We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    You are correct. Looking forward to the next riddle you present to us.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

New anagram: UNROOFED MOON SEEM

Of Orome? Hmm, any advice?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Sure Dweorg. It is a character, and 'of' does appear as a word in the answer.

You should give us one that we actually have a *chance* of getting. It kinda spoils the game if you pull out really obscure characters like that. Next time, go with something easier, like "Eomer, Son of Eomund". Oh, wait. . .never mind.
    Last edited by Halgoreth; May 09 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: mispeld wurd

Detroit arab falcons

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    You should give us one that we actually have a *chance* of getting. It kinda spoils the game if you pull out really obscure characters like that. Next time, go with something easier, like "Eomer, Son of Eomund". Oh, wait. . .never mind.
    LOL, yes, well done Halgoreth. I would have kept it really easy and just made an anagram out of EOMER, but wasn't sure that MEROE was an actual word, so I had to add in the 'son of Eomund' bit. I will try to stay a little more mainstream next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    LOL, yes, well done Halgoreth. I would have kept it really easy and just made an anagram out of EOMER, but wasn't sure that MEROE was an actual word,
    ROMEO?

so I had to add in the 'son of Eomund' bit.
    Romeo, UFO Sun Demon?

By the way, mine could have been:
    AFL/CIO to Ban Traders

I guess what I shoulda done was:
    As a Detroit-born calf
    ('cuz I was born and raised in the Motor City).

Detroit Arab falcons
    AFL/CIO to Ban Traders
    Detroit born as a calf
    (take your pick)
    Hints:
    1. The answer is not a character

(Just in case you're looking for a hidden clue in that hint, there isn't one. I'm not feeling that clever at the moment. I simply mean that pouring over lists of character names won't get you anywhere with this one.)

Hint #2:
    Three words, with an "of".

Unhappy

I've got "Battle of Acorrdians", with accordions badly misspelled...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I've got "Battle of Acorrdians", with accordions badly misspelled...
    You're on the right track.

I may have goofed (not on the spelling but on the research). Being too lazy to find my books, I used the internet (which is never wrong about Tolkien, right?) when choosing the phrase. It appeared to be JRRT canon, so I used it. (That is, the page cited a reliable reference work, and the site is usually pretty good about indicating when they present extrapolative/revisionist material from PJ, LotRO, "Abbott & Costello Meet the Nazgul", etc.)

Now I have gone back to investigate the references and found some conflicting information.

My original source for the entire phrase associates the subject with the newly-crowned King Elessar and cites _The Atlas of Middle Earth_ (which is a good, estate-approved secondary source, but not absolutely canonical from the Tolkien purist's point of view). Another source on the Web cites an LotR appendix (which, of course, *is* canon), but associates the subject with Aragorn *prior* to his coronation, so we have conflicting issues of timeline. More importantly, this second source does not specifically use the entire phrase, so I lack confirmation that Tolkien actually ever used it as a whole. (Again, I'm still too lazy to go find the book.)

In any case, it was only the first part of the term that had questionable provenance. Yet, remarkably, you guessed that part correctly. The remainder of the phrase, though, does appear in Tolkien, so let's focus on just that part and have done with this.

Rephrase:
    (Battle of) ACORN RAIDS

My original source for the entire phrase associates the subject with the newly-crowned King Elessar and cites _The Atlas of Middle Earth_ (which is a good, estate-approved secondary source, but not absolutely canonical from the Tolkien purist's point of view). Another source on the Web cites an LotR appendix (which, of course, *is* canon), but associates the subject with Aragorn *prior* to his coronation, so we have conflicting issues of timeline.
    For accuracy's sake, I should point out that I misread the pages. The timelines do correspond. It looks like the good guys were defeated during the battle in question. But there is still some conflicting information about whether Aragorn then responded before or after coronation.

I hate when my post kills an active thread.

Here's a summary of the current puzzle:

ACORN RAIDS
    (I shortened it from "DETROIT ARAB FALCONS" after Wilros correctly guessed the "Battle of" part. But, after further investigation suggested that that part might not actually appear in JRRT's writings, I removed it from the puzzle.)
    It is a not a character.
    There was a battle.
    Appears in LotR appendix. (allegedly, that is...I still have not confirmed it myself. Sorry.)

Next hint:
    It is, indeed, a proper name.

Took a while but I think I have solved your clever anagram. Cair Andros?

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Took a while but I think I have solved your clever anagram. Cair Andros?
    Correct!

New riddle: a gnoll band forces
    Last edited by Dweorg; May 21 2013 at 08:43 AM.

New riddle: a gnoll band forces
    "gnoll"? Is that even a thing?

You could have gone with "Gandalf's noble orc"

"gnoll"? Is that even a thing?

You could have gone with "Gandalf's noble orc"
    Oh, yes. Gnoll is a fictional creature from Dungeons & Dragons; later appeared in other fantasy series. Often described as a hyena-like humanoid. Nonetheless, I can change that.

fob clonal gardens

Haven't come up with anything that fits yet. A hint perhaps?

A hint: equivalent to House of Bëor.

A hint: equivalent to House of Bëor.
    I clarify. The answer is the first family of certain race. The answer consists of three words.

Clan of Longbeards?

Yes! Your turn.

OK, new anagram: Unfrowning Doormen.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast