We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vol 1 Book 4 Chapter 8: The Unmarked Trail

Am I missing something on how to complete this istance solo? I can go all the way through to the end with no problem at all until the final battle with Taushakh.

All goes well until I get him down to around 10k hp then he just keeps healing himself back up to 15k and this continues until eventually Legolas dies, I have tried this twice now with the same result with the finla fight going on for over 30 minutes each time, surely this cannot be correct?

Is there something I should be doing to stop him healing? I have been using Stamp when he tries to cast but then when he tries again it has not refreshed abd Bash is hard to keep available for when he tries to heal as well.

I am a 41 Guardian if that helps...

Seems to be a shared problem.

I had this problem as well, but I was a hunter, and legolas didn't die. It kept knocking me backwards, then go back to the start and reset. After going through this multiple times it did eventually die, I just had to keep running backwards and using potions when possible. Sorry I can't be more help!

Big Bad Boss Troll

He heals himself whenever he is under 10k and the heal isn't on cooldown. The heal restores most of his health. If you want to down him INTERRUPT IT! Otherwise you have to deal enough damage to kill him before his heal comes off cooldown (which is much harder).

Re-reading your post--what stance are you in? I'd try overpower since it sounds like you aren't doing enough damage. I don't think the bash stun works on this guy.

I had to spam "The Boot" as a Warden. I found the battle very challenging. I would say interrupt a lot and kill his ads. I think they're what cause him to restart the battle.

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried it in both Overpower and Defensive Stance both came up with the same result, i'll give it another go, I think the big problem is that Legolas goes all stupid and just stands there so I have to keep moving the mob around to make him attack again which is a pain because then the mob gains even more HP.

I wasnt aware that the Bash didnt interupt him so I guess I am just going to have to just use kick and hope for the best.

At least I now know im not going mad At least the XP is good so I may even gain a few levels while trying haha

Same thing here. I am a lvl 42 Warden trying to solo Taushakh. Can't stop him from healing. He ignores The Boot, healing himself all the same... and healing... and healing... for twenty minutes or so, until Legolas eventually dies.
    Can't do more damage, I do it already in Recklessness stance.
    Do I have to level up even more so my kicks hit?
    Last edited by Brandie; Jan 09 2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Hah. A hobbit craves not these things.
    Brandie's LOTRO Links: lotro-links.de

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie View Post
    Same thing here. I am a lvl 42 Warden trying to solo Taushakh. Can't stop him from healing. He ignores The Boot, healing himself all the same... and healing... and healing... for twenty minutes or so, until Legolas eventually dies.
    Can't do more damage, I do it already in Recklessness stance.
    Do I have to level up even more so my kicks hit?
    Be aware that U9 changed how interrupts play out; the interrupt effect is on a lengthier cooldown, so if you spam the Boot, not all of them will proc an interrupt. Assuming you mind the cooldown, every Boot that connects (does 0 or more points of damage) should interrupt without fail.

Caveat: although the troll's heal is interruptable, not every mob's channeled ability is (ie. Urcheron summoning the flame in Sword Halls).

just had the same problem last night, tried it 4 times... do interrupts work on him when he tries to heal? (i did forget to use them on him when he heals)
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

@Zetsubousensei, thanks for your advice. I didn't know that the interrupt effect of Boot and upward is on cooldown. Good to know.

Didn't help though, in this case (not yet ) I tried again taking care not to spam my kicks this time, i.e. not to use anything out of the Spear-Shield line except for kicking heals. All my kicks were blocked. Except twice in the beginning, when Legolas attracted aggro for some seconds. (Not 100% sure about this, could be a coincidence of course.) As long as Taushakh was facing me, he blocked my kicks. So, next time I will kick his &&& him from behind, having Legolas tank and hoping he lives through it.

When you tank him yourself, I suppose you must be able to outdamage his heals. Legolas is no great help as he runs out of power quickly.
    Last edited by Brandie; Jan 09 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Kill the adds first, then stamp his heals as usual. Stick with Overpower stance and pop Catch a Breath whenever you can. It's imperative you keep him aggroed so Legolas doesn't die.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c00000022f5a3/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Solofnarnia
    Kill the adds first, then stamp his heals as usual. Stick with Overpower stance and pop Catch a Breath whenever you can. It's imperative you keep him aggroed so Legolas doesn't die.
    As I said before, Taushakh either blocks or ignores my kicks as long as I tank him. So that's no option.

Remember also that we're talking about soloing this instance (with inspiration buff), so we have no morale or power problems. No need to restore those. It's just the damned interrupts that don't get through. Fight goes on forever, and eventually Legolas dies.

You're right, Legolas also dies when I let him tank. Seems I will have to do some more levels before returning.
    Last edited by Brandie; Jan 09 2013 at 03:48 PM.

I just tried this quest maybe 20 minutes ago on my lvl 45 captain and I'm having the same problem, I eventually just logged out.

I'm wondering if there's a bug, he has the ability Hardened Bark and when I fought him he had multiple (maybe 5) of the Hardened Bark effect on him and from looking at footage of someone soloing him on Youtube he should only have it once.

Took me around 30 minutes with LM. In that time he have reset twice, once he kb my bear and follow him and 2nd time I had to reset him cause Legolas got stuck because of kb.
    I was healing Legolas, so there were no problem of him dieing, and bear was tanking. Problem was that my interrupt has long induction and I couldn't manage to interrupt in right moment. Took some time and just waiting for green circle to manage interrupt and finish fight.
    I think that something is changed, since I don't remember him being that hard when I soloed him on Minstrel. Either that, or because minstrel have fast interrupt on long recharge, I have managed to interrupt him and kill him before he tried to heal again.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000004f6f95/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hi SFN and Cat_Astrophy, thanks for your feedback! It would be nice to know your levels to see if that has anything to do with getting our interrupts through. My interrupt is instant and I did it with quick gambits too, still it did not work.

I saw such a video too, perhaps the same. It was a Lvl 39 hunter who DPS'ed him down quickly.
    Could it be that the bark buff gets a new stack each time Taushakh heals? I didn't watch out for that. In that hunter's case he had no time for that

last night i tried it 3 times again on my hunter, what bugged me the most is that no matter what i did, not even half of the interrupts hit... so he kept healing himself, have done this instance various times on chars before u9 with no problems at all, now i just can't seem to finish him!
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Something has definately changed in that quest. I just finished it on a lvl 40 hunter and he has 6 bark buffs on and kept healing. Maybe 2 of 10 interrupts worked. I have done this quest with every character in the game and never had this kind of problem downing him.

Extremely annoying !
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000006aab7/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Six bark buffs confirmed (no, he didn't reset, they're just there). I tried it again on my lvl 42 warden. No chance, my kicks don't get through. I then tried forgetting about kicks and going all out on damage, but can't do enough.

I also tried smashing his defense with Shield Piercer whenever possible, to no avail. Don't know if it has any effect because, of course, his bark is not a shield in the proper sense. Thought it might work all the same as it reduces blocking, which he does a lot. Does anyone know if Shield Piercer applies to shield-bearers only?

I think that atm the only way to take him down is to outdamage his heals, if you can. I can't. This is truly annoying. I just finished book VI with ease but am unable to get on with IV.
    Last edited by Brandie; Jan 10 2013 at 04:32 PM.

I completed it just now, same character as before the only difference is that I've leveled to level 46 since.

He still had the 6 hardened barks (though I noticed that while they stacked they didn't come on all at once - not sure if they did last time, wasn't paying attention), and I was only able to the use my kick interrupt once (and I'm not even sure if it worked) since the cooldown took too long before he healed again, but somehow I was able to kill him this time and quickly.

Level 42 hunter and can confirm what many above have been reporting. The first interrupt works but then the stacks of hardened bark make it impossible for many of the interrupts to work from that point on. Continuously heals himself until Legolas dies. I do not remember this happening before.

Yep. 42 guardian here. Couldn't kill him, couldn't interrupt the heals with my boot, eventually gave up out of boredom.

Unhappy Cannot kill

Tried about ten times with warden from level 42 to now 46 (!). Last fight got him down to about 100hp, then he healed and blocked my stomp. After that, he got back to about 12000 hp. And Legolas.... R.I.P.

Giving up until this is fixed.

The same thing happened to me when i tried it seems that everyone here is using the inspire ability and soloing the instance i wonder if that is why we cant do it
    I really hope Turbine fixes this stupied glitch

I just gave up myself (well, more like ragequit) on my L42 captain. I could *not* outDPS the heals, and of course captains have no interrupts at this level. I'm very shocked to hear wardens and even hunters having problems, though.

I /bugged it, but since this is old content, and Turbine almost seems to be in a death spiral, I don't expect it to be fixed. I'll come back later when I massively outlevel it and see whether it goes any better.

I tryed this for like 5 times as a champ, i was so close to give up the game cuz of this annoying quest, the problem isnt me, its legolas, facepalm.... I remember that legolas was only in the way, so i did him pretty easy afterwards..

Did this tonight solo (with Legolas) on my 39 champ. When he started healing, I just kept interrupting him when he'd cast it. If you watch him, you'll know when he casts it.

Worked great, finished quest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast