We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs up Month of the Warg: Pre discussion

From the producers letter : http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...king-back-2012

Class Skills – In years gone by the LOTRO team has conducted class “Month Of” events to make changes and improvements to the classes. Heading into 2013, we are looking into player feedback in regards to skills (ones that are great and ones that really aren’t) and overall progression. Advancing through current and future levels should have a real payoff, and the class should feel different as you progress and grow your abilities.
    As wargs we know freeps will be in tears over RoR and the loss of easy mode. You should expect the class discussions freepside to run the range of "OMG HUNTERS NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REWRITTEN" to "Defilers have to be nerfed, HAVE TO BE, the flies are to OP" to "creeps overall got to much morale, to many new skills, to much of to much!!!" Basically it will be flooded with what they cant do, never mind the multitude of skills and abilities that are over powered and working spectacularly. As creeps, specfically wargs we need to be mindful of the nerf bat. Pounce has been nerfed, soon a lot of the bonus's we picked up with U6 revamp will be on the block as its highly unlikely freep players will exclude nerfing creeps from their class narratives.

You have the opportunity to improve your class. As Rowan said in the letter above the "class should feel different as you progress and grow your abilities" Wargs should become increasingly powerful once R10 is achieved. I think if someone were to be pounced by say an R12 warg that should be an absolute calamity for the freep player. The morale drop dosent do it justice.

My proposal is:
    R12 skill: "Improved Pounce"(racial trait, must be slotted) You leap at your target to distract it interupting actions it was performing. Increased damage when attacking from behind. Interupts inductions. 665 Common Damage, 10% power loss (based on power pool) on target pounced, this can stack (3 wargs = 30%).

Wargs are a burst damage class, however that damage can be negated often by simple one button options for the opposiing side. Creepside is already expirencing a nerf to power reductions with the WL banner nerf, freeps won that battle. It is not unreasonable, based on the nerf to Pounce (increased its CD by 50%) to increase its potency after R12. This would line up perfectly with Rowans profession to desire the classes to "feel different" as you rank. To compensate for the predictable rebuttals that it would be OP, it would require a racial trait eating one slot.

Dont be bashful in your ideas to improve the warg class. We need a lot of work to become a true DPS burst class on par with the freep bubbles, sprints, self heals, stuns, and DPS. If you dont speak up you'll be playing catch up. The freep players are not stupid they see their window to get back to Ez mode at U10. RoR is hard for some of them, dont fall behind in the PvP dev attention race.
    Last edited by Thorgrum; Dec 27 2012 at 02:59 PM.

I've seen a warg die the other day. For the month of the warg, I think it would be fair for disappear to work while stunned. Also the cooldown is way too long and should be decreased to a more reasonable 30s.
    [size=1]Freeps (Snowbourn): [b]Equanor (R11 MNS)[/b] - Equendil - Orlo - Equadoc - Quaolin - Oshia - Kaolin - Equaric - Equorn
    Creeps (Snowbourn): Veloch (R9 RVR) - Velrow (R10 BA) - Velkro - Oruk - Velrot - Velreth
    Author of the [url=http://tiny.cc/2zm50w]Legendary Item Planner[/url], [url=http://tiny.cc/m1m50w]Bootstrap[/url] and [url=http://tiny.cc/41m50w]Baruk[/url] plugins.[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Equendil View Post
    I've seen a warg die the other day. For the month of the warg, I think it would be fair for disappear to work while stunned. Also the cooldown is way too long and should be decreased to a more reasonable 30s.
    That isnt bad, although a better avenue to go down might be "a high sheen coat"

The warg, after drinking the tears of it foe, produces a thicker more robust coat, high sheen whatever.

+1500 armor value for 30 seconds, but you have to pick between that or rallying howl. Defeat alert required.

Unfortunately I think you may have jumped the gun here old boy. Whilst they said they would be revamping class skill sets that has traditionally meant 'freep class skill sets'. Creep skill set revisions typically get filed under 'PvMP Revisions'. However, I am hopeful that creeps too will receive some attention when they carry out these revamps and in that spirit of hope I would make the following suggestions.

Shadow Stance Rotation - Simply put wargs don't really have a rotation whilst using Shadow stance. We spam Bestial Claws with the very occasional inclusion of a Sudden Maul or a Pounce. That makes for rather limited, and boring, gameplay. I would suggest upping the damage of our other skills whilst in Shadow stance e.g. Scratch and Snip, Swipe, etc in order to make those skills worth using in a rotation.

Shadow Stance Damage - Shadow stance is supposed to be our damage stance and the warg is supposed to be a burst dps class, however, I don't feel that the current state of the class really supports that. I think this could be remedied by increasing the damage of some of our skills as per my suggestion above concerning rotation.

Raking Claws Brute Bonus - The +50% induction time increase debuff is quite frankly useless. It looks good on paper, but in practice it will be adding an extra 0.5-1sec onto most inductions. With the increase to Pounce's cooldown as well as the loss of an entire interrupt we have less ability to make use of this extra time to actually interrupt anyone. All of this and it has a 5% chance to apply. I would suggest replacing this with a hefty incoming healing debuff.

Flea Bitten - The attack duration debuff component of this skill is fine. The induction time increase component isn't particularly good for the reasons I listed above for the Raking Claws Brute Bonus. I would suggest increasing the magnitude of the induction time increase debuff rather than replace it though as this skill isn't on a low percentage proc chance and will stack with other induction time debuffs the warg has.

Snap! - This skill applies extra effects whenever it lands a critical hit. Unfortunately it seems to crit very rarely according to the testing I have done as well as observations from my general gameplay. I am presuming that this is a bug.

Rabid Bite - The debuff increases power costs for the target by 40% or 75% if traited. The problem here is that with full Audacity players receive a 20% reduction in their power costs. So whilst the traited version of this skill can be (moderately) useful the untraited version really isn't all that appealing to use. I would suggest increasing the base value of the debuff and perhaps reducing the magnitude of the trait to compensate.

Crippling Bite - With so many run speed options available now, compared with when the skill was first introduced back at the launch of the game, the -25% run speed debuff feels a little weak now. I would suggest a small increase to -30% run speed.

Sudden Pounce/Pounce - Increasing the cooldown of this skill from 10sec to 15sec because of the interrupt component had the side effect of an unwarranted nerf to one of our most basic skills: the Pounce stun. Considering that out of stealth this stun requires another skill to be sued first and isn't even guaranteed to proc makes this nerf all the worse. If there is concern about a high frequency of interrupts may I suggest reverting Pounce's cooldown back to 10sec and increasing Eye Rake's cooldown instead?

Piercing Claws - In Shadow stance this skill really isn't at all useful. It won't do more damage than Bestial Claws unless the target has 25k+ morale or thereabouts. I understand that the skill is intended for use against high mitigation opponents such as tanks, but frankly even most tanks don't seem to have more than 18-20k morale, and often considerably less than that if they are setup for damage output rather than survivability. In short the skill doesn't see much use. Can I suggest perhaps increasing its damage whilst in Shadow stance? In terms of Flayer stance it seems to work quite well considering the lower damage output of that stance.

Pack Flayers - Could we receive some clarification on exactly which abilities will counter this skill's root effect please? Some run speed enhancing skills break it, HiPs breaks it too I believe. Clarification would be nice though. Additionally this skill can sometimes activate even though the target doesn't become rooted i.e. the warg starts channelling the skill, but the target has moved slightly out of range and is not rooted. Could something be done about this to ensure that in such situations to ensure that either the target is rooted or that the skill doesn't activate?

Pack Elder - This racial trait is, to be blunt, rubbish. Its only effect is a small physical mitigation boost, which isn't even as much as a physical mitigation corruption! It seems daft to use up a racial trait slot for a trait that is outdone by a corruption. I would suggest significantly boosting the value of the mitigation increase this trait grants or simply scrapping it altogether and putting something else in its place.

Shadow Fang - Please make the ability to do shadow damage a passive ability. It's frankly ridiculous that any creep, warg or otherwise, should have to give up a trait slot simply to use a different type of damage.

Enhanced Skill: Stealth - Ugh! Where to begin?! This trait need a complete overhaul in my opinion, not because it is bad, but because it is too good. Simply put it is nigh on impossible to play a warg without this trait. That removes some element of choice from traiting decisions and limits our flexibility in building our toons the way we want. I would suggest making the +55% stealth movement speed bonus a passive ability gained at rank 1. Keep the +4 stealth level intact and perhaps add in a small damage boost modifier for skills used from stealth, say +5% or so (this would also help with the Shadow stance damage issue I pointed out above).

Defeat/Critical Responses - I would like to see more use made of these mechanics. We currently have a small set of abilities that can be activated with a defeat/critical response and it would be nice to see these expanded upon so we had some choice in what to do with those responses. It would also make more interesting and tactical gameplay if we had a set of abilities to choose from when utilising these mechanics.
    Last edited by MrWarg; Dec 28 2012 at 01:58 AM.

