We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Universal toolkit

Has anyone bought/tried out the new "universal toolkit" that's available in the store? I was wondering how it worked since the other craft tools are level based for speed and crit chance.

I have it and it gives a +20% crit chance to any crafting profession, such as weaponsmith, scholar, cook, etc, and it gives -3s duration to any gathering profession. This doesn't seem to be level dependent. I tested it with a level 58 and a level 20.

I am disappointed in that I thought you only had to buy it once and all your characters got it, but I guess you buy it once and can swap it to other characters via shared storage, but only one character has it at a time. Still, I expect to buy a couple more for my other characters. Free up some inventory space after all.

Cool - thanks. It does sound nice. I'll probably buy a set for each of my main crafters who can't use Tools of the X yet (since that seems to basically be what the toolkit is, but with no level requirement).

45 durability. I'm hugely disappointed. After the buy, of course, no advance display of the item.

Very nice item and worth buying!

While this item is very awesome, it seems a little overpowered to me for the price it costs.

For 150 TP, you get an item that is account bound and can be put in the shared storage for use by all of your characters. It has 45 Substantial durability, which is better than the 45 Normal durability of most other crafting tools and can be repaired so it is not a limited duration item.

It also has the following stats:

+20% Weaponsmith, Woodworker, Tailor, Cook, Scholar, Jeweler, and Metalsmith Critical Chance.
    -3 seconds Prospector Mining, Farmer Harvesting, and Forester Chopping Duration.

The flavor text reads: "A sturdy set of tools, useable by any crafting profession."

Because it is useable by all professions, it can save up to two inventory slots if it should take the place of a characters Cooking Supplies and Jeweler's Tools, assuming said character has the Universal Toolkit equipped at all times for use as a Prospector's Tool as a Tinker for example.

The 20% critical chance is extraordinary, especially when taking into account that, for example, the Ancient Steel Cooking Supplies requires lv 45 to use and has a 18% Critical Chance with 45 Normal Durability which increases to 20% and 60 Tough Durability should a player get lucky enough to acquire the Superior Ancient Steel Cooking Supplies.

Or a better example would be the Tools of the Tinker which can be learned from a recipe for the Supreme Metalsmith tier and costs 300 TP from the online store. It requires lv 55 to use and gives 18% Critical Chance to both the Jeweler and Cook profession and -2.75 seconds Prospector Mining Duration with 45 Normal Durability. Should the Metalsmith get lucky enough to crit on this item, it becomes the Superior Tools of the Tinker which has a 20% Crit Chance to both the Jeweler and Cook profession and -3 seconds Prospector Mining Duration with a 60 Tough Durability.

Each of the professions has tools from the Supreme Metalsmith tier that will assist the user with their chosen profession. But the Universal Toolkit is the only item that will assist with all the professions and it has no level requirement. Based on the cost of the Tools of the Armourer, Armsman, Explorer, Historian, Tinker, Woodsman, Yeoman, I would estimate the Universal Toolkit to have a selling TP value of at least 1000.

In summary, I believe this item is well worth the 150 TP. Even if the item had a cost of 1500, I would still have bought it. As is, I am buying one for each of my characters before Turbine/WB realizes that they are seriously undercharging this item and end up raising the price.

I had a friend receive this out of a level 30 Lootbox today, our whole group flipped at how astounding it was. I did a quick search and actually found this topic, then promptly picked it up from the store after learning it was just added in the update.

This is a really fantastic item, and is a must-have me for me right up there with extra bags. For being only 150 points, which can be earned quite easily, this is a steal.

Wow I didn't even know this existed! Sounds like the perfect item for "baby crafters." My level 9 burglar with full eastemnet jeweller guild rep will absolutely LOVE this item. And also the craft tool market on the AH is terrible (at least on my server, Gladden).

And thank you Ceinwyn for the very informative reply!

It'd be nice if the lootbox ones were bind-to-account instead of bind-to-character.; Or at the very least 'bind-on equip'
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I think this item is one of the best bargains ever put in the store and have already bought several of them. Thank you very much, Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    I think this item is one of the best bargains ever put in the store and have already bought several of them. Thank you very much, Turbine.
    Can I ask why several? Playing on several servers? The convince of not passing it around?
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

So I was just lucky (as a noob) to pick this up from a level 30 lootbox?

I bought several myself - for the same reason someone else mentioned above. I'm expecting the TP price to skyrocket. I bought five, one for each of my lower leveled crafters, and one for all of the rest of the alts to share while gathering resources (if/when I play them more).

So -that's- what it does?!

Sweet!

TP vs. functionality, I would have to agree that this is a great deal.

On one server, my main (an Explorer) has Superior Ancient Steel tools (except Prospector; just Ancient Steel), which give 20% on tailoring and -3s on chopping (-2.75 on mining); durability is 60, but I can live with 45. However, the crafting alts are only levels 15-22, so they're still "limping along" with Superior Iron tools.

On another server, my main (also an Explorer) just reached level 25 (thanks to the XP from the 2012 Yule Festival), and the alts have just reached level 14, so they all have (or were about to have) Superior Iron tools as well.

I'll likely get one Universal Toolkit per server, leaving it in shared storage when not crafting (which is most of the time anyway). No more re-crafting tools and having the alts lag behind the main on tool capability. Thanks, Turbine! :-D
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000011cfe8/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011; Intel Core i7 quad core 2 GHz/8GB) • OS X 10.10 • Parallels 9 • Windows 7 SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    It'd be nice if the lootbox ones were bind-to-account instead of bind-to-character.; Or at the very least 'bind-on equip'
    This! I won this out of a Riddermark loot-box, but am already using tools that are better than this. Without it being account bound, the loot-box version is worthless to an end-gamer.

/sadface
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001d7bc7/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Like many I have a raft of alts, some level but most just craft.

While my levelling alts use the crafted tools (Supreme for my l58 Cappie and Riddermark for capped Champ) I have bought a couple of these for my crafting cook and scholar/farmer, as these tools fill what I have seen as key gap for a while on crafting alts.

My cook is a Hobbit, he quested to L7 (Archet etc.) then went home to Michael Delving and hasn't been further than the waymeet campfire since. He does a mean line in pies, and his cherry soup is quite spectacular, but the problem he's had is no matter how many he cooks, he was bumping along at 5% crit chance - i.e. practice does not make perfect.

These tools are perfect, as he can now crit almost as well as my capped Champ and as such it lets my crafting alts 'improve' which helps me from an immersion point of view.

I have only purchased then for those crafting alts who craft like crazy (consumables basically), though may be about to get one for my jeweller - starting to do hoards of tokens for kinnies.

I love crafting so I bought a couple of these toolkits myself.
    Yet I'm still wondering why it costs only 150TP. Not that I'm complaining, but the only reason I can think of, is that Turbine wants to promote shared storage (and wants you to buy some), since you need it to be able to share the toolkits across your crafting toons.

Quote Originally Posted by WiltenRose View Post
    This! I won this out of a Riddermark loot-box, but am already using tools that are better than this. Without it being account bound, the loot-box version is worthless to an end-gamer.

/sadface
    Yep. +1
    I bought one from the store when they first came out which is bound to account. I then got another one a couple of days later in my sack of presents at the festival which was bound to char - no problem, I just gave the store bought one to one of my alts, then I got another a week ago from a lootbox which is also bound to char so is basically unusable.

Shared Storage I is 995 TP, 6 of these are 900TP. So if you have 6 or less alts and don't have shared storage, buying one per toon is cheaper.

I have one on all 5 of my toons lol.

Quote Originally Posted by or_bill68 View Post
    Shared Storage I is 995 TP, 6 of these are 900TP. So if you have 6 or less alts and don't have shared storage, buying one per toon is cheaper.
    BUT if you buy shared storage, 9 slots remain to put other things into.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    45 durability. I'm hugely disappointed. After the buy, of course, no advance display of the item.
    It's durability is also down as substantial which seems on par with the tough level that the crit crafteds have.

While we may never see the sales figures on this I'd be curious to find out how many people opted to just buy more than one even with shared storage already usable on their account.

I got a couple for my lowbies when it first appeared thanks to the price and my suspicion that turbine skipped a 0 off the end as it was such a good account bound item. Especially when it came out with the much asked for xp disabler that costs a lot more and is per character.

This is one of the few decent things turbine has done for low level crafters for ages. Now all the need to do is to bring the tiers up to the same standard as the top one, ie adding the ability to process to level the craft.

Thumbs up Awesome kit

I spotted this kit equipped on a random I inspected and after reading this thread, bought a set to use between my alts.

Best thing I've spent TP on for a long time - absolute bargain compared to some of the single use junk costing much more.

Buy it while you can, crafters!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001a2efa/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

After this weekens Lootbox bonanza I now have 5 of them.
    4 of them are unfortunately bound making 3 of them totally useless.
    Please, please change this, virtually everything else in lootboxes is tradeable so why not the Toolkit?

If this can't be fixed and Turbine really wants to make some cash then they should make a 'Scroll of Unbinding' or similar. I'd buy a few of them if they were priced reasonably. *like 100TP

Quote Originally Posted by Moneydie View Post
    It's durability is also down as substantial which seems on par with the tough level that the crit crafteds have.

While we may never see the sales figures on this I'd be curious to find out how many people opted to just buy more than one even with shared storage already usable on their account.
    One here. All actively crafting (ie. not merely collecting/processing) toons of mine have one each.
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    It is "Substantial" durablity, though. From what I've seen leveling several crafters with these, it seems to be quite a bit more durable than comparable "tough" tools.
    Ketani

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast