We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to reduce Raid lag (PvMP Rai[quoteders READ this!)

Not a Free People? Check out the Creepside lag-reducing guide: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?521397

Hello folks!

I can in no way guarantee that by doing this ALL of the lag will be gone. BUT I can guarantee that the lag will be lessened. When you're out there in a Raid vs. Raid fight that's all that matters. In a nutshell I'm going to show you how to get rid of all the &&&& you're wearing and all those unnecessary particles and such.

Raid Leaders, link your members to this or run them through it in-game or over TS/RC or whatever.

There are others ways too like running LOTRO on a flash, but I'm just going to touch the basics. These ones you can do in about a minute at the last second without fear of slowing your Raid down. Your Raids performance is better when its players aren't lagging terribly.

1). Minimizing Gear Lag
    Every piece of gear showing is an extra model for the computer to load. In populated areas, this can be a strain depending on your machines performance. Just because you have a really good machine doesn't mean everyone in your raid does. Help THEM out by doing the following. So EVERYONE in the raid needs to do this even if THEY are not getting any lag themselves.

Press C, select "Cosmetics Outfit" tab

Yes this does work while you are ANYWHERE in the Ettenmoors. Now do you see the eye icons over some of the pieces? Click the eye to make the eye close. You need all 5 of those eyes to be closed.

2). Particle Effects & Extra Effect Icons
    Okay now this one only effects your side. Doing this won't lessen the lag for OTHERS like the gear thing does.

STEP 1 - Press CTRL+O to open your options panel. Select "UI Settings" tab.
    Now scroll on down to the section titled, "Special Effects Options". You need to uncheck ALL of these.

STEP 2 - Press CTRL+O to open your options panel. Select "Social" tab.
    Now scroll on down to the selection titled, "Group Effect Options". These ones need to be checked.

3). Overall Graphics & Game Engine
    ***STEP 1***
    If you're still experiencing LAG you will want to turn down your graphics a bit. Press CTRL+O to open your options panel, and select the tab, "Graphics" and turn your overall graphics down. Then go into the "Advanced Graphics" tab and make sure everything is low, because Turbine doesn't turn EVERYTHING down when you turn it down under the Graphics tab.

Makes sure "Player Crowd Quality" at the bottom is turned down to 0.

You can make adjustments to the others based on your computers performance.

***STEP 2***
    This is unnecessary if step 1 solved your lag issues.

Press CTRL+O, click on the "Troubleshoot" tab.

Turn the desired options down.

4). Load less models
    OKAY for people who are EXTREME lagged, I want you to ZOOM in all the way so you can't see your character. I want you to aim your camera at the floor. The computer will load way less models this way. You'll have to navigate by watching your mini-map to see where your Raid members are.

Melee - Melee, press CTRL+O to open your options panel. Go to "Combat Options" tab. Scroll down and find "Enable Movement Assistance in Combat". Now all you have to do is select a target from your raid assist target and mash your melee skills and your character will move to the target and start hitting it.

Ranged - Nothing special for you guys. Just select your raid assist target and let some skills loose.

Other lag-reducing tips
    Quote Originally Posted by Ainaes
    Heard it yesterday from a kinnie:

- turn auto loot off
    - untick "standard" in your chat filter.

this way the loot won't go in your bag but kept in the overflow bag and you don't see all the loot rolling down in your chatbox. Seemed to help a lot for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jureon
    Removing shadows and reducing frill distance in RvsR solved my problem, otherwise running with very high settings, I recommend trying.

I hope this helps some folks out!

I'm sure many hate it when you dive into a Raid fight and get lagged out.

~Ansi
    Brawlers
    Last edited by Graycient; Aug 26 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Excellent post, nice work.
    Snowbourn - Commander Shakbasher - Lieutenant Glurf

Warriors of The Great Eye

+rep Bryter for taking the time to make good posts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000013320a/signature.png]Rosenthal[/charsig]

All of us knob heads miss you Sylidor - R.I.P.

+rep great post
    Fight bravely, win epically. But if you must die ... die well.
    Rkahnakh, R12 BA. Aesopwulf, R8 LM.

nice thread and ty....but basically i have to play as a stick figure and get rid of important effects that help big time just cause turbine/WB wont fix the servers or upgrade them..
    I do it for the lulz. ~SnH~
    People @ turbine/WB are a huge tease, but dont worry they end up screwing you on every update/expansion.
    " When enough scrubs get together, they accomplish great things "

The only thing I hadn't tried was the particle effects. Changing that did not fix my skill lag, but it gave me enough frames to see where i'm going when the creeps come.

Bit of warning though, you won't see bubbles or oath breakers with that off.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by sebo2yoface View Post
    nice thread and ty....but basically i have to play as a stick figure and get rid of important effects that help big time just cause turbine/WB wont fix the servers or upgrade them..
    If you are in a raid then those effects are really just a jumble of lights and whistles. There is nothing too important here. You will miss induction rings but you will know the animations after so long so it's not critical. That's about it. You don't need to see a player on fire to know he's on fire though. Showing dispellable effects will let you kow if there is a state on a player that can be taken off.

Personally, I can still run on high in the moors as long as I take off all of the goofy particle effects and all of theuseless icons. I cannot stress the difference that removing the excess icons will make. I thought I needed a new PC until I set it ip to show only the dispellable effect icons. Same with the effects. Not really neccessary for the Moors but will slow an otherwise capable system to a crawl.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    The only thing I hadn't tried was the particle effects. Changing that did not fix my skill lag, but it gave me enough frames to see where i'm going when the creeps come.

Bit of warning though, you won't see bubbles or oath breakers with that off.
    True but you do get used to looking for the bubble icon on your target. It stands out once you know what to look for especially due to it's rage-inducing qualities.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior

+rep for the effort. Its great to see people working on and documenting solutions.

Many thanks for all of that! I too added rep FWIW.

However, the problem I was seeing involved latency in the host acknowledging commands. MMO clients are designed based on a time honored principle: the game client is in the hands of the enemy. Lord of the Rings Online takes this very seriously, hence the long, long start up loading times and such.

What this also means is that the worst of it comes when lots and lots of people are engaged in a battle, sending a high volume of commands to the host which then must sanity check and acknowledge them, enabling your client to execute them.

There also appears to be lag in host allocation of resources to do the above. The fact that both side have formed up 24 person raid parties is apparently not enough. They must meet in combat before the host does the code equivalent of OMG! and devotes more resources to the conflagration. This is why the *second* act of the mass battle often seems smoother than the first.

Question is, do some of the lag prevention measures proposed here serve to reduce the volume of queries to the host? Does reducing draw distance, for example, tax the host less? That would make sense.

I'm certainly going to try them all....there are some listed I didn't know about. It has certainly been below the threshold of fun or learning on my server when I've ventured there....albeit during peak hours and large battles.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/052140000000e4452/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Very good info!

Even got a good chuckle out of it.

Step 1: Get naked.
    [URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/73sg.png/"][IMG]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9918/73sg.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#faebd7][FONT=Arial Black][Izo - Chief - Traxi - Free!ps] - [[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I]Surmit[/I] -[/B][/FONT] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B]Corupluk - Healzr - Monsters Inc.][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ffff00][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]**Forum Reputation - I'm renowned for my incompetence.**[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Heard it yesterday from a kinnie:

- turn auto loot off
    - untick "standard" in your chat filter.

this way the loot won't go in your bag but kept in the overflow bag and you don't see all the loot rolling down in your chatbox. Seemed to help a lot for me. And stay away from keeps :P seems to be worse in keeps then on the open fields tbh.

Removing shadows and reducing frill distance in RvsR solved my problem, otherwise running with very high settings, I recommend trying.
    [Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin]
    Member of Puliveivarit
    I was a corner survivor

or you know turbine can just stop being lazy and ditch this worthless engine they are using with a proper 1 that can handle MMO's, if they do that they wouldn't even need to upgrade the servers.

