We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestache View Post
    I don't think that petitions violate forums rules, but I do believe that Sapience has stated that forum petitions are essentially pointless. (I'm paraphrasing, as I can't recall the exact quote.)
    Yep, that's about what Sapience said, petitions are pointless and not encouraged.

Still, I'd like to see an end to all the abandoned yet unavailable houses.

/signed

I'm a lifer, and I've taken over a year off before, and I still think it should be foreclosed after a year. I like my deluxe home near my kin home as well, but I should sign in at least once a year to keep it vs. keeping others actively playing the game from having one.

If one year is questionable, they could start with 2 years and see how much that frees up.

/signed

I think the main reason the housing neighborhoods are always empty is because there's no reason to go hang out in them. The only reason I ever go to my kin's neighborhood is if I'm feeling extra thrifty and want to save a few silver on a repair bill or a bulk crafting goods purchase, but in those cases, I'm in and out in a couple minutes. I don't linger at the craft hall or browse the auctions--oh, right! Turbine intentially left those items out of neighborhoods for fear of making Bree, 21st Hall, etc. ghost towns.

So foreclose all you want, just don't expect your neighborhood to suddenly become a lively and happening place.

How about instead of the house being abandoned it is moved to a 'temporary' instance where it stays until the player that bought it returns to the game. Upon returning the house will be placed in a new instance exactly as it was before, or into the same instance if the slot there is still available.

This would clean up the empty instances while at the same time not removing any content from anyone that has purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by Narathia View Post
    How about instead of the house being abandoned it is moved to a 'temporary' instance where it stays until the player that bought it returns to the game. Upon returning the house will be placed in a new instance exactly as it was before, or into the same instance if the slot there is still available.

This would clean up the empty instances while at the same time not removing any content from anyone that has purchased it.
    Yes, it would the best solution, although need more programming as a conditional delete query.

Personally, what I'd want would involve a complete revamp of the housing system, anyway. I'd rather see dynamic neighborhoods where each house is non-specifically instanced. Might take some finagling to keep two people who live in the "same" house from being in the same neighborhood at once (unless they want to be), but it might go a long way toward making the neighborhoods seem more populated, without taking anything from folks who haven't logged in for a long time.
    The navigation throughout the LotRO site is horrible. You can quote me on that.
    [color=green]You say "[i]Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn[/i]" like it's a bad thing...[/color]

/signed or give housing a complete revamp /signed

/signed please do something!

=>this:
    Imo, it would be better if they changed the rules of auto-creating new neighbourhoods - if all houses of a certain type are 0, then create new neighbourhood.
    /signed

/signed

/signed

However, 1 year is a long time. Make it where they lose the house the second rent isnt paid, and can pay rent up to maybe 3-4 months. After trying and trying to find a house on Brandywine (not even standard houses available in anything but dorf area) I was pretty annoyed. What annoyed me even more was that I was trying to enter some houses just to look at the inside and it took me over an hour to find one that was still being paid for and used.

Genocid

Quote Originally Posted by Genocid View Post
    /signed

However, 1 year is a long time. Make it where they lose the house the second rent isnt paid, and can pay rent up to maybe 3-4 months. After trying and trying to find a house on Brandywine (not even standard houses available in anything but dorf area) I was pretty annoyed. What annoyed me even more was that I was trying to enter some houses just to look at the inside and it took me over an hour to find one that was still being paid for and used.

Genocid
    Can't remember the name of my neighborhood, but know it starts with a "G". My PC completely crashed, so can't get in for a few days. But pretty sure my house is open, and it's on Brandywine. Sorry I can't be more help about the address, but here's the directions to get to it. Enter instance, take first main turn to the right, go all the way to the end of the road, house is on the edge of the small lake/large pond there and belongs to Ameesa. There will be a guard, a swan fountain and a pet caveclaw in the front yard. As of just about a week ago, it was fully paid up in rent so won't be locked for lack of payment. Might even still have all 3 kegs up inside, Can't remember if I took one down for Christmas or not. While I'm gone, if anyone wants to go enjoy a drink or two, feel free.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000017b7b/01006/signature.png]Ameesa[/charsig]

Personally, I think a year is too long, but I can live with it. The excuse that there are military personnel on assignment doesn't wash with me, there are ways to ensure your upkeep is paid. The internet reaches pretty much every corner of the world these days. They can log on from wherever they are and deal with it. They can give permission to a friend or kinmate to pay it for them. There are solutions, so I don't buy the military excuse (having been there myself, I sympathize).

