We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thorongil and Cirdan Questions

I read the Trilogy and The Hobbit at least once a year but I've realized that it's been awhile since I had last read the Appendices. So while reading them I have a couple of questions that I thought I'd ask the Tolkien experts here.

1. Thorongil is Aragorn in disguise, right? I'm pretty certain he was but I don't recall anything coming right out and stating it.

2. A direct quote from the book, "As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars." Isn't Cirdan an elf? Then where did the beard come from and why was he grey and old? Did I miss something?
    Iaralor | Riddorra | Cirnordar | Thransi | Fanion | Tarro | Otleif | Mallelleth

You can read about Cirdan here - lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Cirdan
    . Montras (Main - Hunter 95); Goswen (Minstrel - 95): Monntras (Captain - 21) ; Amtu (Black Arrow R8) Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

Also, just while we are on it, how do you pronounce Cirdan?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

yes to the first and as for Cirdan he may well be one of the first Elves to awaken. He has a beard because Tolkien could not decide if elves could grow beards in their later years. He would be in his 4th stage of life by the beginning of the 4th age. I don't have the books on hand but in the HoME some of the 'Nomes' Noldor were old and had beards.

Thorongil was the alias Aragorn used in both Gondor and Rohan during his early travels. This was when he was in his 20s or thereabouts if I recall correctly. I have only found a brief mention of this name in the appendices myself. I would like to read a more detailed account of Aragorn's younger adventures, but so far I haven't been able to find anything. I'm not sure if the professor ever expanded much on the subject.
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jan 06 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Indeed, Cirdan was one of the first to awaken at Cuivienen and was a kinsman of Elwë Singollo, making him one of the oldest living things on Middle-Earth. In addition, his name is pronounced Keer-dan, with an accent on the first syllable. His name means "ship-maker" and is a Sindarin word. His original name, Nowë, is most likely archaic Telerin which means "thinker", "maker", or "imaginer".

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Ah thank you
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thorongil/Aragorn served Thengel, Theoden's father in Rohan and Ecthelion II, Denethor's father in Gondor for about 20 years, from his late twenties until his late forties. One of the reasons he left was that he was beginning to become a little too close to the ruling steward, to the point where some say Ecthelion favoured Thorongil over his only son Denethor.

Ooops, my answer was already given above.
    Last edited by Ironcrown; Jan 07 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cala_Romello View Post
    his name is pronounced Keer-dan
    A small point but the second syllable, dan, is pronounced don. The a has a short o sound.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-