I would rather see them working on that instead of getting a new xpac each year that only makes the game lag even more, I'd gladly give up an xpac or even 2 if it took that long to get a proper engine for this game.

although I doubt the whole team could work on it I bet they can do this while making an xpac as well... ooh right I forgot turbine seems to think investing in your game isn't smart.
    [IMG]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2637/2q6n.jpg[/IMG]

thanks!

Good post mate very useful.

Logged in just to give you rep. Epic stuff
    Calthoras. R14 Runekeeper - R11 Champion - R8 Captain - R8 Loremaster - R7 Minstrel - R6 Hunter - R6 Guardian - R6 Burglar - R6 Warden
    R8 Warleader - R7 Warg - R7 Reaver - R6 Blackarrow - R6 Weaver - R6 Defiler
    Leader of the Keepers of Silmarils

Step 1: Transfer off of BW.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ccf07/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Happy to see folks are finding it useful

The easy way to lessen the lag received...don't target me

I'll try this tonight since turbine is making the lag much worse latley - thanks graycient!

This is a great guide. I just discovered this today. I used this as the model for a guide I created for creeps. I credited you there.

A link to that:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...A-Visual-Guide
    [img]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj534/ladiesandgentlemen69/Sugarbits_zpsf333e556.jpg[/img]

Good post. Needs to be stickied. +Rep from a long time laggist .

I think there's some confusion between FPS and lag.

FPS is frames per second, and is a measure of how well your machine can render frames. This stat should be completely separate from lag (unless the game is written really poorly - and even though LOTRO won't win any awards for ingenious coding, it does not suffer from tying the frame rate to network bandwidth.) All of the items listed in this post will more than likely increase your FPS. While this is not a bad thing, as playing in an environment that looks like a slideshow is no fun, this won't help lag issues at all.

Lag is a fuzzy term that is a combination of one or more of latency, packet loss and ping times. This is almost entirely up to your service provider and Turbine. The only exception is if you're being silly and downloading gigantic files or running torrents, etc.

Make no mistake - the lag people experience in this game is almost all Turbine's fault. Whether it's because they're too cheap to buy bandwidth and servers that can handle the load, or because their networking team is really bad, or a combination of all the above, it's totally out of your hands. I rock a steady 100+ FPS on my machine, but I *still* hit packet loss problems and random moments of being stuck in place inexplicably. I only experience these issues with LOTRO, and other multiplayer games run fine and do not exhibit the problems that plague this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldeld View Post
    I think there's some confusion between FPS and lag.

FPS is frames per second, and is a measure of how well your machine can render frames. This stat should be completely separate from lag (unless the game is written really poorly - and even though LOTRO won't win any awards for ingenious coding, it does not suffer from tying the frame rate to network bandwidth.) All of the items listed in this post will more than likely increase your FPS. While this is not a bad thing, as playing in an environment that looks like a slideshow is no fun, this won't help lag issues at all.

Lag is a fuzzy term that is a combination of one or more of latency, packet loss and ping times. This is almost entirely up to your service provider and Turbine. The only exception is if you're being silly and downloading gigantic files or running torrents, etc.

Make no mistake - the lag people experience in this game is almost all Turbine's fault. Whether it's because they're too cheap to buy bandwidth and servers that can handle the load, or because their networking team is really bad, or a combination of all the above, it's totally out of your hands. I rock a steady 100+ FPS on my machine, but I *still* hit packet loss problems and random moments of being stuck in place inexplicably. I only experience these issues with LOTRO, and other multiplayer games run fine and do not exhibit the problems that plague this game.
    yes, and no. imo it's utterly shocking to see how much difference enabling 'only show dispellable effects' makes to game performance; it suggests that the graphical engine is horribly inefficient; its handling of area of effect skills (e.g. the lag caused by WL banners (!!!) and LM skills) only confirms that.

Cheers for Thread!
    I took a long time without playing and now I'm back, there are times when it becomes difficult to play because of the lag. And not only in my main server Snowbourn. I have never had as many problems as from HD in Ettens pvmp and some raids in pve. Enough people have told me it is normal... really is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast