We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Healing Tips for a Greenie Defiler?

I have a rank 4, nearly rank 5, defiler and I could use some advice. With all of the talk on the forums about defilers leeching comms/inf, I want to make sure I'm not counted as one of those and that I'm actually healing people who need it. I've also never really played a healing class, so keep that in mind as well. ^_^

Currently, when I'm in a group/raid I heal through the RAT, while doing my best to keep an eye on the morale of everyone in the raid. If I'm not grouped and it's a Grams camp or rez camp, I just tab through to see who isn't at full morale and/or who is running back towards me and try to focus my heals on them.

That being said, my questions are:

1. What is the best way to target for heals in a raid?
    2. Are there specific classes that I should be focusing my heals on, or not worrying too much about?
    3. When not in a group, is there an easier way than just tabbing through other players?
    4. What if I'm a raid assist, how does that change my job as a healer?

On a slightly different note, what resources are out there for defilers? I've been to the BAoS site, and while it is great, the defiler section is currently missing tactics. Does anyone know of any defiler-specific sites/guides? Searching through Google and this site, I haven't been able to really find much.

I don't pretend to know everything about the class, I still feel like I learn something new about Defilers all the time; but these are some general tips that have helped me throughout my experience:

Always be aware of your surroundings and the location of both Freeps and Creeps during battles. Know where the Mini's/RK's stand, your Warleaders are, the Heavies and who they're bashing, and so on.
    Don't stand in one place for long, as you'll shortly have Guards, Champs, etc. harassing your heals. Stay on your toes! Slow or fear them if they're consistent.
    It can become difficult in big fights, but throwing out Flies + Curse of the Melancholic Heart on healers and Blight on top of condensed groups should be a part of your game plan also.
    Don't be afraid to push into the back of Freep raids. Throw some HoTs on yourself, get into the back and drop a fear bomb on ranged and/or healers, whoever is causing the most trouble in your situation. You will become a main target, but your other healers (assuming you have at least a WL) should keep you up in order to make it back safely. This usually gives your DPS classes a window to strike on some squishy targets!

I generally cycle through my raid vitals for heals, though I like to keep certain Freep target callers selected so I can heal through that. It pays to know your enemy! Get familiar with Freep leaders and their target callers. It helps to know who you're grouped with too, and who is likely to be focus fired on (will it be your high-ranked leader calling the shots, or a Warg that Freeps have a vendetta against? lol). WL's and most Weavers probably demand the least amount of attention apart from when they're being focused on. Wargs are usually the class that are easily blown up, so keep an eye on them and your Reavers who will lead the charge. Try not to waste your big heal on a bubbled target unless absolutely necessary; just throw some HoTs on them and they should be fine. Put up Efflo' up at every opportunity.

As for out of group, as I said above, heal through Freep targets. But don't just focus on vitals, be aware of everyone on the battlefield and who is charging who, the Creeps that have over-extended, who the Hunters are firing at... numbers and green bars can only tell you so much, looking with your own eyes gives you greater anticipation!

Unfortunately I have no resources as far as info on Defilers go, everything I've learned has been through trial and error. Experiment with your Corruptions, there is no right or wrong - some prefer to be traited to survivability (max health + mitigation) and other like a damage/heal build. I still tend to swap builds every now and then, though I'm quite happy with Mitigation, Mastery, and Health. Playing a Defiler is no walk in the park, and can become increasingly frustrating. But if you stick to it, the rewards are worth it! I hope this helps a little mate; It looks like you're on my server anyway, so if you can catch me online then don't hesitate to ask any questions!
    [CENTER][URL=http://s236.photobucket.com/user/InfernalCKY/media/puuding1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/InfernalCKY/puuding1.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Tyene View Post
    I have a rank 4, nearly rank 5, defiler and I could use some advice. With all of the talk on the forums about defilers leeching comms/inf, I want to make sure I'm not counted as one of those and that I'm actually healing people who need it. I've also never really played a healing class, so keep that in mind as well. ^_^

Currently, when I'm in a group/raid I heal through the RAT, while doing my best to keep an eye on the morale of everyone in the raid. If I'm not grouped and it's a Grams camp or rez camp, I just tab through to see who isn't at full morale and/or who is running back towards me and try to focus my heals on them.

2. Are there specific classes that I should be focusing my heals on, or not worrying too much about?
    3. When not in a group, is there an easier way than just tabbing through other players?
    4. What if I'm a raid assist, how does that change my job as a healer?

On a slightly different note, what resources are out there for defilers? I've been to the BAoS site, and while it is great, the defiler section is currently missing tactics. Does anyone know of any defiler-specific sites/guides? Searching through Google and this site, I haven't been able to really find much.
    Lets start at the beginning: completely ignore the idiots who are complaining of leaching. Those are the same folks that will send you a tell yelling about why you didnt heal them when you were standing right there. What they are really complaining about is the fact you get equivalent reward for keeping them up to collect the killing blow.

In the raid, I keep heal rotation on every member of my group in the raid to start. Use the group heal and alternate the two instas. This is a good road practice so if you are running somewhere, cast the instas constantly and the group as soon as you stop for a sec. If you have extra or are in the leader group, keep heals on the leader as much as possible. Hes supposed to stear the group around not worry about dieing.

In the fight, my rotation looks like group heal, blight, explosive gourd, heal, heal, constant pain. Start again.
    Lay flies on anything that moves especially wardens. They may be self healing tanks but are useless with no power. Same with minis btw.

Blight as soon as possible but pick targets for tactical advantage. Make the freeps run through the stuff so you might want to pick folks in the center of the freeps rather than on the edges.

Fear cappies that get too close. You will find that guards and cappies will become your bane if they group and chase you. Have a tank or two to bail you out if that happens. If you have sufficient healing, this is where crosshealing really helps.

Ignore burgs as theres not much you can do. However, if you get a chance, Flaming or Explosive gourd does a nice dot that keeps them nailed down.

Cast all your heals on yourself and charge the back lines and kill/distrupt the healer/hunters/noobs that hang in the back. Once they start running around to get away from your nasty defiler, that freep raid is done. Situational but fun tactic.

One of your two melee attacks has a 25% stun on it. Use it a LOT on LMs, especially ones that like to get in close. (Burgs too...) Its pretty funny watching them spin around with all that dps while WL rip them appart.

Thats pretty much it. Think boxing in a team setting: you keep the team up and pester them around the edges until they make a dumb mistake and blat.. field of dead freeps.

4. What if I'm a raid assist, how does that change my job as a healer??

1-Eyeballs. Keep an eye on everyone morale bars and send heals using your priority healing list (see below).

2-Use a healing priority list. In raid vs raid action, creeps will die, theres nothing you can do about it. But you can use your healing to keep valuable targets up while letting others going down because, well, you cannot save everyone. Theres no way you can save that greeny noob with no Audacity, whos keep charging in freeps line and being focus fired. Do what you can but stop feeling guilty when hes going down.

Priority healing list for defilers (IMO) should be ==>

A- Yourself (not because you are a diva or selfish, but because a dead defiler cannot help anyone).
    B- Raid leader and RTA (if those guys go down, it affect the overall effiency of the raid and can easily lead to a wipe)
    C- Other healers (Defilers /WLs). Ignore Gold Taggers, as they are playing the class only for easy Infamy.
    D- Your group members. Those guys are counting on you to get their backs, be trustworthy.
    E- Other raid members. If you have time to cross heal, do it, to help relieve the burden on fellow healers.

3-When you see Reavers/wargs coming back from a deep ennemy line strike, being slowed/Focus fired, they most likely gonna need your help. Otherwise, keep an eye around you for Focused fired people and tab them to see their current state and send heals if required.

4-I assuming you mean Healing Target Assist here. I would suggest to fallow your healing priority list, which would make it only more efficient and requires less time spent on the same target.

On a slightly different note, what resources are out there for defilers?

As other very good defilers already posted, i would suggest to seek advise from defilers vets in those forums but the bulk of your personnal knowledge will come from battlefields experience. Good luck out there
    Chieftain Biohazaard - Rank 12 Defiler
    The Witch Kings Seventh Legion - Brandywine

In regards to this, you've probably already got it turned-on but for any other aspiring defilers; In the Escape menu - Combat Options there are a few boxes you can tick that say something along the lines of "Show vitals of my selections target" and "Enable skill target forwarding".
    With these ticked you can see what the hunters, champs and other big-hitters are focusing fire on, and if you go to use a heal with the freep selected it will redirect the heal to the freep's target, presuming its legal.

Something other experiences of my own, Blessing of Darkness, the defiler bubble, is a pretty specific tool, and not one that I would make regular use of unless you are pretty confident on what you are doing.
    Because it redirects the damage of the target to you, and that target is generally being focused on as they're squishy, the damage that you'll receive tends to be astronomically high and not something you want to sustain for long. If you're going to use this stop the skill by moving after about 3 seconds - generally the freeps (that I know at least) will give up on a target thats bubbled and move onto another after this time. Unfortunately for you, since Blessing of Darkness is the most obvious skill in the moors, they'll often move onto you since you've basically taken their beating and most likely will be very low on morale. Get those HoTs rolling

Thanks all, for your advice, it's exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. ^_^

Fawulf - I have to admit my situational awareness is less than stellar at the moment, something I'll be sure to work on. You're not kidding about the Guards either. Pretty hard to stay on my toes when they keep knocking me on my a** lol I've been out on my warg long enough to recognize freep names and some leaders, but I definitely still need to work on who typically heals vs dps, and other class specifics, not to mention what strategies they use.

whitefox - I like the priority healing list, it makes a chaotic situation more organized. I did mean Healing Target Assist, you're right, and using that list makes complete sense.

I think you've all mentioned Blight. I don't have access to that yet being such a low rank. I'm not opposed to buying skills in the store, though I prefer to keep it to a minimum. Is Blight considered a must-have skill or is it just a commonly bought one? Are there any must-have skills, for that matter? I don't mind buying a couple of skills from the store, but I'd rather spend the TP on other things, to be honest.

Just another tip, as I really dont care if someone thinks I am leeching comms. I am healing thier.. asdfas .. so I should get something sometimes, because that HoT on them will save them a pot.

<F9> key (Function 9) targets closest player, be it freep or creep.
    <Shift F9> (Shift key + F9 at the same time) cycles through the closest targets in range of area.
    <F1> targets you.

If creeps dont want to group, as they dont appear to often on my server, it allows you to heal effectively. If you end up targeting a freep, either dot him or move on.

The one I forget a lot so far is the F1, and end up dead before I realize the freeps were targeting the healers.

Is Blight considered a must-have skill or is it just a commonly bought one? Are there any must-have skills, for that matter?
    Blight is a powerful, but very situational skill. Very useful in PvE, where you can burn down fast tons of NPCs, also powerful in PvP in confine areas, like keeps gates/stairs and OP, but a complete waiste in openfield battles.

Flies does more qualify for the term *must-have*, being useful in any situation, either indoor or outdoor, solo or group/raid.

Blessing of Darkness (if you decide to buy it) is useful, but see it as a last resort. Each seconds you spend on a specific target allow other targets morale to go down and may eventually result in casulties that you could have prevented. Use it wisely.

Curse of Deadly Sorrow is the most powerful debuff, and pretty much the only one worth casting, except if you want to hide it after a weaker one, to prevent potting from the freep target.

Hope this help
    Chieftain Biohazaard - Rank 12 Defiler
    The Witch Kings Seventh Legion - Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox1313 View Post
    Blight is a powerful, but very situational skill. Very useful in PvE, where you can burn down fast tons of NPCs, also powerful in PvP in confine areas, like keeps gates/stairs and OP, but a complete waiste in openfield battles.
    In open field fight you can use blight as a means to keep freeps moving instead of setting up. The real value of blight is the incoming heal debuff, especially when coordinated with topple. The damage tick is pretty tiny, but agreed best maximized by your examples.
    Sniz(defiler) / Johanson(cappy)

thnx from another greenie def

thank you all for your advice. i am another rank 4 def just barely able to keep up. i dont have group heal, dont have blight yet, and am usually singled out as an easy target by the freeps. I leech, yes,but the low ranking def has no dps skills - how else do we get the comms and the inf to get to where we can do some good. I really really really appreciate this thread.
    puzror kittenkicker
    there, they're, their

I'd like to throw in a tip: when you feel a fight is about to happen, put a couple of HoT's on the reavers in your group, before the crazy so-and-so's charge into the freeps.
    This will help keep them up during their initial charge, (they often go out of heal range for a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by qweqwrq View Post
    thank you all for your advice. i am another rank 4 def just barely able to keep up. i dont have group heal, dont have blight yet, and am usually singled out as an easy target by the freeps. I leech, yes,but the low ranking def has no dps skills - how else do we get the comms and the inf to get to where we can do some good. I really really really appreciate this thread.
    puzror kittenkicker
    If you are in the fight keeping creeps alive, you aren't leeching. That's your job and you get points for it now (cue grumpy stories of "back in my day defilers had to walk 10 miles in the snow in bare feet just to get 2 infamy...") Don't be discouraged by the negativity about new defilers. Of course, that said, don't just be in it for the points. There's a difference between leeching and fighting, the fact that you post some worry about it probably means you're doing it right.
    Sniz(defiler) / Johanson(cappy)