We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Venus? Oh, you mean Earendil the Mariner

Do any of you sometimes pretend the events in Tolkien's legendarium actually happened? That the Sun gives us the light of Laurelin, and the Moon gives that of Teleprion? That the stars were made by Varda? That some of the trees are sleeping Ents?

You may think I'm taking the books a bit too seriously, but let me explain a bit.

I am an atheist (slightly agnostic) (and I deeply respect other people's beliefs, so let's not make this a discussion about faith).
    I was once asked by a friend of mine if I was afraid of nothingness after death. I laughingly replied, "Nothingess? No, when dying, I'll be thinking about how I will reach the Halls of Mandos". And I actually intend to do that, a funny way to avoid the fear of death.

Then I thought more about that, and the next time I went to the beach, I thought about how the sounds of the water were echoes of the Ainulindale. And then the sea got a lot more interesting as I pretended Ulmo was in it, and maybe I could spot Meneltarma of Numenor if I stared long enough at the horizon.

I know I may sound like a freak, but it feels really amazing when I pretend I am in what became of Middle-Earth, and Dagor Dagorath may come one day (though I don't actually believe it). Just wondering if anyone else does that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt123 View Post
    Do any of you sometimes pretend the events in Tolkien's legendarium actually happened? That the Sun gives us the light of Laurelin, and the Moon gives that of Teleprion? That the stars were made by Varda? That some of the trees are sleeping Ents?
    What do you mean "pretend"?
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

I think believing in one fairy tale to give you comfort in the face of your own mortality is as good as belief in any other fairy tale.
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

so let's not make this a discussion about faith
    I reckon it's rather silly to make a thread like this and expect it not to happen...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I reckon it's rather silly to make a thread like this and expect it not to happen...
    What I meant by that was to not make it a thread about why Atheism is wrong or Christianity is wrong or x religion is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    What do you mean "pretend"?
    lol

What I meant by that was to not make it a thread about why Atheism is wrong or Christianity is wrong or x religion is wrong.
    Ah very well then. If you mean strictly do I love to get caught up in the world Tolkien created then yes...yes it is just too much fun. Sadly I am a little too tall for a hobbit, too short for an average man, and not wide or bearded enough for a dwarf of Middle-Earth. I do share hobbits love of pie though. Mmmm pie...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I am honestly a vivid fan of religion in general. I study the stories and histories of many religions, simply because they make FANTASTIC stories (yes, like LotR, except one of these might actually have happened) and give you great insight in different cultures and the major similarities and differences between them. I don't really know what to believe though, so right now I am still an atheist (as said, with due respect for EVERY religion and belief). If I were almighty and I could choose what story would be the real history of the creation of everything, I would go for Tolkien's mythology hands down!

(By the way, I have one friend who thinks like you do, and he says: "If The Bible is a holy book of the creation and evolution of the Earth and the peoples, why can't The Silmarillion be?" He kind of has a point, it has the same basic setup...
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Sometimes, I do "pretend", but it always makes me sad. Whatever I think of, it becomes shame of what was once, and what is now. It makes me angry to live in the "wrong" Age.
    Last edited by Andunion; Feb 02 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Then I thought more about that, and the next time I went to the beach, I thought about how the sounds of the water were echoes of the Ainulindale. And then the sea got a lot more interesting as I pretended Ulmo was in it, and maybe I could spot Meneltarma of Numenor if I stared long enough at the horizon.

I know I may sound like a freak, but it feels really amazing when I pretend I am in what became of Middle-Earth, and Dagor Dagorath may come one day (though I don't actually believe it). Just wondering if anyone else does that sometimes.
    Wait, I'm not the only person to does that?
    The only impossibility is the possibility of impossibilities -Me

I sometimes like to pretend that I am this corporeal being that people have tried to convince me that I am. But it is now a hard idea to perpetuate for very long. It was much easier to do so when I was young.