We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What DID you like about The Hobbit film?

Okay there are quite a few threads dedicated to picking out the irritating and unliked aspects of the film. Let's bring some positivity into this.

What DID you like about The Hobbit film? There must be something.

I liked the casting, especially Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage. And of course, we can't forget Sir Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchet, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis who are always wonderful.

I thought Elijah Wood's acting was much better this time around.

I loved the Blunt the Knives song. I didn't expect that to end up in the movie.

I loved Elrond's armour. As soon as I saw that I whispered to my sister, "How come we don't have that in the game?"

I love the scene where Bilbo chooses not to kill Gollum. For me, that was possibly my favorite scene. I had read it so many times but it wasn't until I actually saw it, that it truly hit home. I pitied Gollum too. In fact, when that single tear rolled down his face, I kind of just wanted Bilbo to give him back the ring. Poor creature.

Speaking of the character of Gollum, the way Andy Serkis says "Is it scrummmptiousssss?" creeps me out. I love it.

And, I know it's a little thing, but I love that Gollum's eyes glowed in the dark.

I do love that they went into more detail with Thorin's character. I never cared much for him in the book as I always found him to be an arrogant ****. But with more detail on him, he's still arrogant but it's clear that it isn't just about gold.
    Iaralor | Riddorra | Cirnordar | Thransi | Fanion | Tarro | Otleif | Mallelleth

Quote Originally Posted by Ioralor View Post
    And, I know it's a little thing, but I love that Gollum's eyes glowed in the dark.
    Details like that which PJ managed to leave well enough alone. That's what we likes, yes, Precious.

I do love that they went into more detail with Thorin's character. I never cared much for him in the book as I always found him to be an arrogant ****. But with more detail on him, he's still arrogant but it's clear that it isn't just about gold.
    That's the thing, he's supposed to be an 'enormously important' Dwarf (and he knows it) and hence hardly the most sympathetic of characters, especially not once the dragon-spell on Smaug's hoard has him in its grip. He only becomes a sympathetic character at the end of the book, as he lies dying after the Battle of Five Armies. Not every character has to be immediately likeable and to begin with, 'Thorin indeed was very haughty', as it says. But it's not as if all the Dwarves in the company were like that, which is what actually matters.

I agree with everything the movie was great.
    One of my favorite scenes was when the Stone Giants were trying to eat Bombur (I might of spelled that wrong) and Bilbo said no wait he has..... Parasites in his .... Tubes. And then the giant immediately dropped bombur haahah.
    I also like the whole texture of the film and I relally don't understand why there are so many complaints about the hobbit even though it is such a great movie!

I am hardly a PJ fanboy, but honestly I enjoyed the film a good deal at my first viewing and am looking forward to seeing it again here with my sister's family in a few days. Here is what I especially enjoyed.

As always, sets, costumes and props lay out a visual feast. I enjoyed the time spent in Bag End and Dale and Erebor were also well realized. Eyecandy throughout, of course, but these early bits really set the mood for me.

A diversity of Dwarves. Although Peter Hambleton's bushy-beareded and beetle-browed Gloin fits the archetype (and bears a striking family resemblance to Jonathan Rhys Davies' Gimli), PJ wisely provided us with a great deal of variety among the company of Thorin Oakenshield. I may not be able to put name to dwarf in all cases, but the individuality makes it easy for me to track "that's THAT one" without having to.

And speaking of eye candy – yes, I am going there – PJ brought something truly unexpected (to me, in any case) to the screen that entertained me throughout: Aidan Turner as Kili. A hawt dwarf? Whodathunkit? But yes, indeed, he is a cutie. And I think the youthful demeanor of Kili and Fili hit just the right note as well.

I was also charmed by PJ's deft inclusion of the washing-up song, but the musical moment that sold me on the film (and that has played on in my mind from time to time since) was "Far Over Misty Mountains Cold". Brilliant musical scoring and arrangement there. That's one that will be going in my ABC file, for sure.

I really enjoyed the movie, some of my favorite parts were...

Game Related

The mention of Ered Luin was great, if only Thorin knew a hall was to be built in his name! 8)

Another was Rhudaur, when they were speaking of the Witch King and the lands from where he came.

Direct from the Movie

I enjoyed the scenes from the Lone Lands and the secret path to the Vale of Imladris.

When Frodo bid Bilbo goodbye to go and meet Gandalf was a nice touch as it tied in FOTR in a nice little way.

I liked seeing the eagles in action. I imagine Gwaihir, Landroval and Meneldor were amongst the group, at least I like to think so!

Quote Originally Posted by Ioralor View Post
    I liked the casting, especially Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage. And of course, we can't forget Sir Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchet, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis who are always wonderful.
    I really liked the casting too. Martin Freeman is PERFECT as Bilbo. High praise, perhaps, but I really can't think of who would have done the job of young Bilbo better.

My favorite parts were pretty much everything with the Dwarves and Bilbo. I know not everyone is thrilled with the Dwarves' character designs, but I liked them. They did a good job of distinguishing each of them visually and personality-wise, which I think was key to bringing this story to the screen. And I wasn't as unhappy with Gimli's portrayal in the original film trilogy as some others were, but I still think he came off as a bit too jokey and comic relief-y. Here they did a better job balancing the humor with the serious as far as the Dwarves were concerned.

I didn't enjoy the expanded/invented parts about the Necromancer as much as the rest, although I think I'm one of the few that liked Radagast. People say that he's a nitwit in this movie, which he really isn't - he's actually one of the wisest characters along with Galadriel and Gandalf, as they portray them all (Elrond is a bit too laid back and Saruman too willfully ignorant/conniving). He just has zero social skills and is fidgety due to being surrounded by animals for who knows how long. I watched him and kept thinking of the epic chapter in LOTRO where you get beat on over and over by huorns and undead in Agamaur, and Rad is off helping an ailing squirrel somewhere. Yep, that's his thing, that's what he does :-P

EDIT: oh, and one last thing. I really liked the part added to the beginning showing what happened to Erebor, because we FINALLY get to see a great Dwarven city in its prime, even if just for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Susuwatari; Dec 28 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000fb565/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As a movie it was great. Most of my complaints have to do with how it related to lore/book.

Acting was great.

It was humorous

It was enjoyable in general.

Despite my complaints it was still a great movie!
    Co-Founder of TEAM F. Turined R9 champ. Mashedtaters R9 Reaver
    Perma-Retired Pre SoM- R9 Hnt. R8 Reaver

I enjoyed quite a lot but haven't fully laid out all of the details that made me smile.

I loved seeing a lady dwarf! If you missed it, shame on you.

I liked the way the movie was setting a framework that would tie into the trilogy films, such as Old Bilbo's narration on his birthday at the start, the scenes of the fall of Dale where you see a young boy watching a doll burn which made me think of our future hero, Bard. Also the way that Peter Jackson included details such as the children of Dale with their many toys - the fact that the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain were also famous for their toys would have been easy to overlook in such a film.

Martin Freeman as Bilbo was excellent, as was Balin, two of the shining stars of the films for me.

I loved the way the end tied in the message of the moon runes by following the thrush all the way to the steps of the secret door where his cracking of the snail shells awakens Smaug from his slumber. That along with the very unlikely timing of making it to Rivendell on just the right day of the year to have read the moon runes really makes the entire adventure feel fated - possibly even more effectively than it was portrayed in the books.

I wasn't sure I would like the Stone Trolls scene, but it turned out quite funny.

Seeing the historical battle between Thorin and Azog was great - loved all of the dwarves in their various armours and the scope of the battle. The dwarf with the mohawk made me giggle as it reminded me of the hairstyle options in the game.

Gollum's acting was amazing - really great the way he switched between his two personalities. And 'the pity that stayed Bilbo's hand' was well done indeed. I like how that was included since it will tie in so well with the scenes in the trilogy where Frodo wonders that Bilbo didn't kill him and later taking pity upon Smeagol himself.

Radagast's Quenya chanting. An Elrond less troubled by his daughter's fate. The elvish minstrel that the dwarves laugh at lol

Lots more, but those things off the top of my head!
    "The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
    [b][u][ M e n e l d o r ][/u][/b] | Aethniniel || Aethnin || Aethwen |

I personally enjoyed the Great Goblin!! He was funny and seemed to be a bit of a troll
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000202596/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I loved Smaug waking up at the end. That was an awesome ending. I actually had a "oh (bad word goes here) moment.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I liked the font on the opening credits.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

To be honest, I loved it.

I'm going to say something which many won't agree with, but I actually enjoyed the film more than I did the book. Since I hadn't read Tolkien in a while and thought it best to return to The Hobbit given it's release, I decided to read it once more. Simply put, my reading skills has improved a lot since my last read. It was so simple, so basic. I know it's meant to be a children's book but I honestly don't remember it being so, for lack of a better word, childish(?)

Anyway, not meaning to bash the book - I'd like to focus more on how the film was amazing. Firstly, and most obviously, the casting! Lovely to see old faces like Elijah, Ian and Cate again, makes me feel like I'm back in Middle Earth, ready for an epic adventure! And also, the new people, in particular Aidan Turner; my god. Good show, Peter, for making a sexy dwarf. He certainly knows how to appeal to the 'non-Tolkien fanboys/girls' - the people who wouldn't want to see a bunch of odd looking old men getting all sweaty and dirty. I'm sure nobody would object to Kili getting a little, uh, worn(?). The attention to detail was amazing, I particularly loved that he included some songs in the film; it made The Hobbit seem a lot more light-hearted and followed the book in that sense since The Hobbit isn't as dark nor complex(?) as Lord of the Rings, in my opinion. Much simpler.

But because of the simplicity, I'm SO glad he's added additional aspects to the film from The Unfinished Tales. Not only does it link The Hobbit better as a prequel to The Lord of the Rings, it makes the simple narrative a lot more interesting; instead of following a linear succession of events, i.e. party, trolls, goblins, Gollum, Mirkwood, Laketown, Erebor, Smaug, Five Armies, The End, it gives us a much more florid storyline which I, personally, enjoyed. I'd think the film rather dull without the additions, to be honest. I don't mean to say The Hobbit is a dull story, but that it wasn't in league with Lord of the Rings with regards to action and thrills. If Peter followed the story exactly, I think it would have more negative than positive reviews since it's not only Tolkien fanboys/girls that watch The Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, this post is getting too long; just saying, I loved the film, loved the additions and can't wait to see if we see Galadriel and The White Council sacking Sauron from Dol Guldur! Gigantic success; LONG LIVE TOLKIEN.

Aside from the great actors, most notably Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis, and the amazing sets (Goblin-town and Erebor were so cool), I loved how PJ kept so many of the little bits and pieces that made the book so loveable, such as the "good morning" debate, the dishes song, Bilbo forgetting his handkerchief, "burrahobbit", the thunder-battle, and all the others. Alot of movies seem to rush to the end, trying to keep all the plot elements, but only sticking to the letter of the book and not the spirit. PJ doesn't in LOTR though, and he doesn't in the Hobbit either.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I laughed when Gandalf says that the Trolls must have "come down from the Ettenmoors."

The battle at the East Gate of Moria. I could swear that Thorin rallys the dwarfs and yells "Baruk Khazâd!"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000000caa9/01003/signature.png]Nylonus[/charsig]

I liked that they portrayed the Dorfs as the fat, stinky, lazy, greedy and faithless creatures they truly are. Of course, we will have to wait for Thorin's betrayal of Bilbo and the people of Lake-town in one of the later films to plomb the full depths of Dorf depravity, but I thought this was a good start.

I also liked watching the Dorfs get their fat butts kicked repeatedly by dragons, goblins, orcs, wargs, trolls, etc, until a Hobbit/Wizard/Eagle would eventually show up to save them. Looking forward to seeing elves and spiders kick their fat butts too, in the next installment!

I could have done without the bird poo on Radagast's face, but his rabbit sled was epic. When will the sled be available in the LotRO store, anyway?

I always cringe at the dialog invented wholesale by Peter Jackson, et al in the LotR movies, but I thought Gandalf's explanation to Galadriel of why he pushed Bilbo into joining the expedition was surprisingly well-done.

What DID I like about it? Well, the fact that it was actually made. That a group of people invested their time and reputations to seeing one of the most iconic pieces of fiction brought to the screen again - probably in the full knowledge that pseudo Tolkien 'experts' were going to pick it apart. The same sort of film critics that work at Carphone Warehouse.

Thranduil and his elk
    I love Martin Freeman's acting, didn't remind me of John Watson at all
    The Shire
    Bilbo and Gollum's scene, I think that was one of the better events in the film
    [url]http://eternalno0b9aming.tumblr.com/[/url]