We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Player Question: Halberd vs other two-handers

Hi guys. I just joined the game, and I'm making a Captain. Every video I watch on youtube shows Captain using a halberd. Is there an advantage to these weapon-types over others? I really want to make a character that mainly uses a two-hand sword. Thanks for any replies.

My cappy is 85 and I used to think the halberd was the way to go.And it is if you are a healer. He now is using a 2 handed sword and also a 2 handed hammer. Its all about the stats that come with the item. Swords usually come with a morale/vit boost while halberds usually a will/power boost. It depends on your style of play. Are you a healing cappy or solo dps/off tank.
    Use what is best for your role. I always have 2 different weapons on me all the time,so I can retrait and run.

My 63 Cappy has primarily used a 2 handed sword throughout his career. I mainly solo and it has served me well. As the previous poster indicated, on certain occasions another weapon might work better. If you want your captain to mainly use a 2- handed sword you'll be in good company, there are plenty of us out there. Good luck and enjoy your captain.

You'll see captains primarily using halberds because they're the only class that can, and they look sweet. Additionally, while you have to trait a racial trait to gain +2% damage for your swords, you gain +2% damage with halberds as a passive skill.

As far as passives on the blades go, sword would be the better choice. Sword gives you +parry, whereas the halberd gives +threat.

Really, none of that is going to matter too much in the long run. Just pick whatever one you wanna use at the moment and you'll do just fine.
    Last edited by TinDragon; Jan 14 2013 at 04:09 PM.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

It does not really matter which weapon type you pick, what matters are the stats on it.

When you get to make Legendary Items, you can basically just pick whatever you think looks the best, while some prefer swords over halberds and vice versa the difference is so low.

What you might want to look out for are the Halberds of the Watch on the Auction House and in Lootboxes. They're very nice for lvl 20-45 Captains:

http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?lotritem=20249
    http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?lotritem=20243
    http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?lotritem=19957

Quote Originally Posted by Minoman View Post
    My cappy is 85 and I used to think the halberd was the way to go.
    Eh, how do you figure? The Halberd passive increases your perceived threat, which a healer really doesn't want to do most of the time...

Moreover, the best results for healing come from having a one-handed weapon and a shield. One- and two-handed legendary weapons really only differ in their DPS, while the shield gives additional stats, usually including either Might or Tactical Mastery, both of which increase your Outgoing Healing Rating. Plus, we got that spiffy new Malledhrim shield that's explicitly designed for healing, with it's extra Words of Courage pulses.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    Eh, how do you figure? The Halberd passive increases your perceived threat, which a healer really doesn't want to do most of the time...

Moreover, the best results for healing come from having a one-handed weapon and a shield. One- and two-handed legendary weapons really only differ in their DPS, while the shield gives additional stats, usually including either Might or Tactical Mastery, both of which increase your Outgoing Healing Rating. Plus, we got that spiffy new Malledhrim shield that's explicitly designed for healing, with it's extra Words of Courage pulses.
    Meh, if a captain is pulling aggro the extra threat from the halberd is not the biggest current problem. I don't know how far down the threat table a captain is usually found, but I would guess it is at or near the bottom.

The stats on the shield are not even the biggest advantage of a 1h weapon for healing, it's the lower attack duration. With a faster attack speed, you can fire off more skills, which often means you can throw out more Words of Courage and squeeze in your Battle-shout chain more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Traur View Post
    Meh, if a captain is pulling aggro the extra threat from the halberd is not the biggest current problem. I don't know how far down the threat table a captain is usually found, but I would guess it is at or near the bottom.
    Nobody said the additional threat is a problem, but that doesn't make it any less useless. On the other hand, +2% parry chance is always useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pan View Post
    Nobody said the additional threat is a problem, but that doesn't make it any less useless. On the other hand, +2% parry chance is always useful.
    Right. Either you're pulling aggro while playing the healer, which you want to avoid, or you're really so low on the aggro table that the +2% doesn't matter, in which case your halberd passive is totally wasted.

Now, picking weapon passive is not really the most important or dramatic choice in making an optimised Captain. It's not even top 20, if we're being honest. But, I'm not the one who claimed that a halberd was the default option for Captain healers...
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Right. Either you're pulling aggro while playing the healer, which you want to avoid, or you're really so low on the aggro table that the +2% doesn't matter, in which case your halberd passive is totally wasted.

Now, picking weapon passive is not really the most important or dramatic choice in making an optimised Captain. It's not even top 20, if we're being honest. But, I'm not the one who claimed that a halberd was the default option for Captain healers...
    Sword seems like the best option, parry and bonus damage are both useful. I would consider Halberd for tanking small fellow instances, but other than that sword seems like the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pan View Post
    Well, it's not _that_ useful when no-one is swinging at you.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

use what you like.

halberds are great because they showcase our lesser known talent: ambidexterity (ambidexterousness?)!

so, i was rewatching Amadeus the other day an noticed two related things:

1. its Saul Z produced/owned, like LOTR

2. the highest concentration of halberds in ANY movie ive ever seen. theres a halberd in nearly every scene in that movie.

"I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

2-handed clubs FTW!

No, seriously, there is nothing more awesome than watching your character take a baseball bat/table leg to your enemy and beating them down with it. No +2% damage from passive or racial trait, of course, but those bonuses only work on auto-attacks anyway, not skill damage. Also, the club passive is a debuff you put on the mob you're fighting which decreases their attack duration, which can be handy.

But none of that last bit really matters. The only thing that counts is how cool your character looks. And nothing is cooler than a baseball bat to the side! (Some of them look like cricket bats, too, which are also awesome. And the ones that look like ornately carved table legs are just funny to use!)
    Narlinde ~ Minstrel, Singer of the Lament of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    No, seriously, there is nothing more awesome than watching your character take a baseball bat/table leg to your enemy and beating them down with it. No +2% damage from passive or racial trait, of course, but those bonuses only work on auto-attacks anyway, not skill damage. Also, the club passive is a debuff you put on the mob you're fighting which decreases their attack duration, which can be handy.

But none of that last bit really matters. The only thing that counts is how cool your character looks. And nothing is cooler than a baseball bat to the side! (Some of them look like cricket bats, too, which are also awesome. And the ones that look like ornately carved table legs are just funny to use!)
    Only if your Captain is named "Aldan Caponar".