We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Favourite characters and scenes?

Wasnt entirely sure where to put this...but i was interested in what your favourite characters from all tolkien books, then includes all tomes of history of middle earth, hobbit, lotr, adventures of tom bomnadil...ALL of them and also what your favourite scene/ chapter/ quote is. Was just curious and maby i missed somthing cool out or something ^^ so i'll start :P
    my favourite character is tom bombadil...just coz he's awesome, and i love singing and loughing and being happy...:P and that he actually has nothing to do with the rest of middle earth..just his very own forest and my favourite chapter from the book is actually a trio of chapters.. (yes youre allowed to do that as of now, lol xD) they're all consecutive in the 1st book ''the old forest'' and ''in the house of tom bombadil'' and ''fog on the barrow downs'' looking forward to your responses

Setting aside all the main characters, I always thought Prince Imrahil (the prince of Dol Amroth) was cool and awesome. When he arrives at Gondor with his men is always a part of the books that sends a tingle down my spine.

Quote Originally Posted by danmax67 View Post
    Setting aside all the main characters, I always thought Prince Imrahil (the prince of Dol Amroth) was cool and awesome. When he arrives at Gondor with his men is always a part of the books that sends a tingle down my spine.
    Same! I just wish Jackson would have included him in the movies. I always loved him because it was always neat to see someone outside of the well-known Rohan and Gondor.

I also love when the Grey Company shows up.

And the scene with Faramir and Eowyn falling in love.

And the scene when all of the dwarves arrive at Beorn's house and keep interrupting Gandalf's story.

And probably thousands of other fantastic scenes.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Favorite character is Turin Turambar. He's always on the verge of greatness, trying so hard to do the right thing but the curse of Morgoth on his father's kin finds him every time. He is such a tragic character whom my heart goes out to.
    Favorite scene; hands down it's when Samwise fights off Shelob, "Come on you filth and taste it again".
    Favorite is harder; "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards..." "Deserves it! I daresay he does..." but I think my favorite must be “I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”

Turin of course is at the top of the list.

I also like Glorfindel a lot and wish there was more about him. I just think he can hand out a total &&& kicking.

So many wonderful characters in Tolkien's books, hard to choose which of them is the total favourite. I think I must go with two characters: Círdan the Shipwright and Tom Bombadil! Tom Bombadil because he is such a jolly and cheerful creature who can't feel despair, and Círdan because he is one of the most mysterious characters in the M-E, in my opinion. I don't mind elves much, but Círdan's just so interesting.

My favourite scene is most likely from Silmarillion. Maedhros son of Fëanor has called an union together to attack Morgoth. Dwarves of Belegost fight the dragon father Glaurung, and the dwarven lord Azaghâl - despite his own death - manages to wound Glaurung so gravely that the dragon retreats. I can even see, and hear, the moment when the dwarves pick up their fallen leader as soon as Glaurung flies away, and carry him away in convoy.

"The Dwarves raised up the body of their lord and bore him away; and with slow steps they walked behind singing a dirge in deep voices, as it were a funeral pomp in their country, and gave no heed to their foes; and none dared attack them."
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
    Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
    dark king, your ghastly brazen doors!
    Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
    Come forth, O monstrous craven lord,
    and fight with thine own hand and sword,
    thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
    thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
    thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
    I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'
    Last edited by Haunt123; Dec 26 2012 at 12:58 PM.

I have always been drawn towards the characters, Faenor, Durin the Deathless and Faramir. I don't know why, but every time I read about these characters I want to know more about them.

There are, of course, many characters that have enchanted, bewildered or impressed me, and Tom Bombadil, who is seen by many as their favourite character, is a pretty close second for me. However, there is one character that beats all others hands down for me: Fangorn (or Treebeard), The Shepherd of the Trees. I like things ancient and almighty (which is where Tom Bombadil also comes in), but I kind of dislike the Elves for their way of behaving. I like the dwarfs more in that regard. The ents, however, are the greatest characters to me. They know what is important and what is not, they are never hasty and they have the deepest respect for eachother, all of them.

My favourite scenes therefore are also mostly scenes with Treebeard, especially these three:

- "[...] we are now near the roots of The Last Mountain. Part of the name of this place might be Wellinghall, if it were turned into your language. I like it." ~Treebeard~ (The Two Towers, IV: Treebeard)

- "Sheep get like shepherd, and shepherds like sheep, it is said; but slowly, and neither have long in the world." ~Treebeard~ (The Two Towers, IV: Treebeard)

This one is my ABSOLUTE ALL-TIME FAVOURITE, because it is in my eyes true and cracks me up each time I read it:
    - "For Ents are more like Elves: less interested in themselves than Men are, and better at getting inside other things. And yet again Ents are more like Men, more changeable than Elves are, and quicker at taking the colour of the outside, you might say. Or better than both: for they are steadier and keep their minds on things longer." ~Treebeard~ (The Two Towers, IV: Treebeard)
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

When Gollum fell into the fire and Frodo was free!
    Both book and movie.