We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Regarding Farming.

On the one hand I don’t want to impose how I think a person should play the game they pay for, been there done that and I was wrong I’ve evolved. The farming issue keeps poking itself into the conversation on both sides and my thoughts on it are evolving as well. Someone pointed out to me how easy it is to get infamy now. 5-8k a day for a few hours isn’t out of the norm, I mean I played for an hour last night and got 3k during which we grabbed the relic, pure PVE. I recall my first 8.5 ranks prior to RoR being long slogs. As someone who only plays on average 5-7 hours a week it took me a while to rank. I’m seeing people grab R8 in 2 weeks on small servers which is fine but then I scratch my head on this farming thing.

I’m evolving on the issue.

With the flow if infamy what’s the real motivation for these people? Is it the R10 LI’s? Also I’m seeing acceptance as well, on crickhollow we have an admitted farmer being accepted into raids freepside. Essentially they are supporting farming, now some in his kin farm and don’t have a problem with it but there are a lot of other people freepside on that server who look like they paid their dues out there I’m surprised they are nurturing these people.

Other then repeated ganks there isn’t a lot you can do to the farmers. Is the norm on other servers to accept admitted and known farmers into groups or is there some “scarlet letter” type approach? Again I’m on the fence still, I’m a casual player and certainly don’t begrudge people playing the game they paid for the way they desire but the inf/rkn flow is pretty steady.

Why not just raid up and get your 5k a day?

Because 5k a day doesn't compare to 145k a day. Or even 131k a day, much less 46k a day.

Just an example of one person on my server, for his spider. He tried to be an equal opportunity farmer, but his burg is only pulling in 11-25k a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    I don’t want to impose how I think a person should play the game they pay for
    Then why not allow a person to use bots in PvE for non-gold/tp farming purposes?
    Why not let us hack and get to 85? Why not let us hack to max out craft level?
    Why not let us hack to instantly complete all quests in the areas we have already bought?

You can throw arguments on why farming is wrong or why it's not wrong, I don't care. Farming annoys me, but it doesn't concern me that much, really.
    All I'm saying is the act of farming is seen as unethical in most video gaming communities, and Turbine is allowing such a thing to happen only because the PvP community of this game is small, thus they can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    Because 5k a day doesn't compare to 145k a day. Or even 131k a day, much less 46k a day.

Just an example of one person on my server, for his spider. He tried to be an equal opportunity farmer, but his burg is only pulling in 11-25k a day.
    I recall when 5k a day was a top day. So you get a 145k a day thats frigging R8. Creepside I can see why you would, a lot opens up at R6, but Im not understanding why freepside (where this seems to be more prevelant). My hunter is out, im getting good reknown being in small groups and raids got 3 pieces close to a 4th and I literally play him once a week.

Whats the benefit they are getting from doing this that Im not seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt123 View Post
    Then why not allow a person to use bots in PvE for non-gold/tp farming purposes?
    Why not let us hack and get to 85? Why not let us hack to max out craft level?
    Why not let us hack to instantly complete all quests in the areas we have already bought?

You can throw arguments on why farming is wrong or why it's not wrong, I don't care. Farming annoys me, but it doesn't concern me that much, really.
    All I'm saying is the act of farming is seen as unethical in most video gaming communities, and Turbine is allowing such a thing to happen only because the PvP community of this game is small, thus they can get away with it.
    Frankly Im not even annoyed I was just surprised last night when I saw a known and admitted farmer on crickhollow running in the freep raid with well respected freeps. I mean several R10+ these people didnt farm their rank since RoR they were out slogging through the meyer for literally years.

Im guess im just surprised its becoming an accepted practice and not shunned. I dont know any farmers personally, but I dont think I would group with them and honestly I dont have a rational explination as to why (which I can normally come up with). I guess Im getting to the point where I can see its devaluation of the PvP, its not something I care immensely about but believe it or not I do have a modicum of principal left.

Not a lot though...

I recall when 5k a day was a top day. So you get a 145k a day thats frigging R8. Creepside I can see why you would, a lot opens up at R6, but Im not understanding why freepside (where this seems to be more prevelant). My hunter is out, im getting good reknown being in small groups and raids got 3 pieces close to a 4th and I literally play him once a week.

Whats the benefit they are getting from doing this that Im not seeing?
    I honestly don't know what benefit this person is aiming for, he didn't start at R0, he started at a higher rank than that but I don't feel like looking it up, but it was around R9 or more. It's not like he can't get the skills he wants from the store, as the time spent farming infamy/comms is more than what it would take to farm some TP to buy the skill.

Im guess im just surprised its becoming an accepted practice and not shunned. I dont know any farmers personally, but I dont think I would group with them and honestly I dont have a rational explination as to why (which I can normally come up with). I guess Im getting to the point where I can see its devaluation of the PvP, its not something I care immensely about but believe it or not I do have a modicum of principal left.
    If farmers do not feel the need to have (or, more accurately, appear to have) even a modicum of principle, why would they then try to justify what they are doing? People who break rules have consciences, but lenient ones. For example, a farmer on my server also used a stat exploit, using the same excuse of "trying to make PvP better by convincing creeps we freeps don't like getting camped".

What I feel about farming is similar to what I feel about steroids. I see people in the gym saying "roiding isn't wrong, it's just a faster way of reaching your goals". But, to me, going to the gym is much more than just getting buff: It's more about the discipline, endurance to hardships, and health you gain.

Similarly, a farmer probably hasn't learnt his class like the back of his hand, like a person who earned his rank would. This is not always true, one of the farmers (same one I was talking about) on my server is actually a skilled player. But that doesn't stop us from subconsciously making generalizations. Perhaps this is why you wouldn't group with them?