We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What can a Captain do?

Hello all, merry xmas
    I'm considering making a Captain - it's nearly new year so I figure it's time for a new challenge. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about them. I rarely hunt as part of a group, instead preferring to travel solo.
    Would anyone be kind enough to explain what they think makes a good Captain? How does one solo as a Captain - is it easy or insanely difficult or not too bad? Any 'must-know' tips for 1st time Captains?
    Here's hoping a friendly Captain or several read this!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001cba22/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Solo captain

I think that the solo captain play isn't particularly hard--I solo frequently and I have a captain at 56. On the other hand it isn't particularly fast or entertaining for me. I did really enjoy the captain healing style (chop AND heal ftw!) but not so much the damage dealing. If I were making a solo captain I think I'd go mostly red line, focus on might for stats and get a big 2-hander. The archer minion is a significant damage buff, but I usually had out the herald of hope prior to getting that guy. I'd keep a minion because I think it is slightly more DPS and it allows your character to use more skills (not counting the increased skills that the minion has) which makes the captain playing experience a little more interactive. My biggest issue with the captain was that I mostly just spammed a few basic attacks and all my more interesting attacks were gated behind a yell that took a while to cooldown (battle-ready). For solo I felt that the decreased cooldown on this yell is extremely important. Captains deal decently with bigger groups and I tended to try to fight 2 mobs at the same time while questing. (Instead of the really large groups I'd try for with a champion or a guardian). Captains work really well (and are more fun) in a group and you do weaken them significantly with solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseyboy View Post
    Hello all, merry xmas
    I'm considering making a Captain - it's nearly new year so I figure it's time for a new challenge. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about them. I rarely hunt as part of a group, instead preferring to travel solo.
    Would anyone be kind enough to explain what they think makes a good Captain? How does one solo as a Captain - is it easy or insanely difficult or not too bad? Any 'must-know' tips for 1st time Captains?
    Here's hoping a friendly Captain or several read this!
    Hi. The captain is an excellent class, but it is at its most fun in a group. We can take some hits and heal a decent amount, but our heals are mostly directed outward and we can't deal a lot of dps on our own (we can increase our group's dps by quite a lot, though). It isn't insanely difficult, but not anywhere nearly as survivable as a warden.

When starting out, I recommend using your herald and a 2-handed weapon. You can have the herald distract one enemy if you are fighting more than one. Use your Shield-brother skills on him.

Make it a habit to keep yourself buffed at all times, and always use a mark on your target (telling mark to do more damage or revealing mark to help heal yourself). Use your defeat response skills whenever available (esp. Rallying Cry and War Cry).

I also recommend finding others to play with. It's way more fun. (Champions especially like running with a cappy; they get to do more dps than normal and not worry about dying).
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

I´ll add by giving you another link:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/What_...About_Captains

Captain can:
    1. Heal
    2. dps
    3. tank
    4. support (buffs)
    5. rez in and out of combat

A class that basically can do everything abit and some of it even better, like healing (if traited) the captain can pretty easily heal any 3man content and most 6man content as main healer

Having a captain go 1h sword and shield, can tank/off-tank very effectively

Having a captain trait for dps and using buffs, shield-brother (blade) and telling mark, he can very highly increase the dps of a whole fellowship

and lots more ...

Excellent - MANY thanks for taking the time to reply. I will soldier on and create a Captain I think - anything that might encourage me to group more has got to be a good thing! Thank you once again to those who replied!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001cba22/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]