We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The game seems dead?

Hello there Ive been playing for a fair while on server Elendilmir I heard it's an good Australian server because im Australian.
    trying out race/class combos and I decided to go with the basic guardian/dwarf since im to this game and this mmorgp style all together you see ive come from runescape a highly populated game to a game where no one speaking at all in any of the chat channels, nor when i directly chat to them.

But since im new to this type of mmrogp maybe im doing something wrong?

(I understand this game is huge in size I have seen it for myself but out of a good few hundred people no has spoken at all)

I'll hazard a guess that it's the specific server and not the state of the game. I can only speak to several of the U.S. servers that I have characters but on those there are always a lot of chatter happening.

My suggestion would be to head over to the specific server forums here and ask around for anybody on your server ands see if you can meet up with them in game.

Good luck
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000ff51a/01003/signature.png]Kathas[/charsig]

It's not that Elendilmir is dead, it just seems really quiet; even in some of the more heavily populated kinships I've been in nobody really talks. Maybe its different in the moors or in later areas of the game. I honestly never pay attention to the chat window myself, unless I get pm'd.

Chat is almost certainly not the primary reason why most people play this game.
    [COLOR=Red][B]TANSTAAFL[/B][/COLOR]

I don't play on that server personally, but I'm willing to wager that most people are in the high lvl zones and not the lower lvl zones. A good palce to find chat is probly your server "glff/globallff" (w/e one most use) user-chat channell(s).

Most of the chat on Elendilmir is on the glff channel (global looking for fellowship). Type "/joinchannel glff" and you'll start getting all the spam you can handle. Type "/1 whatever" to talk on it.

If you want a highly populated server choose Landroval, Brandywine, or Silverlode. I personally play on Imladris and it does seem very empty compared to many other mmorpg's but that is in part due to its immense size and I don't believe there is a global chat option that is turned on by default. So unless you join new channels, the chat in your chat window will always depend heavily upon where you are. That being said, if you want to find players of a similar level you can always search for them under the "social" window. BTW all of the servers I mentioned are international. I don't know anything about the Aussi ones.

Elendilmir has plenty of people on it, type /joinchannel glff when you get into the game next and you can chat ya heart away in there. I'm not one much for chat so I don't tend to stay in those channels long. I can't answer with regards to people not responding when you ask them something directly but you'll be fine in glff. I've come from a dying game/server and elendilmir is not it

Cheers to all

I assume most servers have this /glff channel? Is this a user created channel or does it exist in the game but not turned on by default?

Just curious.

Oh, and to the OP welcome to LotRO hope you enjoy this game as much as I have and stay along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Dklundt View Post
    I assume most servers have this /glff channel? Is this a user created channel or does it exist in the game but not turned on by default?

Just curious.

Oh, and to the OP welcome to LotRO hope you enjoy this game as much as I have and stay along for the ride.
    /glff is a user created channel and therefore is not on by default.

To the OP, if you are still in the starter instance the only chat you will see are those players that are also in the starter instance. I can't tell from your post what level you are or if you have exited the starter zone but this may be a reason why you are not seeing other players or robust chat. Typically you exit the starter zone by LV6-7. Also, Elendilmir is your best choice for Oceanic players and is the unofficial Oceanic server.

Welcome to Middle-earth!
    [COLOR="Red"][B]Draconus Elf Loremaster/Armsman[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][B]Dunford Man Captain/Explorer [/B][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Dalin Dwarf Minstrel/Armorcrafter[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Gafin Dwarf Champion/Tinker[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Dunford View Post
    /glff is a user created channel and therefore is not on by default.
    Good to know.
    Thanks Dunford!

Most servers have a good handful or two of channels that were created for specific purposes (like role-playing or PvMP or even specific to a class). After you are on the server a while you will meet people, and they will introduce you to the ones they know if you ask.

Also probably the vast majority of chatter is carried on within kinship chat, which you will not hear unless you are in that specific kinship.

Since we had a level cap increase not too long ago, a lot of people are still concentrating on their higher level toons. That may moderate eventually. You can usually find the rest (lately at the Winter festival) or maybe in the Moors (PvMP) or in instances. If you are looking for someone to level with, post in the forum section for that server, as suggested, or mention that in ooc or lff. (Usually someone will eventually respond, although most people will be doing something when you post.)
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

A place where cotton grows and oil flows.
    Elendilmir is busy enough overall, but like most servers, the lower-level areas are a bit sparse. A Kin you might look about for is The Osgiliath Guard - it was initially an Aussie group, but is a very large Kin and has a strong NA wing as well as the Aussie base - almost always 20+ players on-line at any time. Most are high level, but I know several (like me) that also have low-level alts and would be happy to help a beginner get started.

A note to the OP & any other new players - we're _all_ newbies, but some of just have more practice at it than others! <Big Grin>
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

Are you out of the starter instance?

Have you made it to Bree yet? Tends to be the first area you really run into people.

Since I have not ever noticed E being the recommended server, low level characters will probably be a lot alts. The following may apply.

Talking to other players, did you actually send them a tell or just type stuff into the default chat area? Without sending a tell to the exact person they probably didn't notice as that has a very short range.

If you did send them a tell and still got ignored don't think too much of it, I almost always miss tells as I'm play with the sound off a lot and there or don't hear the bell, and am probably distracted by the GLFF channel and kin chat (The Older Gamers). Though I do respond when/if I notice it.

They may also just want to be alone or power through what they want to do.

With E also having a reputation as the 24/7 server I have run into a lot of people that do not speak my language.

Welcome.

It is also worth mentioning that on the original servers, such as Brandywine, a lot of the players are very high level, and don't hang around the lower level areas, like Bree. That is, there may be plenty of players around, just not in the area you're in.

this game IS dead

Quote Originally Posted by RingWraithsRnoobs View Post
    Hello there Ive been playing for a fair while on server Elendilmir I heard it's an good Australian server because im Australian.
    trying out race/class combos and I decided to go with the basic guardian/dwarf since im to this game and this mmorgp style all together you see ive come from runescape a highly populated game to a game where no one speaking at all in any of the chat channels, nor when i directly chat to them.

But since im new to this type of mmrogp maybe im doing something wrong?

(I understand this game is huge in size I have seen it for myself but out of a good few hundred people no has spoken at all)

love to bump this old thread cuz now the game is actually dead no1 at the high lvls play anymore even on the more populated servers i spent 2500tp to change from dwarrodelf only 100 people in glff on prime time game hours to brandywine which has around 300-400 depending on the day of the week but it doesnt matter cuz no1 runs anything at all i mean yah i have 3 toons geared to the max but i still wanna at least run a few things that no1 else does for fun every1 is leaving this game to play something else its the way it is and frankly if turbine messes up helms deep the way they did rohan this game is gonna be devasated for OVER 9000!!!! lol but yah noobs to this wait a few months see how the expansion plays out cuz u dont wanna sink money into this game even tho its not p2w unless u count stat tomes but u can buy them for igg or farm tp or trade igg for tp cards ( not against the TOS) whichever but this game really is dead as a doornail

Quote Originally Posted by pillshatner View Post
    love to bump this old thread cuz now the game is actually dead no1 at the high lvls play anymore even on the more populated servers i spent 2500tp to change from dwarrodelf only 100 people in glff on prime time game hours to brandywine which has around 300-400 depending on the day of the week but it doesnt matter cuz no1 runs anything at all i mean yah i have 3 toons geared to the max but i still wanna at least run a few things that no1 else does for fun every1 is leaving this game to play something else its the way it is and frankly if turbine messes up helms deep the way they did rohan this game is gonna be devasated for OVER 9000!!!! lol but yah noobs to this wait a few months see how the expansion plays out cuz u dont wanna sink money into this game even tho its not p2w unless u count stat tomes but u can buy them for igg or farm tp or trade igg for tp cards ( not against the TOS) whichever but this game really is dead as a doornail
    GLFF is often used as the group-finder of last resort. I have it turned off a lot simply because it's rather hit-or-miss. You're much better off joining a kin and then finding groups from there.

Quote Originally Posted by pillshatner View Post
    On Laurelin I regularly see people whichever zone I'm in and with the current festival Bywater is very busy. There was also a recent player-created ingame event called Weatherstock that attracted hundreds of people. See the screenshots here: http://cstm.mymiddleearth.com/2013/0...herstock-2013/

Also see the amount of recent posts on this forum to prove that the game is very much alive.

ya /joinchannel glff is your friend. That's where all the chatting happens if you are not in a kin, the kin I joined has umm, I don't know 8-10 people on a busier times but I think most people just group chat, and I am still mostly a soloer since none of my alts are the right level and nor is my main lol to really do much with anyone.

So, it's tough to find discussion outside of GLFF unless you are in a big Kin I think. I've only ever played on Eld, so I don't know if others are any better, Brandywine probably requires you to talk like a Hobbit or whatever, and Eld seemed to have the most forum posts of the PvMP variety and that's what I based my decision on.

/glff is really where it is at...

Most of the things I run get organized through kinship and alliances.
    They only post in glff if they have someone drop or can't fill a spot.

Plus remember not every server calls it glff. It might be unite or globallff.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by whitering View Post
    Brandywine probably requires you to talk like a Hobbit or whatever

You gonna eat that or just let it mold???

I'm planning on coming back as well, I miss the story of the game. Is there still a chart somewhere that shows world population?

There's a recent event called Bounder's Bounty that involves turning in items on a server-wide scale. The general discussion forum has a sticky post with a graph of how many items have been turned in on each server. I'd guess that's a fair estimation of which servers have most active players.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast