We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Just finished the epic, and there are a couple of observations which fit in here:

SPOILERS OF COURSE!

1) Radanir's little speech is beautiful. My favourite lines are his reason for choosing the Forsaken Inn and 'There is a lake on the way to Forochel, and I promised a friend I would see it for myself'. That last line gave me shivers - 'twas beautifully subtle, so thank you MoL.

2) Wandering around the camp I found 8 members of the Grey Company (including Radanir who speaks), but the others aren't labelled. One has the grey beard only shared by Golodir and Dagoras, so I'm assuming its the latter, and Lothrandir is mentioned by Radanir as having survived, so he's probably another. I don't know if Faeron, who pops up in Mordor, is also counted as one of the 8. Now, it may be that not all of the remaining members of the Grey Company are represented of the Field of Cormallen, but it would be good to find out in a future update what their fate was (although I can wait until we head back westwards if it fits best with the story!) I'll also report back on this thread if I find any other members of the Company within Mordor.

3) As for other survivors in the groups discussed above: while not named, I spotted Ingbert and Thrymm's very recognisable character models, as well as Duihir, Angbohr, Ormatar (I think - Captain of the Citadel Guard) and Beregond at the Field of Cormallen. If you spotted any others, please post here!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

First off, I'm so happy I found this thread, I'm glad I'm not alone in caring for the fate of the Grey Company! Thank you so much for keeping it updated Tirian and to everyone else who's contributed so far! I've been lurking in it for quite a while as I don't frequent the forums much.

Second: I am glad I will actually get to buy Radanir his three drinks! Thank you MoL, I was worried after talking to him in Aragorn's camp on the edge of the wastes that he wasn't going to make it, especially as I didn't see him after the Battle of the Black Gate.

Third...I will finally contribute! SPOILER WARNING for the new Epic story...

I can confirm Brungos survives and is in Mordor. He turns up once the new Epic reaches Dor Amarth. I haven't seen any others yet but if I do I will let you know.
    Nellum - Champion || Doctordorf - Guardian || Simaru - Hunter
    Flour - Minstrel || Pheawyn - Runekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by hoppystar View Post
    First off, I'm so happy I found this thread, I'm glad I'm not alone in caring for the fate of the Grey Company! Thank you so much for keeping it updated Tirian and to everyone else who's contributed so far! I've been lurking in it for quite a while as I don't frequent the forums much.

Second: I am glad I will actually get to buy Radanir his three drinks! Thank you MoL, I was worried after talking to him in Aragorn's camp on the edge of the wastes that he wasn't going to make it, especially as I didn't see him after the Battle of the Black Gate.

Third...I will finally contribute! SPOILER WARNING for the new Epic story...

I can confirm Brungos survives and is in Mordor. He turns up once the new Epic reaches Dor Amarth. I haven't seen any others yet but if I do I will let you know.
    It's good to see another interested in the Grey Company!

Ah, thank you for the update on Brungos - I'd meant to pop back here myself and update that but hadn't yet had the chance. We've therefore got four confirmed survivors (Radanir, Lothrandir, Brungos and Faeron), although I assume there's more given the numbers at the Field of Cormallen.

Radanir was, I think, the best ranger to represent the company on the Field of Cormallen (it's a truly beautiful speech that MoL wrote for him). However, with the drink (or three) that we are yet to have with him and the rest of the company, I was a little confused when I heard that one of the Black Book class quests involved talking with Lothrandir in Suri Kyla - he'd already returned north!

Now, the way I see it this presents 3 issues:

1) Radanir was going to travel with Lothrandir - so does that mean Radanir has arrived at Annuminas?
    2) Lothrandir seems to have had a remarkably easy journey back northwards, given the stuff that's meant to be going down in Bree-land/the Shire in our absence - wouldn't he have checked in with Saeradan enroute?
    3) Where on earth are we with the timelines? The journey back to Suri Kyla from the Black Gate is not a quick one!
    4) I'd always imagined that our return north would be in the company of any surviving rangers that did not decide to help Aragorn in Gondor - but if some have returned home already, maybe that isn't to be? (I'm still holding out for meeting Saeradan and Amarion around Tharbad leading a resistance against Sharkey's men to the north!)

Another Grey Company related thought is that it would be good to see them woven into the Gondor Allegiance story a little more - but if that system is added to in the future (which I feel it could be), then I think there's definitely scope to do this.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    It's good to see another interested in the Grey Company!

Ah, thank you for the update on Brungos - I'd meant to pop back here myself and update that but hadn't yet had the chance. We've therefore got four confirmed survivors (Radanir, Lothrandir, Brungos and Faeron), although I assume there's more given the numbers at the Field of Cormallen.

Radanir was, I think, the best ranger to represent the company on the Field of Cormallen (it's a truly beautiful speech that MoL wrote for him). However, with the drink (or three) that we are yet to have with him and the rest of the company, I was a little confused when I heard that one of the Black Book class quests involved talking with Lothrandir in Suri Kyla - he'd already returned north!

