We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Harwick's "Rohirrim and Bandits" quest - bugged?

I've been trying to complete the Rohirrim and Bandits Hytbold-related quest in Harwick but the sword icon becomes outlined in red the first time I use it successfully to tap a running child. From that point on, I get a message stating "The item can't be used". The first child I tap is usually Ergrim at the Crafting Hall and I've done it both on horseback (war steed and non-war steed) and on foot. I've also tried using the sword icon displayed in the Quest Log and have tried moving the sword icon from my inventory pack to my main button bar and using it from there with mouse clicks and pressing the appropriate button bar key.

Each time I try to tap a running child, I've targeted the child first then tried to activate the wooden sword icon.

Is there some trick I'm missing or is it bugged to the point I should give up? It's the last Hytbold-related quest I need to finish and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never even tried to target a child. I just position myself somewhere in his path and hit the wooden sword icon as soon as the red border disappears.

It should work as long as you are close enough to the child. I usually target the child and then ride up right next to him with my horse and when the quest sword turns green I click it.
    Noldor of Arkenstone

I always highlight the child first and I've had no problems. I didn't know you didn't need to.

Thank you all for your replies. If it's working for others, then it sounds like it may be something on my end. Latency maybe? Who knows? I'll keep trying the quest and test starting with a NPC other than the ones nearest the Mead Hall.

No need to target

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    I've never even tried to target a child. I just position myself somewhere in his path and hit the wooden sword icon as soon as the red border disappears.
    Agreed! I've done it with 3 toons and never had to target the child. Just wait until the border turns green and bash them. Also, I have some lag in the message coming up so I found it helpful to look at my log which tells right away whether the tag was successful or not.
    Deavonian 76 Elf Champion, Rhimorea 69 Man Loremaster, Deavwyn 75 Woman Minstrel
    Renardric 63 Man Captain, Renardo 36 Hobbit Warden, Impatens 33 Hobbit Burglar
    Renardalin 32 Dwarf Rune-Keeper, Renardolin 22 Dwarf Guardian