That said, I don't expect any reaction to this thread. Similar petitions have been started over and over and over for YEARS now, with not even a single comment from Turbine. This one will go exactly the same way.

However, in the event that my expectations are in error (which I rather hope is the case),

/signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Genocid View Post
    /signed

Genocid
    I don't see any reason to have an eviction/foreclosure process in a video game that is far more draconian than real life evictions and foreclosures. Booting people out the very second that their "rent" is overdue? No thank you.

/signed.

Housing system really sucks at the moment, in Landroval there's only 3 or so neighborhoods in Bree with non-kinship houses that are available. No deluxe, of course.

Perhaps the person would be kicked out of their house but their stuff would be in escrow indefinitely? Or, as a person suggested below, new neighborhoods should appear when number of a particular type of house in a neighborhood (be it deluxe or standard houses) reaches 0?

There's plenty of solutions, they just need to be implemented. Please do so, Turbine.

while i do agree the lack of housing in neighborhoods is something that needs to be addressed. The question is how to go about doing it so that everyone or most of the player is base will be satisfied. We all know that no matter what turbine does to try and fix this situation some players will still be unhappy.

Since a dev has already stated in another thread that housing will be looked at after update 11. I think we ALL could show show our support for the game and help Turbine come up with actual ways to improve and implement it. Perhaps the devs will take notice of our ideas and see what will work best and implement it.

for example: Abandoned houses issue.

I dont have a problem with people who have abandoned their houses loosing them after 1 year so someone else can put it to use (if you dont want to pay maint on yer house or kin building within 12 months after yer last payment I feel you should loose the house) But I do have a problem with anyone who has ever had a toon on any server loosing the items in the housing chests and all the decorations. Which is where the main problem is.

Another issue is a lot of players have placed Bound decorations in other players or their kins housing which would create additional issues.

#1 Houses used to abandon after maint was not paid and all items went to escrow. But the escrow only held the items for 2 weeks before auto deleting. this is a problem so re implementing this idea just will not work.

#2 Current system is set up so You buy a house get it all decorated and fill the chests. You dont pay any maint on your house all the items and decorations get put into escrow and your house is locked until you decide to log in or go pay maint on it.

which is why we have a current issue which is really bad on some servers.

So

Option A) Escrow vaults would need to be revamped so that any items or decorations would not be auto deleted like it did before. This would take a lot of line by line re-coding to make it work imo.

Option B) Create from Scratch. New Escrow vault then convert old escrow system into new and then remove it.

I think it has always been easier to fix stuff when building new from scratch both in RL and in games. So

Step 1) make sure to keep old system in place to make Until it works properly and no one looses items.

Step 2) Create new escrow system. Design this so it would recognize any players attached to a house or kin account.

example: player A has not paid maint on his deluxe house in 12 months so it goes into the new housing Escrow. Issue, Player b (friend of player A) had placed a bound to charecter Yard decoration, (say The tower from Isengard).. New Escrow system Auto detects ownership and puts the bound item into a Escrow vault for player B and send the player an Email to notify him.

Example 2: Player A has not paid maint on his house in 12 months. Items go to player A's new escrow and he looses the building. Player B had Placed a Bound to account item on Player A's yard. Player B since placing has Deleted the character that placed it so the new escrow vault would be able to auto detect Player B's account and find any other characters attached to same account as deleted character. If Player B as transferred his characters he would loose the item he placed on player A's yard.

Step 3) Once Step 1 and 2 are completed. What to do with those items already in escrow. This would take a bit of work. Because Either the devs would have to manually x-fer all the current items in escrow to the new escrow system or new code would have to be added to the old escrow system that would auto x-fer any items

Step 4) After all x-fers from old system are complete and new system is running and no items being lost. Remove the old system.

Option C) Auto delivery placement of items: Housing that is already in escrow or new houses just going into escrow, a patch would need to be written that would automatically take any housing or items in in escrow and fill that players/characters vault/ inventory on that account.Not sure how well this idea would work since many players with abandoned houses havent been seen from in game in long time.

Option D) Kick em out! With this idea, it means basically. you have not paid any maint on your house in 12 months you loose it and everything in it. Decorations, chest items everything. Yes, I already know this is just outright wrong and agree its wrong but i added it to the list to help get a list of ideas going..

We have solved the issue of houses in our Kinship. On our forums is a list of everyones house location. Should someone be planning to take a break, in the military, etc. all they have to do is post on our thread they will be gone for a while, and can someone please pay their maintenance. We do have a few military folks, and we have kept them pretty current. I have a couple of folks that are having RL issues, and at this time cannot play, so we keep them paid up. About once per month I make a list, and take my hunter and travel the lands and pay everyones maintenance that is on the list. However, we do have those that have left, and I am certain they will not be returning, so I do not pay their maintenance. IF they lose their house due to non-payment, that is their issue, the opportunity to not lose it, is only a forum away. All they have to do is request us to watch over their home.

As for the amount of silver, it costs, I can pay these for a long time before I run out of gold. I do not have anything better to spend it on. So why not help a fellow kinmate.

As for the petition, /signed.

I agree there really needs to be some changes in the housing system. Even if Turbine went with 2 yrs that would free up ALOT of houses.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000011c3ee/01006/signature.png]Amella[/charsig]

/signed

I feel the pain of that post and situation, so yes. This should be changed

My solution is simple:

After a certain amount of time (one year or maybe less) of a home being locked allow that location to be purchased. Then, move the existing locked house to a new neighborhood IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT to be filled in with other locked houses as the locations they are on (and neighborhoods they are in) are purchased.

No need for escrow!

No need to force anyone to abandon their house!

No need for anyone to ever loose their stuff if and when they decide to come back!

Neighborhoods can then be filled with kinnes and people who will regularly "mow their lawns".

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

Canberra, Australia (Asylum for the Cynically Insane)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Hunor View Post
    Hello, as Tirian-Hammerfist wrote here
    please clean the trash in the Housing Instances.
    There are already three years that I never see somebody in my Housing instance, except my Kinship.
    Other Kinship members must buy their Houses in other instances because in our Kinship Housing Instance are no free houses, although there are no soul in them.
    NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

This is the easy way out and simply will not fix the problems of a fundamentally flawed design.

I am a lifer! I bought the game when it first started. I took a break from the game for two years. For one of those years I diligently logged in each month and spent ALL MY MONEY keeping my place running. Now I'm locked out with no money. It's disheartening getting back into the game now because of that.

Brining REAL WORLD things like rent and eviction into a GAME is an insane idea. The system needs to be completely rethought out and rebuilt from the ground up. Quick fix solutions are NOT the answer.

/signed

Housing revamp is coming this year, hang in there folks.you peeps in brandywine need bunkbeds.

/signed. 12 months seems very reasonable. If you can’t arrange for upkeep or move the items in your house that are important to you out by then, it isn’t actually important to you and shouldn’t keep active players from owning a house.

I agree that the current situation is not very good, and helpful.

But it is nice if a kin can get all the members in the same neighbourhood. I thought about two other options than eviction.

O1: If a neighbourhood is full, the kin and players are allowed to transfer their houses to a new, empty neighbourhood (even if a very small fee is involved). I know some neighbourhoods where two kins areorganised to share the same area. Would involve some work for Turbine, but it would be a nice touch

O2: When a kin buys a house in a neighbourhood, they have an option to block buying any other houses there (or number of houses) - permission required from the kin. Houses cannot be used until bought....maybe the kin has to pay the rent for all the houses until sold. No misuse as it could be expensive, and no way to use empty houses. This option should be for all new neighbourhoods. A few new neighbourhoods would need to be created

Both options might be impossible to implement, but thought it is worthwhile to put them out here...
    Now please be gentle and don't shoot me down too quickly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast