goal of armour improvement? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to get good armour suitable for our levels.

thanks in advance

About grp-play.. I'd suggest that you start doing some moria instances to get into tank- and dd-roles within instances. Or play one of the 'in their absence' instances a few times.

Concerning armour: The best armour set available for your lvl is probably the one you get during the isengard epic story(volume 3). After you hit 75 I'd go for the galtrev set. The foundry offers quite a few medaillons each run, you should be able to barter it in no time. I wouldn't recommend you to go for a lvl 65 set anymore, they are pretty useless compared to stuff you'll get on 75 UNLESS you plan to stay on that lvl for some time.

About the skirmish sets.. I was never really fond of them, quest rewards tend to be better.
    [b][color=orange]Nuviell - MINI 85[/color][/b] //momentan in Rift unterwegs, Shard: Brutmutter
    [b][color=orange]Faenyl - LM 85 || Cay - WRD 85 || Laori - RKP 85 || Soyra - Burg 75[/color][/b]

Many thanks for the advice Faenyl.

Are the Moria instances that you suggest suitable for just the 2 characters...thats been the concern. Are we actually able to complete the instance and get the much valued tokens with just 2 characters.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenyl View Post
    About grp-play.. I'd suggest that you start doing some moria instances to get into tank- and dd-roles within instances. Or play one of the 'in their absence' instances a few times.
    Some people have time issues. I cannot afford couple of hours needed to form a group and run an instance anymore. I can log, do quest or two, go afk for 15 minutes, do another quest, go afk again, do some afk crafting, log out. And even that weekends only, my week is overbooked.

Quote Originally Posted by nanokem View Post
    Many thanks for the advice Faenyl.

Are the Moria instances that you suggest suitable for just the 2 characters...thats been the concern. Are we actually able to complete the instance and get the much valued tokens with just 2 characters.

thanks again.
    No, they are not. I ran GS and Halls of Crafting at 75 in groups of 4 but we were all pretty well equipped and one of the 4 was experienced healer. At 68 without a good gear and a dedicated healer I would say you wont make it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks CroKat.

Looks like our only option is skirmishing as instances don't look a likely source of tokens for bartering for good good armour.

Did you pick all your armour up on skirmishes?

Quote Originally Posted by nanokem View Post
    Thanks CroKat.

Looks like our only option is skirmishing as instances don't look a likely source of tokens for bartering for good good armour.

Did you pick all your armour up on skirmishes?
    Well actually while leveling a character I am always using crafted teals mixed with some quest rewards. I have 17 characters and all of them are guilded crafters, some like jewelers I have 2-3 of to avoid cooldowns.
    If you mean my present armor on my 75s and up, that was mostly gained by raiding, something I cant afford anymore. I just came back to game after a pretty long break and have a lot to catch up but am sorely lacking time to play
    Last edited by CroKat; Jan 20 2013 at 08:08 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately our crafters (alternate characters) have the crafting level to make good armour but not the reputation with guilds (other than the dwarf guild) to buy recipes, so they can't actually but the recipes for armour.

A bit of an error in character creation/crafting path.

Still, its all part of the learning process.

thanks again for the info

What server are you on? The level 70 and 80 crafted gear is pretty good and does not require special or rare ingredient. Many people do not charge for crafting if you provide materials. Basically you would want to gather enough raw mats for the crafter to get a crit of the item.

Cool

If you can't craft or do 3 mans you are a bit stuck but not all is lost. Crafted armour will do you nicely if you don't want to do tier 2 stuff. IMO, Skirm sets didn't seem better than green quest rewards after about level 60, so I'd keep my marks for upgrading your weapons. YMMV.

Asking for a guilded crafter to make what's important in teal for you (especially at 70 when the crafted stuff is good) and supplying the mats, is a good option. Doing this could get you purple gear which doesn't require the rarer items... I have 'dressed' several recent levelllers on my server in teal jewellery with left over mats and flakes from my vault. People did it for me when I was soloing and undergeared. Make friends with a guilded tailor/jeweller and you are sorted

The quest rewards in Dunland are good enough for landscape, on level. At 70-75, two or three people can do the great river dailies for the good jewellery barter items and they don't take too long - once you have done the initial quest. (15-20 minutes and even less once you 'have it down'). They are also quite fun. (Some classes can solo these on level.) This jewellery will last you to end game and beyond, if you are prepared to do the grind. Many of us wore this stuff in raids at 85 until we had all the mats for 85 level teal crafted or we got lucky with instance and skraid drops.

BTW: Not all group content takes a long time. As has been suggested, another option is the Moria barter armour, which would see you through to 70's. Turtle Raid is run a lot on my server so that may be an option for some moria meds- it only takes 5 mins, tops, but it is on a daily time lock. My advice is join any of these you can. School or library is also a quick 3 man that you may easily find a third for-especially if you have some higher level friends. Once again, try GLFF. Some people have deeds left over and are happy to help out with lower level content to get them done.Or just to help. Especially if it's a quick 3 man. This applies if you plan on questing in moria for a while or want to try the instances in Galtrev/Dunland and still don't have access to crafters.

At 85, One raid kin has said on forums that they have done BG (to Durchest boss) in about 3 mins. Most reasonable pugs have it done in 10-15 mins. This is the reason it is farmed- it drops pretty sweet loot for little effort. So don't ignore all group content because of your time constraints.

Also if you tell us your server you may be surprised what ends up in your mail! Someone recently asked a similar question and later posted on forums to say that someone crafted them a full set of teal armour! LOTRO crafters often like to help! I have some bits for in my vault for teal jewellery at your level, so if you happen to be on Silverlode, send me a tell.

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

Thank you all for the advice.

We are on the Gilrain server, so I will ask around for anyone willing to make the armour when I have the materials.

Looks like a good option.