We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which? LOTRO Mac Client Beta or Steam Mac Client

Is there any reason to use the Steam client over the native Mac client. Or vice versa? I've downloaded the Steam client and played it, but it seems a little weird to have to login to Steam when I could play natively. Has anyone had experience with both or possibly knows of some key differences between them?

Quote Originally Posted by francois830 View Post
    Is there any reason to use the Steam client over the native Mac client. Or vice versa? I've downloaded the Steam client and played it, but it seems a little weird to have to login to Steam when I could play natively. Has anyone had experience with both or possibly knows of some key differences between them?
    Yes... I did some testing of the Steam release.
    No reason to use Steam, the two clients are identical.
    Only the opening "Thank you" graphic is different. (Steam/Valve must generate an overlay on the fly, as the "Mainform.png" files in the download are identical.) And except for the fact that the Steam download was downloading BOTH the Windows and Mac Clients, hence the download was 30GB instead of the 20GB from Turbine. Hopefully they have fixed that now. I haven't checked.)

All patching, updateing, authentication, etc. is done by Turbine. (The Steam login has no relationship to the LOTRO client.)
    Steam (Valve) is only providing an alternative download mechanism (for both the Windows and Mac CLients) like Pando and "Happy Cloud" provide for the Windows client.

The only difference between the two is that you get harassed by Steam "friends" when you log in ... and you can (if you care) keep a record of how much you play. I have no experience with Steam's voice-chat server as my Kin uses "Mumble," but it is claimed to be superior to LOTRO's in-game voice-chat capabilities, but inferior to Team Speak. If you use Steam for other games, then it makes sense to play LOTRO from it, but otherwise, there is no benefit that I see... just another program to eat up memory and cpu cycles.

(My kin did some research and testing on the various options, and after having used Ventrillo(Vent) for years, switched to Mumble last Spring. Folks felt the voice quality and controls in Mumble were superior to those available from the other sources. Both Mumble and Ventrillo have native Mac Clients.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Only the opening "Thank you" graphic is different. (Steam/Valve must generate an overlay on the fly, as the "Mainform.png" files in the download are identical.) And except for the fact that the Steam download was downloading BOTH the Windows and Mac Clients, hence the download was 30GB instead of the 20GB from Turbine. Hopefully they have fixed that now. I haven't checked.)

All patching, updateing, authentication, etc. is done by Turbine. (The Steam login has no relationship to the LOTRO client.)
    Steam (Valve) is only providing an alternative download mechanism (for both the Windows and Mac CLients) like Pando and "Happy Cloud" provide for the Windows client.

The only difference between the two is that you get harassed by Steam "friends" when you log in ... and you can (if you care) keep a record of how much you play. I have no experience with Steam's voice-chat server as my Kin uses "Mumble," but it is claimed to be superior to LOTRO's in-game voice-chat capabilities, but inferior to Team Speak. If you use Steam for other games, then it makes sense to play LOTRO from it, but otherwise, there is no benefit that I see... just another program to eat up memory and cpu cycles.

(My kin did some research and testing on the various options, and after having used Ventrillo(Vent) for years, switched to Mumble last Spring. Folks felt the voice quality and controls in Mumble were superior to those available from the other sources. Both Mumble and Ventrillo have native Mac Clients.)
    Thanks for the great information on this. I downloaded the native beta client last night and I'm installing it now. I don't need Steam to be running the whole time I'm playing LOTRO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    You mean to say you don't read all my posts each day!

Posted a few days ago that the Steam Mac client download is now fixed size wise. In fact it is a slightly smaller download size than direct (not sure why) Not sure if was updated for Update 9 or they just let it update from the same client version.

Steam is a useful option for those with slower or less reliable connections (that can be those with very fast connections BTW if there is any data degradation on transfer) as it seems a more reliable way to download and resume the app.

You don't need to have Steam running to run LOTRO even if you downloaded it from Steam. I don't have it but normally you can just make an alias or drag the app onto your Dock for a direct shortcut. it patches itself and checks each launch anyhow.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5