We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lotro SoA Book 12-14 Lvl 50 Server-Client Pack Idea

So, me and my friends have talked about this for a while now. Due to the declining population and interest in lotro pvp, as well as the recent, "interesting" to put it lightly, changes made by the devs, we thought it be a good idea if Turbine released a separate client pack that only has pvp from the book 12-14 days and level up to 50 and get the gear you need, etc. Anyone who has played then can agree that it was probably the most balanced/fun pvp we ever had, raid, small group, and even 1v1-wise. Turbine could charge a small fee of idk, 10-15 dollars (maybe even 5 ), for us as customers, so more dedicated than others unlike me in recent times, to buy this and enjoy some good ol fashioned pvp for once and play it for free forever, freep and creep. I'd be more than willing to pay for this.

Anyone else care to way their thoughts in on this idea?
    Last edited by LickoryMyHickory; Jan 19 2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Guess who ? Founder and co-creator: http://gladdenhistory.wikispaces.com/

No. I would rather see Tubine putting some effort in a big Revamp, with a new map and such, Ill pay for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    No. I would rather see Tubine putting some effort in a big Revamp, with a new map and such, Ill pay for that...
    Hmmm, when do you see them doin that anytime soon? Correctly anyway . Where's that pvp map we've been waiting 2.5 years for? Oh, right. I'll take something that was actually proven to be good b4 and will actually involve good pvp that we know previously. Also, Turbine would def be up for it as they would get more revenue due to the success that book 12-14 had. I dont see this "pvp" we have now getting better anytime soon, esp since they dont seem to care that much that they are butchering it. So, I say let's go back to the basics, which were awesome, and if you dont agree (not telling anyone to, just sayin from experience of SoA), you really dont know pvp lol.
    Last edited by LickoryMyHickory; Jan 19 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LickoryMyHickory View Post
    So, me and my friends have talked about this for a while now. Due to the declining population and interest in lotro pvp, as well as the recent, "interesting" to put it lightly, changes made by the devs, we thought it be a good idea if Turbine released a separate client pack that only has pvp from the book 12-14 days and level up to 50 and get the gear you need, etc. Anyone who has played then can agree that it was probably the most balanced/fun pvp we ever had, raid, small group, and even 1v1-wise. Turbine could charge a small fee of idk, 10-15 dollars (maybe even 5 ), for us as customers, so more dedicated than others unlike me in recent times, to buy this and enjoy some good ol fashioned pvp for once and play it for free forever, freep and creep. I'd be more than willing to pay for this.

Anyone else care to way their thoughts in on this idea?
    Yeah it would be nice. Things would be much much more ballanced than what they are nowydays, and i bet anything that 80% of the lotro PvP'ers would go there. It will never happen tho and we know it

Turbine will never make things better. They can only make thnings worse They doing that every update for years now

This game's pvp could be awesome with not much work involved, but they just don't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelloweyedemon View Post
    Yeah it would be nice. Things would be much much more ballanced than what they are nowydays, and i bet anything that 80% of the lotro PvP'ers would go there. It will never happen tho and we know it

Turbine will never make things better. They can only make thnings worse They doing that every update for years now

This game's pvp could be awesome with not much work involved, but they just don't care anymore.
    Exactly. It be nice tho, it's a cheap price and anyone who played then or is curious to have played then would love to go back there imo. Of course Turbine's not going to change anything anytime soon. I wouldnt be surprised if they never made a new map.

This would be a bad idea for numerous commercial, financial and PR reasons. I can list a few.

1. It would essentially mean the funding committed to the game since that time was mostly wasted, and standard server populations would decline drastically.
    2. The population of the new 'old school' servers might boom at first, but with a long time of absolutely 0 content updates with complete acceptance that content would never be added, these populations would decline also.
    3. Creation of this would essentially be an open confession by Turbine that their game has failed to improve and that they agree that its old form was superior.
    4. Sales on the LotRO Store would suffer as people would simply not use it when there is no new content.
    5. The game would die even faster than it already will.

In the short-term, it may seem a good idea for players, but it is long-term bad for players and full-term bad for Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Squelcher View Post
    This would be a bad idea for numerous commercial, financial and PR reasons. I can list a few.

1. It would essentially mean the funding committed to the game since that time was mostly wasted, and standard server populations would decline drastically.
    2. The population of the new 'old school' servers might boom at first, but with a long time of absolutely 0 content updates with complete acceptance that content would never be added, these populations would decline also.
    3. Creation of this would essentially be an open confession by Turbine that their game has failed to improve and that they agree that its old form was superior.
    4. Sales on the LotRO Store would suffer as people would simply not use it when there is no new content.

In the short-term, it may seem a good idea for players, but it is long-term bad for players and full-term bad for Turbine.
    I think they could make it only for pvp. Like a mini game,or add-on that would have only the moors as its map.

Anyways there's no reason at all keep this thread going, cause it will never happen and we all know it.

One last thing: the third reason you mentioned its crystal clear for everyone that has been playing for just a few months I think. It wont matter if they admit it or not, we already know it A blind man can see it.

I would love to get my old reaver back SoA was so much fun.

Is it just me, or were any other reaver's bummed when they completely revamped the reaver playstyle? I loved the fast autoattack, high regen, and power burning DS. Very simple, yet so refined. Exactly how a good, dumb, battle-seasoned Orc should feel.

Plus there wouldn't be any rk's or wardens!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtdg21 View Post
    Exactly!
    /slap

That's the thing tho. When are they gonna get their act together and actually commit some more resources to pvp? Either way, they are losing subscribers daily from that. I never got bored of that pvp, as well as many other ppl. I dont think it would effect the general population of ppl on servers, just really those that wanted good pvp. PvE would still thrive on the servers, just not necessarily their pvp. Can we say it is necessarily thriving now tho :P?

Anyway, just saying I'd be more than willing to lvl to 50 to be able to go back to the good ol classic pvp is all. Maybe if they dont want to release it anytime soon, they can release it as a last ditch effort to get more money once this game is finally finished, as I can see in the foreseeable future they are gonna be heading downhill worse than they are now if they don't get their act together pvp wise.

I think they could make it only for pvp. Like a mini game,or add-on that would have only the moors as its map.

Anyways there's no reason at all keep this thread going, cause it will never happen and we all know it.

One last thing: the third reason you mentioned its crystal clear for everyone that has been playing for just a few months I think. It wont matter if they admit it or not, we already know it A blind man can see it.
    Heh, here's to hoping . What you said tho was just exactly what I had in my mind. Something for a cheap price everyone could enjoy, and that they could still benefit off of. I really dont have anymore faith in this games pvp after this expac, more than usual, so that's y I'm suggesting it now, for all we know, all hope is lost, and this could only get worse.

I would love to get my old reaver back SoA was so much fun.

Is it just me, or were any other reaver's bummed when they completely revamped the reaver playstyle? I loved the fast autoattack, high regen, and power burning DS. Very simple, yet so refined. Exactly how a good, dumb, battle-seasoned Orc should feel.

Same. I loved my reaver back in the day. Bah, we all see how much ppl love rks and wardens now right :P?

Exactly!
    /slap
    Meh, all I've seen from wardens and rks being around is ppl complaining how OP they are. Perhaps they could somehow be added in it to a more balanced lvl 50 scale hopefully, and not end up as being extremely OP in that time as well. I didnt mean for my previous post to seem harsh towards you, didnt intend to be, but I understand y you dont want this client lol. If you kept ur warden as a lvl 50, would u be up for it?

RK's I would not mind indeed ;P Sorry to RK's but they have been OP almost since their creation with some short breaks.

Wardens only became "call it OP if you want tho I'd still disagree" for like 4 months? (After U6)

Also the warden's Ambush was one of the best pvp skills. I still remember the no-ending laughing on kin and vent everytime i ambushed a very high rated creep and it died before it had a chance to act from focus fire

^^ FUUUN times ;(

Somehow I imagine what would happen is a bunch of people would try it out, discover that the old PvP was not as great as they remembered, and then promptly return to the present day Moors.

IMO, not worth the investment. Development in the Moors needs to look forward, not back.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

The clarity of the fact is irrelevant. It is extremely unusual and generally a bad sign for a company, particularly a game development company, to admit that its product has deteriorated in any meaningful way. I've only ever seen confessions from developers in truly rare cases and these would typically be roundabout admissions of possible oversight of 'minor' problems. If Turbine admitted it, which they would not, it would be a nail in their coffin and would reduce their own value significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    Somehow I imagine what would happen is a bunch of people would try it out, discover that the old PvP was not as great as they remembered, and then promptly return to the present day Moors.

IMO, not worth the investment. Development in the Moors needs to look forward, not back.
    Have you ever pvped back in SoA book 12-14? Many that have played back then to this day say it was the best pvp to date. Trust me, I remember how good it is bright as day, and it's helluva a lot better than this so-called "pvp". It had constant action throughout, whether it be 1v1, small-grouping, or raiding.

The clarity of the fact is irrelevant. It is extremely unusual and generally a bad sign for a company, particularly a game development company, to admit that its product has deteriorated in any meaningful way. I've only ever seen confessions from developers in truly rare cases and these would typically be roundabout admissions of possible oversight of 'minor' problems. If Turbine admitted it, which they would not, it would be a nail in their coffin and would reduce their own value significantly.
    Their inability to admit their arrogance in how well the pvp in this game is will be their undoing. I know over time games lose popularity, but this one is losing its popularity at a much faster, drastic pace.

Quote Originally Posted by LickoryMyHickory View Post
    Have you ever pvped back in SoA book 12-14? Many that have played back then to this day say it was the best pvp to date. Trust me, I remember how good it is bright as day, and it's helluva a lot better than this so-called "pvp". It had constant action throughout, whether it be 1v1, small-grouping, or raiding.
    I have not, but I do have plenty of experience of people having pent up nostalgia for periods of the past, and oftentimes they find their memories do not quite convey the reality of what that time was really like.

Just my two pence.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    I have not, but I do have plenty of experience of people having pent up nostalgia for periods of the past, and oftentimes they find their memories do not quite convey the reality of what that time was really like.

Just my two pence.
    See, experiencing it and hearing it are 2 diff things. Trust me, it was epic. Btw, spiders were really nice back in those days .

Ok, so how is it that I am the only person that has a legitimate Join Date reference of credibility here? Pretty sure SoA was, well from doubt, prior to 2010 by an unmistakeably measurable swing.

Just seems weird. It sounds like some of you at least know what I'm talking about, and that makes it all the more, weird.

Or, maybe I'm the few remaining that actually uses their original forum name.

Not trying to be rude or anything at all, I'm just curious. It's already hard enough to take anyone seriously as it is. Not that I am half the time anyways!

Ok, so how is it that I am the only person that has a legitimate Join Date reference of credibility here? Pretty sure SoA was, well from doubt, prior to 2010 by an unmistakeably measurable swing.

Just seems weird. It sounds like some of you at least know what I'm talking about, and that makes it all the more, weird.

Not trying to be rude or anything at all, I'm just curious. It's already hard enough to take anyone seriously as it is. Not that I am half the time anyways!
    The forum join date is not a measure of credibility or legitimacy or relevant to much of anything other than the date someone joined the forums, and even if it somehow was, the entire European section of LotRO was for years hosted by another company with their own servers and forums so there is nothing much someone's join date is going to tell you.

I think u can tell if they are Euros or not if u see June 2011, least in most cases anyway. That's when Codemasters merged with Turbine if I remember correctly. Don't know y they would when Codemasters was > Turbine from what I hear as they actually held open pvp events for their players :P. I just presumed from the person I was talking to they hadn't played in SoA due to his join date because he was on a NA server. Even tho he is European (or lives in Europe) doesnt mean he plays on a European server. I played with plenty of Europeans that were on NA servers, for whatever reason escapes me, maybe I should ask them y. Maybe they have a better time due to being in a timezone more prevalent and convenient to them.

My guess is because you didn't p!ss Sapience off like te rest of us.

But anyway, to the OP: revisionist history. SoA books 12-14 were certainly a step towards parity but I would *kill* to have my loremaster back to what it was back then. MoM B7 made me actually have to learn to play the class and it's been a humbling progression towards parity ever since. And even with the bump LMs recently got, it's nothing like the days when even a noob like me used to go looking for fights with multiple creeps for a laugh. Not sure where all of these memories of balance come from.

Quote Originally Posted by 22Acacia View Post
    My guess is because you didn't p!ss Sapience off like te rest of us.

But anyway, to the OP: revisionist history. SoA books 12-14 were certainly a step towards parity but I would *kill* to have my loremaster back to what it was back then. MoM B7 made me actually have to learn to play the class and it's been a humbling progression towards parity ever since. And even with the bump LMs recently got, it's nothing like the days when even a noob like me used to go looking for fights with multiple creeps for a laugh. Not sure where all of these memories of balance come from.
    I dont remember LM being a class you could just pick up and own in the moors in book 12-14 with ease. You had to know what you were doing somewhat anyway lol, least the DR kept them in check. Overall tho, the whole pvp was balanced and fun for everyone. I dont remember anyone really complaining about their classes, nor qqing as bad as ppl r now.

If you want LMs when they are really OP, let's wind it back to prebk12 . THAT'S when they were OP, and them and burg had to be the top 2 classes in the moors at the time due to no DR and CC dominance, as well as no delving corruptions for creeps, which was one of the greatest pvp additions they ever made might I add to getting creeps balanced back in book 12-14.