We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdinanda View Post
    where Bilbo rescues the fallen Thorin from Azog. Ridiculous, and contrary to Tolkien's whole portrayal of Bilbo's strength lying more in his wits than in his melee skills. I suppose PJ and Co. wanted some kind of "resolution" to close out the first film, but this was just lame.

I guess the writers want to include more character development than Tolkien did, or something.
    WHAT "melee" skills? Are we watching the same film? Bilbo swung his sword like a darn goof and if it weren't for the other dwarves joining in, he would of perished.

One thing I didn't like? Why are there ORCS in this darn movie? There were just goblins in the book.

I liked the animated "the hobbit" better when there's this trippy magical effect right after the goblin king shrieks "Glamdring the Foe Hammer!" in despair. Next thing you know, they are all lying dead or stunned...
    Last edited by fack; Apr 01 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Yep. The animated version is a little more loyal in some respects. And why did Gandalf produce regular fire from his staff onto the pinecones instead of blue-flamed fire like in the book? That would hardly have been difficult to change with computer graphics or whatever to blue colour.
    [B]Hitchens[/B](r9 warg)[B], [/B][B]Glasgow[/B](R9 LM), [B]Lintalthir[/B] (R10 Hunter), [B]Rithun[/B] (R6 Captain) Brandywine server.
    [I]I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by fack View Post
    WHAT "melee" skills? Are we watching the same film? Bilbo swung his sword like a darn goof and if it weren't for the other dwarves joining in, he would of perished.
    I don't know, it looked like Bilbo acquired melee skills pretty quickly. He killed the little orc, then fought off another orc and Azog as the dwarves came to fight, then the eagles arrived.

All in all, a lovely fan-fiction scene, but nothing to do with The Hobbit.

I liked the animated version very much, too.
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Too much Epic Thorin. I liked the actor, although I though he was too young and pretty. I liked the movie. I just disliked the multiple scenes of Thorin staring epically out at something while Balin told his story.

Too much bird poop on Radagast, and sorry but the rabbit sleigh was just stupid.

I really missed the poetry/songs. I always enjoyed those the most in the book

The stone giants were cool, but not right for this movie. They didn't have the right "look."

I think 3 movies is going to be too many. I wish PJ had told a more concise story and kept it to two.
    Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (resting) BA
    Clarysta
    - Lvl 105 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4
    Twitter - @clarystainsun

Another legit complaint would be that there wasn't black Orc, Warg & Goblin blood. One arrow or sword attack after another didn't produce black blood.

If they have a policy not to do it, why was it okay for TLotR?

I really missed the poetry/songs
    Some of them are in the first movie. Even the Misty Mountains Cold, which is played in the party & in the credits at the end.
    [B]Hitchens[/B](r9 warg)[B], [/B][B]Glasgow[/B](R9 LM), [B]Lintalthir[/B] (R10 Hunter), [B]Rithun[/B] (R6 Captain) Brandywine server.
    [I]I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP [/I]

Unhappy

I thought it was good, but could have been 100,000,000,000,000 times better. Soooo many parts where I was just like "No...no...come on...please don't let this part really be as silly as I think it's going to be...aw, durnit." For example: the whole company falls hundreds of feet down with shards of wood flying all around them and then a giant goblin falls on top of them, and no one is hurt. They tried to make it make sense by making the wood platform scrape down the somehow perfectly narrow space between two cliffs, slowing it down, but really...just...come on.

The main problem, aside from all the times everyone barely escapes death in extremely improbable ways, was Azog. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOLG!!!!!!! It would have worked perfectly if Dáin Ironfoot had killed Azog, and then Bolg wants revenge, just like in the book. Or maybe even Thorin cuts off Bolg's hand or something to give him even more reason to hate him. They just went waaaaaaay too far from Toliens writings with this one.

But really, we shouldn't care too much about it. It's not like they can change the books or anything. Even The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, in comparison to the books, is kind of un-epic (to use word "epic" correctly for once). Of course, without the books, the movies are incredible, but still—remember they're not trying to recreate Middle-earth in film as accurately as possible. They're just trying to make a bunch of money whether their movies deserve it or not.

From what I can see, when PJ stuck to the story, he did very well, but when he was doing the stuff from the LotR Appendicies, he failed miserably. I was just looking through the tale of years and found out that he had the corruption of mirkwood off by almost 2000 years (for example). Many of the problems came from little things that he left out of LotR, like Bolg could not be Azog's son, because orcs spring out of holes in the ground according to PJ or Elrond going out and fighting because he didn't have Elladad, Elrohir, or Glorfindel. Not to mention the silliness of the dwarves in general because of the precedent he set with Gimli.

