We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warden vs Minstrel for Mostly Soloing?

I've just returned to LOTRO after a two year hiatus. I currently have a mid level Minstrel and Warden and loved both classes equally. With the many changes that have happened to the game I've decided to start over no matter what. Now I don't know which class to do first :-).

I wanted any suggestions on the nature of soloing the current Minstrel and Warden classes. I can safely assume the Warden class is still a soloing behemoth, but I'm still curious what the major changes to the class were. While I soloed my Minstrel before, I was wondering if it was easier or more difficult, and of course what the major differences between the current Minstrel and the older one is.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about minstrels as I've never played one, but the Warden is amazing for soloing, I've only ever had to fellow twice so far.
    [center][b][color=turquoise]Erebdraug R9 Warden - Erebelleth R6 Rune-Keeper[/color] | [color=crimson]Roshyk R6 Reaver - Rukat R6 Warg[/color][/b][/center]

For soloing, warden wins...
    Both classes do decent dps, hardly ever run oop
    and have epic selfhealing abilities. Biggest difference:
    Warden has a bit better mitigations and way better
    defences, therefore taking way less damage.

If you ever intend to group, I can tell you that a mini
    is easier to get into groups with. Wardens still have
    a name for being the weaker tank. This is not because
    wardens are bad tanks, but because it actually takes
    skill to play a Warden well.

I must admit though: I suck at healing and I'm only a
    mediocre tanking warden (So I suck at tanking, because
    wardens just cannot allow themselves to be just mediocre)
    Hence, I play a guardian as my main

edit: If you really want to start over again, you may want
    to consider levelling a guardian first. If you level a mini or
    warden first, you will find yourself running out of patience
    with levelling a Guard... Overpower has been improved, but
    it's still a slow process to level one :P
    Last edited by EvAmy; Jan 15 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sapienmod1984 View Post
    I've just returned to LOTRO after a two year hiatus. I currently have a mid level Minstrel and Warden and loved both classes equally. With the many changes that have happened to the game I've decided to start over no matter what. Now I don't know which class to do first :-).

I wanted any suggestions on the nature of soloing the current Minstrel and Warden classes. I can safely assume the Warden class is still a soloing behemoth, but I'm still curious what the major changes to the class were. While I soloed my Minstrel before, I was wondering if it was easier or more difficult, and of course what the major differences between the current Minstrel and the older one is.

Thanks in advance!
    It depends exactly when in the last two years you left, but there were huge changes to Minis right before the Rise of Isengard expansion. There's a post here that outlines most of the changes, in an excellent format (skip the traits section to start). If you're used to the 'tiers' of ballads (again, depends on when you left), you'll be in for some HUGE changes - pretty much all of them good, imo (and in the opinions of just about every single mini I know). Since you say you'll be starting with a new char, you can get used to the changes normally.

Minis are a ton of fun to solo, more-so than they ever were before, but they're not as fast as wardens and while they can do a surprising amount of small fellowship-type content solo, they can't do as much as wardens can. But they're easier to solo than a lot of classes, and I really, really enjoy playing my mini.

I have both at 85+. Both are easy, fun and extremely solo-friendly compared to other classes. Both classes have endless heals and power return, turning them into unstoppable killing machines.

But i would say that the Minstrel was slightly faster to level, i did level mine after RoI and the changes. Easy to do quests when you have so much AoE burst dmg and can avoid aggro and loose aggro. Wardens have a higher ability to solo fellowship-content however.

One other aspect making levelling slower, is that Wardens takes more time to fully master. Its a lot of gambits to memorize. Takes more time to become a really good Warden than becoming a good mini. Being a good healer is not really technical. More based on quick reactions and timing, not that much to memorize in terms of skills compare to every single gambit in the game.

For grouping Warden is more beneficial. The need for a good main tank have always been far greater than the need for healers. So many classes can heal. Cappy and LM can do all but main heal raids. Than you have RK who are actually preferred over mini in situations where single target healing is more important than group-healing.

I haven't played my Mini in some while, certainly since some time before the changes, so I can't really comment. I got him to the mid 50s where he stalled. But he was a lot of fun. However, my experiences with him will most likely mirror your own, so I can't really help you there.

My Warden is now rolling up to 85, having put him on a shelf to level my champ to max and put him through Hytbold. I've played him since inception and there have been, as you say, a number of changes. One thing, however, hasn't changed, they are still beasts when soloing.

You've got a ranged stance now, 'Assailment', and you'll need to stock up on the ranged versions of your gambits. They made them as separate skills and so you'll need to purchase them from your trainer. Not a good stance for soloing in general, as there is a minimum range which will prevent the gambits from being used. Handy when fighting ranged mobs when you can't be bothered to run up to them. Also, they shuffled some gambits around, meaning that you might have lost one or two. This was mainly the higher end ones, so you might not be affected. They are still there, just gated at higher levels.

You've got a skill called Battle Memory, and a state called 'Empowered'. Once empowered (by using either a fi-fi, sh-sh, or sp-sp gambit) the next gambit you do will be memorised. This can then be instantly used by activating the Battle Memory skill. Useful for keeping an interrupt or heal up your sleeve, or for just piling on some quick damage.

There is also a Battle Preparation skill. Activating this allows you to run through a gambit without being in combat. Used to get some buffs up before getting stuck in.

There are probably a couple of other things I've overlooked, but these, I think, are the major changes.

All in all Wardens remain outstanding soloists, with exceptional grouping abilities.

H.

Warden and Minstrel are the two strongest solo classes in the game, they are both pretty much immortal due to self healing and they can both regenerate power which is the limiting factor for many other classes. The warden is sturdier and more immortal than the minstrel, a minstrel can get into trouble if fighting too many enemies at once, however the minstrel does more damage and is generally faster to level for that reason.

I found minstrel to be the most boring solo class I have played, you are never really challenged by anything and even though you can use a ton of skills, because you are so powerful it rarely matters if you have a rotation or just randomly hit buttons. Warden does take more skill and I think is the consensus most difficult class to master in the game, warden is more useful in group content as tanks are often the limiting factor in runs and for many raids wardens are preferred over guardians due to healing and superior threat generation.

I have yet to find a class more fun than champion when it comes to soloing, you are challenged a lot if you are like me and hit fervor as soon as you log in and never take it off, you turn every fight into a damage race because you will die sooner or later. The challenge as a champion is to fight as many enemies as once as possible.

Wow, thanks for all of the great feedback! Honestly, I'm coming from a few games with not so great communities and just this short thread is a breath of fresh air.

I'm thinking the Warden is more my style because it sounds a bit more challenging to get the hang of. I like the challenge so I think I'll start with that one for now. Minstrel is on the list for sure though and I'm looking towards the RK as well since it just looks cool.

I left the game soon after MoM came out actually. Not because I wanted to though (my computer decided it just didn't want to go on.) Happy to be back!

Quote Originally Posted by sapienmod1984 View Post

I'm thinking the Warden is more my style because it sounds a bit more challenging to get the hang of. I like the challenge so I think I'll start with that one for now. Minstrel is on the list for sure though and I'm looking towards the RK as well since it just looks cool.
    So, How are things going?
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Riddermark/Hocus"]
    [/URL] [/CENTER]

Well, i have both Minstrel and Warden, both are good solo classes
    I leveled Minstel first because its my first character, and i like it, i like the way its fighting, and i didnt want to start Warden before my Minstrel gets 85 because i know if i started Warden, its some new expirience and i would play Warden and leave my Minstrel. and then when both are 60ish i dont have any 85 character...So better levelup character u first started