Now, the way I see it this presents 3 issues:

1) Radanir was going to travel with Lothrandir - so does that mean Radanir has arrived at Annuminas?
    2) Lothrandir seems to have had a remarkably easy journey back northwards, given the stuff that's meant to be going down in Bree-land/the Shire in our absence - wouldn't he have checked in with Saeradan enroute?
    3) Where on earth are we with the timelines? The journey back to Suri Kyla from the Black Gate is not a quick one!
    4) I'd always imagined that our return north would be in the company of any surviving rangers that did not decide to help Aragorn in Gondor - but if some have returned home already, maybe that isn't to be? (I'm still holding out for meeting Saeradan and Amarion around Tharbad leading a resistance against Sharkey's men to the north!)

Another Grey Company related thought is that it would be good to see them woven into the Gondor Allegiance story a little more - but if that system is added to in the future (which I feel it could be), then I think there's definitely scope to do this.

Having completed the Black Book quests recently I never encountered one that involved talking to Lothrandir back in Forochel (there aren't any other rangers involved in the Black Book other than Brungos). Unless the Black Book hasn't finished where I thought it has and I'm missing a quest or it is one of the other Mordor quests that I haven't finished yet I don't think they've set off just yet. If they have left without telling me I'll be extremely hurt! They can't just promise to meet up for a drink (that has been pre-arranged for months) and then ditch me! That'd be almost as bad as the end of the Rise of Isengard when Halbarad turned around and told me I wasn't travelling with them anymore (I was SUPER smug when I found Aragorn before them). Joking aside I hope I am right and they haven't set off yet. I enjoyed travelling with the Grey Company through Enedwaith and Dunland and am with you in hoping that we get to travel back North with them too. It also doesn't make sense for Radanir to mention that they plan to stick around to help Aragorn for a while before travelling North with Lothrandir and then either: a) Lothrandir and Radanir leave anyway or b) Lothrandir leaves without Radanir and travels by himself. Radanir also mentions visiting Annuminas like you mentioned, which made me wonder if we were going to encounter Gwindeth again and bring her the news of Calenglad's passing.

I haven't finished the Gondor Allegience story yet but I was hoping they'd be involved in it some how too. It would make sense as Radanir says that some of them are sticking around to help Aragorn before heading back north.

Side note and slightly Spoilerly...

Am I the only one who felt a little bad for Dulgabeth at the end of the Black Book? I know he's evil but that rejection from Lhaereth was HARSH!
    Last edited by hoppystar; Aug 24 2017 at 07:49 PM.

Heavy spoilers below!

Quote Originally Posted by hoppystar View Post
    Having completed the Black Book quests recently I never encountered one that involved talking to Lothrandir back in Forochel (there aren't any other rangers involved in the Black Book other than Brungos). Unless the Black Book hasn't finished where I thought it has and I'm missing a quest or it is one of the other Mordor quests that I haven't finished yet I don't think they've set off just yet. If they have left without telling me I'll be extremely hurt! They can't just promise to meet up for a drink (that has been pre-arranged for months) and then ditch me! That'd be almost as bad as the end of the Rise of Isengard when Halbarad turned around and told me I wasn't travelling with them anymore (I was SUPER smug when I found Aragorn before them). Joking aside I hope I am right and they haven't set off yet. I enjoyed travelling with the Grey Company through Enedwaith and Dunland and am with you in hoping that we get to travel back North with them too. It also doesn't make sense for Radanir to mention that they plan to stick around to help Aragorn for a while before travelling North with Lothrandir and then either: a) Lothrandir and Radanir leave anyway or b) Lothrandir leaves without Radanir and travels by himself. Radanir also mentions visiting Annuminas like you mentioned, which made me wonder if we were going to encounter Gwindeth again and bring her the news of Calenglad's passing.

I haven't finished the Gondor Allegience story yet but I was hoping they'd be involved in it some how too. It would make sense as Radanir says that some of them are sticking around to help Aragorn before heading back north.

Side note and slightly Spoilerly...

Am I the only one who felt a little bad for Dulgabeth at the end of the Black Book? I know he's evil but that rejection from Lhaereth was HARSH!
    You know that bit of the Black Book where you get sent back to Eriador with an item that was hidden in Durthang, which you then purify - it becomes the Light of Elendil pocket item - that quest line is different for each class. My LM, for instance, went to see the earth kin, while minstrels return to Suri Kyla and apparently speak to Lothrandir there.

While I am loving the Gondor allegiance quests (Dhurto! and the little trip up the mountain), there's been no mention of the Grey Company in it this far

On the Black Book, I absolutely loved that resolution (although I do agree on Dulgabeth!) - I also loved the idea that Lhaereth is going to be taking the armies of reunited Mordor against Gothmog - are we going to have to team up with Gothmog, or is it going to be a race for the kill? Maybe Earnur can finally be redeemed? I'm excited for all the possibilities!

Heavy spoilers below!

You know that bit of the Black Book where you get sent back to Eriador with an item that was hidden in Durthang, which you then purify - it becomes the Light of Elendil pocket item - that quest line is different for each class. My LM, for instance, went to see the earth kin, while minstrels return to Suri Kyla and apparently speak to Lothrandir there.

While I am loving the Gondor allegiance quests (Dhurto! and the little trip up the mountain), there's been no mention of the Grey Company in it this far

On the Black Book, I absolutely loved that resolution (although I do agree on Dulgabeth!) - I also loved the idea that Lhaereth is going to be taking the armies of reunited Mordor against Gothmog - are we going to have to team up with Gothmog, or is it going to be a race for the kill? Maybe Earnur can finally be redeemed? I'm excited for all the possibilities!
    Oh darn, really? This is why my husband should have bought Mordor instead of waiting until December ):<! I'd have already known this by now! But really, thank you for telling me, I had no idea it was different for each class. I assumed it was the same for everyone. For the record I went to Ost Guruth to speak to the Eglain as a Champion.
    Seriously then, how the heck did Lothrandir get back to Forochel so fast? Did he discover the fast-travel horses? Did he catch a ride on an eagle back home? Did he learn Mordrambor's magic firey teleportation skill? I didn't think we were in Mordor THAT long at that point in the story for him to have travelled on foot or even horse...unless he stole Shadowfax from Gandalf. THe conspiracy deepens...
    I really would like to know where on the time line we are though as I'm a little confused now. How long after the War of the Ring is the Black Book set?

The ending really did leave open a lot of possibilities. I had never even thought about Earnur redeeming himself (I was too busy admiring his ability of avoiding death, especially after Golodir died)! That would be a very interesting twist, aiding the main antagonist of Volume 1. I'm really excited to see where it goes from here! I'm also hoping for quests with the goblin Viznak. I really loved his quests and his interactions with Faeron and Rhadrog, they made me laugh.

Playing through various quests containing the Dunedain again (its rather unavoidable in most parts of the game!), I realised that we'd never found out which members of the Grey Company survived the Battle of the Black Gate. We know who survived up until Aragorn's final stand, but that still leaves the fates of some hanging. It would be great if MoL could confirm at some point which members of the Company survived, particularly as the story seems to have veered away from them for the forseeable future - unless this is tied into Aragorn and Arwen's wedding, which I assume is some way down the timeline?

Thinking about future zones and the involvement of the Grey Company got me thinking about where I thought they'd all end up - Radanir says in his speech on the Field of Cormallen that some would stay in Gondor with Aragorn, while others would return north to Arnor. The timings of this still worry me - some have already arrived in the north (see below), while others (like Saeradan and Amarion, for example) were headed north, last we heard, but have not sprung up again yet. This may be rather fan-fiction esque of me, but it made me start to speculate about where the surviving (we assume) members of the Grey Company will end up after the War of the Ring.

Lets start with those we know about already:

- Lothrandir - has returned to Suri Kyla, probably much in need of the hot baths that can be created by Suri Kyla's geysers after his ordeal in Isengard!
    - Techeron - has returned to Eriador, defending Annuminas (apparently from Angmar, although not quite sure why Angmar is still active given Mordirith/Gothmog's current problems!)
    - Brungos - has ventured into Mordor, found in Dor Amarth
    - Faeron - has ventured into Mordor, found in Agarnaith, combating Lhaereth

The rest, however, are unaccounted for. There are some whose onwards paths I might like to suggest:

- Daervunn - Halbarad's right hand man, and seemingly de-facto leader of the Grey Company after Halbarad's death. Either should act as Aragorn's regent in the Arnor, or as his right-hand man in Gondor.
    - Dagoras - another seemingly senior Ranger, appeared to be a key part of the Grey Company and in Esteldin - could possibly end up doing whatever Daervunn doesn't.
    - Langlas - If he survived, he has a pilgrimage to make with Celairant's sword, to return it to Penglir in Duillond. It would be a fitting end to his friendship with the young Ranger!
    - Amlan - I can image that he'd be part of a group headed north - he would want to find out what happened to Saeradan.
    - Culang - a seeker of treasure and secrets, I feel he may end his days in the archives of Gondor.
    - Idhrien - I'm sure the Houses of Healing could do with a skilled Ranger!
    - Orthonn - according to the wiki, his name means High Born, so it would be interesting to see this explored a bit more. An emissary to foreign lands, perhaps?

There was also one group in particular that I wanted to mention, and that was in relation to when we head for Minas Morgul. Our business with Gothmog is obviously unfinished and the Grey Company have been clearly woven into his story from the start. Therefore, whatever force Aragorn sends to Minas Morgul should definitely include several members of the Grey Company - Mincham and Nethraw as two older, experienced Rangers, would be my suggestions (possibly with some fresh blood like Angwedh, Mithrendan and Helchon) but most importantly, Corunir. Through Golodir, Corunir's arc has been tied to Mordirith/Gothmog for a long time, and I think it would be very cool to see this resolved. If Gothmog does end up on redemption arc, given the threat of Lhaereth and the end of Sauron and the Witch King, then I think it would be really interesting to see how that story played out with Corunir's involvement. The Grey Company's main goal may be finished, but I think there's still plenty of emotion to be extracted from these characters.

As long as its not Radanir. He and I still have some business to attend to at the Forsaken Inn, before a long, slow walk up to Lake Evendim.

Playing through various quests containing the Dunedain again (its rather unavoidable in most parts of the game!), I realised that we'd never found out which members of the Grey Company survived the Battle of the Black Gate. We know who survived up until Aragorn's final stand, but that still leaves the fates of some hanging. It would be great if MoL could confirm at some point which members of the Company survived, particularly as the story seems to have veered away from them for the forseeable future - unless this is tied into Aragorn and Arwen's wedding, which I assume is some way down the timeline?

Thinking about future zones and the involvement of the Grey Company got me thinking about where I thought they'd all end up - Radanir says in his speech on the Field of Cormallen that some would stay in Gondor with Aragorn, while others would return north to Arnor. The timings of this still worry me - some have already arrived in the north (see below), while others (like Saeradan and Amarion, for example) were headed north, last we heard, but have not sprung up again yet. This may be rather fan-fiction esque of me, but it made me start to speculate about where the surviving (we assume) members of the Grey Company will end up after the War of the Ring.

- Lothrandir - has returned to Suri Kyla, probably much in need of the hot baths that can be created by Suri Kyla's geysers after his ordeal in Isengard!
    - Techeron - has returned to Eriador, defending Annuminas (apparently from Angmar, although not quite sure why Angmar is still active given Mordirith/Gothmog's current problems!)

The rest, however, are unaccounted for. There are some whose onwards paths I might like to suggest:

- Daervunn - Halbarad's right hand man, and seemingly de-facto leader of the Grey Company after Halbarad's death. Either should act as Aragorn's regent in the Arnor, or as his right-hand man in Gondor.
    - Dagoras - another seemingly senior Ranger, appeared to be a key part of the Grey Company and in Esteldin - could possibly end up doing whatever Daervunn doesn't.
    - Langlas - If he survived, he has a pilgrimage to make with Celairant's sword, to return it to Penglir in Duillond. It would be a fitting end to his friendship with the young Ranger!
    - Amlan - I can image that he'd be part of a group headed north - he would want to find out what happened to Saeradan.
    - Culang - a seeker of treasure and secrets, I feel he may end his days in the archives of Gondor.
    - Orthonn - according to the wiki, his name means High Born, so it would be interesting to see this explored a bit more. An emissary to foreign lands, perhaps?

There was also one group in particular that I wanted to mention, and that was in relation to when we head for Minas Morgul. Our business with Gothmog is obviously unfinished and the Grey Company have been clearly woven into his story from the start. Therefore, whatever force Aragorn sends to Minas Morgul should definitely include several members of the Grey Company - Mincham and Nethraw as two older, experienced Rangers, would be my suggestions (possibly with some fresh blood like Angwedh, Mithrendan and Helchon) but most importantly, Corunir. Through Golodir, Corunir's arc has been tied to Mordirith/Gothmog for a long time, and I think it would be very cool to see this resolved. If Gothmog does end up on redemption arc, given the threat of Lhaereth and the end of Sauron and the Witch King, then I think it would be really interesting to see how that story played out with Corunir's involvement. The Grey Company's main goal may be finished, but I think there's still plenty of emotion to be extracted from these characters.

As long as its not Radanir. He and I still have some business to attend to at the Forsaken Inn, before a long, slow walk up to Lake Evendim.
    I'd love to hear MoL thoughts on the matter too!
    Gwinthilnel: Elleth Hunter lvl 130~~~Hadniel: Woman Minstrel lvl 115~~~Gwynduilas: High Elleth Captain lvl 62 ~~~Gwindethen: Elleth Runekeeper lvl 28
    Kin: The Cliff Divers
    Evernight

Love this. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but we know SOME of them have survived as -not-named- NPC's at the Field of Cormallen- sharing drinks, etc. Its a matter of matching-up what they've looked-like when named versus what they look-like on the Cormallen field.

There's definitely some unfinished business.

I, for one, would like to know, just how, precisely, HOW!!!, were Lothrandir, et al, able to return without a problem, when there's trouble in Breeland and the Shire from a certain someone's influence? Obviously, they would have stayed clear of Dunland and probably headed-up through emptier lands in Minhiriath, etc.

In fact, let's keep track of some unfinished business since the Black Gate:

1. Fates of the Grey Company. Probably definitely involved with the Fate of Gothmog. Daervunn and Dagoras should be part of this. For Valar's sake, bring Gun Ainn / Mercy out of hiding again!!! Its time for Avair to avenge all who were oppressed by Angmar!!!
    2. Fates of the Rohirrim. Who is taking-over, other than Gifemond in the Stonedeans, in places that lost its Thanes?
    3. Nona- depending on Halros and Horn.
    4. Halros- depending on Horn.
    5. Horn- depending on Halros.
    6. Corudan.
    7. Fates of Gondor- Golasgil of Anfalas made a request for us to tell his people how he died. When's that going to happen? There's also unfinished business with Denethor's sisters- especially after Denethor and Forlong's deaths!!!
    8. Fates of Dunland. What happened in the war's aftermath?
    9. The obvious Fellowship of the Ring storylines for all 8 members and Arwen. Includes the Wedding, the "Homeward Bound" chapter, and the Scouring, etc.
    10. The fates of the Lords of Mordor will likely play a vital role in the Game moving forward. Pale Herald, Ugrukhor, Lhaereth, Borangos / Urudani, Roglarg, etc.
    11. ........SHELOB!

Well, that's my list- Grey Company may play all sorts of roles in the Gondor and Mordor parts of the game as well as Eriador. I feel sorrier for Golasgil at present more than shafted GC members if truth be told. "Tell my people... how their Lord died!" / Me: "Sure, ten years from now!" DON'T THEY CARE?! POOR GOLASGIL! lol
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

I was pondering the Rangers recently, and was considering who was in charge/how the Rangers were organised, and came across the three members of the Dunedain that can be found in Mirkwood - Prestadir, Idhrenfair and Himienor.

My question for MoL is this - what are these three Dunedain doing with the Golden Host? The quest text alludes to it a little, but it does seem a little out of place - why were they that far east in the first place?

After briefly running through Imlad Morgul, I only spotted one member of the Grey Company - Dagoras is at Echad Uial. I’m glad to see that the Grey Company are part of Faramir’s expedition and I hope that more are encountered as we go through the quest lines (as I couldn’t see any others on the landscape)!

Having just finished Minas Morgul, I think it is time to update this list!

Although not every member of the Grey Company is accounted for, there are a few that we know about post Battle at the Black Gate:

Brungos - part of the expedition into Mordor, found at the Ruins of Dingarth in Dor Amarth
    Culang - part of the expedition into the Morgul Vale, fights alongside us in Barad Curon
    Dagoras - part of the expedition into the Morgul Vale, found in Echad Uial
    Faeron - part of the expedition into Mordor, found in Agarnaith, then Minas Morgul
    Lothrandir - returns north to Suri Kyla, part of the Black Book quest
    Mithrendan - part of the expedition into Minas Morgul, found on the third tier of the city
    Radanir - met on the Field of Cormallen after the defeat of Sauron, says he plans on heading north
    Techeron - headed north, found in Annuminas as part of warden Black Book of Mordor quest line

This leaves the following unaccounted for since the Battle of the Black Gate:
    Amlan
    Angwedh
    Corunir
    Daervunn
    Helchon
    Idhrien
    Langlas
    Mincham
    Nethraw
    Orthonn

It would be good to hear about their fates soon - I’d expected to see more of them in Minas Morgul (given the link to Gothmog that Corunir in particular has!), but the Rangers of Ithilien got top billing instead (which is fine, as their characters needed developing - I’m thinking of adding them to the long list of the Rohirrim and the Gondorians that we’ve put together here.

Hopefully, during Aragorn’s wedding those of the Grey Company still in the south will be in attendance and involved in the quests!

Saeradan and Amarion are also unaccounted for, although I don’t expect to hear more about them and the other rangers left in the north until we head in that direction - although I find it a little odd that Lothrandir and Techeron were able to return without any apparent problems en route or without checking in on their old friends and kinsmen!

Saeradan and Amarion are also unaccounted for, although I don’t expect to hear more about them and the other rangers left in the north until we head in that direction - although I find it a little odd that Lothrandir and Techeron were able to return without any apparent problems en route or without checking in on their old friends and kinsmen!
    I mean: they might have. I don't remember them telling you their fates were a mystery.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    I mean: they might have. I don't remember them telling you their fates were a mystery.

MoL
    A fair point!

I've gone through and made a list of the Rangers of Ithilien that we have encountered in our travels, which I thought was particularly relevant now that we've met them a number of times. However, this is slightly different to the Grey Company, Rohirrim and Gondorian lists because, as far as I can tell, none of the characters listed below (other than one, created especially for the Black Book) have died!

I've not included all of the specific quests that all of the Rangers of Ithilien are involved in, but some are mentioned below to add a bit of context.

The Ithilien Rangers that we've met are:

Mablung - Captain of the Rangers of Ithilien. First met in the Osgiliath Culverts, he then joined the Host of the West and can be found in after-battle Osgiliath, Henneth Annun and the Camp of the Host. Mablung later enters the Morgul Vale and can be found at Echad Taerdim, where he is combating the forces of Cirith Ungol.

Damrod – A lieutenant of the Rangers of Ithilien, also first met in the Osgiliath Culverts. Joined the Hose of the West and can be found in Henneth Annun and the Camp of the Host. Damrod entered the Morgul Vale and ended up at Echad Uial, before leading the efforts to retake Minas Morgul, being present in both Barad Angarth and Barad Orhant (the lower tiers of the city).

Anborn – titled ‘Warden of Henneth Annun’, but we first meet him in Bar Hurin, alongside Thurindol, where he is rather untrusting towards our characters. Joins the Host of the West and is later found at Haerondir. He later enters the Morgul Vale and seems to be in command of the encampment of Estolad Lan.

Thurindol – Anborn’s rather more friendly lieutenant in Bar Hurin, who we later meet near the Cross-roads and directs us northwards into North Ithilien as part of the Host of the West. He appears at Henneth Annun and then at the Slag Hills alongside Candur. He later enters Mordor and can be found at Magh Aashtu, where he is dealing with the threats of Talath Urui (including Borangos). The next time we see him is in the Morgul Vale, where he is stationed at Echad Uial, directing the reclamation of Minas Morgul from afar.

Arodor – we first meet Arodor at Faramir’s Lookout, just to the south east of Osgiliath. Arodor is particularly interested in the Morgulduin and the deathly effects of the water. He can later be found at the Camp of the Host, having joined the Host of the West. Since then he has ventured into the Morgul Vale and has continued to investigate the Morgulduin, as well as contributing to the retaking of the second tier of Minas Morgul from Barad Orhant.

Candur – one of a number of Rangers of Ithilien who we first meet in the Culverts of Osgiliath. Candur later becomes an important member of the Host of the West and can be found at the Slag Hills, directing adventurers to conduct sorties into the Towers of the Teeth and Lang Rhuven. During the expedition into Mordor, he can be found at the Udun Foothold where he offers daily resource instances. He also appears in Minas Morgul, alongside Faramir in Barad Arthir and is part of the efforts to reclaim the peak of the city.

Gladhir and Mirthel – these are the first two Rangers of Ithilien that we meet when we arrive in South Ithilien and we help them deal with the threat of Haradrim in these lands. They later join the Host of the West and can be found at Haerondir (where Gladhir directs you to once again combat the Haradrim) before later venturing into the Morgul Vale and exploring Cirith Ungol alongside Mablung.

Rhadrog – one of many Ithilien Rangers at Henneth Annun, Rhadrog later ventures to Haerondir alongside the Host of the West. We later encounter him alongside Faeron of the Grey Company in Agarnaith, where they work together to thwart the Lady of Blight and befriend Viznak. We encounter Rhadrog and Faeron at Barad Elenath on the third tier of Minas Morgul, where they are once again working to stop Lhaereth.

Dornach – we are first introduced to Dornach when we encounter him near the Henneth Annun. Dornach insists our characters wear a blindfold for our journey into Henneth Annun (much to the amusement of Thurindol and the other rangers who we have met previously). The next time we encounter Dornach is in Minas Morgul, where he is aiding Candur and Faramir on the top tiers of the city from Barad Arthir. Dornach also helps us to investigate the source of the misery on the Circle of Despair.

Echil, Meldir and Golthor – we first meet these Rangers of Ithilien in the Osgiliath Culverts, where we help them to subvert the control that the forces of Mordor have upon the city. All three later arrive in Haerondir. Since then, we have only encountered Echil, who is part of Faramir’s forces aiming to reclaim Minas Morgul and can be found on the Circle of Death and the courtyard of Barad Curon.

Ereblen – we first meet Ereblen at Henneth Annun, where he introduces us to the properties of the flora of North Ithilien. He later travels to Haerondir alongside the Host of the West, and is later found in Minas Morgul, aiding Thurindol in the Reclamation of Minas Morgul.

Tordoron – we first encounter Tordoron outside the Khundolar encampment, Uya Hujum in North Ithilien, where we help him to expel their forces from the region. Tordoron can later be found at Haerondir, alongside the Host of the West, before later arriving in Minas Morgul to aid Thurindol in the Reclamation of Minas Morgul.

Maendal – when we first meet Maendal, he is the captain of a group of rangers need Aelin Veren, where he is attempting to deal with some Haradrim who surrendered to him and his men. We later encounter Maendal in the Morgul Vale within the Circle of Death, attempting to aid Faramir in the city’s conquest.

Laeglaw – A Ranger of Ithilien who we first encounter at Henneth Annun, before meeting him again at Haerondir. Alongside Mincham and Artamir, the Gondorian scholar, he ventures to Tham Durlam before returning to Haerondir and his commander, Anborn. Laeglaw has not featured in the story beyond this point.

Annoth – A Ranger of Ithilien and a descendant of the Thandrim who we meet in Cirith Gorgor at the start of the Black Book and alongside whom we enter Durthang. Annoth is later encountered in the Morgul Vale, seeking Ugrukhor and is killed by his sworn foe inside the throne room of Barad Curon.

In addition to these Rangers of Ithilien, there are a number that we have only encountered once:
    Hethradir – at Henneth Annun
    Cuilion and Taurdir – at or near Taen Orwath, as part of the expedition into Thuringwath
    Thornaran – found at Barad Angarth, Minas Morgul, helping to reclaim the Circle of Wrath from Ugrukhor and Gothmog’s forces.
    Dorgam – working alongside Dolenthol to reclaim the Circle of Wrath from Ugrukhor and Gothmog’s forces.
    Cannoth - encountered in Gath Daeroval, the Shadow Roost instance, where he is working to destroy the brood of Khatlob.

I think that is all of them, although please do point out if there’s someone that I’ve missed. Hopefully this will be useful on your adventures and in your encounters with these characters!

Well on the matter it might be beneficial if there was an in-game source to keep track of the different rangers you meet. Like a deed log with names where if you discover that ranger you can read something about them. Maybe even have different tiers of said log so that it can reflect upon the personal progress on some of the rangers. Something like Rangers as of Shadows of Angmar. As of Enedwaith pre and after. As of Dunland pre and after the Falcon clan. Pre-Pelennor and after. Pre-Black Gate and after. Just an idea.
    "I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say he did, standing over the body of King Brand before the gate of Erebor, until the darkness fell."
    http://gladdenhistory.wikispaces.com/

This is one of my favorite threads. I forgot who is who and where we meet them, and what their story is. I like the idea of some kind of regional deed log to follow along. And perhaps some kind of meta deed encompassing the regional deeds that we could go back to and refresh our memories of them all. Not so much like standard deeds but more like journal deeds that fill in as we move along. and when each deed is completed we can get a Ranger housing journal to listen to the stories. Maybe instead of each regional journal being a book it can be an interactive painting that fills in as we come across their stories that we can either read or listen to audio.

And some good news from the wedding. Lothrandir survived and turned up for the wedding of Aragorn and the party afterwards.

As for the other 'fate unknown' rangers, so did Amlan, Langlas, Mincham, Nethraw, Corunir, Orthonn, Helchon, Daervun, Angwedh and Idhrien, almost as if someone read this thread and decided to make sure they were all there.

(Also, I really liked that bit with them, I've been running around in the Gray Company outfit pretty much since I got it, and have that plotline come up again gave me a happy.)

As anyone who reads further up this thread can probably imagine, my favourite part of the whole epic (which was all pretty awesome, by the way!) was the part where we speak to the Grey Company during the banquet. I was really happy to see them all during the wedding ceremony, but I loved the moment that we got with them outside of the Feast Hall - it was beautifully done and well worth the wait, so thank you very much, MoL!

In addition to finding out that all of the rangers present at the Battle at the Black Gate (other than Calenglad) survived, we got a bit more detail about some of them (partly confirming what we already knew, but also shedding some new light on others):

Culang, Faeron, Mithrendan, Dagoras - confirmed to be staying in Gondor and helping Aragorn deal with the threats of Mordor and beyond

Radanir - confirmed to be leading a group back to the north, planning on calling in on Saeradan on the way

Lothrandir - returning to Forochel

Techeron - heading to Evendim

Angwedh - heading north, potentially to the wilderness (according to Radanir), which suggests to me that we might see him in further adventures soon

Idhrien, Langlas, Mincham - going to Esteldin (was it just me, or did the way that Idhrien and Langlas were referred to imply that they were potentially a couple? Perhaps Idhrien cared for Langlas after his grief at Celairant's death)

This leaves a few whose future plans are unknown (although it was mentioned by Culang that others might stay with him in Gondor):

Brungos - as we've already seen him in Mordor, it seems likely he'll stay in the south

Daervunn - Aragorn's right hand man post-Halbarad, I'm assuming he'll eventually end up as Aragorn's regent in the north, when Aragon heads that way? It would be a fitting end for Halbarad's second in command

Corunir - one of the final members of the 'A team' Grey Company, I'll be interested to see what he ends up doing

Amlan - surprised that he wasn't heading back to the north (given his close relationship with Saeradan), but he wasn't mentioned specifically. I quite like the suggestion about him made in this thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ease-(Fanmade)

Orthonn, Nethraw, Helchon - also not known (suggesting they might remain in the south?)

I don't know when we'll hear from the Members of the Grey Company again, but I look forward to doing so (and resolving some mysteries, like that of Amarion!), but I am very happy that the threads left hanging from the end of Volume 4 have been tied up in such a great way, so thank you again!

There was one further question I had about the timeline, which feels a little wonky:
    - Techeron and Lothrandir have already returned to Eriador by the second Chapter of the Black Book
    - Brungos, Culang, Faeron, Mithrendan and Dagoras are found throughout Mordor and the Morgul Vale - but Culang mentions these events during the wedding as if they are future plans, rather than something which has already taken place (e.g. 'I wonder what evils await in Minas Morgul' - which seems unlikely given that he's already helped us defeat Gothmog by this point!)

Now, I thought that we could potentially say that the Black Book takes place before the start of Vol.5 of the epic, but the problem with this is that the Black Book contains Arwen's arrival at Grimbeorn's House - so the expedition had already ventured into Mordor and the Morgul Vale before Arwen arrived for the wedding.

I fear that this is probably something which can't be untangled easily (Culang's quest dialogue could be changed, but Techeron and Lothrandir can't go to Eriador and back in time for the wedding), and it did make me pause for thought, but it wasn't enough to stop me enjoying an excellently told tale!

I fear that this is probably something which can't be untangled easily... Techeron and Lothrandir can't go to Eriador and back in time for the wedding...
    Why can't they? You did -- otherwise how would you have seen them in Forochel and Evendim?

Jokes aside, Schrodinger's Rangers are only an issue for Wardens and Minstrels. The overall chronology that I've been using for everybody else is something like this:

Volume 4 Book 9 -> BBoM 1-10, Shades in the Swamp, BBoM 11-12 -> Volume 5 Book 1 -> BBoM 13-14

It's not perfect (since Queen Arwen makes no appearance during the Minas Morgul stretch of BBoM), but it does allow Elrond to chat with you on Tol Send and still have plenty of time to get to the wedding, without cramming the entirety of the Minas Morgul expansion into the months before Midsummer -- which is possible but I don't think necessary.

For Lothrandir and Techeron, I don't think it's out of the question that they could have joined the wedding-bound party from Rivendell sometime after their adventures with their respective Corrupted Heirlooms, meaning that for Wardens and Minstrels their spoken decision at the banquet to travel to Evendim and Forochel is a return rather than a first journey. It's fun to try and make everything fit, but especially with travel times and distances we sometimes need to play a little fast and loose.

MoL

The standard answer to all such questions

MadeofLions - The standard answer to all such "how did NPC X get from A to B to quickly in the epic story line?" is Eagle Taxi's

Cheers,
    Staerek - Officer - Rimsilval Kinship - Elendilmir

Why can't they? You did -- otherwise how would you have seen them in Forochel and Evendim?

Jokes aside, Schrodinger's Rangers are only an issue for Wardens and Minstrels. The overall chronology that I've been using for everybody else is something like this:

Volume 4 Book 9 -> BBoM 1-10, Shades in the Swamp, BBoM 11-12 -> Volume 5 Book 1 -> BBoM 13-14

It's not perfect (since Queen Arwen makes no appearance during the Minas Morgul stretch of BBoM), but it does allow Elrond to chat with you on Tol Send and still have plenty of time to get to the wedding, without cramming the entirety of the Minas Morgul expansion into the months before Midsummer -- which is possible but I don't think necessary.

For Lothrandir and Techeron, I don't think it's out of the question that they could have joined the wedding-bound party from Rivendell sometime after their adventures with their respective Corrupted Heirlooms, meaning that for Wardens and Minstrels their spoken decision at the banquet to travel to Evendim and Forochel is a return rather than a first journey. It's fun to try and make everything fit, but especially with travel times and distances we sometimes need to play a little fast and loose.

MoL
    That explanation and chronology will do for me! Thank you for the awesome stories and for ensuring that the Grey Company were not forgotten!

(I now need to go back to Merethrond and see if I can remember/figure out who all of the rest of the wedding guests are, and speculate about any new names to be found!)

P.S. I bet Rhadrog was rather grumpy that Faeron got invited and he didn’t!

MoL

Thanks MoL!

Yes, this chronology makes sense. So I guess, factoring-in the encounters with Arwen's wedding party as well as the rest of the zone quests, it looks like:

Volume 4 Book 9

BBoM 1-10 / Gorgoroth- Udun, Dor Amarth, Lhingris, Talath Urui, Agarnaith, fall of DG, Eryn Lasgalen, Dale-lands / Erebor, Iron Hills, Ered Mithrim

(*I am not counting the Dwarf Allegiance in here as it is presented to the player... all the trips between Mordor, Erebor, and the detour to Moria- if we calculate how long it took Frodo to get from the Shire to Mordor, and if we calculate precisely how long it takes between Mordor and Erebor, we certainly have a case of "fast and loose" with timing The ONLY way it can work is if we assume all the quests are happening simultaneously without the back and forth to Thorin III Stonehelm: The player goes to investigate the missing Dwarves in Dor Amarth, discovers the traitor, and while pursuing the traitor, gets diverted to Moria to deal with what transpires there, completes the journey to Erebor, and thwarts the traitor and the dangerous artifact, earning Thorin's trust, and then returns from Erebor to Mordor. That makes a ton more sense than going back and forth between Erebor and Mordor multiple times; let's call this my "head canon" XD; I'd also like to imagine the Elf Allegiance storyline happening in parallel to this one, especially if selecting multiple allegiances, since it would make sense that the Moria part of the Dwarf line also allow the player to head to Rivendell to prep the wedding party and so on and so forth; In short, we just cannot count the "ports" / "Return to Thorin" / "Return to Galadriel" parts of those quests that make the timeline turn into a time-warp science fiction narrative ; I would place the Men Allegiance with King Elessar as transpiring around the time we return with Ayorzen to Minas Tirith in the BBoM; I would place the Hobbit Allegiance as pretty much happening between Udun and Talath Urui, on the way back from Minas Tirith).

For the corrupted heirloom quest: let's say it happens when it makes sense for it to happen without regard to level requirements. It would only make sense for a player character to partake in that sort of adventuring at the same time as heading north for Allegiance quests; it would not make much sense otherwise. Let's say the Eriador-related corrupted heirloom quest coincides with the player's return to Rivendell to help with the Wedding Party in the Elf Allegiance; forget that its level 108 versus level 110, because it doesn't make any sense at all for the player, story-wise, to go back to Mordor to go up to Rivendell

Vales of Anduin Beorning-lands quests / clearing the Wolf-Denes / the arrival of the Wedding Party to Grimbeorn's Lodge

Shades in the Swamp and the Gladden Fields quests- including the instance

BBoM 11-12

The rest of Vales of Anduin- especially Duskenvales and Arwen's visit to where her mother, Celebrian, was captured and later rescued; we are then sent in advance back to Minas Tirith to give King Elessar word of the Wedding Party's progress

Volume 5 Book 1 ; the Wedding

BBoM 13-14- the return to Imlad Morgul; Cirith Ungol; Minas Morgul; Thuringwaith quests. It now makes perfect sense as to why Celeborn is there in Cirith Ungol and Torech Ungol- he's part of the Wedding Party! Although, there's this strange bit where Celeborn appears to refer to shared adventures in dark places (that haven't happened yet if this chronology is correct). At least the language is vague enough to imply it could have been anything between Moria and Mordor, but still.... what happened first? Thwarting Shelob in Torech Ungol or the Wedding?

BBoM Epilogue- the player's return north following the Wedding and the events in Imlad Morgul- escorting Isildur's remains back to Rivendell and then following Gandalf back to Grimbeorn's Lodge. During this time, the Weeping Warrior Karazgar leaves the Vales of Anduin for some unspecified location in the East; Ayorzen the Wily also escapes eastward in Mordor with Karazgar's mask.

The Wells of Langflood quest-line: It makes sense for the player to head north with the Rohirric scholar first on the way back to Skarhald. I include all the zone quests, including Lyndelby.

The Legacy of Durin up to present: Leading Gloin and company back down to Limlok from Skarhald in preparation for the War of the Three Peaks.
    Last edited by Phantion; Today at 01:55 AM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3