^ While all of these seem great from a quick scan, I would trade them all if Turbine would

FIX THE FING BUGS AND EXPLOITS!!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000011a1c9/signature.png]Feelmybite[/charsig]

I didn't know we'd had any months that WEREN'T of the warg.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWarg View Post
    Unfortunately I think you may have jumped the gun here old boy. Whilst they said they would be revamping class skill sets that has traditionally meant 'freep class skill sets'. Creep skill set revisions typically get filed under 'PvMP Revisions'. However, I am hopeful that creeps too will receive some attention when they carry out these revamps and in that spirit of hope I would make the following suggestions.

Shadow Stance Rotation - Simply put wargs don't really have a rotation whilst using Shadow stance. We spam Bestial Claws with the very occasional inclusion of a Sudden Maul or a Pounce. That makes for rather limited, and boring, gameplay. I would suggest upping the damage of our other skills whilst in Shadow stance e.g. Scratch and Snip, Swipe, etc in order to make those skills worth using in a rotation.

Shadow Stance Damage - Shadow stance is supposed to be our damage stance and the warg is supposed to be a burst dps class, however, I don't feel that the current state of the class really supports that. I think this could be remedied by increasing the damage of some of our skills as per my suggestion above concerning rotation.

Raking Claws Brute Bonus - The +50% induction time increase debuff is quite frankly useless. It looks good on paper, but in practice it will be adding an extra 0.5-1sec onto most inductions. With the increase to Pounce's cooldown as well as the loss of an entire interrupt we have less ability to make use of this extra time to actually interrupt anyone. All of this and it has a 5% chance to apply. I would suggest replacing this with a hefty incoming healing debuff.

Flea Bitten - The attack duration debuff component of this skill is fine. The induction time increase component isn't particularly good for the reasons I listed above for the Raking Claws Brute Bonus. I would suggest increasing the magnitude of the induction time increase debuff rather than replace it though as this skill isn't on a low percentage proc chance and will stack with other induction time debuffs the warg has.

Snap! - This skill applies extra effects whenever it lands a critical hit. Unfortunately it seems to crit very rarely according to the testing I have done as well as observations from my general gameplay. I am presuming that this is a bug.

Rabid Bite - The debuff increases power costs for the target by 40% or 75% if traited. The problem here is that with full Audacity players receive a 20% reduction in their power costs. So whilst the traited version of this skill can be (moderately) useful the untraited version really isn't all that appealing to use. I would suggest increasing the base value of the debuff and perhaps reducing the magnitude of the trait to compensate.

Crippling Bite - With so many run speed options available now, compared with when the skill was first introduced back at the launch of the game, the -25% run speed debuff feels a little weak now. I would suggest a small increase to -30% run speed.

Sudden Pounce/Pounce - Increasing the cooldown of this skill from 10sec to 15sec because of the interrupt component had the side effect of an unwarranted nerf to one of our most basic skills: the Pounce stun. Considering that out of stealth this stun requires another skill to be sued first and isn't even guaranteed to proc makes this nerf all the worse. If there is concern about a high frequency of interrupts may I suggest reverting Pounce's cooldown back to 10sec and increasing Eye Rake's cooldown instead?

Piercing Claws - In Shadow stance this skill really isn't at all useful. It won't do more damage than Bestial Claws unless the target has 25k+ morale or thereabouts. I understand that the skill is intended for use against high mitigation opponents such as tanks, but frankly even most tanks don't seem to have more than 18-20k morale, and often considerably less than that if they are setup for damage output rather than survivability. In short the skill doesn't see much use. Can I suggest perhaps increasing its damage whilst in Shadow stance? In terms of Flayer stance it seems to work quite well considering the lower damage output of that stance.

Pack Flayers - Could we receive some clarification on exactly which abilities will counter this skill's root effect please? Some run speed enhancing skills break it, HiPs breaks it too I believe. Clarification would be nice though. Additionally this skill can sometimes activate even though the target doesn't become rooted i.e. the warg starts channelling the skill, but the target has moved slightly out of range and is not rooted. Could something be done about this to ensure that in such situations to ensure that either the target is rooted or that the skill doesn't activate?

Pack Elder - This racial trait is, to be blunt, rubbish. Its only effect is a small physical mitigation boost, which isn't even as much as a physical mitigation corruption! It seems daft to use up a racial trait slot for a trait that is outdone by a corruption. I would suggest significantly boosting the value of the mitigation increase this trait grants or simply scrapping it altogether and putting something else in its place.

Shadow Fang - Please make the ability to do shadow damage a passive ability. It's frankly ridiculous that any creep, warg or otherwise, should have to give up a trait slot simply to use a different type of damage.

Enhanced Skill: Stealth - Ugh! Where to begin?! This trait need a complete overhaul in my opinion, not because it is bad, but because it is too good. Simply put it is nigh on impossible to play a warg without this trait. That removes some element of choice from traiting decisions and limits our flexibility in building our toons the way we want. I would suggest making the +55% stealth movement speed bonus a passive ability gained at rank 1. Keep the +4 stealth level intact and perhaps add in a small damage boost modifier for skills used from stealth, say +5% or so (this would also help with the Shadow stance damage issue I pointed out above).

Defeat/Critical Responses - I would like to see more use made of these mechanics. We currently have a small set of abilities that can be activated with a defeat/critical response and it would be nice to see these expanded upon so we had some choice in what to do with those responses. It would also make more interesting and tactical gameplay if we had a set of abilities to choose from when utilising these mechanics.
    Looking at things with tunnel vision makes for poor assessments.
    Rank 14 Minstrel, Rank 10 Rune-keeper, Rank 7 Champion
    Rank 11 Weaver, Rank 11 Blackarrow, Rank 10 Reaver, Rank 10 Stalker, Rank 9 Defiler, Rank 7 Warleader

Quote Originally Posted by Daec View Post
    Looking at things with tunnel vision makes for poor assessments.
    I stand by the suggestions I made. You are perfectly free to disagree with them of course, just as you are free to make suggestions of your own.

On a different note:

Disappear - Could we see a fix for this skill please? Currently it is the case that pets can still see the warg and follow him after the warg has used Disappear to enter stealth. The same also applies to NPCs on some occasions. I believe this bug is also affecting the Burglar's HiPS skill. This bug has been around for some time now (to put it mildly), previous attempts at fixing the bug having failed.
    Last edited by MrWarg; Dec 29 2012 at 12:53 AM.

I stand by the suggestions I made. You are perfectly free to disagree with them of course, just as you are free to make suggestions of your own.

On a different note:

Disappear - Could we see a fix for this skill please? Currently it is the case that pets can still see the warg and follow him after the warg has used Disappear to enter stealth. The same also applies to NPCs on some occasions. I believe this bug is also affecting the Burglar's HiPS skill. This bug has been around for some time now (to put it mildly), previous attempts at fixing the bug having failed.
    It's the fact that some of the criteria you used to base your suggestions on is wrong, or at best half truths, for instance the 5% chance to apply the -50% induction.
    Rank 14 Minstrel, Rank 10 Rune-keeper, Rank 7 Champion
    Rank 11 Weaver, Rank 11 Blackarrow, Rank 10 Reaver, Rank 10 Stalker, Rank 9 Defiler, Rank 7 Warleader

Give wargs whatever, but change Find Footing to Reflect 500% Shadow damage and + 500% damage to beast kind for the duration.
    Creeps: Fissure R-12
    Freeps: Presdas R-9, Arcteus R9, Dainsleif-1 R4

-replace that useless icpr "bonus" in shadow stance
    -bring back old rabid bite
    -make shadow type dmg passive
    - MORE DPS!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Daec View Post
    It's the fact that some of the criteria you used to base your suggestions on is wrong, or at best half truths, for instance the 5% chance to apply the -50% induction.
    This is actually the case. All brute buffs have a base application chance of 5%. This can be modified up to 25% IF the Brute skill is used (stealth skill while in flayer stance). This, however, has a 30s duration and a 45s CD meaning that it puts stealth on a 45s CD where the warg can't enter stealth (baring Disappear) until that CD is finished.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000011a1c9/signature.png]Feelmybite[/charsig]

I don't mind what they do as long as it means wargs stand a chance against wardens/minis/loremasters/champions. Having better cooldowns on escapes doesn't make a happy player when you actually want to kill stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by apb8808 View Post
    Give wargs whatever, but change Find Footing to Reflect 500% Shadow damage and + 500% damage to beast kind for the duration.
    Yes. Of course. Somehow reflecting 5 times the damage you take makes perfect sense. Because, you know, getting 1/4 of your total morale back, and gaining 50% evade for 30 seconds while it drops daze's, stuns, and knockdowns, is soooo terrible.

*snickers*

On topic: Increase track range to match Hunters. and lower the Rank requirement to, say, 3 and 6. They trait to track stealth, and their range actually goes up, while ours drops to 3/4 of their base range.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

A few things I would like to see changed:

----

Swipe - Since the introduction of Shadow stance, this skill has become virtually useless. Why bother using a skill like Swipe, which can't be evaded but can be blocked or parried, when you can simply use Claws - which does more damage, has 0% chance to be b/p/e, a higher chance to crit, and a 1 second cooldown? (*if you're in Shadow stance)

Proposed Change:
    Make Swipe a 4-target AoE skill. Wargs could use an AoE skill, especially with the new open tapping system.

----

Flayer Bubble - Can this finally get fixed please? It's supposed to heal every 7 seconds if the bubble isn't popped, but some math genius decided to make the cooldown for the overall skill 20 seconds. So that's a heal at 7 seconds, a heal at 14 seconds - then at 20 seconds the skill refreshes, starting back at zero. You never get the final heal which would kick in at 21 seconds, and end up going without a heal for 13 seconds. Irritating.

Proposed Change:
    Increase the overall cooldown of the bubble from 20 to 21 seconds. You get a heal every 7 seconds, problem solved. Or, change the interval from 7 seconds to something that makes sense in a 20 second timeframe, like 4 or 5 seconds, and scale the heals to match.

----

Snap! - I consider this to be a somewhat broken skill. The debuff is great (-10% damage), but the disarm/silence is bugged. It's supposed to activate on critical hits - but the skill itself does NO damage. So how does a skill that does no damage supposed to crit?

From the tooltip (in Shadow stance):
    "On critical hit, your targets pain is so great they cannot speak but to scream for a few seconds."

So the skill causes great pain, but does no actual damage. Makes sense?

Proposed Change:
    Give Snap! a high damage value (~900 damage). Also, add a critical chance modifier for the skill - ie. If the target has "Rend Flesh" applied, Snap! has a +30% chance to crit. Also, make the critical hit disarm while in Shadow stance, and silence while in Flayer. Currently, Flayer wargs can only disarm and Shadow wargs can only silence targets. There's been times when I've wished for a silence ability fighting a Mini in Flayer, and wished for a disarm ability while in Shadow stance - this should fix that.

----

Piercing Claws - This skill needs to be reworked entirely. It was supposed to be 10% damage (as stated in the RoR patch notes), but was nerfed before it ever saw the Live server. 5% damage is terrible on anything except a 20k Guardian or Warden, even if the skill bypasses a freep's mitigation. Audacity and ON buff also reduce the damage of the skill, making the skill practically worthless on a regular freep with 10k health.

Proposed Change:
    Remove the percent based damage and give the skill a flat damage value (~800 damage), but keep the bypass on mitigation.

----

Overall I think the warg is in a good place. No overhaul is needed, just a few tweaks here and there.
    Last edited by stoney530; Dec 31 2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Lockjawz - R13 Warg - Brandywine

I think these are all good suggestions and in line with what is needed. Nothing too extreme, but more to build on more interesting rotations and fixes to underwhelming and outdated skills.

My only comments would be:-

On pack flayer and pack eldar. I think its an option to have a contingency for when pack flayers is broken it leaves an armour debuff on the enemy to offset the escape. Pack eldar could be genuinely enhanced in line with its essence by making it an IP effect for fellowship which confers a reasonable buff to resistance.

Rather than buff crippling bite, crippling bite could be remain 25% but add an additional slow to one the wargs bleeds to make it more useful.

A more exteme boost could be to give wargs a ranged/tactical evade buff skill which shares cooldown with sprint. This could spice up their options to stay and fight vs run away and make them more viable in direct assault, but this might be heavy on hunters.
    Last edited by Oldwiley; Dec 31 2012 at 08:24 AM.
    "Romper: You have the power to make EM less boring for yourself and everyone else. "
    "Look for your lore. But do not trust to lore, it has forsaken these lands." - Eolore prince of Lorehan

you are being very hopeful thinking creeps will actually get ''month of the'' for each class, in an alternate universe scenario if this would be true then they would need to restrict(your suggestion for example) it from the store otherwise the ''progress as you grow'' won't really work if r0's will have the same stuff.
    [IMG]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2637/2q6n.jpg[/IMG]

They should add a stance that is barred from use when the warg is in a group. They could also make the bleeds or whatever not stack at all with the bleeds of other wargs.

Basically, a stance that is designed for soloing. They could call it Lone Wolf or something like that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000022f79e/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]