We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to Lotro. Trying to choose between Captain and Guardian. Help

I just started lotro a few days ago and due to internet and servers being down I am only able to start playing tonight. I plan to play this game long term until Elder Scrolls launches so I'm looking for a character I can invest lots of time into. I have interest in both the Captain and Guardian class and I do plan to play both just not simultaneously. I've been searching through forums and random threads trying to figure out which is best for me. I am a long time MMO player with most of my history being an Arms/Prot warrior on WoW. I feel like it's a good time for a change of pace but I don't want to change my style to drastically, so Captain is interesting. I'm really not sure how Captains play but if I were to play the Guardian I would probably veer into Overpower Stance most of the time.

I enjoy 2h weapons and their playstyles, is Captain a decent choice for me?
    How does the Captain compare on a dps level to Guardian?
    Am I wanted in groups as much as a Captain as I would be as a Guardian?
    How is the solo experience as a Captain?
    This is a relative question but why is Captain more fun than Guardian?
    Being a hybrid does the Captain actually help out a lot? In my experience hybrids just kind of blow to have around.

I know the majority of these question's answers are opinions but I would like to hear from the Captains of Lotro.

Both use 2handers, captains can block with a 2 hand.

It doesn't, our dps is bottom of the barrel among classes, guards are just below a dps class.

Both are wanted equally in a PvE group, in PvP a captain is more wanted by far.

In PvP we are at the bottom solo, in pve we are also unremarkable while solo.

Never played a guardian, but a captain will keep you on your toes, there are so many things to maintain and do constantly it will never get boring.

Being a hybrid does the Captain actually help out a lot? In my experience hybrids just kind of blow to have around.
    Well there is truth to that, only we blow solo, but we are absolutely amazing in a group...well the group becomes amazing not us.

A guard is a better tank and a better dps than a captain, but we are better healers than guardians.
    Last edited by Armitas; Dec 19 2012 at 08:11 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    Both use 2handers, captains can block with a 2 hand.

It doesn't, our dps is bottom of the barrel among classes, guards are just below a dps class.

Both are wanted equally in a PvE group, in PvP a captain is more wanted by far.

In PvP we are at the bottom solo, in pve we are also unremarkable while solo.

Never played a guardian, but a captain will keep you on your toes, there are so many things to maintain and do constantly it will never get boring.

Well there is truth to that, only we blow solo, but we are absolutely amazing in a group...well the group becomes amazing not us.

A guard is a better tank and a better dps than a captain, but we are better healers than guardians.
    Well honestly this just makes my decision even tougher. Captain seems perfect for what I want to do in an MMO but being at the bottom of the barrel in dps just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turonir View Post
    Yes. Captains primarily use 2-handed weapons. You may use 1-handed weapons with a shield, but it isn't usually recommended due to this setup's cellar dps.

It depends on the situation. When each class is geared and traited for dps, the Guardian is superior at dealing damage. Most of the time in groups, however, the guardian is geared for tanking and will not do much dps at all. Captains usually run with high might, and the Lead the Charge build which gives you your highest dps is a good choice for much of the game's content.

Captains are usually wanted. Most groups want 1 captain in a 6-man fellowship, or 2 for a 12-man raid. PvP raids also will also ask for more captains.

I find it pretty fun. You will be good at surviving, and you should have little downtime between fights. Your total dps isn't so great, but it's good enough to get the job done.

I'm not totally sure. Their playstyles are very different. Guardians mostly concentrate on the mobs and keeping aggro. Captains have to scan everything during fights and adjust to circumstances and use their array of skills (e.g. damage prevention buffs when someone is about to get smacked, taunts to get mobs off the healer, heals to help the main healer stay on top of things, etc).

Yes. Captains have some unique skills that compensate for their lack of optimality in one of the primary class dimensions (heals, dps, tanking). Their group buffs make the rest of the fellowship do more total dps than just adding a dps class in their place.

Well honestly this just makes my decision even tougher. Captain seems perfect for what I want to do in an MMO but being at the bottom of the barrel in dps just sucks.
    Captains are the lowest dps class, but it isn't really that important. You aren't competing with the champion's dps, you are adding to it. (With the caveat that this does indeed suck when you are solo.)
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Maybe this little tidbit will help you decide. Guardians may do more DPS, but you will almost never be in Overpower in a group setting during end-game. You'll be tanking 99% of the time. If you're interested in group play and don't want to tank, you're definitely going to want the captain over a guardian.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Talking The end

Go captain, we get a ghost as a pet. Nuff said.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000052fac/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Guard because you can be a hobbit. Still waiting on the hobbit captain possibility.

While guard is my main I did play my cappy a lot during ROI so I know a bit about both classes. For me the question is not about which class is better or more fun. It is simply do you want to tank or not. For group play you will be tanking 99% of the time as a guard. Both classes are awesome and I have fun when I play either one.

The solo experience with Captain is not as good, in my opinion as that of guard. I am able to run into any situation grab as many mobs as I can see and beat them down. Captain lacks the AOE to do the same. So while you definitely kill a single mob faster on captain, guards ability to fight 8 or 9 at a time makes leveling easier.

The hybrid nature of the captain is not an issue at all in large groups. It might come into play in 3 man content though. I have main healed 3 mans. I have been the DPS in 3 mans. I have very rarely tanked in 3 mans. Cappy healing is great. DPS is adequate. And I cannot speak to cappy tanking as I have so little experience doing it. The buffs that cappy bring to the table outshine any inadequacies that it has in a given role. They just plain make the group better.

So I guess from my perspective, the only relevant question is do you want to tank in group content. If so then go guard. Otherwise go cappy.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/nalv.jpg/][IMG]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7739/nalv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Roll one of each, and decide from your own experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    This. I have my Cappy, Guard, and Hunter capped at 85 now, and I have a Burg, Champ, and Warden sitting at 50-60, and of all of them maybe only the Warden compares in the fun factor of having to always be on your toes. Though we're not amazing at one thing, we do do a LOT of things, and each action specifically helps the group in special ways, whether it be DPS increase, healing, buffing, etc. I almost never find myself getting bored from repetitive button mashing while playing my Cappy - not sure I can honestly say that about my other alts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001b20/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I picked up captain after enjoying by guard alt.

...if I were to play the Guardian I would probably veer into Overpower Stance most of the time.
    No, no you wouldn't. You'd use it solo a bunch though.

If not tanking.

Although many will say captain DPS is bottom of the barrel, it isn't bad unless you trait away from DPS. However a guard CAN do more DPS were a guard in overpower, but a guard is rarely in that condition, and is never expected to bring DPS to the table. If you want to be contributing damage to a group, go with captain.

Nope. Every group needs a tank. Most people don't perceive captains as main tanks, but off tanks. Most captains are known to heal rather than tank. So most consider captain a support class, putting them in there with burgs, minstrels, and lore-masters.

I found my captain leveling was dynamic and involved, while my guard was same-old, same-old. (Note, this was before guard over-power was enhanced.)

It's not at all, guard is more fun for me. Burg is more fun for me. Guard is a class you really have to be on your toes, you have to be aware of everything going on around, and you take the lead resolving every issue. The tank tends to be the foundation of a group. But it's not a support class. If you talk about the support role, then let's compare apples to apples. A burg has high DPS, but is responsible for buffs/debuffs and CC. A burg dynamically during battle decides whether to provide crit buffs, or defense buffs, all the while boosting the entire groups damage output. A captain is more limited, before the fight, they can apply buffs or debuffs, but then there isn't time to change them. Basically a captain is "set it and forget it", while other classes have to react to conditions of the fight constantly.

In this game, hybrids do help a lot. Captains can function as main healers. Captains may function as main tanks. The only thing they don't have much of is CC. Although their personal DPS isn't top tier, they temporarily boost the group's DPS significantly, so remain desired for DPS races.

I know the majority of these question's answers are opinions but I would like to hear from the Captains of Lotro.
    Hope this helps, put together all the different perspectives and you'll hopefully find the nuggets that speak to you!

I'd recommend, since the game lets you make as many characters on different servers as you want, try them both out. You'll quickly see which you log in to play more.

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

I'm a Guard, but I thought I'd throw in my 0.02 - feel free to throw it out at will!

You can run with a 2h weapon with a Guard - especially desirable in OverPower. OP increases Guard DPS and it's pretty fun to go slashing around with a 2H weapon. That said, I love the shield skills. And now we can do a 1h and shield in OP as well.

Captains are bottom of the pile for dps. Guards are higher, but not much. You'll get better dps traited in the red line (keen blade) and in the OP stance. I haven't run in OP since RoR came out, but dps is supposed to be better than it was. Captains are still the lowest dps class in game.

I see calls for tanks in the LFF channel on my server ALL THE TIME. That said, most groups aren't going to consider a Captain a tank. Off-tank maybe. But by tank they are mostly looking for Guards or Wardens who know what they are doing. I don't see nearly as many calls for Captains, but keep in mind that I'm usually looking for calls for Guards (what I play) and Minis (my husband's current main). Still, most groups need a tank so Guards are bound to be in demand.

My husband has been leveling a Captain on and off (I have a super super low level Captain) and he's played all the classes (he's an alt-o-holic) and he finds it pretty grindy and boring. It's more fun to duo or group since that is where the Captain's skills really come into play. Otherwise, not much fun.

Being a tanking Guard is pretty fun imho. I love running in and grabbing all the mobs and taking a beating while the folks I'm running with kill them one by one. It's challenging to grab and hold aggro against high dps toons - esp. if they out level you. But it is all going to depend on what you like about playing. I enjoy seeing how much my Guard can take. How good am I at holding aggro? If the other folks start to wipe can I stay standing until they rez and come back? I may not make a lot of the actual kills, but I keep my group from taking too much damage too fast. You may find that you enjoy being a support class more. That you like to be able to heal and provide a different kind of assistance.

Sure! But like I said, there are numerous support classes in the game. There is only one pure tank - the Guard - and one other decent tank - the Warden. Champs and Captains have been known to off-tank - but there isn't as much call for that role and you really really have to know your stuff. I think if you're looking for a lot of grouping opportunity, a tank may be the way to go. If you're looking to play a more varied role - go with a Captain.

If you really want to get a feel for the classes - role one of each and see which you enjoy more. Most classes really start to shine around level 20 or so and that's easily attainable in a relatively short period of time. If you don't like one - make it a crafting/storage alt and roll the other one to level cap. Have fun whatever you chose to play.
    Last edited by keeker_ks; Dec 20 2012 at 07:13 PM.
    At home on Nimrodel for 4 years.
    Hadleighy/champ/100 (main), Brynnraen/guard/100 (retired main) , Zarefina/mini/100 (solo), Hazriel/LM/88, Rachlarien/RK/83, Brynreign/Beorn/71, Rudbekia/burg/34, Aysawen/capt/36, Haddley/hunter/16