We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Leveling and Instances

Hi im new to the game, lvl 19 Captain. What level can I start joining fellowships to do instances? Im getting tired of soloing..
    Also which place is best for me to level right now?

Thanks

Andrast for now, then The Forsaken inn in Lone Lands.
    As for the Instances and Skirmishes part, you will start at level 20, which is pretty close from now.

Starting at level 20 you will be able to do skirmihes which can be run solo, duo, 3-man, 6-man and 12-man size. You will also get the first of the 3 Great Barrow(GB) instances at level 20. You can usually get a group for a low level GB in Bree or the glff channel and some kins still run it.

As Rocketboy said, Lone Lands is the next main area for you to quest. Just follow the Epic Quest line and it will lead you right to it. Good Luck
    Arkenstone

Guardian of the Free Peoples & Bree Land Brewing Company

Dobraine - Warden l Dobriana - Rune Keeper
    Dobrion - Burglar l Dobralia - Minstrel
    Shiona - Lore Master l Dobriel - Captain
    Cruxius - Guardian l Nephilym - Warden
    Arcamedes - Rune Keeper l Yukiri - Hunter

Ok I must be doing something wrong because I cant find a fellowship. I tried the instance finder program and waited for 30 minutes but it didnt find anything. I also did a LFF in Bree and asked if I can join someones fellowship but no one replied.

Is it hard to find fellowships in this game or what?

I want to do GB and instances with a fellowship..

When you are tired of soloing, you can still join a fellowship to grind or quest at any time. Also, a kin is a good way to find others for instances, epsecially one iwht a variety of classes and levels.

Also depends on the server, on some of the smaller ones the non level cap population can be pretty much nonexistent.
    Beastwise, Captain, R15 | Gladden | Shock and Awe
    Original Challenger of Saruman
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

With the new crafting XP gain introduced recently, it is even harder to find groups.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e00000029285a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by EyesInTheSky91 View Post
    Ok I must be doing something wrong because I cant find a fellowship. I tried the instance finder program and waited for 30 minutes but it didnt find anything. I also did a LFF in Bree and asked if I can join someones fellowship but no one replied.
    Is it hard to find fellowships in this game or what?
    I want to do GB and instances with a fellowship..
    Use GLFF
    (although mainly for lvl 85 fellowships)

Instance Finder is basically useless for finding groups. And fellowships are usually only formed for specific instances/quests, so a generic "asked if I can join someones fellowship" is unlikely to get any replies. If you're level 19 it will also be a bit tricky to find a group for GB as the first part is listed as level 20 minimum, and most groups will not take random people with a lower level than that (as they mainly want to finish it fast for the associated quest).

At lower levels group-play in this game is quite limited these days. You have GB around level 20-25, GA and Fornost around level 35 and Annuminas around level 40, but you don't get any good rewards out of them to be worth the time if you're interested in levelling. Only with Moria around level 55 instances start to become more interesting again (for the armor sets).

Anyway, the best option for group play is to join a kinship that has sufficient active people at all levels.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Instance finder is useless because people don't use it.

My characters are always in there for group instances/skirmishes when I play, but I barely ever see anyone.
    The only conclusion I can take from that is that people don't use it no matter what level (I have characters from level 22 to 85).
    I sometimes get a group for a 2 or 3 men skirmish in lower levels but even that is really rare.

The glff channel is the way to go even if it is full of irrelevant "trash" (irrelevant for grouping that is) most of the time.
    You just need patience. Unfortunately it's rare the low level group that doesn't include a high level character helping around. It's really bad because it doesn't let new players properly learn their rule in a group.

A good kin (or at least a regular group) with players your level would be even better than glff, if you can find one...

Good luck out there and don't despair, you'll get group play with your cappy eventually.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001ee718/01008/signature.png]Lucanthanas[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Lucanthanas View Post
    Instance finder is useless because people don't use it.

My characters are always in there for group instances/skirmishes when I play, but I barely ever see anyone.
    The only conclusion I can take from that is that people don't use it no matter what level (I have characters from level 22 to 85).
    I sometimes get a group for a 2 or 3 men skirmish in lower levels but even that is really rare.
    There are several reasons why the instance finder isn't used:
    - only works for scalable content, so no GA, Angmar, Moria, Lothlorien, In their Absence or Isengard instances.
    - only works with level +-4 of your current level. So it will never bring people together if they are more than 8 levels apart.
    - doesn't work for raids (wouldn't be useful with the current restrictions anyway)
    - doesn't allow proper group setup, it only ensures that you have at least one tanking and/or healing class in the group. This often results in unusable group combinations for 6-man instances.
    - no information what is missing for you to be put into an instance. If I don't know that the system is just waiting for a healer while 20 DPS/Tank classes are in the queue I won't switch from my Champ to my Runekeeper, so everyone keeps waiting forever.
    - relies only on level and chosen role, so a dps-traited champ with outdated quest gear could be chosen for the tank role, or a tank-traited captain for the healing role. Could blame the people for choosing the wrong roles, but the system encourages it.

Basically the problem is that it is an instance finder for a given group, not a group finder for a given instance (which would be more useful).
    Last edited by Grimdi; Jan 15 2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    - only works for scalable content, so no GA, Angmar, Moria, Lothlorien, In their Absence or Isengard instances.
    I find this to be a GOOD thing. How I wish to be able to get an on-level group to run instances... It's barely ever possible...

- doesn't allow proper group setup, it only ensures that you have at least one tanking and/or healing class in the group. This often results in unusable group combinations for 6-man instances.
    Taking the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is the flaw in this? Do you need to ensure more than a tank-healer in the scalable 6-men instances?

- relies only on level and chosen role, so a dps-traited champ with outdated quest gear could be chosen for the tank role, or a tank-traited captain for the healing role. Could blame the people for choosing the wrong roles, but the system encourages it.
    While a system capable of identifying the role of a character based on traits+equipment would be nice, I don't think it's feasible. I usually enlist my RK as both healing and DPS because I can retrait as needed.
    In this regard, I think it's entirely player fault for not choosing its role properly.

There are several reasons why the instance finder isn't used:
    [...]
    With all the rest, I agree.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001ee718/01008/signature.png]Lucanthanas[/charsig]

no fellowships available at all. And I dont know what You mean by GLFF. I tried /glff but that dosent work
    Last edited by EyesInTheSky91; Jan 15 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Every zone has an LFF channel (looking for fellowship). Just type "/lff" to switch your chatline to that channel. Then you can ask for people looking for whatever instance you like. If you're looking for Barrows, this will most likely only work while you're in Bree. Other zones don't have many people looking for that instance.

There is also GLFF (global lff) which is a channel that lets you talk to everybody in every zone, which makes it easier to find a group. Type "/joinchannel glff" to get into it and then "/1 whatever" to chat on it. And "/leavechannel glff" when the inevitable spam becomes too much to bear. On some servers it is called globallff or unite so try those too. The official instance finder is basically worthless at finding a group, glff is your only hope. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Every zone has an LFF channel (looking for fellowship). Just type "/lff" to switch your chatline to that channel. Then you can ask for people looking for whatever instance you like. If you're looking for Barrows, this will most likely only work while you're in Bree. Other zones don't have many people looking for that instance.

There is also GLFF (global lff) which is a channel that lets you talk to everybody in every zone, which makes it easier to find a group. Type "/joinchannel glff" to get into it and then "/1 whatever" to chat on it. And "/leavechannel glff" when the inevitable spam becomes too much to bear. On some servers it is called globallff or unite so try those too. The official instance finder is basically worthless at finding a group, glff is your only hope. Good luck!
    This essentially, but keep in mind the /1 depends on how many user channels you are in already before you type in /joinchannel glff
    [CENTER][B]Ameldun: [Level 85 Hunter]
    Akkhal: [Rank 4 Warleader] Mozkhal: [Rank 4 reaver]
    And a bunch more... On gladden of course :)
    [/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lucanthanas View Post
    I find this to be a GOOD thing. How I wish to be able to get an on-level group to run instances... It's barely ever possible...
    I don't mind this as an option, but having a system that simply doesn't work for 50% of the content at any level seems pretty stupid to me.
    Taking the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is the flaw in this? Do you need to ensure more than a tank-healer in the scalable 6-men instances?
    Some instances kind of require certain classes, for example Roots of Fangorn (used to be in IF before Rohan) without Loremaster and other ranged DPS is pretty much futile. Or any instance with multi-boss fights requiring an off-tank. Or any encounter requiring fast interrupt skills or corruption removal. Also while IF ensures that you get a tank and a healer role (for a 6-man) it could also give you a group with four tank- and two healer-roles, and while any class can somewhat fill the DPS role, 4 guards/captains are just not a real replacement for 4 champs/hunters in that regard.
    I guess that's one reason why the IF doesn't work for raids in the first place.

While a system capable of identifying the role of a character based on traits+equipment would be nice, I don't think it's feasible. I usually enlist my RK as both healing and DPS because I can retrait as needed.
    In this regard, I think it's entirely player fault for not choosing its role properly.
    Example: I want to run a 3-man or 6-man on my Captain. He could be a tank or healer for the 3-mans, so I select those roles. However the system selects him as the only healer for a 6-man, together with 4 hunters and a champ/guard as tank. A top-geared healing specialized Captain can probably do that, but in most cases this is a fail group. Or it puts me in a 3-man together with two other Captains. Depending on the instance chosen this could be doable, but will likely be quite slow due to low DPS.
    And if you have to retrait after the IF puts you into the instance it kind of defeats one of the main benefit of no waiting time.

I desperately want to see some of the dungeon content at level so I decided to try the instance finder despite the dire warnings in this thread and elsewhere. I put my level 22 runekeeper on as both heals and damage, in hopes of getting a group for Great Barrow.

After about five minutes, I was delighted to see the box pop up telling me that my group was ready and that I would be healing! Great! Wooo! I accepted immediately ... and found myself ported into a skirmish instance. Alone. The instance finder put me into a solo skirmish as heals. Oh yeah. I didn't even mean to leave the skirmish option checked.

I have found a great kin that likes to run skirmish groups, but so far they shy away from the actual dungeons.

Guess I am going to have to keep trying to find like-minded lowbies/newbies.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000dceda/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by Funniez View Post
    I desperately want to see some of the dungeon content at level so I decided to try the instance finder despite the dire warnings in this thread and elsewhere. I put my level 22 runekeeper on as both heals and damage, in hopes of getting a group for Great Barrow.

After about five minutes, I was delighted to see the box pop up telling me that my group was ready and that I would be healing! Great! Wooo! I accepted immediately ... and found myself ported into a skirmish instance. Alone. The instance finder put me into a solo skirmish as heals. Oh yeah. I didn't even mean to leave the skirmish option checked.

I have found a great kin that likes to run skirmish groups, but so far they shy away from the actual dungeons.

Guess I am going to have to keep trying to find like-minded lowbies/newbies.
    Much easier to find stuff at higher levels, Garth Agarwen and Fornost not so much (in myexperience) but Annuminas yes - there is a pretty cool massive lore - spoiler quest that requires haudh Elendil. Dont know about Angmar heard Carn Dum is pretty fun but the scaled to 85 will just be run by 85 nowadays (guess). But more Moria which my first "real" grouping experience. lvl50 may seem the world away but it doesnt take all that long if you dont want it too
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    Dont know about Angmar heard Carn Dum is pretty fun but the scaled to 85 will just be run by 85 nowadays (guess).
    Angmar instances except for Hall of Nights aren't scaled (yet). I wouldn't exactly call Carn Dum fun, but it is impressive for sure (probably the biggest single instance in game).