He also crossed the line between childlike, which is beautiful, and childish, which is not. The book was childlike, the movie, almost childish.

I am still wondering how pitch black tunnels turned into wide open cavernous spaces.

Why was he riding a moose, and why did he have such a big scrotum beard?
    Lore-Monkey(not a Lore Guardian) and proud of it.

What's wrong with an Elf riding a moose?

I loved the movie, and after watching it, I re-read those parts of the book. When I found this thread, I was surprised that some people were saying that Azog wasn't in the books. While he did play a larger role in the film than in Tolkien's original novel, he is indeed in the book:

Gandalf: "Your grandfather Thrór was killed, you remember, in the Mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin."

Thorin: "Curse his name, yes!"

With that off my chest, the only thing about the movie that disappointed me was the fact that the goblins didn't sing while bringing the Dwarves "down to Goblin Town."

Quote Originally Posted by CarltheRed View Post
    What's wrong with an Elf riding a moose?
    Sorry, inside joke. A couple of friends and I went to see it together when it came out and it was so odd that we have since gotten into a pattern of just saying Why was he riding a moose? for no apparent reason.
    Lore-Monkey(not a Lore Guardian) and proud of it.

Lol, okay

Quote Originally Posted by wardenofrivendell View Post
    I loved the movie, and after watching it, I re-read those parts of the book. When I found this thread, I was surprised that some people were saying that Azog wasn't in the books. While he did play a larger role in the film than in Tolkien's original novel, he is indeed in the book:

Gandalf: "Your grandfather Thrór was killed, you remember, in the Mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin."

Thorin: "Curse his name, yes!"

With that off my chest, the only thing about the movie that disappointed me was the fact that the goblins didn't sing while bringing the Dwarves "down to Goblin Town."

People aren't actually saying that Azog wasn't in the books, he was briefly mentioned in the Hobbit, in the passage quoted by you above, and in much more detail in the appendices of LotR.

The fact is though that Azog was killed in the war of the Dwarves and Orcs in TA 2799 by Thorin Oakenshield, some nine years after Azog killed Thror, and more than one hundred and forty years before the events in the Hobbit.

What most people are objecting to (rightfully in my opinion), is that Jackson could have simply used Azog's son Bolg to fulfill the exact same plot line. He was certainly out for revenge on the dwarf who killed his old man, and he was actually alive at the time, in fact it was he who led the goblins in the Battle of the Five Armies.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Except Azog was killed by Dáin, not Thorin.

Quote Originally Posted by EkErilaz View Post
    I stand corrected
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

I liked the movie a lot. I don't understand why a lot of people have to get nit-picky about the small details. Sure there are things he changed I didn't like, Azog being alive being one of them, but overall I think PJ did an excellent job with this movie. I love that he is doing this bit with the necromancer, as I feel that will be the stronger plot in the second and third movie.

The main reason, at least i feel, that people didn't like it as much as LOTR is the fact that PJ was trying to tie in the movie with LOTR. Otherwise the people who have only seen the movies would be the ones throwing a fit saying it was confusing and didn't fit in with LOTR. Which that is the case really, the Hobbit is completely different from LOTRO.
    Last edited by epochofwar; Apr 04 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ef038/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by voalkrynn2 View Post
    Thankfully we were not assaulted by the Jar Jar of Middle Earth.
    Um... yes we where Radagast was in a way like the Jar-Jar of middle-earth.
    "The Grey-Company were the bravest, and the Best mortal soldiers in Middle-Earth, Excellent with spear and bow and sword."

I think it was a horrible adaptation and deserves to be locked forever in the Void.

The 1980 animated The Hobbit movie was better. The reason is The Hobbit is a children's book, so the animation fit well.

The new movie is horrible because it was all sexy dwarves, dwarven angst, and all serious stuff, then it tried to be funny in parts but failed.

"Um... yes we where Radagast was in a way like the Jar-Jar of middle-earth."

There's always one nearby in real life. Why should PJ have left out such a personality?

Sure, he could have given Radagast a more dry, non-catchy persona, but he's pretty much a blank slate given lack of Tolkien portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fainecarth View Post
    I think it was a horrible adaptation and deserves to be locked forever in the Void.

The 1980 animated The Hobbit movie was better. The reason is The Hobbit is a children's book, so the animation fit well.

The new movie is horrible because it was all sexy dwarves, dwarven angst, and all serious stuff, then it tried to be funny in parts but failed.
    I like the new movie a lot better than the animated Hobbit. All those animated fantasy movies in the late 70s and early 80s just looked so bad production wise.

I like the modern LOTR and Hobbit movies a lot better.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I like the new movie a lot better than the animated Hobbit. All those animated fantasy movies in the late 70s and early 80s just looked so bad production wise.

I like the modern LOTR and Hobbit movies a lot better.
    To be fair even for the time i think the movie had a fairly low budget. I can't remember it much though.
    I do have fond memories of the Lord of the Rings animation, although there might be some rose coloured glasses involved.

As for the movie, i really didn't like it that much. I wasn't a huge fan of the Lotr movies either, but they were enjoyable
    as action fantasy movies. If i didn't really think about it being supposed to be Lotr.
    Anyways i can't even do that for the hobbit, the movie goes from boring lengths to scenes with way too much CGI to scenes were i just want to facepalm. I'm not even really going to pretend it had much to do with the hobbit book.
    Oh and on a special note: Pretty dwarves without real beards ? Really ?
    I will watch it again once the extended is out and i can rent it somewhere just to see what is new, but i have little hope there.

I watched it in the cinema, just watched the DVD at the weekend and it's disappointing.

The main issues for me are:

(1) the decision to split it into 3 films, which means that a lot of scenes have to be invented (and the production team are no JRR Tolkien) and the existing source material (where used) is stretched too thin. This means that when existing material is then changed or cut short (like the Dwarves' song before leaving, or the Trolls being defeated by Bilbo's time wasting not by Gandalf's cleverness) it's a lot harder to accept.
    (2.) Overuse of CGI really does harm the look of the film. I've read elsewhere that it's more like a TV documentary than a film. I think having real people there, not CGI makes a big difference.
    (3.). Azog being included not Bolg.
    (4.). The padding scenes with Bilbo and Frodo.
    (5.). The emphasis on Thorin as an excellent warrior, who now wields Orcrist, slicing his way through countless goblins in Goblin Town building up to the battle with Azog. Who then knocks Thorin out of the way without much thought.
    (6.). The film being caught between the childlike fantasy and wonder of the book and the epic serious drama and being not enough of either.
    (7.). Very few moments that captured the magic of the book. I was looking forward to so much, like the Riddle game, or even when Bilbo first meets Gandalf outside Bag End, but it's overshadowed by too many long tracking shots of New Zealand, or focus on characters who weren't in the book.

Don't get me wrong, it was good, and the source material was there in patches, but I was always aware it was just a film. There were parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy where I got lost in Middle Earth and got the impression that it was Tolkien's words come to life.
    "If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be kept secret to keep them so."

1. Radagast was done too poorly with the rabbits, sleigh, and it seemed he ordered his clothes from Bird Poop Monthly Catalog.

2. Elrond and Elves hunting the Orcs

3. Trollshaws landscape

4. Wargs looked more like overgrown cat-puppies then vicious breeds of Wolves

5. Spider spazz attack: Oh lets go attack this hut, oh wait the Old Man healed a porrcupine! Retreat the mission has failed!

6. Female Dwarves

7. Dale's location (Dale should be more on a river not a hill top...)

Not enough dwarves. Simple as that.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

[/CENTER]

Realy?!? Nobody has yet mentioned that Aule-damned slingshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    The fact is though that Azog was killed in the war of the Dwarves and Orcs in TA 2799 by Thorin Oakenshield, some nine years after Azog killed Thror, and more than one hundred and forty years before the events in the Hobbit.

What most people are objecting to (rightfully in my opinion), is that Jackson could have simply used Azog's son Bolg to fulfill the exact same plot line. He was certainly out for revenge on the dwarf who killed his old man, and he was actually alive at the time, in fact it was he who led the goblins in the Battle of the Five Armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by EkErilaz View Post
    What I'm worried about is that having not had Dáin kill Azog, or even have him in the battle, are they going to remove him entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Oh and on a special note: Pretty dwarves without real beards ? Really ?
    I think the point was that they were too young to have grown beards, but I'm probably wrong.

I didn't like the Witch-king stuff. Not because of the prophecy (as that still works even with PJs meddling) but rather because if he was burried in Angmar, he couldn't take Minas Ithil and make the challenge to Eärnur.

I actually didn't mind Elrond orc hunting, as Elrond had once been a general in a war. He commanded Lindon's advance force in the War of Elves and Sauron and I'm pretty sure there was fighting involved there, even if his task as Gil-galad's herald in the War of Last Alliance didn't require any, though given the Gil-galad fought in the front of the battle, there probably was. The main problem I thought was that there were orcs there to start with.

I'm not a huge fan of the butterfly being used to summon eagles, as it gives the impression an ancient race is in fact Gandalf's private taxi service.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast