We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Ha ha ha, maybe that's better than the answer I had in mind!
    I thought of Beren but one hand didn't work nor did erchamian(sp?) thought what about others in his line, Hmm, Barahir his father but couldn't figure the extra letters then it hit me like a thunderbolt; Beren, son of Barahir.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I thought of Beren but one hand didn't work nor did erchamian(sp?) thought what about others in his line, Hmm, Barahir his father but couldn't figure the extra letters then it hit me like a thunderbolt; Beren, son of Barahir.
    Indians for ogre sleeves (1st age)
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Indians for ogre sleeves (1st age)
    Gave the first age hint to begin w/ but apparently that was not enough.
    2nd hint; people

Gave the first age hint to begin w/ but apparently that was not enough.
    2nd hint; people
    Riddle (anagram); Indians for ogre sleeves

3rd hint, to build on the 2nd (people); ...of a region.

Riddle (anagram); Indians for ogre sleeves

3rd hint, to build on the 2nd (people); ...of a region.
    Green-elves of Ossiriand?

In trying to find a solution for this, because of your hints I drew out ‘elves of’ because dwarves and men didn’t work, then after some bumbling and fumbling around realized ‘Ossiriand’ used up quite a few of the letters remaining. Then I was a bit stumped as to why ‘green’ seemed to be left over: I had never heard of Green Ossiriand before… /facepalm LOL. So I will wait for your reply to see if I am correct because the way things are going today I don’t really trust myself!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Green-elves of Ossiriand?

In trying to find a solution for this, because of your hints I drew out ‘elves of’ because dwarves and men didn’t work, then after some bumbling and fumbling around realized ‘Ossiriand’ used up quite a few of the letters remaining. Then I was a bit stumped as to why ‘green’ seemed to be left over: I had never heard of Green Ossiriand before… /facepalm LOL. So I will wait for your reply to see if I am correct because the way things are going today I don’t really trust myself!
    Well it stands to reason that a land of seven rivers would be green, but no, I assume you had heard of green elves. You're up. Although, as little interest as this thread generates, it may be time to just let it die the death and give it a dignified funeral.

Well it stands to reason that a land of seven rivers would be green, but no, I assume you had heard of green elves. You're up. Although, as little interest as this thread generates, it may be time to just let it die the death and give it a dignified funeral.
    This thread has gone through dry spells in the past and then picked up a bit later. I'll post another and we'll see if the interest increases again.

Anagram: Hexagonal Riches Crest
    Hint: 1st Age
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

This thread has gone through dry spells in the past and then picked up a bit later. I'll post another and we'll see if the interest increases again.

Anagram: Hexagonal Riches Crest
    Hint: 1st Age
    I was waiting to see if someone else would take a shot at this, but I'm thinkin' that isn't happening so; Crossing the Helcaraxe. Not a lot of exes used in Elvish (as in English, I suppose) and the clue first age just made it that much easier.

I was waiting to see if someone else would take a shot at this, but I'm thinkin' that isn't happening so; Crossing the Helcaraxe. Not a lot of exes used in Elvish (as in English, I suppose) and the clue first age just made it that much easier.
    for what it's worth, I saw this, but I didn't want to get stuck with having to come up with my own anagram... I have enough trouble coming up with one, two or three word trivia bits that aren't hopeless obscure and yet so easy that someone guesses it on their first go.

Yes, I suppose the 'x' was a bit of a giveaway with that one.

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on this particular thread right now, I am OK with retiring it as you suggest, unless someone else doth protest. In the future, if someone wants to dreg the thread up and start again, we can give it another go at that time.

I figure it doesn't hurt to post more in this thread, even if no one ever looks at them. Here's some additional puzzles:

[Ignore punctuation]
    1. Irk Atlantean dogfish
    2. In bath for dirty Elvish we knew.
    3. Sean's final call: Don't leave me!

They're all names of things (items, places, people, events, concepts, etc.). They are all proper names or at least *based* on proper names. (For example, I might use "light of the Evenstar" or "Elrond Half-Elven of Imladris" even though they were possibly never referred to by those exact phrases in the books. But many of the puzzles here have made the same type of alterations.) I don't think any of them are obscure. And I believe, but am not certain, that they all appear in LotR (again, not necessarily in the exact form), rather than only in, for instance, _Silmarillion_ or _Unfinished Tales_ (which I have read very little).

The following are just some silly comments about the anagrams. They are not hints.
    1. Well, "Prince Namor" does sound kinda like it might be the name of a Tolkien character.
    2. That might be the "wash your mouth out with soap" treatment you would get in Rivendell for learning Black Speech.
    3. I suppose that could be a text message from either Astin or Bean. . .Both Seans begged Frodo not to go away when they last saw him.

Thank you for posting these. I will see what I can do with them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

1. Irk Atlantean dogfish

[Arvedui,] Last King of Arthedain

the other ones are tough..

Quote Originally Posted by cfsdf8888 View Post
    1. Irk Atlantean dogfish

[Arvedui,] Last King of Arthedain
    Yippers!

What server do you play on? (And what's your character's name?)
    There is a *slight* chance that I might have a toon there who can throw a reward your way.
    (Come to think of it, only my characters on Windfola and Imladris [and, to a much lesser extent, Landroval] have much of anything in terms of skill or wealth. So, if you're in either of those worlds, you've won yourself a cloak.)

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    2. In bath for dirty Elvish we knew.
    Banks of the Withywindle River
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Banks of the Withywindle River
    Nailed it!

Sean's final call: Don't leave me!

Last Alliance of Elves and Men

Thanks for posting these. They were a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    What server do you play on? (And what's your character's name?)
    Withywindle, character name is Hianna (dont worry, I have enough material wealth in lotro)

I'll give you a few to carry on (punctuation not part of the anagram ofc):
    1. He ran from Holms, Ham and Gem.
    2. Log lacking right, zone and muff, or what?
    3. He be blood with shell rest.

edit: if you happen to have a char on Withy, post it with your solution, so I can throw you some gold
    Last edited by cfsdf8888; Jun 02 2014 at 05:55 AM.

Can't believe you were able to post a new set so quickly. Thank you for the ongoing contributions to our entertainment.

1. He ran from Holms, Ham and Gem.
    Helm Hammerhand son of Gram

All the H's and M's were a tipoff. Especially three H's without much in the way of S's, T's or W's. It made words beginning with an H the best starting place.

All the H's and M's were a tipoff. Especially three H's without much in the way of S's, T's or W's. It made words beginning with an H the best starting place.
    Just re-read this and realized that it comes off as if I am critical of the riddle. I'm sorry if that is what I was conveying. That could not be farther from my thoughts or intentions. I greatly appreciate the excellent riddles offered up by cfsdf8888 (as well as the broader discussion group in this forum).

Correct!
    No worries about any comments concerning my anagrams

3. He be blood with shell rest.
    The new line added to Treebeard's list of the speaking peoples:

Hobbits the Hole Dwellers

The new line added to Treebeard's list of the speaking peoples:

Hobbits the Hole Dwellers
    correct, well done

2. Log lacking right, zone and muff, or what?
    I have to say it is a headscratcher for me that I haven't solved this one yet. I had expected it to be the easiest, as there are approximately four words in the legendarium that use a "z."

I will muddle on. No hints needed...yet.

What I find particularly puzzling is that the z words that come to mind can't even be constructed with the letters from anagram:

Ezellohar

Tumunzahar

Kheled-zaram

Variations on Khazad

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast