We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stuck on Vol. 1 Book 4 The Unmarked Trail - Help!

I'm a level 43 hunter trying to solo this quest, and always die on the final boss. I usually get him down to 9k health (lowest at 5k), but by that time he has at least 5 hardened barks going (don't know if they stack) and he heals. And by the time he has all those hardened barks, I can't do enough damage to keep his health down. Tried about 8 times now, and starting to get a little frustrated. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Crazyface600; Jan 18 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Hello Crazyface600!

A few tips:

1. Do you have the inspiration buff active? This buff should trigger automatically when you enter the instance, and will give you an invaluable boost!

2. Stay as close to Legolas as you can - he has a hope 'aura' which will slightly buff your morale and damage, and help stave off dread from the troll boss.

Also, I found this on LOTRO wiki:

At the end of the instance, you will find a Nazgûl talking to the Nemesis level wood-troll Taushakh, who has 30k morale. You will see a short scene, then fight Taushakh to finish the instance. Like the others, he is relatively straightforward. However, note that (like other trolls) he has a knockback skill, which he will use on you, then run after you to continue fighting, which results in the fight moving farther and farther away from the starting location. If the fight moves too far from where it began, Taushakh will reset, running back to the start point, regaining ALL of his morale, and applying the skill Hardened Bark. Since Legolas is still in the area, Thaushakh will instantly re-aggro and the fight will start all over again, without giving Legolas and the player a chance to rest and heal up. Therefore, if knocked back, try to return to the location where the fight started.

Hopefully this helps!

PS: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Epic_Quests is a good resource if you need a bit of help, or want to check possible quest rewards etc
    Main - Nimthriel 85 RK

Others || Ellethwyn Darkarrow 85 HNT | Gwyawyn Lionheart 56 CPT | Eadraen 10 LM | Raedwen 10 GRD | Rosilee 10 MINS

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Unmarked-Trail
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Chapter-8-Help

This instance is most probably bugged. Level up a bit or get help. Good luck
    [COLOR=#9999ff]Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Hah. A hobbit craves not these things.[/COLOR]
    Brandie's LOTRO Links: [URL="http://lotro-links.de"]lotro-links.de[/URL]

Thanks for the tips! I ended up having a nice lvl 85 RK help out though, wasted the final boss in about 7 seconds!!

Knock-Back Woes

I try to keep the wall to my back as I fight him...the knock-back goes about 2 feet, I hit the wall, and the fight carries on.

Well, my level 41 guard tried this quest last night and was not able to defeat the final boss. I didn't have any problem keeping Legolas alive (I had Protection on him) until I switched to Overpower for more DPS.

My biggest problem was not the KB or the quest resetting, but his heal. The good news is that Stamp does indeed interrupt it, but the bad news is that with a 1 minute recharge, it wasn't up nearly often enough to keep him from healing back to 14K morale.

Even then I *might* have been able to whittle him down, but I started running out of power after a while and then it was a losing battle.

I'll gain a level or two and try again, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I may need someone to provide some additional damage. But you know, IMO this quest would be a lot more soloable if they'd just cut back on the frequency of his heals.

The good news is that Stamp does indeed interrupt it
    Not all the time. Very rarely, in fact. I don't know the reason. Someone wrote that interrupt hits are on diminishing returns. I'm not sure if that applies to PvE. Perhaps it is his 6 Bark buffs which prevent interrupts from hitting.

I agree that cutting down the frequency of his heals would probably solve the problem. It would make the fight a DPS race, which would be totally okay.

Yet I think that the encounter is designed as reaction training (interrupting the heals). If that is so, it is bugged, because far too few interrupts get through.
    Last edited by Brandie; Jan 28 2013 at 04:53 PM.
    [COLOR=#9999ff]Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Hah. A hobbit craves not these things.[/COLOR]
    Brandie's LOTRO Links: [URL="http://lotro-links.de"]lotro-links.de[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie View Post
    Not all the time. Very rarely, in fact. I don't know the reason. Someone wrote that interrupt hits are on diminishing returns. I'm not sure if that applies to PvE. Perhaps it is his 6 Bark buffs which prevent interrupts from hitting.
    Huh, I must have been super lucky, since most of my interrupts did work. Didn't help enough, of course, since he could get off another heal or two while Stamp was recharging.

I agree that cutting down the frequency of his heals would probably solve the problem. It would make the fight a DPS race, which would be totally okay.

Yet I think that the encounter is designed as reaction training (interrupting the heals). If that is so, it is bugged, because far too few interrupts get through.
    Nice idea in theory, but if they truly want to make it soloable by a character anywhere near the level of the mission it sounds like they need to make the interrupts more reliable and the heals less frequent.

there are many threads about this one, had the same problems, at 40 i could not beat it, but i came back at lvl 45 and beat it easily, so lvl on a bit and try again i would say
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

My guardian is now level 42 and I'm getting impatient to finish this quest, so I'm considering recruiting some help. Does anyone know if you still get the inspiration bonus if you duo this? (I have a feeling it could be challenging even for a duo without the morale boost--those wood trolls hit hard!)