We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LOTRO will not launch

Specs:

GPU: MSI 6870 HAWK Edition
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    RAM: 8 GB DDR2

Problem:

I haven't been able to get the game to run for the past month or so. Every time I launch the game it stays at a black screen for eternity. I've reinstalled the game multiple times, cleaned my registry, reinstalled my GPU drivers, rolled back my GPU drivers and even tried repairing my game install and resetting the graphic options in the launcher but nothing has worked.

Is there a known problem with AMD video drivers that makes the game unplayable? I wanted to give LOTRO another try but this is making it literally impossible to play.

I tried a regular install and a Steam install, same problem on both. It launches to a black screen and then says "not responding" until I shut it down with the task manager.

I'm on AMD Catalyst 12.10 from a few months ago. Has LOTRO still not been updated to be compatible?

Install .net framework 1.1 and its service pack. You will have to hunt around a bit to find out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
    Install .net framework 1.1 and its service pack. You will have to hunt around a bit to find out how.
    I tried that already and it says it's already installed. I reinstalled just to be safe but it still didn't work.

This game worked perfectly for me until the Rohan expansion, now I can't even launch the game.

I've been having almost the same problem! After Rohan, I noticed that black screen was taking quite a while to get past (after the Game Launcher chooses the server and before I get to the WB animation). But now I don't even get to the black screen! I submitted a ticket with support, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I tried all the fixes in the auto-reply email - clean boot, reinstalling .NET framework and the hotfix to it, using the Game Launcher in compact mode - nada. Nothing works. I'm putting off uninstalling and re-installing the game as long as I can, especially cause that takes forever. I want to play!!!!!!!
    lvl 100 r7 Guardian | 78 Mini | 61 Hunter | Lukiluk - r9 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Do you run some sort of anti-virus/firewall/internet security combination program? Perhaps that is blocking LOTRO. Temporarily disable it and see if LOTRO works for you.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Do you run some sort of anti-virus/firewall/internet security combination program? Perhaps that is blocking LOTRO. Temporarily disable it and see if LOTRO works for you.
    I'm only running Trend Micro and Windows Firewall, both of which have exceptions for LOTRO. I've also been using this combination for years and never had a problem with LOTRO until Rohan.

Well, I know you've said that you've tried the Graphics Reset via the launcher but perhaps try this:

Rename the UserPreferences.ini file that is in your Documents\Lord of the Rings Online\ folder to something like UserPreferences-Disabled.ini.

Then try loading LOTRO. All the settings contained in there will be saved if you ever want them back. You just have to rename the file back to its original filename.

Anyhow, give that a shot and see if LOTRO loads for you again.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Well, I know you've said that you've tried the Graphics Reset via the launcher but perhaps try this:

Rename the UserPreferences.ini file that is in your Documents\Lord of the Rings Online\ folder to something like UserPreferences-Disabled.ini.

Then try loading LOTRO. All the settings contained in there will be saved if you ever want them back. You just have to rename the file back to its original filename.

Anyhow, give that a shot and see if LOTRO loads for you again.
    I actually deleted that file completely before you suggested it, hoping the game would reload any corrupt settings. Nothing changed, still hangs at a black screen.

Well I've tried everything in this thread and nothing works.

I'm really at a loss here. I want to get back into Middle-Earth but since Rohan came out the launcher simply won't let me.

I'm having the exact same problem. Over the past couple of days, I've done everything i can think of to get this to launch. completely blown as what the problem is. Really want to get back into game after a few months away.

Turbine ? ? ?

Launcher stuck at Opening main form message. 8:13PM Pacific.

I have not had any problems launching the game until now. I was on earlier with no problem and logged out @6:45PM Pacific. Exit was normal.

So, far I've tried twice with it stuck at the same spot.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Getsumor View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem. Over the past couple of days, I've done everything i can think of to get this to launch. completely blown as what the problem is. Really want to get back into game after a few months away.

Turbine ? ? ?
    I don't understand how it broke all of a sudden when I've changed nothing about my setup. Exact same hardware, drivers, software settings and everything as the last time I successfully ran the game.

i've installed both the latest Hi-Rez clients from here AND steam. And still with all the fiddling about afterwards, the launcher will not start. It would be nice if turbine would do some sort of offline patch from the latest download to update.

fwiw my problem "self fixed" after about 20 min. I changed nothing.

also in the fwiw category that maybe of help to the others.

Some time back during beta testing my graphics got splintched. I had 1/2 the world rending and the other half empty (nada nothing). Close up things were ok. Very far it was OK too. But the middle distance did not render.

eg: I could see weathertop fine from near Ost Guruth. I could stand on weathertop and things were ok. But if I was down at Canadaith's camp, I could see the ruins on weathertop but not the hill underneath. [It was actually a pretty kewl effect]

During my frantic attempts to figure out why? I determined that there are some settings, especially graphics ones that are only set once at the very initial install start up of the game. While later, if you change your settings, the normal course is that those setting change too but these special ones are not affected by the change.

No matter how I changed the in-game Ctrl-O graphics options I still had floating trees and nothing in the mid-range under them. Reset, reinstall etc etc I even replaced the graphics card. Still nothing fixed it.

I have multiple accounts on the PC so I logged in on a second PC account (not a lotro account one on the pc windows 7x64) and everything rendered just fine. So the PC was good but the settings were bad.

iirc the fix was to backup the Lord of the Rings Directory [C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Th e Lord of the Rings Online] and remove it completely (delete). I also did a pass thru the registry for the account and checked what was there too, iirc I didn't have to do anything there. Then I opened the launcher and and selected the option to repair from the drop down arrows. The missing directory was recreated and the "phantom setting" was changed in the graphics card. All the graphics returned to normal.

Next, I restored my personal settings (/music and keybinds etc).

Of course I /bugged this in detail.

Perhaps this will be a clue for the other problems folks are having.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

appreciate what help you are offering. But the fact is I don t have any sort of config to mess with yet, as the initial install is not complete yet. the launcher needs to work to get the updates to even start the game for the first time

I've been having the same issue, it started when I tried to log in last night to finish up my Hytbold stuff and try to squeeze in a second snowball fight. Right after the server selection page, everything seemed to be going fine, cursor changed like everything was smooth and then the client stops working. Tried some of the fixes in this and other threads but still getting the same problem. Then I figured that a clean install would not be a bad thing after about two years. Now the same thing is happening with the install client. It works for about 10-15 minutes and then stops. I guess the good news is that it saves the progress so I am slowly getting there but I fear that the install will be all kinds of messed up now. Plus it looks like the original problem is still there. Any advice?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000000012b/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

still nothing from me. I just finished installing the standard client.(Thats both now). Same thing....Finishes installing the disks. But goes no further to updates. Again clicking launcher for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    I've been having almost the same problem! After Rohan, I noticed that black screen was taking quite a while to get past (after the Game Launcher chooses the server and before I get to the WB animation). But now I don't even get to the black screen! I submitted a ticket with support, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I tried all the fixes in the auto-reply email - clean boot, reinstalling .NET framework and the hotfix to it, using the Game Launcher in compact mode - nada. Nothing works. I'm putting off uninstalling and re-installing the game as long as I can, especially cause that takes forever. I want to play!!!!!!!
    I'm having almost the same issue. I don't get a black screen, it just crashes after choosing server. It worked fine before the last update to the game. I don't have much time to play at present so I'm not stressing over it, but hope they fix it ASAP. I have 64bit win7 and 8gb ram fwiw
    [LEFT][I]O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!
    [/I][IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8mqur.jpg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Doronlas View Post
    I'm having almost the same issue. I don't get a black screen, it just crashes after choosing server. It worked fine before the last update to the game. I don't have much time to play at present so I'm not stressing over it, but hope they fix it ASAP. I have 64bit win7 and 8gb ram fwiw
    I got it working again! Check your computer for updates - I had to update my video driver. Also, I did the whole renaming the UserPreferences file. Not sure which one did the trick, but the two together got me in and happy.
    lvl 100 r7 Guardian | 78 Mini | 61 Hunter | Lukiluk - r9 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Quote Originally Posted by frood42 View Post
    I've been having the same issue, it started when I tried to log in last night to finish up my Hytbold stuff and try to squeeze in a second snowball fight. Right after the server selection page, everything seemed to be going fine, cursor changed like everything was smooth and then the client stops working. Tried some of the fixes in this and other threads but still getting the same problem. Then I figured that a clean install would not be a bad thing after about two years. Now the same thing is happening with the install client. It works for about 10-15 minutes and then stops. I guess the good news is that it saves the progress so I am slowly getting there but I fear that the install will be all kinds of messed up now. Plus it looks like the original problem is still there. Any advice?

Well, I am back in the game, at long last. It's a YuleGrind miracle!! I was right about the first re-install mentioned above. It was hopelessly corrupt. So next, I tried to use my old Moria discs for the install. That one was corrupted too but I powered through and got the dreaded 201 error. Then I tried a link I found elsewhere on the forum to an old fileplanet download of the standard client. Guess what.... Corrupt!!

Then I says to myself.."Throsty, I says, why don't you try Steam, that might work." So I download the entire client yet again, wait for it to patch and at the last moment, it stops. I restart it and what do I find?? Yes, this error... "Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server " Oh how I laughed.... Looked this one up on the forum and started trying the fixes. What eventually worked was changing the hires .dat files to .old. Back in the game and looks like I may get my warsteed cosmetics after all. Huzzah!!

My journey, much like this post, was long but I arrived there in the end. I hope my trials help someone. Happy Merry to you all!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000000012b/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    I got it working again! Check your computer for updates - I had to update my video driver. Also, I did the whole renaming the UserPreferences file. Not sure which one did the trick, but the two together got me in and happy.
    thanks! renaming userpreferences did it
    [LEFT][I]O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!
    [/I][IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8mqur.jpg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by frood42 View Post
    Well, I am back in the game, at long last. It's a YuleGrind miracle!! I was right about the first re-install mentioned above. It was hopelessly corrupt. So next, I tried to use my old Moria discs for the install. That one was corrupted too but I powered through and got the dreaded 201 error. Then I tried a link I found elsewhere on the forum to an old fileplanet download of the standard client. Guess what.... Corrupt!!

Then I says to myself.."Throsty, I says, why don't you try Steam, that might work." So I download the entire client yet again, wait for it to patch and at the last moment, it stops. I restart it and what do I find?? Yes, this error... "Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server " Oh how I laughed.... Looked this one up on the forum and started trying the fixes. What eventually worked was changing the hires .dat files to .old. Back in the game and looks like I may get my warsteed cosmetics after all. Huzzah!!

My journey, much like this post, was long but I arrived there in the end. I hope my trials help someone. Happy Merry to you all!!
    I'm glad everyone else is having success, but I'm still not getting in. I've tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothing has helped.

EDIT: Actually now I'm getting Error 105 which is at least better than before when I wouldn't get any message whatsoever.
    Last edited by AthalwulfWhitehood; Dec 25 2012 at 09:06 PM.

I think I might have found my problem. LOTRO is not creating a userpreferences.ini file for me.

Does anyone want to send theirs to me so I can manually change it and get into the game for once?

you sure your looking in the correct place ?
    (my)documents\the lord of the rings online

if lotro is not creating the file there could be a good reason
    check (my)documents\the lord of the rings online folder is not read only

although its not likely to be the case check you have permission to write to the "the lord of the rings online" folder, you could even go as far as adding your windows logon name as full control of the folder and all child objects from this folder.
    you could test you have permissions to create\modify files by creating a blank file then editing and saving it. if you create edit and save then your problem is not likely to be permissions based

another possibility is your antivirus or software firewall could be preventing lotro creating and\or modifying files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast