We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Targeting question - please help

Hi Y'All,

I am getting so frustrated because I seem to have the hardest time targeting creatures, npc's, players. For example in the Frostbluff theatre when I was a participant, for the life of me I could not seem to be able to target the other participating players fast enough to throw either petals or rotten fruit. I had the audience targeted, but even though I hit my escape key and kept trying to target a player, the audience would become my target once again. Even when the player was highlighted??? And even when I have to target the audience, it seems that unless I happen to click my mouse at the exact right spot, I end up targeting players in the audience.

I thought my wireless mouse was the culprit because it was so unresponsive, so I replaced it with a non-wireless mouse, which is much more responsive, but I still seem to have the targeting issues. Another example, I'm doing a quest where you have to protect the NPC. Well if I hit my f10 key the npc gets targeted. Hitting f10 several times does not clear/change the target. So now I'm scrolling my mouse around trying to target the creatures attacking the NPC, well by the time I'm able to target the creatures, the NPC dies and I fail quest.

When in combat mode, I'm usually in the view where you can see yourself (so I can see what is around me) is that what I'm doing wrong?

I am so scared if I don't find a way to solve this, that no one will ever want me a group <cries> I only hope that it is not me who is that .. clumsy ... inept ... at targeting.

Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated.

i had the same problem a while ago so dont worry the targeting system in lotro is a bit clunky at best the best way ive found is to face the enemy and use a skill and it will auto target them or right click on the enemy

Thank you! Thank you! <hugs> I will try right away!!!

It seems to be working a wee bit better, but I still have to click a skill at least 3 times before enemy gets targetted. Is there something in the game settings I should change maybe?

I've found targetting by mouse in LOTRO to be unwieldy and imprecise. It works well if there's one selectable thing where you're clicking; it works OK if there's two or three and you don't have any of them targetted; but it's horrible if there's lots of things in a small area and you have one targetted already and you really want to select something behind that.

My solution has been to learn and use the targetting keys. For most classes of targets (enemies, NPCs, players, objects) there are keybindings for selecting the nearest, next, and previous. You're probably most familiar with the Tab key (Select Next Enemy), and possibly Backspace (Select Nearest Enemy). But you can also use F9 (Select Nearest Player), F10 (Select Nearest NPC), Delete (Select Nearest Item), and similar. You can see the full list of selection keybindings in the Options > Keybinding panel.

I've moved most of the targetting keys to surround my movement keys so that they're easier to access quickly. With WASD movement keys, I've bound R to Nearest Enemy, F to Nearest Player, X to Nearest Item, and Z to Nearest NPC. I've also bound Control+ those keys to the corresponding Next -- so I can press F to get the nearest player, and Ctrl+F to "tab" through the other players around me, or X for nearest item, then Ctrl+X for the next item.

Using targetting keys instead of the mouse does take some getting used to, whether you use the default bindings or your own.

(Note that Ctrl+F is the default keybinding for the FPS display, and FPS display cannot be reassigned from the in-game options panel. If you want to use Ctrl+F for another function, but still want to access the FPS display with some other key, you'll need to manually edit your lotro.keymap file.)
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Bonjolier, Thank you so very very much. You have no idea how much your response has helped and I am so relieved to realize that it was not me being completely inept!

OK I am now busily remapping my keys as per your suggestion!

Thank you so much once again! *big grateful hug*

Just wanted to add, OK this might be a total newbie question but what are quickbars/ quickslots used for? Is that where the skills go? I know *blushes* I am a total blonde when it comes to these things.
    Last edited by Roegue; Dec 29 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Just want to add:

Bonjolier, I just wanted to let you know what a difference your input has made! I am now actually enjoying myself and not stressing out so much over targeting issues. I am not very computer savvy and so your input helped me considerably!

Thanks again So Much!

Quote Originally Posted by Roegue View Post

Just wanted to add, OK this might be a total newbie question but what are quickbars/ quickslots used for? Is that where the skills go?
    That is exactly what it is! These quickbars are for the skills. But you may have figured out this for yourself in the meanwhile.

(Sorry for bad english, i am no native writer)
    [IMG]http://lux-hdro.de/generator.php/Espina/2/27/2/2/85/Pogorausch/0/3/0/0/0/1/2/8/8/8/8/8/8.png[/IMG]

Simple Fix

Hi Y'All,

I am getting so frustrated because I seem to have the hardest time targeting creatures, npc's, players. For example in the Frostbluff theatre when I was a participant, for the life of me I could not seem to be able to target the other participating players fast enough to throw either petals or rotten fruit. I had the audience targeted, but even though I hit my escape key and kept trying to target a player, the audience would become my target once again. Even when the player was highlighted??? And even when I have to target the audience, it seems that unless I happen to click my mouse at the exact right spot, I end up targeting players in the audience.

I thought my wireless mouse was the culprit because it was so unresponsive, so I replaced it with a non-wireless mouse, which is much more responsive, but I still seem to have the targeting issues. Another example, I'm doing a quest where you have to protect the NPC. Well if I hit my f10 key the npc gets targeted. Hitting f10 several times does not clear/change the target. So now I'm scrolling my mouse around trying to target the creatures attacking the NPC, well by the time I'm able to target the creatures, the NPC dies and I fail quest.

When in combat mode, I'm usually in the view where you can see yourself (so I can see what is around me) is that what I'm doing wrong?

I am so scared if I don't find a way to solve this, that no one will ever want me a group <cries> I only hope that it is not me who is that .. clumsy ... inept ... at targeting.

Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated.
    With the release of Update 9 the targeting system has changed to auto focus this is for the purpose of mounted combat. To turn it off simply press your X key and to turn it back on press the X key again this way when you click on another actor your focus will not auto focus back to the croud. Same gos for the mob v NPC.

Additional Uses for Quickslots

Just wanted to add, OK this might be a total newbie question but what are quickbars/ quickslots used for? Is that where the skills go? I know *blushes* I am a total blonde when it comes to these things.
    In addition to skills, your quickslots can be used for inventory items you would like to access quickly (like in combat) such as morale and power potions, healing potions, food, tokens, etc.
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#40e0d0][FONT=verdana]Deavonian 76 Elf Champion, Rhimorea 69 Man Loremaster, Deavwyn 75 Woman Minstrel
    Renardric 63 Man Captain, Renardo 36 Hobbit Warden, Impatens 33 Hobbit Burglar
    Renardalin 32 Dwarf Rune-Keeper, Renardolin 22 Dwarf Guardian[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]