We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Confusion on in-game maps

Well after about 6 months of searching I was finally able to find myself a copy of the Silmarillion, and to say the least, it is fantastic. I am about 1/3 of the way through it so far and loving every minute of it, so much so that I might make a timeline of some sorts on a spreadsheet or word document before I have to give it back. In the back of the book, there is a map titled Beleriand and the Lands to the North. Heres where I get confused. Based on the scale and shape of the map in the book, I identified the Ered Luin range, and tried to put it to the map of Middle Earth in LotRO. Well, it doesn't add up. Unless the scale of the map in the Silmarillion is very small compared to the scale of the LotRO ME map, it doesn't fit. If the scales are hugely different, then why does the shape of Beleriand not add up? I do not see how even the scaling could fix the fact that the masses of land are completely differently shaped.

Is this because of the wars in the First Age that changed the shape of the land, like those before with the Valar against Melkor? Or is it just because the map in LotRO isn't accurate?

please do not include any major spoilers about the Silmarillion if you can

It's impossible to explain the reasons for the map differences without giving spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzarellala View Post
    Is this because of the wars in the First Age that changed the shape of the land.......
    I'll only say that the answer to the above question is yes
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Is this because of the wars in the First Age that changed the shape of the land, like those before with the Valar against Melkor? Or is it just because the map in LotRO isn't accurate? please do not include any major spoilers about the Silmarillion if you can
    I was going to say pretty much exactly what Wolfhelm said.
    And congratulations on acquiring The Silmarillion. I saw a post in one thread where the poster complained that the Silmarillion did not have interesting flowing narrative like LotR and was simply stunned. the stories are amazing. I envy you reading it for the first time. I can never experience that again.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

You'll find out the answer as you read Silmarillion yourself! ^^
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    And congratulations on acquiring The Silmarillion. I saw a post in one thread where the poster complained that the Silmarillion did not have interesting flowing narrative like LotR and was simply stunned. the stories are amazing. I envy you reading it for the first time. I can never experience that again.
    Ahh the joy of reading a book for the first time...its one of my favorite things in life . But I have noticed when re-reading books you can catch all of the foreshadowing the author put in, and thats not too bad either.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    But I have noticed when re-reading books you can catch all of the foreshadowing the author put in, and thats not too bad either.
    How right you are.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

[QUOTE=Mozzarellala;6586429]Well after about 6 months of searching I was finally able to find myself a copy of the Silmarillion
    QUOTE]

Very sorry for reviving an old and dead thread... but how did it take so long to find it?! I didnt realise it was an uncommon book, my local Waterstones always seemed to have a copy when Iused to visit....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]