We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

At last, a solution for Moors lags

IMPORTANT: Any credits for this fix should go to the original poster in Landroval PvP forum. Im just copying the original OP because i feel it would be more appropriated to be posted here and will reach more people.

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoFileChapter7 View Post
    I noticed everyone seems to be have a lil lag issues, there is a simple solution to fix it, takes 30 seconds.

Depending on your connection speed( www.speedtest.net ) and if your on an unlimited data connection you can simply move your clients bandwidth connection speed higher then the default, the client is conservative with bandwidth by default as it has to run on many different types of network speeds, many of us now have many Mbps dsl/cable connection nowdays so there isnt as much as a reason to be conservative with bandwidth usage. This is a simple trick to up the default upload/download speed with the server from 120bps to whatever you want. Test your connection at speedtest.net if your unsure of your speed. For example I have a 40Mbps download speed and 5 Mbps Upload with my DSL service therefore 120bps is using less then one percent of my total ISP bandwidth so with a simple change to the userpref file will bring my connection with Turbines servers more in line with my internet speed.
    http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

A file size of 15,000 bytes can also be expressed as *

120,000 .......... bits
    15,000 .......... bytes
    14.6484375 .. kilobytes
    0.0143051147 megabytes
    0.0000139698 gigabytes
    0.0000000136 terabytes

1 megabits
    (informal notation: kilobyte = 1024 bytes)
    bits 1048576
    bytes 131072
    kilobits 1024
    kilobytes 128
    megabits 1
    megabytes 0.125
    gigabits 0.0009765625
    gigabytes 0.0001220703125
    terabytes 1.19209289550781e-07
    petabytes 1.16415321826935e-1

Since your unlikely to be downloading anything large like a torrent while playing you should easliy be able to set it to atleast 10% of your internet speed, as this is just your client to Turbines server speed, I noticed that Turbine's server doesnt seem to send more then 3000bps or upload much more then 1500bps(I.E. maybe their bandwidth limits serverside?) this is more then enough to play LOTRO with Zero lag. Remember there is more then just the internet connection that creates lag too such as your graphics card and CPU and I/O from your hard drive, windows settings,ram, vram and power management features of your hardware also it is recommended to open a port and tell the client to go though that port as seen bellow as close ports can lead to packet loss. Don't worry so much about latency as this is an RPG and doesnt require low latency like an FPS game.

1. Close LOTRO make sure all LOTRO processes are closed

2. Open up Your Document i.e. yourwindowsusername>My Documents>Lord of the Rings Online

3. Open the "User Preferences" text file

4. Scroll til you find ConnectionSpeed= Now by default the max is 120.00 bps that is due to the enigine being old(LOTRO Enigine is the same as AC which came out in 1999 when everyone had dial up.

5. Change the number to a higher one for example 5000.00 would be 5KBps as mostly everyone has cable/DSL with Mbps nowdays
    ((NOTE: You ALWAYS need to put the .00 behind the bps speed or the client will just go back to auto Example: ConnectionSpeed=5000.00 ))

6.Save and close

7.Start LOTRO

As you can now see under Setting>Troubleshoot>Connectio n Speed it now shows custom.
    Also if you have any ports open place the open port UDP/TCP in UserSpecifiedPort= option on user pref right below the speed, enjoy!

~ASHLEEANN
    Before: 120bps UP/120bps down
    Now:

You can monitor your clients bandwidth usage with Windows Resource monitor Start>Accessories>System Tools>Resource Monitor or just Ctrl+Alt+Del>Task manager>Performance tab>Resource Monitor

Under the network tab: The log in client(TurbineLauncher.exe) and lotroclient.exe will be the game after login

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Chieftain Biohazaard - Rank 12 Defiler
    The Witch Kings Seventh Legion - Brandywine

I don't have lag issues, so I won't try it. But if it works, it'd be great if you post another thread in General Discussion, as lag's bad for many in PvEville too.

I did this a few days ago and it definitely seems to be helping a bit. Not a definite solution but I do notice less stuttering and skill lag as before. Haven't had the chance to raid vs raid yet because all the creeps are doing right now is farming hh but we shall see.

I did this and it didn't fix anything. Of course my speed setting was 0.00. I think that is the preferred setting. My guess is 0.00 says use as much as you can. So yes if you look at this file and see 120.00 then you need to change it, but other than that I don't think it's going to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyanarch View Post
    I did this and it didn't fix anything. Of course my speed setting was 0.00. I think that is the preferred setting. My guess is 0.00 says use as much as you can. So yes if you look at this file and see 120.00 then you need to change it, but other than that I don't think it's going to do much.

The default 0.00 settings will allow the engine to choose the connection speed from 1.00 bps up to maximum 120.00 bps. By changing the settings to, lets say 5000 bps, youll allow the server to send more information to your computer (and viceversa) when its needed, duting large fight for exemple.

I personnaly tried it and noticed an improvement when theres plenty of other players around (havent tested raid vs raid yet, due to lack of freeps atm, but thats another story). On iddle, my connection speed status show roughly 400 bps in sending (to lotro) while im receiving average 2300 bps, so that 20 times the previous 120 bps cap. Having 20 times more data coming from LOTRO server at any given time isnt a bad thing for sure.

Kudos for the original poster finding a partial solution.

But it appears to be only a partial solution. While it can increase the bandwidth, making new information come in more rapidly - most noticeable at transition points or when a lot of people are converging on something, it only corrects cases where the lag is caused by the server / client not being able to get / send data fast enough.

It doesn't fix all the slingshotting (or rubber banding, as others call it) issues with mounted combat, or some of the skill delays we've been plagued with in the Moors.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

Cool find how would this work on steam my lotro file there seems different. Steam/steamapps/common/lord of the rings online. Can't find anything about user preferences. And with the best high speed internet what could you max this at, since I saw 15.000.00 on your screen?
    "what matters to me is the thrill of the fight not which side I'm on"

Alright, its now confirmed==> IT DOES FIX MOORS LAGS !!!

On this screenshot, its 24 creeps against 15 freeps and tons of NPCs during a TR fight and im receiving almost 22000 bps instead of the previous 120 bps cap and guess what? ABSOLUTLY NO LAGS, WAS IT MOVEMENT OR SKILLS !!!

Previously, on similar situation, i would have faced average magnitude lags, still playable but it would have been a slide show. Now, by setting the connectionspeed item to 15000.00 as recommended, no lags whatsoever. For the record, my internet connection speed is a cable one, at 20Mbps download and 2Mbps upload.
    Last edited by whitefox1313; Dec 22 2012 at 12:20 AM.

6 Waterbank Road, Menellant, Falathlorn, Meneldor
    I can report this also improved things for me. I only changed it to 5000.00. I know I still have hardware issues, but this solution severely improved loading times when loading the game and zoning, and lag in pvmp fights as well as loading the players into my screen.
    Last edited by Pdt_the_Confused; Dec 22 2012 at 01:26 AM.
    [CENTER]Whitestar Rangers : Meneldor : 7
    Four Horse men of the aPUGalypse : Landroval : 6
    And First of All, [B]Badfinn[/B] : Meneldor : One of the Few Remaining Male Weavers.[/CENTER]

You guys have lag on other servers?

If there is a fix for Brandywine lag please inform us immediatley.

40 freeps vs 70 creeps? 24v15 is hardly a test. We need a server fix methinks. I would be interested to see if it did help though - never know.

i've tried this and seen some improvement but havent tried in a raid setting in the moors.
    i'm going to be trying in a RvR setting this weekend, hopefuly this works well enough that i can enjoy raiding again
    Right now on Landroval there is a MASSIVE chicken run going on, just for fun. http://www.twitch.tv/lotro_abby Things like this are not uncommon...... welcome to the joke that is endgame

Tried this after seeing the post and can confirm it does help. It's not a fix for all the moors lag problems we suffer from since those are obviously server/coding related, but it does seem to help in a 'your mileage may vary' capacity. And hey, if you can create some relief for yourself by adding two zeros to a text file, then take what you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by YesMaam View Post
    You guys have lag on other servers?

If there is a fix for Brandywine lag please inform us immediatley.

40 freeps vs 70 creeps? 24v15 is hardly a test. We need a server fix methinks. I would be interested to see if it did help though - never know.
    Try the fix.

See if you see a difference.

It can't fix server side issues, but it will help with any lag issues that are caused by client bandwidth restrictions.

Caveat: There is still going to be a limit on how much traffic Turbine can push out of their datacenters. I suspect the bandwidth cap was chosen, in part, with that in mind.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

Quote Originally Posted by l4j View Post
    Caveat: There is still going to be a limit on how much traffic Turbine can push out of their datacenters. I suspect the bandwidth cap was chosen, in part, with that in mind.

I agree. But the limitation is absolutly obsolete by todays internet standards. Lets say im playing in Brandywine Moors and theres 120 creeps and freeps out (40 freeps/70 creeps/few solos) and everybody is at receiving cap, 120 bps. Thats 14400 bps total asked to Turbine server to push out. 14k of data in upload. Thats it.

My personnal upload capacity, throught my internet connection, is 2Mbps or 2 000 000 bps. It mean i can provide 139 times the 14k required by Brandywine Moors just by myself. Theres no doubts in my mind that a company the size of Turbine can provide way more throught a business internet connection type.

As for the number of possible simultanious Moors connections, LOTRO servers has been succesfully tested during beta phase north of 3000 per server. Its not the 100 or so in the Moors primetime that will bring the server down (but the hamster powering the server might need a break from time to time, on top of the usual *monday morning maintenance*).

Bottom line ==> Theres plenty of available bandwith from lotro, thats garanteed.
    Last edited by whitefox1313; Dec 22 2012 at 01:08 PM.

With all due respect to everyone who contributed to this thread, this fix does not, cannot, and never will work.

Packets are sent to YOU by the server. Your pipe width has no say in how much is sent to you, nor how long it takes to send. The packets that YOU send to the server are not affected by this in any way.

I strongly recommend leaving it at Auto, for varied reasons.

If you don't belive me - open a packet monitor and look for yourselves.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy
    Hithdraug - Former Suicidal Warg Squad

If I had a penny for every child I ran over - I could maybe afford car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrarg View Post
    With all due respect to everyone who contributed to this thread, this fix does not, cannot, and never will work.

Packets are sent to YOU by the server. Your pipe width has no say in how much is sent to you, nor how long it takes to send. The packets that YOU send to the server are not affected by this in any way.

I strongly recommend leaving it at Auto, for varied reasons.

If you don't belive me - open a packet monitor and look for yourselves.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy
    You do realize that it has improved some users' performance, right? It definitely improved my performance. Why would you suggest people leave it at auto and deal with extra lag that makes the game less fun? You must work for Turbine (;

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox1313 View Post
    I agree. But the limitation is absolutly obsolete by todays internet standards. Lets say im playing in Brandywine Moors and theres 120 creeps and freeps out (40 freeps/70 creeps/few solos) and everybody is at receiving cap, 120 bps. Thats 14400 bps total asked to Turbine server to push out. 14k of data in upload. Thats it.
    I changed my user setting to 3000.00 and just doing groups/raids in PvE land I've seen my received go past 17,000 BPS. I bumped it up to 10000.00 before I logged on today so maybe I'll go to the Moors tonight when raids are happening and see how high I can get my received. I haven't done large raid vs raid in the Moors but I imagine that number could go much higher and yeah it sucks that 'automatic' actually limits what the client sends.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyloo22546 View Post
    You do realize that it has improved some users' performance, right? It definitely improved my performance. Why would you suggest people leave it at auto and deal with extra lag that makes the game less fun? You must work for Turbine (;
    No - I don''t work for Turbine.

The improved performance you notice is an artefact. Please, please look at what your network monitor says, and base your results on that.

If you don't have a network monitor, there are plenty of free ones, and I can honestly reccomend the Microsoft one.

I don't work for them either. Until you can actually see whats going on, everything is anecdotal. Please, see for yourself.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy

If I had a penny for every child I ran over - I could maybe afford car insurance

It's not a placebo effect. It really does give me noticeable improvement by changing that one setting. I experience much less stuttering in game. It isn't perfect but it has been 10x better than previously for myself.

No - I don''t work for Turbine.

The improved performance you notice is an artefact. Please, please look at what your network monitor says, and base your results on that.

If you don't have a network monitor, there are plenty of free ones, and I can honestly reccomend the Microsoft one.

I don't work for them either. Until you can actually see whats going on, everything is anecdotal. Please, see for yourself.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy
    I tried it thrice, and twice on my desktop. Each time I saw my performance increase and my fps to jump by 5-10. But maybe I'm just seeing things.

Your UDP stack increases your FPS?

Oh please.

Look at what your machine is actually doing - monitor the network interface. Until someone can come back with meaningful numbers that show an actual increase in throughput, or a decrease in latency - I still call BS on the whole thing.

I run a 16Gb i7 HT quad, Lotro runs off a RAMdisk and it has it's own dedicated NIC. I monitor everything. The tweak does not work for me - it might do so for you, but I cannot find any hard evidence for that.

Still, if it makes you happy, then tweak away

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy

No offence taken. Forums are a place for debate and arguing. Lets break down your arguements and see where we are going with this.

Packets are sent to YOU by the server.
    Agreed. And viceversa.

Your pipe width has no say in how much is sent to you
    False. If the setting in my LOTRO client is set to a certain value (in this case 120 bps), i may have the best internet connection in the world but there wont be more data sent or received because my client force a (software) limitation with my traffic between my computer and game server.

, nor how long it takes to send.
    Agreed. The speed (miliseconds) required to hit the LOTRO servers wont be affected by this change, only the amount of packets sent/received by seconds.

The packets that YOU send to the server are not affected by this in any way.
    False. The limitation in my LOTRO client forbid it to send more than the software limitation, which is 120 bps. After changing the value in my client, im now sending 4 times more packets to LOTRO, about 400 bps average.
    Last edited by whitefox1313; Dec 23 2012 at 09:36 AM.

Bio my freind, I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

Have a look at a capture.

Client settings at Auto. Says it all really.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy

Translated into Lotro Client - it gives this.

Love & Hugs

Fluffy Hithy

Bio my friend, I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

Have a look at a capture.
    Im not sure how to interpret this capture, since im not familiar with this tool. I can only say for sure that since your IP destination adress is a 192.168.x.x, you are using a routeur. But take a look at mine, where my LOTRO connection status is displayed (bottom right) and explain to me why those values have jumped to the sky after the value change?

Like i said in my previous post, during a similar situation (raid vs raid with tons of NPCs around), it would have been very laggy for me but still playable but now, after the change, theres absolutly no lags whatsoever, is it for movement or skills lauch.

So please do me a favor Hithy. next times theres raid vs raid action on Landroval, try to set your value to 15000 and play for a while and come back to me with the result. Alright?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast